Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

I have entered a half marathon in the autumn in North Carolina but I won't be booking flights yet in case we have to cancel.  I can't afford the insurance- the last quote I got 5years ago was £120 per day!

I did four miles this morning with the middle two miles at 9.50 each exactly- I was very surprised that the second mile was as quick as the first as it seemed a lot easier than the first.

I'm considering doing my long run on Saturday as I am taking my wife out on Saturday evening as it is our anniversary, but I'll probably stay with Sunday..,   

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Helen,

I could have told you the races I wanted to enter by about October/November last year image!  Mind you I've only got one entry in.  It may be another 2 races entered into at the weekend.

WD,

Blimey that's expensive, although I've said to Chris that next time we go overseas we need to make sure that the holiday insurance isn't going to be affected by my osteoporosis just in case.

• Options

I quite understand the booking ahead and getting the best deals, choice of accomodation etc. And I will admit to entering Brighton the morning after last year's event, over 365 days in advance. But my calendar sort of runs out there! Work sponsor a local 10k the May bank holiday weekend, and I'm tempted (it's very flat), but have declined thus far - 3 weeks ought to be enough to be back up & running, but I'm not sure enough to commit myself quite yet.

((Molly)) me too on the food is a comfort when under stress. It's one of those things I take refuge in when the world's going to hell in a handcart. My bed being the other - even if I'm not tired, I retreat to bed with a mug of something and a packet of biscuits.

I've decided aginst a run tonight, long drive home & this sort of cold (won't go, won't be a proper cold - it's just hovering there) mean I'm tired. And with this weekend being rather busy, I might have to do the long run tomorrow.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

molly - don't eat too little otherwise you will come off the rails big style and eat anything in sight!   Good news on the weather, milder here too.

Emmy - it may take you some time to recover from your first marathon, it's impossible to know at this stage.   But you will still be marathon fit when you finish the marathon so it's possible to tick over on not a lot of training.   Important to recover properly though, food. fluids, stretching, recovery runs and rest!   But we'll deal with that at the time!

Like you I have to enter races and that sets the goal for my training

WD - wouldn't it be cheaper to book the flights early then if you have to cancel pay the fee for changing the flights?   Or does that not apply to long haul flights......I'm not a worldwide athlete like youimage

Great running that's fast.    I think you should do your long run on Sunday, keep your energy for Saturday and your anniversary celebrationsimage

Helen - you're just going through a tired spell, be kind to yourself, it's a step back week for you anyway.   so lots of rest, nice food etc.

Getting brighter in the morning, was able to do the return section of my run on the back roads which are country lanes with no streetlights and almost no traffic...heaven.   And the daffs are beautiful in the park...and it's Fridayimage

• Options

yay friday!! bring on the weekend!

helen bed tea and biscuits sounds like heaven! 

• Options

you've got daffs already...?  Our snowdrops are out, but no daffs...

• Options
    We've got snowdrops but the daffs are just leaves so far
  • Options

Yeah I spotted some Daffs out in full bloom yesterday. So nice to see image

Well, I finally did my "Recovery run" Today before hitting the gym. After a slow start I was flying.
    This time last year after The Quad I got injured so I'm very wary of doing too much or entering shorter races.

I will be at The Cotswold Marathon on Sunday. Should be a hell of a lot milder than last week!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR - tut tut, very late for your recovery run but good news that you're OK. image

Forecast for Sunday is cold, but not as cold as you had in MK.

• Options

Shades - I'm going to adjust the weeks in my plan, to give myself some time to clear this bug. The next few weeks has long runs 14, 20, 15, half, 20(race). Any reason why I can't swop to 14, 15, 20, half, 20(race)? I'd move the entire week, as well as the long runs. Gives me a week extra before the next heavy week. I was going to try and do 15 today, but all I want to do is sleep. image

I've not seen any daffs or snow drops. But then I'm not the most observant when running - and most of it's still in the dusk/dark. Makes plant spotting a bit more tricky.

• Options

We prob won't get any daffs until late March/April, but might be able to get out and enjoy them by then.

I remember you getting injured last year VR, be carefulimage, you don't want to have to start knitting like me do you?

Helen hope the bug goes soon.

Pool back in action after another shutdown so got a good session in.image

Molly - dont starve! It's an order!image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Shades - thanks for your feedback - am trying to decide how much i want to bet on myself.... if i wait until after london it's not only the price but its likely to fill up... hmm... decisions decisions!

I've not seen any flowers yet - i'll report back tomorrow when i'm running my LSR in a field! The plan is 18miles - so i'm a little excited/scared!

@Elspeth - how are you feeling? What are you knitting at the moment? image

• Options
    HL - my snowdrops are in  the back garden image   We'll have bluebells later in the spring too image
  • Options

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Good Luck to VR and all those doing long and short runs. Happy anniversary WD!

This morning I was sent papers for a tax refund at work for a company from........Dublin. Now that's what I call fate. It must be a sign telling me to do Dublinimage

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Helen - yes, that's a good idea to rejig the plan, you must take it easy when you don't feel 100%.   I too do most of my running in the dark and it's not easy to see much at this time of year.   I did see a fox this week in a field off the main road, the streetlamps were shining into the field and he was sitting watching the hedge, I think waiting for an unsuspecting rabbitimage.  

I did once say good morning to what I thought was a person standing at a bus stop, it was a post boximage

Emmy - I can't make that decision for you.   Is it a marathon that you could go round at an easy pace if for any reason you weren't 100%?   

I hope you're not going to run the whole 18 miles in a field!!?

Molly it's fate and that company might need a personal visitimage.

If you need any further persuasion, we come straight off the finish line into the pub, Guinness and chips.   SiJ did a cracking PB there last year, sub 4 too

• Options
    SHADES wrote (see)
     I did once say good morning to what I thought was a person standing at a bus stop, it was a post boximage

hahahahaha! image

Although I might be starting to do the same. I have to wear glasses for distance and see myself doing the same thing image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PSC,

I don't think we've got any spring bulbs out round here.

VR,

Well done.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    SHADES wrote (see)

I've done that to lamposts.... actually i've run into lamposts....and i was wearing glasses!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Helen - I don't need glasses for distance...honest

Emmy - LOL.   In the days when I did off road races, I ran into a tree during an ultra in Cornwall and banged my head.  And the following year I ran into the same tree againimage but avoided the head injury.

VR - athletics on telly this afternoonimage

• Options

VR - I'm sure I heard your name on Marathon Talk... quite a few shout outs about the Quadzilla races..

Emmy - which is your target race?  That would be another way of looking at this.  If it were me I would not try to "race" two marathons that are 2 months apart.  If you push yourself in a mara then the rule of thumb is 1 day per mile of racing to recover.  So nearly a full month to recover.  If you don't push yourself then recovery is quicker.  Another rule of thumb is that anything longer than 20 is where the long term fatigue and damage creeps in....  heres an idea.  Treat London as a LSR and teh Mittelrhein marathon as your target A Race.  I'm told that London is hard to get a good time at as it's too busy, too noisy etc... but I am also told that it's an experience of a life time.  So why not enjoy it, but do it at a comfy pace, pace tht doesn't completely shred you..  Then have a very easy week - maybe some cross training (active recovery) before getting back on to the training plan for your A Race.  At the end of the day only you will know how you feel and how well you've recovered.  I know from my own experience that even doing ultras I'm fine to run the next day because I do them nice and gently and enjoy the day out in the countryside rather than worrying about hitting a target training pace etc.  And the very fact that I am training long is giving me huge confidence because I know that 26 miles is way less than I have been running already so it has demystified the distance somewhat.  Don't get me wrong - it's still a bitch of a distance and has my full respect.  I'm rambling now so I will shut up and finish my cornflakes!  image

Morning peeps....  I  was going to run today I've changed my mind so I am going to swim instead and do a 16 miler tomorrow. Weather looks better (drier) tomorrow anyway. image

• Options
    SHADES wrote (see)
     In the days when I did off road races, I ran into a tree during an ultra in Cornwall and banged my head.  And the following year I ran into the same tree againimage but avoided the head injury.

image  LOL  we are all creatures of habit.

Morning Shades

• Options
    link to Marathon Talk for anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about - it's a Podcast - quite fun, very informative.  Martin and Tom (presenters) do a great job. Not as good as my mates Bev and John on Ironman Talk (now IM Talk), but each to their own. image
  • Options

I never said I wore my glasses for distance just that I need them! They live in the car and I will wear them when driving, but I'm not ready to wear glasses full time. image The tree story is just magic, that's really cheered me up image

I am resting, honest. It's not something I do terribly well, but 9 hours sleep was really very nice.

• Options

Hi everyoneimage

I hope everyone's training is going well.

I am doing Brighton half marathon tomorrow morning. Training was going well until the snow and ice got in the way.

I am still knitting- i am currently knitting a jumper for my little boy.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

SiJ,

Good luck.

• Options

LOL at the tree Shades!

Helen - exactly how I use my glasses! Should wear them to watch TV too but have kind of got used to the blurred lookimage. Hope you're feeling a bit better!

SiJ - good luck with the half, we will expect a report afterwards, well I need something to do! We shall have to set up a knitting thread, I have made a fairisle jumper for my 21 yr old daughter and have started an aran cardi (which is a bit challenging but I'm enjoying having something time consuming to do).

Emmy - alittle better I think thanks, I am itching to ditch the crutches at least around the house but have been told to wait until I get my orthopaedic opinion. So I'm being good. Reluctantlyimage. And itching to get back to doing some clinics next week - I hope.

Snowing heavily here now having been very mild while you all had bad weather. Hope it doesn't mean no swimming today.,image

HM - is your ankle better?

Have good long runs everyone.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

SiJ - good luck tomorrow, let us know how you get on.   I think bootsie is doing that race too.

Helen - the rest will do you good.   Glad the tree story cheered you up!image

Good luck to VR and mowser tomorrow, I expect mowser is racing tomorrow.

PSC - what are your plans for the rest of the year, once you've done London?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    18 MILES! I DID IT! 18 miles! I'll reply to everyone later on but for now I'm so chuffed! 18 miles and it felt good!
  • Options

fab, well done Emmy.  Feels good doesn't it image

Not sure Shades....  almost certainly another mara in the Autumn.  Considering Abingdon.  Not sure yet...  Also some LDWAs or more adventurous runs....  Nothing ore than 35 though, I haven't completely gone to the other dark side of ultra runnning image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Elspeth,

It's stood up to a 2.48 mile run.  Tomorrow it's going to be somewhere between 2-3 miles but would prefer 3 miles.

Emmy,

Well done.