Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seb, like Bus says, he smashed 59, so you'll comfortably smash 60. I'm not 100% on your current pbs, but i'm pretty sure you'll be at least my zone, and i got 58:24 last year.

Basically you need to do sub 58 or you're off the thread image

Stevie, come on down old son. It's a terrible course if you love a good last minute outdoor "unleash" a minute before the start though...but has plenty of pubs and places for an after race drink.

British record is on this course, in the 46s I think...and the field will be top quality...i did a 5:24 first mile last year, and even with that kind of ridiculous start was still miles off the leaders, so they must have ducked well under 5 for that first mile, and unlike me, keep it going!

It's a fast course though, with only some steps at around 8/9 miles to slow you briefly, and a mile of some bizarre grainy sandy kind of stuff...

Bus...hard to tell, but is it something to run through and stretch, or something simply to rest?My hip locked afew months ago, and i literally had to walk back to work and abort run...something that hadn't happened...well ever.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you do yourself an injustice at Cabbage Patch, I have you down as 56:23 or sub 74 min half marathon pace for 10 miles if you like.

Couple of 5 mile jogs for me today, and jogs they were.

🙂

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

I'm well up for that but need to wait till our local XC league dates are released to check it's a green light situation. I've got a 10 miler here in Aug but it's not super quick, but still quickish. I did 1:01:42 last year so I need to be nearly 2 mins faster image

Ignoring McMilan and other such science. What did you guys run for 10k/5miles before going sub 60?

• As SG says, Cabbage Patch i a fairly flat and so fast course. Only issue is those few steps he mentions and a bit of the Thames towpath where it isn;t best underfoot. Over the winter it got worse than it was last October, it will be interesting to see if it recovers over the "summer". I have been traiing on the steps just to get used to them.

11.5 miles today at 7:05 pace: wasn't goign to hang round in the rain. Easy tomorrow before midweek race (Bridges) so will get a full week in after my last two weeks only being 48 in total.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I did 28:15 the week before I ran 59:11 at the Cabbage Patch.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS - balls! lake vrynwy is full already but they are allowing "elite" allocation still to apply by email if you run a sub 75.  My problem is i havent gone sub75 yet but i believe i would have a decent chance at this race as i was going to focus on this distance for 2 month in the build up. So i await their reply but its not looking likely.   If im out i will run the robin hood half.

im interested in the cabbage patch just need to check i dont have anything on around this date.

• Stevie see wrote (see)

I'm well up for that but need to wait till our local XC league dates are released to check it's a green light situation. I've got a 10 miler here in Aug but it's not super quick, but still quickish. I did 1:01:42 last year so I need to be nearly 2 mins faster image

Ignoring McMilan and other such science. What did you guys run for 10k/5miles before going sub 60?

If your leagues follow the national dates then you may not be clear. There are "approved" league dates on e.g. http://www.chilternccl.co.uk/fixtures.htm and Cabbage ptach is the day after league match 1.

Never gone over 60 so don't know what you mean image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric,not quite sure what you mean by your 56:23 comment?! That'd be 5.38 pace, so even if you were meaning the pace i'd have done if i'd kep that ridiculous 5:24 pacing, it would have been 54or so...

Phil, you were lucky not to do Maidenhead last year...that would have been a guaranteed over 60....

Stevie, you probably need a 29:30 at slowest for 5m to go sub 60 for 10. In fairness...i should have been under 60 a while before i did...so the 28:05 5miler i did about 4 weeks before is irrelevant

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, its ok I made a mistake somewhere. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

One thing from last years Cabbage Patch. There was a guy who finished ahead of me but behind SG who ran the race in the manner of a fartlek session. Most disruptive. As soon as I had crept along side him, he just put in a great sprint for 10 yards or so, or hurdled imaginary obstructions on the road. Time and again this happened. I just wished he'd bugger off.

🙂

• Dean I'm sure chingo got an elite entry without the time or he knows someone who did not exactly sure if he's lurking he may be able to advise!!

Might do cabbage patch quite fancy trying a 10 mile race sub 56? but would have to stay over any suggestions how far is it from Knightsbridge in London?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image Knightsbridge Rob T? Got a few grand spare have you?

Ric, that is irritating, but what is even more irritating, is when someone claims they were "racing at tempo pace", or doing a "B race", or some other fanny fartery designed to stop them admitting they were just beaten by yourself.

We all have the odd excuse from race to race, and races we can't let go such were the conditions, like Maidenhead 10m 2011, and that damm park run last August image, but some runners greet you with a wave of excuses, and disclaimers before you've even properly said helllo!

Bus, we know one like that don't we image

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Looks like the North Staffs XC league doesn't have a fixture then... Northern boys on tour!

SG - I've done 29:24 so far this year so that's a good sign? I think I'll get closer to 29 if I have a good day.

• Stevie knightbridge is where the hotel I normally stay in is a friend gets me a good deal image but I don't know London very well just know it's easy to run to Hyde park from there by the way if anyone fancies a run around Hyde park wednesday afternoon around 3/4 ish I'm staying at the hotel overnight but have a function from 6 and a breakfast meeting at 8 Thursday
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, should probably be fine..you basically can afford to lose just over a minute in the second half...October should be reasonably safe from a freakishly hot day too! (although the 10k i did last october was hot...the 5m and 10m were perfect conditions)

Rob, must be a good deal, as i'd imagine it's not very cheap round there! DT2 or Phil might be able to have a run with you...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't know who you mean SG image

SS - my first sub 60 was 59:30 in 2010 with a 29:04 for 5M a couple of weeks later, but couldn't get under 37 that year for 10k if that's any guide....

Hoping the hip is a muscle thing SG and clears up quickly and not the same sort of thing that put me out of action with a bang for weeks last year!

One big fly in the ointment is my slow brain has just realised it's my son's 9th birthday on 21st October, which might make CP a bit tricky....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hope that clears up Bus...although you're probably the best on the thread for getting through aches and still running and racing well.

Looks like CP is a week later this year then...shame if it is a clash, because that'll have meant you missed both big 10milers this year.

First proper speedsession back on the schedule today. In my build back up, I did a couple of 5x 1/2m at 5k pace in fairness, off 90secs, so the 6x1k at 5.40 (10k pace) off 2mins should be fine.

Will be attempting to shoehorn in at lunchtime, so will be road rather than track. Will try and use the same 1k stretch this time...when I did the 1/2mile reps i just ran as I found, meaning I was foolishly trying to cross a road at one point.

The runs have to be arranged really well at the moment, with 2 footy games an evening! Yesterday I snucka  3miler in at half time of England's game...luckily the 10mins of gametime i missed weren't key!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

SS - balls! lake vrynwy is full already but they are allowing "elite" allocation still to apply by email if you run a sub 75.  My problem is i havent gone sub75 yet but i believe i would have a decent chance at this race as i was going to focus on this distance for 2 month in the build up. So i await their reply but its not looking likely.   If im out i will run the robin hood half.

Just got reply from the race director and they are allowing me this entry. Result! Whilst i never feel any pressure to hit times i know i HAVE to perform here otherwise i will look like a right tool.  Time to prepare a HM plan to peak in sept. My focus is 5ks series over the summer but i will start longer tempo sessions now.

Message to chingo..we were planning on dragging each other round to a sub 75....its just got very real mate..image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sub 75 would be nice wouldn't it...in a way it's almost the last big attainable* target for a half, as sun 1hr 10 is asking a huge amount.

(disclaimer...*attainable as in for those who are pretty darn fast and/or have trained like dogs for years!)

• Dean - pleased you got in Vernwy image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Bus you're not working from home friday are you by any chance? potentially am able to do my tempo-y hard at lunch? basically 2mile stints easy, steady, MP, HMP...a partner in tempo wouldn't hurt.

• Hope you don't mind if I pop in here every so often. Now that Comrades is out of the way I have similar targets to a lot of you guys. Primary goal for the second half of the year is 2:39 at Abingdon but a few others I would like to have a go at first.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The more the merrier Warren! What else have you got planned over the summmer?

'fraid no working at home at all this week SG - almost wall to wall meetings image

I ran in this morning through the swamps (!) and hip held up OK, so was probably just a bit of strained muscle or something. Biggest problem now is a burning, tingling pain all down my left thigh - bloody stinging nettles!!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seb, surely you're nailed on for well sub-60?  I'd have put you down as a similar level to myself (if not quicker), and I would be looking for at least 58ish on a quick 10-mile course.  I'd expect Stevie See to be comfortable for sub-60 by October as well.  Sounds like Cabbage Patch could be a cracker.  Maybe if there's enough of us, we can club together for our own portaloo, thus resolving the pre--race toilet issues.

Dean - your reputation has clearly preceded you.  They were probably waiting and hoping for your e-mail.

Warren - welcome!  Excellent marathon PB. What other targets are you after?  And, more importantly, north or south?

Tempo for me last night.  Shouldn't really do it the day after a race, but I was annoyed with myself and decided to use that frustrated energy.  2 miles w/u, 3 miles tempo, 1 mile slow, 2 miles tempo, 2 miles w/d.  Tempo at approximately 5:50 pace.  The fact that I was able to do this without after effect is probably an indictment of my race on Sunday.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - come on, name some names!  Who's the guy with the excuses?

• Thanks Dachs & Bus. I'll be trying my hand at a bit of track with my first ever 3,000m race as well as my second crack at 5,000m. I stay in Surrey so Southener for these purposes. I'll be hopefully looking for sub 16:30 for the 5,000m with last year's outing having been 16:49. I've entered Maidenhead half in Sept as part of the build up to Abingdon. I'd like to go sub 76 (sub 75 is still a way off). I'll try have a go at a 10km and a 5km road PB along the way too. 

The 2:39 is my target but PB currently stands at 2:45 (from last year). I am hoping that the extra year's running experience and the flatter Abingdon course should mean it is within reach. After all, progression since starting running a few years ago has been 3:39 (Sept 09), 2:57 (Oct 10) and 2:45 (Oct 11).

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

maybe Dachs, purely guesswork as I've not raced more than 7.5miles before. Although I should be prepared as I intend on completing a substantial base training program by October, 5:50's probably on the cards i.e 58:20  and sub 58 1st time out would just be great.  Good tempo session by the way.

good on you getting an 'elite' entry Dean!

Thats a good marathon progression WarrenK!

getting ready for my 5mile race tonight... praying for a PB and sub 29 minimum. weathers holding out ok so far. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

looking for some advice..my training is very focused to 10k and below but nopw i have to go sub 75 on the HM. To do that i could do with some advice on paces/mileage/sessions.

Currently i run (ignoring the track for now)

4m mon to thurs @ ave 7.15mm pace

Sat 10m at 6.45 pace

Sun 15m LSR at 7min pace.

My current PB at HM is 76.28 with an ave pace of 5.50.

what sessions could/should i change ?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Welcome Warren...one day there might be someone on this thread slower than me, well..who isn't on a massive improvement streak, or a V40 with past pedigree....image

Your marathon times are pretty tidy, and doing a Comrades sounds out of my league, let alone a fast time!

Seb, hope tonight is a fast course. There's a few of us who have said you're "probably my pace, if not faster", so it'll be interesting to get a proper flat fast result on your account.

Dachs...haha we'll speak in the flesh one time...

Bus, i'ms ure the offroad is good for joints in one way, as every foot is a different force, whereas on the road the same impact happens every footstep. However, all those extremely hilly runs you do must increase your niggles!

1st hard session back under the M man's tutleage today.

One of the first times I can remember that i've ever done a proper speedsession, a) at lunch, and b) on the road

Aim was 6x1k at 10k pace, off 2mins, which equated to a 3.30/3.31 km target

came out 3.28,3.30,3.33,3.25,3.28,3.29

Kms 3,5 and 6 included slight inclines, and a little wind. The 3rd km was certainly the hardest in regards to both of these, as i was pushing hard to even get in for 3.33!  The 4th k was comfy in comparison, very slight descent, and no wind, felt like sweet relief!

Could have taken the soft option for the 6th km, and done the slight descent route, but instead made it harder into a little wind, but we got there.

happy with those.

Reminded me that 10k pace is quite fast to hold for a whole race image

Quite looking foward to fridays 10m progressive job now. I

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, far be it for me to tell someone faster than me what to do, but the things that stand out in your current programme are the LSR being run faster than the 4milers...and the 10m on the saturday.

To me the LSR should be the slowest run of the week, outside of the rare recovery runs, which are the easy pace +45secs type fare you do after a tough race, where your legs are monstered and you're literally trying to freshen the legs up.

The 10m could be extended to a 12m at least in base period, and moevd to the Wednesday. Replace it with a couple of easy short ones on the sat instead, and leave yourself fresher for the sunday.

Therefore, you'd come out as

M  2x easy
    T  1xeasy     1xspeedwork
    W 1x easy    1xmedium long run 10-12
    T  day off
    F  1x easy    1xtempo
    S  2x easy
    Su 1x LSR

a good structure i've found works well for me under the M man's tutelage.

A couple of good sessions for the HM prep

1) A week or 2 before, final tough session...
    14miles, 8miles easy to steady, 3miles MP, 3miles HMP

2) A lighter shape up...maybe the same week..
    3 x 2miles HMP off 2mins