Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options
    Moz I thought you said not to bother with changing the wheel for the turbo?  At the mo I'm going to use my mtb on my turbo, till I get another wheel for my roadie. When the weather really turns, i'm not sure how much I'll get out on my road bike, so might have to change the tyre on the mtb if I want to get out then?  thgis is my first winter back cycling, so I'm not sure what others do.
  • Options

BB - I think the tread on the mtb tyres will drive you nuts on the turbo!
    I would leave mtb tyres on the mtb, use it for off road rides (around ladybower) when the weather's been pish, i.e. there's been loads of rain, so loads of spray/greasy roads, but it's dried up so you want to get out. 

Use the road bike on the turbo, ideally with a different wheel, but if you're only doing up to an hour once/twice a week you may get away with it this winter then just get new tyres before next season.
    That's my opinions anyway.

Stu - I'm in Glasgow, never been befor, arrived in the dark & got in taxi to the station, so no comment on whether location lives up to the hotel!  I'm here on conference, so won't have much time to sight see, but being taken to the two fat ladies restaurant tmrw night.

Oh, I may break my no more magazines habit & buy RW if CJ's in it image

• Options
    Aitch! wrote (see)

CJ - can't wait til you're back and we can go out exploring on the bikes!

How come you never invite me out exploring on the bikes? image

BB - I said don't bother changing yout tyre for your turbo - but then you said that's what you have Mr BB for! I can see the sense in buying a new wheel. But I may have been on a roll and said don;tbother with that either! You'll learn NEVER to take any notice of anthing I say!

JG - did I congratulate you on your mara? I hope I did, but I may have beenhaving a convulsion - WELL DONE! Tremendous achievement. Great that Mrs JG is joining us next week image - I won;tbe at the beginners run, but Nic and Dot will, so she'll be in good hands.

Eyup everyone else image

• Options

Checked out the Lidl and Aldi stuff yesterday. All looks good (didn't look at the shoes)

By now I've got most stuff I'll need, its just what do I want...

As I suspected, I got in touch with my feminine side. White ladies gilet has no gender specific cut/style, so thats in the wardrobe for some winter layering and late evening visibility.

• Options

Morning! image

I checked out the Lidl stuff yesterday, wuold have bought some socks but they'd only got mens in large sizes left. Tempted by the gloves but I have two pairs already so managed to resist! 

Been out again this morning, running 1 min is driving me insane, I'm quite looking forward to doubling it to 2 mins image

• Options

Ooh I may go and see that image I like broody moors/films.

Top job onthe 1 min Len! image. I'm just back from my 15 mins. Planed 12, but I felt ok. 17 mins Sunday, 20 if it's looking good, stick at 15 if not.

Orf for my ECG now - doc wants to rule out AF. Thought, nah . . . then googled it (as you do) and read that 'otherwise healthy middle-aged women who consumed more than 2 drinks daily were 60% more likely to develop AF' image image image 

Then orf for a swim - cardia arythmia or not!!!

• Options

Morning!

Moz - hope it goes well.

On Wednesday, I did my first quick training run on the roads for months (I`ve tended to run more on grass since getting this annoying achilles problem in April) and not really had any side effects! It felt uncomfortable running but ok when finished / next day. Went to the gym last night and did some hard stuff. Was quite sore when using the foam roller but that`s all. Running a little today and a lot tomorrow! image

BB - I watched that school programme (you mentioned on FB). Nothing new there. I`ve had 2 `complaints` in my 19 years teaching. One head made me feel like a criminal and the other laid into (verbally) the parent about their son`s behaviour which was great! Michael Gove is an idiot and, from my understanding, there has been very little changed in the law for 10 years +. Mainstream teachers have been able to physically restrain pupils in certain circumstances for a long time. The searching and mobile phone stuff is new though.

• Options
    Hope things go well at the docs Mozzy
    didnt go for a swim left mony at work plus head felt like it was going to explode
  • Options
    Why has the capacity of Sheff half been cut so dramatically? Anyone in the know?
  • Options
    Sheils-Sheils- ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone image

Hope all you poorly people are better soon and that all goes well today for Mozzy.

Jane Eyre is really good and Penistone Paramount has to be the best cinema around (closely followed by the Showroom) image

All this cycling talk- doesn't make me want to learn to ride a bike, I'll stick to running I think, much simpler
  • Options

ET, didn't know it had.

How much?

• Options
    Garry N wrote (see)

ET, didn't know it had.

How much?

It now says 3000. Last year was 5500 and filled up easily.

There seemed to be quite a few problems last year and it does seem like an expensive race for what you get. I hate to say this but Leeds is better. image

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up ET silly to cut back when they can fill up but maybe doing so becouse of the problems they had last year 3000 might be the best limit for the route and organisation
  • Options
    foofighter wrote (see)
    Thanks for the heads up ET silly to cut back when they can fill up but maybe doing so becouse of the problems they had last year 3000 might be the best limit for the route and organisation
    Yes, it`ll be interesting to hear why this has happened.
  • Options

Not done Leeds

I did Sheffield for the 1st time this year. I can't say I was looking forward to it and the cost had definitely put me off. I eventually entered because it fell OK in my schedule as training for White Peak and because a load of Kimmy Striders would be there.

To be fair, I enjoyed it.

The start and end are pretty industrial, but the crowd turnout and support was great and I loved running out and back along Ecclesall Rd. Do this with a well represented club and you're 'high fiving' along the centre of the road, out and back.

The shirts nothing to write home about, but then again you can say that about 95% of 'em. I heard comments about the goody bag and drinks provision. But then again I had no real needs or expectations in those departments.

Don't think it'll be in my diary for next year though. I'm trying to avoid races I've done before, after I realised how many repetitions I'd done this year. I'm definitely doing 2 or 3 triathlons upto and including an Olympic distance. I think I'll target some of the Totley and Gritstone series

• Options
    Going to do it but only becouse its a club champ event and one Itrain a few of our ladys for but also looking to do a few triathlons as well
  • Options
    The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)
    Why has the capacity of Sheff half been cut so dramatically? Anyone in the know?

Where does it say that? There is nothing on the site.

I'll be there as it's my favourite race image

• Options
    BMBecky wrote (see)

BB - I think the tread on the mtb tyres will drive you nuts on the turbo!
    I would leave mtb tyres on the mtb, use it for off road rides (around ladybower) when the weather's been pish, i.e. there's been loads of rain, so loads of spray/greasy roads, but it's dried up so you want to get out. 

Use the road bike on the turbo, ideally with a different wheel, but if you're only doing up to an hour once/twice a week you may get away with it this winter then just get new tyres before next season.
    That's my opinions anyway.

Stu - I'm in Glasgow, never been befor, arrived in the dark & got in taxi to the station, so no comment on whether location lives up to the hotel!  I'm here on conference, so won't have much time to sight see, but being taken to the two fat ladies restaurant tmrw night.

Oh, I may break my no more magazines habit & buy RW if CJ's in it image 

My mtb has got slicks on at the mo & I've another mtb that I can ride out if I want to, without getting my roadie mucky. Ideally...I wanted/want a new wheel for the roadie, so I can just swap it over for the turbo. The turbo is use both my me & my son & don't want to knacker my decent tyre. Just got to find a cheap wheel?

Moz....I do listen to you, like anyone but don't always go with it image

ET.....not worked in schools for about 9 years, so didn't really know how things worked anymore. Talking of schools & tv...what's your take on the Educating Essex? I've really enjoyed watching it & like there way of thinking with disruptive pupils.  My eldest daughter was one of them & I felt sorry for many of the teachers & head.

Haile....I'd love something like that but MrBB wouldn't really be into it

• Options

Thanks for the well wishes dudes! ECG looked pretty normal to my untrained aye and they let me go home so I must be alright! image Back to gp next week - may need more tests, may not. I'vehad this problem for over 4 years now, but it flared up again hence the repeat ECG. Pretty sure it's grumpy old bird syndrome meself.

What were the probs with Sheff half last year?

• Options
    Ooh - looking good for next year: 22nd April VLM (though may defer), 13 May Fred Whitton Challenge, 27 May SHM! Though with my track record the chances of me being fit for any of those events are slim!
  • Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)

What were the probs with Sheff half last year?

no busses for them using it as a warm up for Kielderimage

• Options
    LOL there was gary it was just going to slow to come in with a shot at any medal
  • Options

good news the ECG looked pretty normal! anything hear related must be quite freaky to deal with!

i had a shit cycle in Brussels today. i looked on a map and found where a national cycle route started, managed to get to it after dodging trams/cars/busses/cobblestones....and there was no sign of any cycle route! so had to ride that rubbish route back...then tried going the other way...just as rubbish! there's a gym in the hotel though...so going to do some intervals on the bike! ahh well at least the buildings were pretty!

i do quite like the Sheffield Half course. despite 2010 being an absolute disaster...only just finished in under 3 hours!!!!!! that was the start of the 2 months off any exercise due to severe anaemia. the doctor was surprised i could stand up, let alone drag myself round 13.1 miles! and this year was fun, though my legs were still tired from London....but ran over an hour quicker than 2010 haha!!!

• Options
    Awwwwww Moz!! It's not that I don't invite you, it's that we can't ever seem to get out at the same time, like, ever! Whenever I'm off work, you have the kids and struggle to get out. Fancy a ride together in half term?

BB I didn't know you worked in schools. What did you do?

Well I have now lost my voice almost completely! I can manage a squeak and that's about it!
  • Options

ET, as far as I know the limit for SIGSHM 2012 is 5500.Infact the rumour is the organisors have applied for 6500 for 2013 due to the popularity of the race and that it fills up in feb while Leeds strangely only runs out a month before.

Strange if its a better race. image not done Leeds but consensus on RW forum & Fetch is Sheffield edges it. Cant comment really. 

What were the problems this year? 

RW wrongly put limit as 3000 last year and looks like they have done same this time as well.

Return to parkrun after a month absence tomorrow. 

• Options

Idea was, get in, eat, family stuff, nip out for an hours swim at 8 at the local pool.

aint ideas great?

Delayed getting home,

family stuff suddenly got infront of eating

Whilst waiting, eating got focussed on chips and gravy from the chinese.

Chinese'll be half an hour.....

Don't fancy rushing to eat and then swimming.

Looks like my training for tonight is adaptation? Body was stressed by running yesterday, todays rest and adaptation. Thats what I'm telling myself anyway!  image

• Options

Just teasing Aitch! Trouble is - with you being a teacher - you're off when I'm looking after my kids! You need to change your vocation . . . image Hope the throat gets better soon - you need a good old gargle with dissolvable aspirin.

Bummer re the map CJ. You should have just serached out a nice trim lycra clad bottom and followed that. You'd have had no clue where you were going, but you wouldn't have cared!

• Options

Just curious, On last night run up church street to the old convent in oughtibridge Sal F mentioned /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif[/img]fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487978d5d8e3b1b3:0x9aa1aa21b09ce0b2,Oughtibridge,+Sheffield&gl=uk&ei=84yYTr6vB4fV8QOx2aDECA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CDIQ8gEwAQ]Kirk Edge Road, the road along the top past Brdfield school is 50MPH road on the road bike. I can see why  but I commented that if i got to that pace on the bike i would Cack myself. image

Today tho i quite fancy trying it.  image

Has anyone done this and what speed did you reach.