• Options

good morning

Ceal
    perfect conditions for a 5kimage!! Good running

Tracey
    ouch for Bernard!!! 

Columba
    sounds like it was worth the journey for a run like that

Cool and misty gretted me outside - wheyhay!!!

5.1 miles done in 42:52 and avHR135 with a max of 152 as the sun and Hipps HIll masde the last mile a bit tougher

1m 9:02 hr122 leting legs get over yesterday
    2m 7:32 hr134
    3m 8:17 hr138
    4m 8:37 hr139
    5m 8:53 hr 148 Hipps Hill

that will do - exercises knackered me more than the run!!

Off toNewby Hall now for picnic with a birthday girl image

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Good luck Ceal!

Sounds like you guys are all going to have a nice meet-up - have fun.

Tracey - hope Bernard is o'kay.

Columba - sounds like you've got a beautiful area to run in.

I did some 200ms yesterday, decided to push the old body! I now have a sore right calf! I didn't run today, but have my first xcountry for the season tomorrow.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

NZC
    It sounds so strange to hear that you are about to take part in your first xcountry for the season.

I had a great time in the park with old friends. Tracey, Pammie, K2 and JJ. Eric joined us for lunch too. He was racing as well.

Conditions in the Park were far from good.  It was warm but I can't say that I really noticed that, but it would have been a factor. What I did notice along with everybody else was the wind. In my warm-up I ran along the lake and thought oh the wind isn't too bad, WRONG, I turned around and wow I realised immediately that it was going to be a tough race. It was. There never seemed to be a gain to be made from the following wind, but of course there must have been. Where I thought there should have been a following wind there was instead a cross wind. The leaves and bits of rubbish were dancing around all over the Park. Bits in ones eyes were part of the course too.

Anyway, it was the same for everybody and the general census of opinion after the race was that it had been really hard going and that times were down by around 40 secs. which is a lot over such a short distance.

I ran 24.14 mins, not a good time at all. But I know that I put all I could into the race and everybody can vouch for the fact that I was sweating big time for some considerable time afterwards.   Av HR was 154. I am not sure if I believe the HR details in the middle of the race or not, I think there may be a small spike in the middle which have messed up the stats.

4.39 mins, HR 146/155
    4.32 mins, HR 159/174
    4.52 mins, HR 158/172
    5.02 mins, HR 155/157
    4.58 mins, HR 153/157

The last 1.5 k were all into the wind. The good part to take from the race was that I was only 5 secs slower at 3k than my track race last weekimage.

It is our Wedding anniversary and Stewart is cooking me a duck, later, on the BBQ    

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

ceal, I'm never sure a following wind is that much of an advantage in running (as opposed to no wind at all), although it definitely is in cycling. Of course, it's a whole lot better than the head wind you had to contend with. Take that 40 seconds off you mention and it makes all the difference.

Columba, I get the impression you'll be going back to that club after the warm welcome and lovely routes on offer. I like to think our club is friendly too but there's not much waiting for slower runners to catch up!

I did a 10K on Wednesday evening, One I've run quite a few times. Last year I did a PB of 42m 9s and a £10 voucher for 2nd M60. Not quite on that form at the minute but I did beat my target of 44 minutes and also finished just ahead of a younger male rival in the club. So satisfied overall. Running a hard 5K on Saturday probably wasn't the best preparation. The time was 43m 50s, going through the 5K mark in 21m 33s.

It's a two-lap course, with a steady slight incline for the first half of each lap and a corresponding downhill slope for the second. Both pretty gradual though.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Columba - that club sounds lovely image
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening 

Was lovely to get up to London and see all who were there, Ceal, JJ, Tracey, K2, and Eric It was very warm today i was glad i wasn't racing (sorry Ceal). 

K2 i really enjoyed your company afterwards Thank you

Got back about 7 when i got to Fenchurch st, decided to wait 20 minutes so i could get a straight through train so didn't have to change Then went for a run 

2.61 miles took 27:41 which was ok

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    Evening all

Sounds like Hyde Park was the place to be, shame I had to work. That was a good time Ceal given the conditions.

Following my physio appt last Friday I have been cleared to run again, very slow build up is the order. Physio is hopeful that the knee has healed enough to avoid any more drastic action. So far run 1.14 miles pain free, finished puffing like steam train. I haven't run since due to the hot weather but hope to get some early morning in runs in over the weekend.

Yesterday was Liz's d-day, she suffered very uncomfortable journey to/from Oxford but made bearable by the fact that the consultants all agreed she could have the op that hopefully will mean she can get up and about again. Op could be as soon as August.

Mike T
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Mike, good news for both of you then, especially Liz. Good to hear.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

MT - that sounds like wonderful news about Liz.

K2 - the club is called the Rhayader Athletics Club.  I don't know what other athlectics they do besides running; if any.

Graham - maybe they only waited for the slower runners because I was a  New Girl. Though, the only person who knew the route was with the faster group, so they more-or-less had to wait for us at crucial points or we wouldn't have known where to go and might have gone careering off over the horizon.

Ceal - at least the wind toned-down the heat for your LFOTM. Happy wedding anniversary and enjoy the duck (didn't take one home from the Serpentine, did you?)

NZC - It is indeed a beautiful part of the world.

Elder daughter had a holiday in NZ a few years ago, and brought me back a book of photographs called "New Zealand Landscapes" - incredibly beautiful - but I dare say it isn't like that all over.

Bought some pansies and put them into hanging baskets, - not baskets, sort of troughs that fit close against the wall of the house. That's going to mean daily watering for the rest of the summer, as they're under the eaves so don't get any rain even when there is some.

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Ceal - good hard running in tough condtions! I think your run was similar to mine, I don't have the splits though, I just know I lost a bit of time over the 2nd half of the course.

Happy wedding anniversary - hope you didn't run so hard that you can't enjoy the duck!

I don't know Eric, but did anyone else on the forum run?

Graham - good 10km time, you didn't lose too much time in the 2nd 5km.

JJ - agree about xcountry - I feel like I've been hit by a bus!

Empty - roll on August, I'm sure Liz will be very happy about that.

Columbia - you're right, there are good and bad places in every country, we only show the good bits!

The xcountry was 6100m, not too bad as we haven't had much rain, so not muddy, but of course - good conditions, you have to run harder! Not too tough a course, just undulating, but 3 laps!

Different runners do x-country to marathons and half marathons, so I had my old track rival that I tried to hang onto for one and a half laps, until other women from my club came past, and I lost a bit of concentration. One of them was a W55, and in x-country they only go up to W55+, so I could see my placing getting worse. I thought I'd got 3rd W55 but miscounted, and there was another one in there too, so I was 4th, by my watch I got 29.56, faster than last year, but conditions were better.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Andre had Saturday club this week at his school. So took him there then came home cut the back lawn, cleaned out little shed and got Andre's pool out for when I bring him home. Lucky we don't have a hose pipe ban image
  • Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    You certainly know how to relax Traceyimage Perfect weather for the pool.

Mike T
  • Options

Good and wonderful morning everyone!

MT
    So glad that Liz will get the op. Please give her my best wishes.

Lovely to see JJ< Pammie, Tracey and ceal yesterday. Report follows. It may be a bit long...............

Set off for 10.00am train to allow plenty of time for traffic. Realised ticket was for 9.30 ttrai but got there in time to just catch it and pay for parking on train. After 30 mins on Hold I gave up and tried plans B and C then gave up.

Lovely walk through kensington gardens to meet the others. Good to watch the race.

Lovely lunch when Pammie and I stated the "Pammie and Jan share a pizza" tradition we started last time I was down.

Pammie and I headed off down Oxford Street (never let me go there again - too many people) and had a cuppa then went to the Burzinsky Expo at the Photographers' Gallery. Interesting - huge photographs.  Then we set off to the Tube and Pammie made sure I got off at cannon Street so I could go and visit my friend at the City store.

• Options

(Firefox keeps crashing so will report fairly often).

Visited the legendary stock-room (it's not even really a cellar - even I can't stand up in it and one guy used to scoot round lying on a skateboard), had an ice-cream, went for Tube. Waited and waited but no train came for Paddington. realised I'd be waiting an hour at Paddington so got two cuppas (one each) and went back to store, then back to Tube.

Still no trains. BY this time I was getting worried. The map on the wall (showing end of line at Paddington) didn't make sense on Circle Line so I asked a member of staff. A long story but I go an a train and made it with 5 mins to spare for my train.

Brass band playing at the station which sounded rather godd.

• Options

.Good.

Train very full and all reservations seemed to be from Paddington. Found a seat. Asked woman if it was reserved and she said she'd been there but the seat was wet so she'd moved. BY this time (really needing food and another cuppa) I was past caring and on the way home so put down a few sheets of the Evening Stndard and sat down, though could feel a slight dampness. The woman was partially sighted and had a guide dog and some poop bags so I sat on one of those as well.

We had a lovely chat - covered the dog (Female, called Drew), where and what work we each do, offspring involved with the theatre, telepathy, etc - and all before Reading.

Just after Reading a young boy of about 10 leaned across to me and asked my name. I'll just tell his bits and any relevant parts

And what's her name?
    (Thelma, but he gets it wrong several times. He tells me he's called Ben)
    What's the dog called?
    (Henry)
    Hello, Henry. (Dog ignores child. This happens a few times then w says she told him that so the dog wouldn't react)

This goes on for a while, then lovely gent, who Ben has told me is his friend) sitting  behind me  leans forward, thanks me for my patience and tells me that Charlie has some sort of autism and he is Charlie's grandad who is giving mum and dad a break for the weekend.

This continued to Bristol where we all got off, Ben/Charlie calling Good-bye, Jan as he disappeared down the carriage.

• Options

I then said goodbye to Thelma, Drew and T's husband wh'd come to meet her. She'd also been telling me that on Tusday she'd been on the train when it hit wo people. Hubby is a signalman at Bristol and had been worried as they were in a tunnerl (so no phone contact) and her knew there had been fatalities. Stuck for six hours.

Rang APCOa again. Straight through. Parking ticket on car but man told me what to do - ring between 9 and 5 on Monday (well, you must be joking but.... ) and tell them I'd contest it. Fortunately  Thelma's husband will be able to vouch for me getting off htat train if the long list of texts, phone calls and emails doesn't convince them!

And so, dear friends, to bed.

Lovely day but Ben/Charlie, Thelma and Drew/Henry really finsiehd it off well with an added touch of low-blood-sugar entertainment.

Here's to the next one.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

K2 - What an eventful journey! Glad you got the parking sorted, - well, looks as though you will have, anyway. Sounds as though you may be keeping in touch with Thelma and husband. Hope you got the blood sugar boosted promptly.

Tracey - lucky Andre, - Saturday Club and then home to a paddling pool. My daughter sent me a photo recently of grandaughter Alice (now 8 months and sitting up) having her first experience of a paddling pool. She looked as though she was enjoying it.

On account of the heat, I thought I'd better run early today (my idea of early being before 8.00).  Warm-up of 1.9 miles, then 20 x 30-second hill reps. I took a drink with me and hung it on a bush and allowed myself a swig after each 5 reps. Having reached the chapter in Julian Goater on "Breathing", I was trying to control mine during the warm-up and cool-down and even the jog-back-down bits between the reps. If nothing else, it helped to take my mind off the agony. When I got home I was so sweaty all my clothes had to be peeled off inside-out.  

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Empty good to hear from you. Glad Liz's getting the op all the best with that. Also glad to hear you can resume running good luck with the comeback

K2 an eventful journey more exciting than mine no talking whatsoever

3rd da of running tonight waited till after 7:30 and did 4.01 miles in 42:17 no splits still warm at that time

• Options

good morning

Empty
    good news about Liz's op - I do hope all goes well 
    Good news on the running front as well - do you have any ongoing physio planned or is it just suck it and see??
    all  settled ino the new home and everyhting working ok?

Ceal
    a tough day in the Park - but everyone else was in the same boat by the times so you know it was not just you!!!
    sounded like a most connvivial gathering in the park as well even if K2 had a somewhat traumatic journey after!!!

JJ
    good effort this morning in the heat - nice splits for those miles.

Columba
    there is one very good lesson about breathing - don't stop!!!!!
    20 hill reps - respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

NZC
    as Ceal ( I think ) said, it seems strange talking about xcountry at this time of year - for us!!! 3 lap races are really nasty - one is all too aware what is coming up !! >W55 is a bit harsh but it gave you some competition!!

Watching 17, 2-4 year olds throwing themselves onto a bouncy castle for two hours intersperced by tea yesterday seemed to leave me very tired this morning but I set off in hot sun and a gentle cooling breeze on the hill tops. After a couple of miles I felt a bit better and my cunning use of tree, hedge and building shade I managed to run11.05 miles 1:38:44 (8:57m/m) with avHR of 134 (68%WHR) and a max  of only 151

01m 9:53 hr119
    02m 9:08 hr132
    03m 9:16 hr130
    04m 9:07 hr132
    05m 9:06 hr138
    06m 8:24 hr137
    07m 8:13 hr135
    08m 8:49 hr139
    09m 8:42 hr136
    10m 8:03 hr140 ran this mile round my mile interval course & tried to rasie pace
    11m 9:47 hr146 Hipps Hill - and paid for the previous venture

Finished and immediately felt where the chafing of material and sweat had rubbed raw my upper thighs and inner arms - shower was nice, notimage!!!
    Overall it was ok and even a bit (av 4sec/mile) faster than last week and a bit further. One does not resign from the 10 mile club willingly!!!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Not long back from Eton Manor 5k

27:30

Average Pace 8:46

8:35

8:54

8:52

1:07 (8:12 pace)

Bernard

20:53

6:17

7:03

6:46

0:46
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

MT,
    Very pleased to hear your positive news so the very best to the both of you, you certainly deserve some good fortune.

ceal,
    Well done on your race, the heat and humidity seem so much tougher as you get older.
    My aches and pains were from cutting tree on mu BiL property but I am back to normal now.

Columba,
    Very impressed with your hills, when your next race?

Tracey,
    Yet another race from you. Bernard doesn't seem to trouble by his fall as his time is great.

TS,
    That is a great 11 miles with a strong finish, looking good.

Mick

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

It is our big race weekend in Ottawa so I did my volunteer bit at the kit pickup again. 6 hours on my feet. Ran 14k on Saturday along the marathon route downtown and an enjoyable 5k today in the sun.

10:02 Sunday, May 27, 2012
    Home5.4k, 23c, sun, felt strong, no heel lifts

Total Run Duration = 28:22,  Run Length = 5.4 Kms or 3.4 Miles
    Lap Detail
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength
     01     05:48     1.0        0.6      05:48      09:20        55.8        63.9       87.0        0.99
     02     05:18     1.0        0.6      05:18      08:33        64.6        68.7       86.0        1.09
     03     05:06     1.0        0.6      05:06      08:13        69.4        73.5       87.0        1.12
     04     05:10     1.0        0.6      05:10      08:20        74.1        77.6       85.0        1.14
     05     04:55     1.0        0.6      04:55      07:54        78.9        85.0       87.0        1.17
     06     02:03     0.4        0.3      04:40      07:30        86.4        87.8       88.0        1.22

Totals and averages for selected Laps
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength
     06     28:22     5.4        3.4      05:13      08:23        70.0        74.9       86.5        1.11

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

TS Cor!!!!!! your runs are getting long nice one today

Mick Busy day for you

Tracey nice racing from you and Bernard

Me 2.46 miles very hot and sticky thinking of those running Edinburgh marathon thinking i wouldn't fancy that felt very tough but splitswere

10:58
    10:08
    4:18 (9:53)

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    JJ - going to try and improve my 5k time on Saturday at my local park run image