Options

Swashbuckler 2011 is open

Comments

• Options
    Sleep well, race well, mince like a pirate      image
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Are they nearly there yet?

Hope no one's swash comes unbuckled - that would really bugger up their aerodynamicityness.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hope the Swashing is going well, ideally slightly less wind than we've got at the moment!
  • Options

Probably all still filling their faces at after race buffet.........when you've finished the sausage rolls there are some race reports to do guysimage

• Options

too fecked. Maybe later. Got call on way back home to rendevous with family at the park for football and play! How cruel. Finally home where I can bask in the glory of my 33 minute PB!

Report to follow but in summary, swim was uphill (though perhaps not as uphill as last year), ride was 2 laps into a headwind (much windier than last year), run ditto!

Still, given we were assembling bikes and transition in the dark, windy, rain, it definitely got better fortunately!

• Options
    Swim v. poor
    Bike quite poor
    Run not as poor as the other two but still a long way from potential - gotta take the positives.

Cracking race (course, organisation and atmosphere) and no excuses. Not good enough on the day but felt good to be back at the coalface.

Could have been worse I could have been the guy who got a puncture less than 2miles from T1 or the other guy who got one less than 2miles from T2. There's always something to brighten your day out there if you're prepared to look hard enough.

Chapeau to Rosey and Dozer. I guess I'll take some crumb of comfort that you were worrying about me appearing on the run...I did...at the finish ten minutes after you two fckrs ;o)

Cracking weekend spent with the Admiral swashing our buckles in the Love Bus.

As you were.
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Hello

I have swashed in disguise!

Met Gladys and Meface - thanks for saying hello chaps.  Introduced self to Happychap in the water at the start!  Saw Henny a couple of times and Henny and Trogs again at the car loading up.

Hard day for me, that swim is tough, and then we had headwinds EVERYWHERE! Felt improved in some areas though, def an improvement on Bala 2009 in terms of being comfortable on the run and having something left.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Oh and I am such a donut.

Nobody told me the water is salty. I got in, almost got straight out again!

• Options
    Well done one and all, sounds like it was a tough day out there. Great job on the PB Gladys bet your well chuffed image
  • Options
    M.ouse wrote (see)

D'oh! Dont forget the dieselly after-taste!

M.ouse wrote (see)

RC. wrote (see)
    Well done one and all, sounds like it was a tough day out there. Great job on the PB Gladys bet your well chuffed image
    Cheers, I am feeling pretty happy, thanks. Just crunching the numbers now. All aprt of the fun, but basically I need to learn to swim!
  • Options
    Top Swashing guys

Nice to see even CRAB slows up with age   image

• Options
    I'm may be losing my speed but it seems you're losing none of your fckn charm ;o)

As you Werthers original!
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Well done everyone, some great performances out there today.  image Sadly both Toucs and I can't count ours as one of them.

Toucs has a problem with motion sickness.  It only took him three quarters of a lap to crawl out on his knees and nearly vomit over a well meaning marshal.  He's such a wuss image

Not feeling confident after lots of bad omens (well thats how I took being stood on, not being able to swallow any of the pre race dinner because of muscle cramp and then Trogs throwing her bike at my calf <she'll tell you it was the wind but don't believe her> ) I did the honourable thing and threw myself to the floor on the way down to the water <I'll tell you it was slippy wet grass but don't believe me>. 

Anyway, said self flaggelation resulted in one broken toe, one suspected broken toe and knee ligament damage. imageimage

Result.

Popped into the water to say Hi to Mouse and then climbed out at the same point Toucs did (just to make him feel better).

Oh deary.  Just over 10 weeks to IMR start doing get well dances if you please.    image

• Options

Started the swim at the front just behind a couple of friends who I know I can hang on to their feet, proceeded to get well and truely battered for the first lap in probably the roughest swim I have done since IM Nice in 08.  Took a while to get some feet.  Got out in a dissapointing 30 mins.  Long run up the hill to transition - shoes and helmet on and off on the bike. 

Plan was to try and push hard on the bike as it would be my strength and I needed to bike well if I was going to hold off CRAB and Rosey to T2.  Small stop to tear of the valve cover on my disk that started to flap cosy me about 30 secs.  Got caught by Rosey on the second lap and we road pretty much together (legally I must add) alternating the lead back to T2.  It helped keep me honest and push  hard when it would have been easy to back off.

In to T2 sock and shoes on, garmin picked up and out we went.  Settled into a comfortable rythmn for the first lap, but started to drop back at 10 miles as I started to struggle for a couple of miles.  Once on the final off road section, I dug deep anticipating CRAB coming past at any second, but mnaged to stay strong until the last hill to the finish.  Great support from lots of friends at the finish (advantage of being local).  One of my friends reminded me I was close to 4:30 so one final surge to get home in 4:29:51

Swim (inc t1) 33.31
    Bike 2.13.03
    Run (inc t2) 1.43.17

Great venue, support and race.  Nice cakes at the finish.  Would thoroughly recommend this for next year.  Great to catch up with a few friends who I dont see that often.

• Options
    Couldn't Run A Bath wrote (see)
    I'm may be losing my speed but it seems you're losing none of your fckn charm ;o) As you Werthers original!
    I miss you too   image

HC ... I dont think that was in the game plan was it?   You will have to speak to Seren on the broken toe part, I foresee a lot of biking coming your way in the next few weeks !!!
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

HC ... I dont think that was in the game plan was it?   You will have to speak to Seren on the broken toe part, I foresee a lot of biking coming your way in the next few weeks !!!
    Erm no but TBH any excuse for a quick lie down. imageAnd yes, lots of cycling.  image
  • Options
    0515 was a silly time to start a race anyway   image

Any news on Joddly??
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm here!

I'm too tired to post properly - getting up at 3am doesn't agree with me.

However, I have the 3rd LV45 trophy sitting on the kitchen table, and it's really mine this time!

More tomorrow, I think. But highlights include freezing on the bike leg, and doing the whole run with Jezza Feather himself!

It was lovely to see everyone today. Night night.
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone - sounds a tough event especially in a wind like today image
  • Options
    Nice one Joddly, sleep well and will catch up soon  image

Slim, you up for a MK bike ride poss BH Monday? 
  • Options

Doozer - was that you I sprinted past in the last cpl of hundred yards?

Managed 4th (I think it was) fastest run.

Like I said to you I am running well at the moment (2.46 mara etc). BUT swimming..................44mins lol. Massive navigational issues and biff. And just a poor swimmer. I thought i was improving but obv not.

I was wearing a tri talk tri suit. Good to see so many pirates there - you always brighten the place up!

• Options
    Not sure, I wasn't in pirate kit - I certainly was in no fit state for sprinting!
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Melds- I cant on BH Monday - family business, but I am looking for a training day on the Sat if that's any good?
  • Options
    It was doozer, putt putt finished in TT kit just behind me,

Great to catch everyone again

Ok swim, not my strong point but felt good when I got into T1 and Doozer was still there, so I did the charitable thing and let him 'know' I was there by saying, ' great swim Loz' ?

It then took me 30 miles to catch him on the bike, we then stuck together for the last 20 at legal distance, plenty of draft busters around and we were never in danger. Like Loz says, kept us both honest when we wanted to maybe back off, had to pee for 10 miles but couldn't back off enough to ease the flow so glad to manage to sort that before T2, bloody car has stunk all the way home !!

Into T2 and we both came out together running at a good pace to chat, chill and let the blood flow to feet for 2 miles, then we both shut up for the next 5 to the start of lap 2. I dont think a mile went by without me thinking when to kick for home and I am sure we were both doing the same, feeling out the others pace, no unsportsmanlike surges but we were also both aware that CRAB is a mighty fine runner and we had no idea on his swim. After FP camp we were both very aware of his biking.

At 10 miles I missed an aid station and Liz went for water so I just maintained pave and after another 0.5 mile he wasn't on my shoulder so I just tried to hold pace minus 15 secs to keep it that way and if he got back on then I would go again. I also knew this was CRAB time and needed to concentrate.

We were in traffic too so I picked a person and aimed at them to keep focus and raised the HR by 10 beats for the last 2 miles to hold 22nd and 4.27.

Great weekend, thanks to CRAB and the love bus, looking after me and the usual pirate massive support, sorry to hear of HC's injury but that meant more support ?

Well done all.
  • Options

I had (for me) a decent enough swim, never really got going on the bike and a decent run, 91 minutes for T2 plus the 14 miles.  Happy enough to get inside 5 (4:55 or so) after leaving T2 and seeing 3:25 on the clock.  Don't really know what happened on the bike, I didn't have a working computer but that's no excuse.  The wind didn't seem too bad most of the time apart from a stretch with a crosswind.  Feet were very cold too.  Same for everyone though, I need to HTFU.

Good to meet a few, sorry to hear of injuries etc.  Breaking a toes on the way from transition to the water has to be a contender for injury of the year though.

• Options
    slimshady wrote (see)
    Melds- I cant on BH Monday - family business, but I am looking for a training day on the Sat if that's any good?
    On nights Saturday so cant do that one sadly ...
  • Options
    At 10 miles I missed an aid station and Liz went for water so I just maintained pave and after another 0.5 mile he wasn't on my shoulder so I just tried to hold pace minus 15 secs to keep it that way and if he got back on then I would go again. I also knew this was CRAB time and needed to concentrate.

Did Dooz has some gender rearrangement in T1?    image
  • Options

Awesome Day.imageimageimage

5:18:37 a somewhat massive improvement on 5:54:59 of last year!

Swim+T1 45:00
    Bike 2:28:58
    T2+Run 02:04:40

Came out of the swim in 208th, finished the bike in 153rd, past an awful lot of bike bling on the way and a few pointy helmets to boot. I thought them Cervelo P2nis were meant to be quick. image. Only lost 17 places on the run to come in 170th very happy indeed. One of those passing me on the run was CD, like his arse was on fire or something - why does he run that fast, it can't be good for him.

Little breeze on the bike but nothing to worry about. Bit windy on the run but its not knitting is it. Swim was OK image

I must confess to being a bit weary now but hey ho.

An awesome day out and when I got home there was an email saying Windsor in 3-weeks image

Meface