Options

London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Prod her on her blog saying we miss her image

I would... but it never send me an email think it gets blocked somewhere along the line! So I never get to confirm my account so can't post.  A slightly frustrating site.... image

• Options

I think you scared her off Booky!

• Options
    No blog from Carolyn for the last week? Is cas still going for it does anyone know?
  • Options

Caz is here and has just done the Silverstone half. Wanted sub 3 - yeah yeah, that's slow (!!) but in the end my knee had enough of the bitter cold and rain at mile 8 so ended up walking the last 4 miles. I did it though - final time 3 hours 5 minutes and I'm pretty happy with that, given how wet and freezing cold it was. Blog will be out this week I promise. I've been so busy with the new job and I'm hiding my head in the sand and hoping London goes away. It wont. And I have six weeks to build on my half marathon now....yay!image

• Options
    Well done cas !!! Top result - time does not matter as you completed it.

Dead pleased for you.

If you can run a half you run a marathon as the second half is in the head and you can limp round if you make it half way - that's my attitude anyway. Pain is temporary and pride is forever.

Well done again - excellent.
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

BRILLIANT image 

well done cas image only two or three weeks then taper heaven / madness image

you are in the final charge image

• Options

Thanks guys, it's been a tough one so far, I have seriously doubted my ability but doing this half, even with the rain and winds, made me realise you just have to plod on and keep going. I'm still scared, but I feel better prepared! 

I actually couldn't wait to get back and update you all....so you must be motivating me well enough....THANKS!

• Options

Hi everyone, this is my first post as I am new to the forum.  I am running London in April too, and have only managed to go up to 13 miles so far due to a knee injury. am well on the mend now but panicking just a bit!  I've gone from being a couch potato in October to hopefully a marathon finisher in April but am definitely going to need the crowd to get me to the end!  I seem to go from being confident that I can make it to thinking "what on earth am I doing, I can not do this" (polite version) in minutes. help!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Relax, London is easy, you have a long time limit, worse case scenario you can walk it image

plan some scenarios outing your head including an ok my knee hurts will I rather put up with the pain and have the glory Or not image

if you have an injury that could actually cause permanent damage then of course you don't run, if you are injured but sure you are going to keep running and do it next year, then hard decision. If it's going to be your only marathon, and it's just a pain that will clear up, after a couple of weeks, then run / walk / hop and crawl, and you should get around in time image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Look at run / walk plans, if you consider doing them, then do them from the start. image 

• Options

Birch - I have run marathons when i have been injured and ill and my plan is to try and get to 10k then half way round (in a semi reasonable run / jog) then you know if the worst comes to the worst you can walk / jog. In my cases they have turned out better than i expected. Dont panic - and make sure you get to the start line as its half the battle.

• Options

thanks Wenty & booktrunk, I plan to go for the run/walk approach from the start & I like the bite size approach you suggest of aiming for 10k, then half way, etc.  I hope to keep on running afterwards but saw my physio who said there will be no permanent damage caused by running on my knee, just as long as I can bear it  image

• Options

Good stuff Birdie! When I have been injured i have had the odd painkiller, but i know this is heavily frowned upon and not recommended.

You can bear it !

• Options
    Well done lolo - almost there . Big push for next 2or 3 weeks and it will all be worth it. How did the 16 miles go
  • Options
    Not long now people - taper time. How is everyone getting on?
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Go Wenty, go Wenty 2:59:44 image

• Options

Not feeling confident image - And not looking forward to the pain. where is the Cas?

• Options

Bad news with Cas!! In her blog she has a bad knee and told not to run for 2 weeks and probably not the marathon, A real shame after all the hard work.

• Options

I've had to defer to 2015 due to injury - blisters like I've never known on the soles of my feet. Thought they'd healed after 10 days rest, ran 5 miles and they were worse than eveR. Feet were like raw meat. Yuk!! Pretty sure caused by trying new socks so won't be making that mistake again. Onwards to 2015! 

Just wanted to to wish everyone all the best for next week. You can all do it! image)

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Arrrrgh nightmares for pammyb and Cas image

• Options
    Sorry to hear that pant onwards and upwards to 2015
  • Options

I'm still lurking from earlier in this thread and looking forward to Sunday, although I've had my first slight injury in my 12 months of running and it isn't recovered fully - I can run though, it's only inflamed tendons but a little uncomfortable,

It has knocked my confidence a bit and it occurred during week 1 of taper, sods law of timing!!!

My training went perfect until then, longest three runs were 19.25 miles, 20 miles and 20 miles.

Part of me knows I've nailed the hard work and am ready, another part says my leg will fall off with this very slight injury half way round! God I hope it's gone by Sunday so I don't have to worry.

Very nervous I must say, this being my first marathon. It's also my 40th birthday at hopefully the time I cross the line and I'm running for Mind, so a fair bit riding on it!!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Awesome image you'll be great Dave getting injured in the taper is the best time, you still got your long runs in, and it made sure that you tapered properly image

one of my marathons last year I was worried about a niggle, I noticed it for the first couple of miles after that was warmed up and feeling the buzz from other runners so completely forgot about it image

• Options

I hadn't thought of it that way BT, thanks for that perspective, fingers crossed I will have a similar experience as you did image

• Options

Dave - I always have an injury in taper. I think its a combination of being more self aware and the body adjusting to repairing itself. You will be good to go come sunday! Best of luck....

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Oh... Wenty

HAVE A GREAT RACE

You are going to fly come Sunday image I look forward to seeing you crossing the line sub 3h, believe in yourself. image

• Options

Thanks Wenty, hope you have a great race too!

• Options

Hmmm not sure - sore Glutes and a dodgy Hip!!! image

Will be glad for no running after the marathon!