Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

Pleased your back's a bit better today ceal

The first series of The Killing was the most gripping crime programmes I've seen and the second one's coming along nicely too. Such superb acting from everyone.

• Options

Sharkie - now you mention it, I do remember about the dancing. You would definitely suit it. Or it would suit you.

Ceal - back pain is alarming, isn't it, - often it doesn't seem possible to track down a cause, and it comes and goes as it wills. Hope yours goes, and stays gone. 

All hills? - sounds like here. 

K2 - Forest of Dean is reachable from here. Sounds lovely; and I wanted to do another half, some time next year. Does it undulate much? Would it need ordinary trainers or Innov-8s?

NZC - ah yes, it was Dopey, not Dozy. 

Bushwalk sounds good. When Elder Daughter was in Oz she went on a bushtucker walk. She went to NZ too, but all I can remember of what she did there was jump out of an aeroplane. I've seen the photo. I told her not to tell me about it until after she'd done it. 

Aws - goodbye, 13s. 

I did 7.13 miles this morning, but my average speed was 13.21 or something like that. Over 13, anyway. I did it this morning, when it was lovely and sunny (though with a cold wind), and well timed it was, since now it's raining. 

• Options
    Backtracking: Thurs 8th Dec track

Togged myself up in waterproof trousis, jumpers, hats, waterproof jacket  - you name it. The weather had been appalling all day - although much worse in Scotland and the North.

However, as has happened quite a few times this year, we were lucky. The rain stopped at 6.30 and didn’t get going again until the last rep at around 7.45. It was fiendishly windy though.

Just me and the boys so I ran with Pete. We did 200 (from the 300 start) walk 150 - run 150 - walk 100 - run 80m. Times 3. Boys on longer version 300 - 200 - 100 with same recoveries.

The 200s were hard work for me into the wind. Pete is naturally much stronger and I was a good 10 - 20 metres behind. However the 150s and 80s were a different matter. The wind was unpredictable but generally pushing me along on the 150s. The first 80 was alarmingly fast - faster than my legs actually wanted to go, but go they did and I could feel it in the quads straight after. Loads ahead of Pete on that one.

On the second 80 the wind decided to change course. It had been throwing me down the home straight then suddenly chucked me across my lane. Pete said I yelped like I’d been slapped in the face. He also told the others that it was like running behind a scrum half. He’s a bit of a rugby fan and I gather this didn’t mean I looked enormous and beefy in my 100 layers of clothing but that I was dodging from side to side. Not by my own volition however.

Good set.  And I got a lift home from Steve as well. So that was alright. It had started pissing down again and although I was ready to walk the hilly three miles in the coldwetdark (violins please) - having tied on my rucksack. In fact I ran the cool down lap with said rucksack in said position. Interesting.

• Options

You remember Ron Sloan, the bloke from Sunderland who became famous for catching a bus at the end of the Kielder Marathon a while ago? Well he's just been on the BBC NE local news denying it again! There's a programme "Inside Out" about it locally at 7:00 this evening (available on satellite channels though - towards the end of the listings). I thought he'd eventually admitted it so don't know what's going on.

Off to the club Christmas party soon. I'm recording the programme.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Really nice day here, lovely blue sky and no wind and much warmer than normal 6c.

Sharkie,
    Yes I do have some really nice runs here and I make an effort to mix it up even if it means getting in the car.
    I don't know how you manage to do credible short sprints in the wind. I know that I do something else if I am scheduled to do intervals and it is windy. I just can't seem to get my legs to go faster enough.

ceal,
    Sorry to hear you still have back problems. So many people seem to be troubled with their backs, I guess we were not designed to walk on our hind legs.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

My recent two runs were with an average cadence around 85 so in today's run I tried very diligently to increase it.

12_12_2011 10_32_00 AM_history   Gym8.9k, 0c, sun, tried to keep pace down and cadence up.
     Total Time =  47 mins 43 secs, Total Distance = 8.85 kms or 5.50 miles
     Avg pace =  05 mins 23 secs  per km   or  08 mins 40 secs  per ml 
     Avg WHR =   80.3%,  Age Grade =   64.3%

Lap  Duration   Kms   Miles    Per Km   Per Mile   AWHR  MWHR  Cad  Slength
     01     5:41       1.00      0.62        5:41         9:08        61.9      74.8     85.0   1.03
     02     5:35       1.00      0.62        5:35         9:00        73.5      76.9     88.0   1.01
     03     5:20       1.00      0.62        5:20         8:35        79.6      83.7     86.0   1.09
     04     5:24       1.00      0.62        5:24         8:42        78.9      83.0     85.0   1.09
     05     5:19       1.00      0.62        5:19         8:34        83.0      85.0     86.0   1.09
     06     5:15       1.00      0.62        5:15         8:27        85.0      87.1     84.0   1.13
     07     5:15       1.00      0.62        5:15         8:26        85.7      87.8     86.0   1.11
     08     5:27       1.00      0.62        5:27         8:46        87.1      89.1     87.0   1.05
     09     4:24       0.85      0.53        5:11         8:21        89.1      91.2     86.0   1.12

As you can see a little better with an average of 86.3 but it was a lot of effort.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

JJ,
    Your xc course looks fantastic with some serious up bits. Well done on your medal. Your deserved to feel a bit tired.
    Based on some studies of elite athletes I read a while back it seems that 90 strides per min is the optimum cadence for running and cycling. It supposedly gives the most efficient stride length at any pace.
    My natural cadence seems to be about 85 but I know when I race it keeps up close to 90 until I start to tire.

I just  finished watching the Chelsea game, you are having some weather!

• Options

MickC - your Garmin measures cadence?

And what's that column at the end, headed slength?

• Options

Sharkie had great big waterproof boots on
    sharkie had a great big waterproof hat
    Sharkie had a great big waterprrof mackintosh
    And "That" she said, "is that."

Columba
    Forest of Dean half does undulate but no really steep climbs, I think. The course is different now from when I did it. Mostly gravel or soft earth tracks. You'd probably be ok i ordinary shoes but off-roaders with reasonable cusioning would be ok as well. Adidas Kanadia would be suitable. No need to go to the expense of Inov-8. I fyou were going to buy Kanadia online, go up at least half a size. I think it might fill up fairly quickly. 

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Columba,
    Yes you can get the garmin forerunner series device to measure cadence either running or cycling with the addition of a relative inexpensive gadget well at least here there are.
    slength is my stride length in metres, as you can see it is a bit long but I am over 6'. I think JJ and TS are over 6' so it would be interesting to know what their average stride length was.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    I suspect that a walk in the bush is a lot different here than it is in NZ. The bush is very dense and full of nasty bugs and is virtually impossible to get through unless you follow a deer trail. People regularly get lost with the off death.
  • Options

Morning

Columba>
    Kanadia  Other colours available.

• Options
    Columba
    FoD half  It looks as though you have a bit more time than I'd thought. I have a feeling I'm comitted to doing something with work on 1st April but if not i might be tempted to join you (if you do it).
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

Graham
    Ron Sloan sounds an unbelievable character. Have you watched the news recording yet? I hope the Club Christmas Party was a good one. Did Mrs G to with you?

sharkie
    I wonder if the wind last pm was more challenging than on Sunday. I may not have got up until later evening. But I bet you got very wet and will do so in your  Thursday session too.

Mick6
    Your running looks very promising, it is coming along nicely along with the positive progress make by your AT.

JJ
    The ceanothus belongs to next door and hangs over our fence next to the garage, so it is in a sheltered position. There are several flowers on it.

With regard to cadence and stride length. I think nowadays it is recommended that one works on increasing one's cadence which will improve running technique and enhance a longer running stride. If one tries to increase one's running stride then over-striding is the result which is not what you want as it will produce a breaking effect which will bring about a slower pace.   

we had a very disturbed night here, together with the very heavy eternal rain there was a very strong wind blowing with very strong gusts which was buffeting the house. I hardly slept at all.

• Options

good morning

Sharkie
    wind induced turbo super speed !! With your slight frame that is entirely possible and equally it makes the battle against the wind even more difficult for you.
    Like the attireimage

Mick6
    another good run
    Cadence is all important. I remember Chouette experimented with a metronome a while back and in response I counted out strides against several timed minutes in the middle of a run. Seem to remember it was bang on 90 strides/min but I may be wrong. Stride length is less important but if one can lenghten it without overstriding (causing heel strike and consequent braking) then it's all good

JJ
    Japanese food can be very good - or not!!
    BTW the truffle and Maderia sauce worked perfectly - it was black truffle that was used in very modest proportion and it just gave a subtle lift to the sauce - that's what the Michelin chef said anyway when I spoke to him after the dinner - and he is incidently the antithisis of the celebrity chef of present day

a good morning not to be running as another rain and sleet enhanced gale blows itself about - however I do have a run planned for this evening - venue a new real ale pub - so I shall have to force my weary body out then..................................

Thank you all for words of support - I don't normally go backwards in terms of training progression, unless I get another injury, so the conjunction of outcomes shall be blamed. Having said that my new exercises do produce some disproportionate reactions from such modest movements so I guess they are finally getting the required neural responses from previously injury impaired dormant muscle groups!!!

• Options

The Ron Sloan thing, it really is unbelievable. He must have a screw loose to keep denying it as he did on yesterday's interview. There was a special bus for spectators and a young couple got on it two miles from the finish so they could be in time to see the first runners home. They saw a runner get on too and noted he had a Sunderland Harrier vest, ear-rings, and a tattoo of writing on the back of one leg. Funnily enough exactly like Mr Sloan!!

They didn't think any more of it until they recognised him as the runner finishing in third place. They told the officials that this person had been on their bus. His "defence" is based on his garmin records, which goes haywire for the last couple of miles. He says because of tree cover but maybe it could be because he was travelling at 30 mph on a bus do you think?! He was recorded at 17 miles as being in 10th place. Really, it's quite ridiculous that he's still denying it (after coming clean apparently at one point).

Anyway, at the club party last night I had a big surprise. I got the personality of the year award! It's only a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously but it still gave me quite a buzz. Along with a few others I also got an award for completing ten or more races in a club vest.

• Options

Graham That is a lovely award to get! You are obviously very popular and respected. Quite right too.
    The ten races in a club vest is pretty good too.

Well done that man! xxxx image

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Graham
    Fantastic award, well deserved, I know you have thrown yourself into helping the Club when you can, and that seems to be quite often. Well done on the 2nd award for the number of races in a Club Vest. That signifies commitment and dedication.  

I hope you are feeling very proud of yourself today?

• Options
    Did 3.5 mile
    34:54
    9:58 average pace.
    10:24
    09:45
    09:42
    04:52 (9:46 pace)
  • Options
    Just logged on and find this totp has been sitting here for nearly 2hrsimage

http://alanshelley.co.uk/98008Ullswater.jpg

Ullswater

al
  • Options

Lovely pic to come home to.

Horrible weather here - one hailstorm after another. One was so bad it could be heard in Birmingham.

Graham
    Congratulations on the awards. Wwell deserved!

• Options

MickC - WHAT is "the off death"?

K2 - lol at the variation on A.A. Milne's theme. 

Have had a look at the Forest of Dean half, and will discuss with PTS when he's home for Christmas. BTW, I already have Innov-8s (not much used - plan to use them rather more next year) but I see the FoD website says ordinary trainers are fine.

TS - when you mentioned Chouette and a metronome, I saw a mental picture of her running along, balancing one of those tall triangular items on her hand as it ticked regularly to and fro. But of course, nowadays there will be electronic metronomes, small and easy to carry. 

Graham - many congratulations on your Personality of the Year award! - no doubt well-deserved, and all the nicer for coming as a surprise. 

Aws - lovely pic of Ullswater. 

Sunny but cold here; there was a short snowstorm part way through the morning, didn't settle. I did an out-and-back run of 3.2 miles, and didn't realise until I turned to come back that there was a very keen wind blowing. It had been behind me up till then, so I had it in my face coming back, nose and eyes streaming. The outward journey was northwards, so that in-my-face wind was coming from the south, so why was it so cold? 

Average pace was 12.25 mm, which rather pleased me. No doubt I was working on the "run like hell and get it over with" principle. 

I have 2 days in Aberystwyth coming up, so overnighting there and won't pick up any emails until Thursday evening at the earliest.  Shall be able to run along the sea front tomorrow evening.  

• Options

aws
    it didn't look like that last week!!!!!

K2
    must have been a big hailstone!!!

Mick6
    running cadence - quite a good article. Click on the link to Cadence and Injury at the bottom of the page - there is some especially good stuff in the forum notes at the end of another interesting article.

Graham
    congratulations on the awards - I hope they came with liquid refreshment  as wellimage!!

It is the Hash Christmas dinner this weekend - I have been putting some notes together on the year's notable activities and personalities for my "words" after dinner - the awards for each will all include beverages to be drunk immediately!!!

• Options

Sharkie's December Challenge

Not quite sure why or how I have talked myself into this. There is no-one else involved and there is no real reason for it. However I have decided to train every day in December. I have a set of self imposed rules. I am not allowed to overtrain, to make myself too tired to function properly or to get stressy about it. Therefore no hard sessions on consecutive days, nothing mindless and just for the sake of it - all to be planned to some purpose. Walking counts as long as it is over two miles and at a brisk pace (it always is, because I am always on the last minute and usually involves a bizarre form of run walk)

I thought it would be interesting to see if I could do some form of meaningful - and enjoyable - training every day. Hence returning to dancing, as I have done from time to time since my late teens.

So that's why December sees me attempting to master the Samba and the Argentine Tango amongst others. I might even start classes again. There appears to be a Wendy Twinkletoes Academy of Darrrrnce just round the corner at the community centre. Could be a laugh. It's that or kickboxing. Three track sessions each week - none negotiable - and they're all hard. Equipment based Pilates once a week. Distance run on Saturdays as usual but havng I've been strongly advised against falling into a mad mileage clock up I won't. I don't need to be out for an hour. Weights and stretchy stuff where it fits.

Nearly half way through today, and I'm NOT running slower or any more tired than usual. Ran surprisingly well on Sunday after a well dodgy first rep... but that's for next time.

• Options
    Columba
    because the wind started in the far north before swinging sharply anti clockwise to arrive here - it didn't pass over enough water to get any warmer!!
    Bit of a shock that turn into the wind
    I think I commented to Chouette at the time about her running with just such a metronome strapped to her wrist!!
    Sea front running could prove "interesting" as in "we live in interesting times" !!!
  • Options

Sharkie
    oh darrrhhlingimage !!
    does eating Christmas dinner count as an extreme training day???

The cadence article talks about sprinters extreme cadence of 240. Wonder what M. Johnson's was??

• Options

Sharkie
    That sounds like a good idea.  I'd been wondering about doing something similar in January - 3 runs, 1 weights, etc. It doesn't feel worth trying to start in December for me as we're busy with Christmas, sale prep, sale, not to mention the family Christmas stuff.

I'll be interested to see how it goes.