Options

London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Well I finally got my hands on my Forerunner 220 yesterday and did my first run with it today. What a difference knowing my HR zone made, but the biggest thing that helped me was my lap pace, with auto lap on at 1k. The route I run has a 1k incline then a 1k decline, in a loop, and checking lap pace helped me massively.

I managed a 10k PB at 54.19, taking 60 seconds off. Also the old PB (end of Aug) was on a flatter route. Both were training runs, as my 2 10k races so far both left me doubting measurement and I disregarded the times (one would just still stand as a PB but I reckon it was 600m short!).

improvements are thick and fast anyway as I am only 7 months into being a runner, having lived an overweight, unfit adult life before that with no exercise. I'm 39.

My HR% came in at average of 89% so fairly happy I put the right effort in, although I only did my resting rate for 15 min sat down before I went out (56bpm) so will do it in the morning or overnight as BT suggests.

Very pleased with it so far!!!! Also made me smile that my resting HR is in the Athlete category for my age, ha! Bring on London!

• Options

DaveG2: Congrats it's awesome when you unleash the inner healthier you, and toys that help are so much fun image

• Options

The toys most certainly help! My next purchase is actual running trainers, in a week or two and then my marathon training plan will start a week or two after that, but I'm maintaining 20 mile weeks over four runs until that time.

• Options

Interetsing point regarding the resting heartrate (RHR) mine is down to low 40's now when not training too hard, but when i am overtraining it goes into mid 50's and need to take an extra day or 2 off. Its a good sign of when to back off and take it easy.

Good to hear everyone is still plugging away, especially now the nights are dark and it keeps raining. No races for me now till feb next year!

• Options

Wenty! Missed you! 

Gosh, my resting HR is 78..... And I climb up to ave 145 on my runs....but I hope to see this drop soon. 

I started a new job this week as a reporter for a local paper and the hours are rubbish, I am worried my training will take a knock now I have to work longer hours. I will kick my arse and get myself out though or I will be so angry with myself. 

how do others motivate themselves to run in the cold and dark??

• Options

Cas,

Ah - its nice to be missed - I thought you had gone AWOL as well, as you had stopped posting. My RHR used to be through the roof before i was running, it will come down in time.

I have the same problem as i have, a new job. I can't do evenings, so i get up and either get to work and run or run in lunch hour or after work before i drive home - then i miss all the traffic jams (well not all of them). so it motivates me. or find someone else to drag you out ! There is normally some way to motivate yourself.

I dont mind cold or dark (although i got lost yesterday and it was pitch black, no street lights or pavements and no idea where i was and a 5 mile run became a 8 mile run after i found a few people to tell me where i was). However i dont like the rain and last few runs it has been raining - arghhh.

• Options

Cascita: new job sounds hard work, but hopefully worth it in the long run image keep on runningimage

• Options

BT I have to keep running now....my weekly blog is hosted by the newspaper I now work for! It would be too embarrassing to stop blogging!  I'm going to man up and go out tomorrow night with a headtorch tons of yellow Lycra! 

Wenty....I love the idea of getting so lost on a run I have to do 3 more miles! Next time take breadcrumbs out with you!! image

• Options

Good luck with the new job Cascita, did you get out with the head torch last night?

I really enjoyed using mine last winter, but I think when it's really cold the fog from your breath just gets lit up and you end up short on visibility.

Anyway some success for me, I have lost 2.3 kg in 2 weeks and I took 50 seconds off my best Park Run time for this year on Saturday.

i will keep an eye out for your blog this week.

• Options

Hmm never thought about the breadcrumb idea !!!!!

I have done a couple of worse ones! In my last job I went out and it started to snow quite hard and a 6 mile run ended up being 16 in the snow as i got totally lost. People at work were getting concerned and one person was about to go out looking for me! And in the same job i went for a run in Swinley forest and got lost for a couple of hours, as its a bit bigger than i thought (I guess the clue is in the name forest)

Its good you have something to keep you running  - embarressment! works a treat for me peer pressure. I have always found a good way to stick to something is tell everyone - then you have to do it. - Get that fluro lycra on Cas! image

• Options
    Wenty wrote (see)

Its good you have something to keep you running  - embarressment! works a treat for me peer pressure. I have always found a good way to stick to something is tell everyone - then you have to do it. - Get that fluro lycra on Cas! image

That is so true.  When i told my work colleagues i was thinking about a marathon and they all laughed at me, it spurred me on.

• Options

Hi, if anyone knows someone who still needs a London Marathon place, we have charity places available! Have a look and see what you think: www.lcdisability.org/londonmarathon 
    You'll be helping people with all types of disabilities to get out and about and live their lives to the full.
    You can get in touch to find out more on 020 3242 0264 image

• Options

Good stuff BT - whos the one laughing now! image (well except the ultra you must be mad!).

Cas - been reading all your other blogs, very good reads as it show how nuts most of this running lark must sound to non runners - GSOH as well! looking forward to the next one.

• Options

Aww thanks Wenty! I'm off to the Lake District this weekend, and...get this....I packed my running shoes!! Me, the one who thinks a girlie weekend away should involve pubs, food, wine and little else!! Can't quite believe it. 

I'm checking in neurotically though to see if Booktrunk gets her Asics place, and keeping my fingers crossed.

Everyone have a great weekend!

• Options

Cascita: hehe, cheers image

Love to hear if the shoes come out of their bag. Have a geat weekend.

• Options

well...I packed them on Friday. Sadly I just unpacked them again, completely unused but in my defence I did tons of hiking and was doing plenty of huffing and puffing so it must count. I'm itching to get out again though so tomorrow after work I will do my nice 5 mile loop. Cant believe after enjoying a lovely weekend away I am grumpy cos I didnt run. It's a topsy turvey world I have joined...!!

How was everyone else's weekend? BT has the cold gone now? Did you hear about Asics?

Any snow to get lost in where you are yet Wenty? image

Hope everyone has enjoyed a good weekend....

• Options

Asics... looks like those that get selected might find out Monday/Tuesady who nows, maybe they found out on Friday image trying to chill and not think about it.

Did a parkrun in 26:53 yesterday first run back at ParkRun in a few months.  Cold I thought had gone, but started wheezing again yesterday afternoon, and was there today.  Did 8.3M Cross country today, more hilly then normal.  But got a bit carried away yesterday and signed up for The Ridgeway Challenge, which is around 87 miles, and has a 26 hour time limit, with 9000ft of elevation next August. Did half an hours kettlebell weights this afternoon as well.  So still plodding along.

I don't have any real plan until the new year, i'm just trying to relax and chill and just run and get some base training in until the end of this year.

• Options

When I get carried away I buy two bars of chocolate instead of one. You enter ridiculously challenging events that I couldn't even begin to imagine tackling....bloody good effort, you rock!! if you don't get on the asics thing then someone at RW needs their head examining.....! 

• Options

haha. I don't think it works like that image

• Options

Seriously... The thing is that people think they cannot do these things. But, I think it's just down to self belief, if you can run a marathon then you can run one, followed by walking two or so more as quickly as you canimage I keep thinking that we over complicate running, and we just need to go out there and do our best. 

it's all about doing a performance that I am happy with or not at the end of the day. image

• Options

Its true BT - you do deserve an Asics place more than anyone else i can think of. (Apart from Cas of course image)

It is a strange world running - you hate it when you do it and miss it when you dont! I have just signed up for Portsmouth marathon on 22nd Dec this year in 5 weeks - Arghhhhh..... what am i doing...... It was the brandy and Christmas pies on the course that enticed me i think.

• Options

Wenty: That's awesome image it's addictive this signing up for things lark isn't it, and it's so easy to sign up for something.  It's only afterwards you think *bleep* what have I done.

• Options

Wenty, BT, that's what I thought when I got into the VLM, after signing up in April with the absolute understanding the odds of getting in were very low.  But, for me anyway, if I don't sign up, i don't do! a good motivator image

• Options

I've only got 5 days running planned in 2014, it's insane, but i have to plan almost daily the whole of next year around these 5 days so that i'm 'right' for them :0

• Options

Thats because you are a machine Booktrunk ............. 

• Options

A machine, a China Mieville style knackered steam driven beast from Perdido Street Station maybe.. I imagine i look ok when running, anytime I see a photo or a video I laugh at how awful I look. My face is usually in some grimace, and I could have sworn I was flying when i crossed the line in my last marathon, sadly according to the video, it's pretty much as slow and ungainly and more of a zombie like walking shambles then a run.

• Options

Yes Race photos are normally best avoided, as they are never going to show you in your best condition.

Rachaelcgen, I am the same have to sign up to these things to motivate me, then slug it out on the training runs and feel good after the race which is the high to sign up for another one. Got to be the first sign of insanity!

• Options

What time are you hoping to do Portsmouth in, as long as it isn't flooded image

• Options

BT - really dont mind what time i get at portsmouth as it was entered to make me train till the new year, then I am aiming for a sub 3hr in VLM 2014. (My training has really slackened off in the last few weeks)

So anything 3:30 will be good as i have heard its a tricky one with terrain and wind etc.

• Options

Nice way to kick start your training, 

good luck for your sub 3 London image I love reading the sub 3 spring thread. In the sub 4:30 n sub 5 it's fun, but the big girls n boys in sub 3 are something else image