Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

EmmaC - shhh! Don't say scary things like that! image

oh, and sorry about some dodgy spelling in previous post. image

• Options

Evening All ( sounds like Dixon of Dock Green there for a mo)

Well I did the Milbourne 10 this morning and it was a great local run with a few hills . I managed to get arong o.k and pushed the last few miles.

• Options

imageI know - Sorry Helen Liz! image

My chum has got the 405 and it drives her nuts! Keep locking plus she can't read the display. Not always easy to swipe to turn it on and off either!image

I thought I'd use the HR monitor with the 305 ... I've used it nce and didn't really understand what it was telling ,e so reckon the 205 would be perfectly good enough for anyone.

Hi Juggler - training going ok but ... only up to 10 miles though so the really tough challenges are yet to come!

• Options
    I've got the 405. Had some teething problems but I think that was me being inept. Managed to get into the compass reading part on one long run by mistake, not very helpful to be shown you are heading in a north easterly direction, when what you really want to know how far and how fast you are running. Will let you know how it performs this year.
  • Options
    I have the Garmin 305 (same as 205 but with HR monitor). I have found it invaluable and easy to use once you get used to it. I used the HR monitor for the first time today and thought it was really useful. I also use Garmin Connect and this shows all the stats (pace, HR, distance, elevation etc). I am going to log all my marathons runs using it to see how I'm progressing. I would highly recommend it based on my experience. Once you get one you wonder how you managed without! image
  • Options

Many thanks for the Garmin advice all. Decision, decision...

I'm kind of tempted towards the *10 series of watches, as they're slightly smaller and my wrists aren't exactly large. Maybe the 110 or 210. Above that and the price increase significantly. 

Helen, the Garmin connect website looks neat (nice consistent splits too, and it looks like you managed to save a bit for the last mile as well image ). I assume you just plug the watch in to your pc and upload to the website, and it works out all the times / averages / distances. I like simple technology.

Ideally, I'd like something that could give OS grid reference. Then I could use it for walking as well, but this doesn't seem to be a feature at any price point. I already have a HRM and only ever use on the indoor static bike, so not that fussed by that feature. 

I'll do more reading this evening, but again thanks for taking the time replying! 

• Options
    TIM0 I got given the garmin forerunner 110 for christmas and its simple to use if you remember what button to press to get satelite and its the size of a wrist watch....and today ive gone onto garmin connect and it gives you your run and times at particular points but i think you may have to have it on lap counter to get your splits( i turned my splits off today )and even though there is a split ap to press it wont show them if youve not had it on lap counter...but i cant wait to run with it again...and i use it when i walk my dog to..
  • Options

TimO - I have been a little sneaky and presented data from a race I was really proud of! image Trust me when I say that some of the pacing in my training runs has been distinctly more suspect than that. image

I can't find any indication of grid reference, so you may be right on that point.

My 205 came with a cradle and both a USB connection and power connection. You can charge via the USB, so that's the only one I use. You just plug it straight in. There's an install disc that came with it too, but I managed it on my own and I'm a 'puter numpty, so it wasn't difficult!

• Options
    I have the 305. Had it years and love. I also love the HR monitor too. Helps keep me in the right zone for certain runs and also alerts me if I am getting run down or if a cold is around the corner.

Suggest if you have a garmin you also add your data to fetch. Lots and lots of data, graphs etc...if you like that stuff!!!
  • Options
    So Sunday morning I overslept and didn't set off on my run until 8.30 which put me off a bit, I like to set off in the dark usually. All a bit odd as I sent Mrs H down the pub to represent me on Saturday night too AND I resisted not all alcohol but pretty good for me - 1xtanglefoot and a glass of wine. I swear my best ever run was when sweating out a bottle and a half of Shiraz.

Tried 15miles without any chemical enhancements so no sports drink before or during, no gels before or during, just a couple of bits of toast and a double espresso beforehand and a bit of water on the way round. Crikey it felt hardwork, surely a small bottle of sports drink can't make that much difference!!! Got round in fair time at my "easy" pace so all good in the end. I like to think that without the chemical assistance I'll be training my body to dig deep into my natural reserves - is this correct?

Rest today before I continue to diligently my 3 midweek run programme.

On the Garmin front I love my 110. Not sure I'd pay the extra to upgrade it further though. I had a few technical problems with it though and it went back twice but seems ok now. Steams up on cold days though which worries me a lot.
  • Options

Danny H - well done on your run, I always to take the minimum amount when running, like you say to train the body to work on less, I dont know about you but I really glad to be back to long runs at weekends. I managed a 16 miler Saturday morning and it was tough but the route I chose was one of my most difficult,. luckily due to having a garmin I checked back to last years runs, and this year at the same time in training on the same route I was 2.5 minutes quicker so well chuffed.

Hi everyone else, I have a Garmin 305 and had it for a few years, the sound has gone on it now, but otherwise a brilliant piece of kit, I am thinking about up grading to the 310xt if money permits later in the year as it has a 20 hour battery life.

• Options

Afternoon all!!

Managed the full 26miles on my plan last week so very chuffed with that!

Rest day for me today so went for a swim and a sauna to recharge the batteries!!

Needto get organised this week as its my bestfriends hen do this weekend so need all my runs done by saturday!!

• Options

Garmin 305 for me. Love it, especially the big display, as my eyesight is "not what it was" image

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options
    Hey all, I've got Garmin 305 and agree that it can be very slow to find satellites. I've started turning it on 5-10 mins before I set off for run, and leaving it on windowsill at home/dashboard of car etc while I get my kit sorted. Once it has found the satellites once during that session, it seems to be quicker to find them again if I lose the connection (going through tunnels etc).
  • Options

Afternoon all

Garmin wise i have the 305 i have found it helps a lot well 8 miles for me today should have been 4 but i think i am coming down with a cold so decided to get my MWLR in just encase

the only problem i have with my Garmin is the idiot using it i was playing around with it this morning and managed to turn the auto lap off so i haven’t got the splits for today’s run

• Options
    No Garmin for me. I just use the MapMyRun to plot routes, then memorise or take a piece of paper with mile points written down on it, then just adjust my pace accordingly every mile. As an example I ran 10 miles today with the target pace of 9:15 M/M, which would have given a total time of 1:32:30, I came in 10 seconds faster then this, so although my individual mile splits are a bit off, being to fast or slow, my total average is pretty good so must be doing right. Maybe I will invest in a Garmin latter in the year, but I do not think I will be that bothered if I do not.
  • Options
    Blimey solent that's a bit... well..... don't know how to describe it, but pretty clever. I need mine to kick my speed up and I quite like knowing how far I've been and changing routes half way round, let's me go a bit wild and crazy, 2nd turning instead of 1st!!! Still get lost though.
  • Options
    Danny: I enjoy working the times out in my head as I find it takes my mind off running, especially if I was going long or fast. As for routes, I always run pre planned routes so not a problem. Saying all that though I think a Garmin could do me some good for knowing split times and also heart rate, so maybe in the summer.
  • Options
    SR thats basically what I do for races with mile markers, but end up having to calculate my average speed in my head. By the time I've worked it out to the second I'm usually at the next mile marker so have to start over...

I think the biggest benefit for me would be on training runs. At the moment I plan a route of x miles on bikehike (similar to mapmyrun) then look at the clock when I leave and when I get back. This is PITA for ad-hoc runs, or when I forget to check times.

I almost ordered a 210 from simply electronic for £135, until I read review of the company and service. Turns out they have terrible CS, long delivery times and often post from HK. So now on the lookout for 'bargain' elsewhere.

I'm VERY grateful for everyone's replies and help. I feel like I'm missing out on the GPS fun image
  • Options
    To save the me, me, me posts image

Danny: Sports drinks / gels do certainly help with instant energy, but a small bottle is unlikely to make the difference between an easy 15 miles and a hard 15 miles. What it might so is help you at a low point which would lift you mood and make the remainder of the run seem easier than without the extra sugars.

On the other hand, you might of been having an off day; not enough sleep, not enough food the day before, feeling a little unwell, one too many beers. You mention you overslept, you were probably tired too begin with. The only thing you can do is too experiment. You have 14 weeks to get it right image

General rule for me is upto 10 miles I don't bother with gels etc. This time of year I'll quite often go without water as well. Sometimes I regret that.

Spen: you still clocking up the miles then? Any ultras planned for this year?

Toby: thats the spirit doubling the mileage image

Vik: YES!!
  • Options

Well done on your 15 miles without substance support Danny, a good ( if hard )  session.

Spen, nice to see year to year improvement, a thumbs up for the years training

VikW,  you must be pleased to be on track....keep up the good work !!

Solent, your clocking up the miles. Very impressive with the pacing too, shows youy listen to your body etc

I had a small kip and then ran 10 miles this evening ( no water / no gels). Solid enough run at an easy pace of 9:45 on an undulating route. Felt a little tired towards the end, so will do a smaller recovery run tomorrow and do some core work !!!
  • Options
    Lots of fine running going on yesterday and today, I see. I've really enjoyed reading the updates.

Personally, I just felt like a nice 6 miler at a fairly quick (for me) pace this evening. I was actually about 4 minutes slower over this route than at the same time last year, but to be honest, not a bad return given the last six months, so I still feel I'm "on target".

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Morning all

Got to say at the moment i must say i am considering using the run walk method i used on Friday for Brighton this year despite running all of it last 2 years but i may well change my mind as it get closer

before i had the Garmin i used to try to run at 10m/m pace to work out how long the run should i used to times the distance by 10 and then divide it by 60 so for example 15 miles x 10 = 150 minutes divided by 60 gives you 2hrs 30 min

And then when i got home go on the Jogging buddy web site to work it out properly as for the training runs at least i don’t have to bother mapping any as i still using the ones from the last 2 years

Juggler don’t worry too much about being slower all my training runs in 2011 were slower than in 2010 and i still was lucky enough to knock 1miunte 30 second of my PB

AGF well done on the run

Tim O i may have doubled it today but i will only do 4 today and 5 on Wednesday with12 on Friday

VikW 26 miles well done to you

waves to everyone else

• Options

TimO - I think amazon give about the best porices for garmins if you are looking. I do have an ultra planned for this year, I am going to do the same one as last year Grimsthorpe 70 it is in July this year, I also have two marathons planned Brighton (obviously) and then Milton Keynes 2 weeks later.

Toby3 - well done on your run I hope you are not coming down with a cold.

Day off running for me today, but a 10 miler in the morning before work.

take care everyone

• Options

TimO - keep an eye on Amazon, when I bought my Garmin 305 it was reduced to £99.99 and arrived within 3 days. I wouldn't risk buying anything from a HK website, even if they had positive reviews. There has been a massive influx of counterfeit goods, including electronics, to the UK recently - I saw a story in the papers about a huge shipment of various products being impounded by Customs just before Christmas ... Can't be too careful. Safer and cheaper in the long run to buy from an authorised supplier so you get a warranty in case things go wrong image 

I'm off for an easy 6km recovery run this evening - looking forward to trying my new Newton's on concrete instead of trails and grass!

• Options

xine267 - you've done it now, mentioning Newtons!!!

Bought new trainers last week, did the obligatory gait analysis barefoot only to discover like lots of us i am a forefoot striker, try telling that to the treadmill wich sounds like theres a hippo on it when I am in trainers.

Tried out a pair and they felt great but sense prevailed and I decided that I better stick with what I know right now but very interested in looking again at them after Brighton as the lady in the shop says it takes about 3 months to get used to them and you have to build up your miles on them really slowly concentrating on landing differently.

What is your experience of them and how did you get into wearing them?

• Options
    TimO - Sweatshop have the Garmin Forerunner 110 for £74.99 online. Sounds like a bargain to me.
  • Options
    I just told my one of my employees about the sweatshop deal for the 110 and he's jumped straight on it. Oh yeah and has left early to do it!!!
  • Options

KAREN IVES - I'm sorry image I have the Newton Motion and Newton Gravity shoes and I really love them! I got them from the Sweatshop concession in Harrods when Runners World ran the 50% off special offer. I got into Newtons because I was looking for a lightweight shoe for longer distances up to & including the marathon. I have been running in my Vibram 5 Fingers for the last 8 months, but the max I can do is 10km ... I don't think I'd be ready to try running a barefoot marathon in April.

My previous "normal" trainers were Asics 2160 which are very heavy and have a lot of cushioning, after getting used to the minimal feel of the Vibrams, I HATED having to wear the Asics for a long run - it felt as though I had concrete blocks on my feet! I went to a running shop to try different lightweight shoes and after trying Inov8, Merrell and Newtons - decided that I liked the feel of the Newtons the best.

I went through the transition period when I started running in the Vibrams, so I haven't found the Newtons too hard to get used to. The main thing I'd say is that I notice that my soleus feels a bit more fatigued after a long run, but on the plus side, I haven't had any of the knee problems I experienced last time I was training for a marathon (in the Asics).

• Options

Dan E: Thank you!

Just ordered a FR 110 from Sweatshop for £79 (posted). Saved myself £40 on the next cheapest price and, better still, cheaper than those HK import sites image  Again, thanks for the info!