Options

Are you and "in" or an "out"?

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I grew up in a very white town and a general level of racism was pretty widespread.

I think UKIP do well there these days.

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I grew up on a farm surrounded by friesian cows, who are by design very multicultural.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

No confidence vote against Corbyn is out, 80% against.

Either Eagle or Watson to stand against him apparently.

But Corbyn likely to win in an leadership vote still.

Then what?!

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Corbyn wins member vote. 50% of the standing MP's resign from Parliament. Mass by-elections across the country. UKIP pick up dozens of seats. It starts raining locusts. The seas turn to blood. Then we have The Rapture. That's my guess.
  • Options

back in 1986 I met my first husbands parents... nice working/middle class people...We were watching tv....and remarked..

I'm not racist but why do need to have them on tv .. or on the council...

they are lots around but I was hoping over the years they had learnt the stupidity of their words

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    It feels like the barrier between reality and absurdity is wafer thin at the moment. The chancellor came out this morning and told the country that our little world had fundamentally changed and the future is higher taxes, lower living standards and reduced public services. That would have been a jaw dropping statement a few months ago. Now it doesn't even make the main news. You could make a scathing satire about the last few days just by lifting events verbatim and not having to change a single thing.
  • Options

My mum is and always has been a bigoted Little Englander.Dad is not. i sometimes wonder how they ever got together if the truth be known.

i haven't phoned them since the result. i could have gone to see them on Friday but I can't. there will be a row if I do.

• Options
    JT141 wrote (see)
    The chancellor came out this morning and told the country that our little world had fundamentally changed and the future is higher taxes, lower living standards and reduced public services. That would have been a jaw dropping statement a few months ago. Now it doesn't even make the main news. 

Of course the slimy posh public schoolboy twat (no racism there image) has actually been saying that for the last 5 or 6 years - he's just got a new excuse to say it now!

Is Eagle that one who was on the referendum debate for Remain and was absolutely desperate? I don't see her improving things for the Labour party if that is her.

• Options

Seren I remember staying with a friend and they had this lovely couple round one evening churchy types but very sweet. Until the point the wife made a homophobic remark. it was a real WTF moment.

All I could think of the rest of the night was"when are these awful people leaving"? That and "why does she assume she has a consenting audience?" in fact that was the most annoying thing.

I was young and quiet then, I would tell  her to her face I didn't find it acceptable if it happened now.

• Options
    JT141 wrote (see)
    It feels like the barrier between reality and absurdity is wafer thin at the moment. The chancellor came out this morning and told the country that our little world had fundamentally changed and the future is higher taxes, lower living standards and reduced public services. That would have been a jaw dropping statement a few months ago. Now it doesn't even make the main news. You could make a scathing satire about the last few days just by lifting events verbatim and not having to change a single thing.

But it is going to make a great book/film/ TV series!

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    You should all see avenue Q. The best song is 'everyone is a little bit racist'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=kMeU_szhZ6E

We are all a bit racist and discriminatory when we get irked by someone. Suddenly your best mate becomes an ugly ginger twat or something similar. It is just human nature. Voting based on that childish resentment is the act of a person who should not be allowed out on their own.

There seems to be something very English that makes it ok to call people paki, paddy, Taffy, jock, etc when describing who they are and yet not even remotely thinking it is racist/horridly nasty.

I've been banging on about this shit for years. I was moving to Northern Ireland but now the idea of going over the Irish border looks very very tempting.

I am still hoping the second referendum actually happens and quickly. So far the choice of Bojo, MiGo or jerunt as PM is the scariest shit I've ever heard. Even Themay looks abetted option even though she believes water cannon are fine for use against protesting paddies m(her words) but not against looting Londoners.
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Oy, leave the gingers out of it - we're all innocent image

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    As the days go on, I do wonder if we will leave the EU. I appreciate the 52:48 but I've never seen such unrest. I just think we won't be able to go through with it. I suspect we'll be thrown out before we leave (obviously I'm not entirely sure if that's even possible.)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

As things stand, the UK has given itself an option to invoke article 50.

But will it? or more to the point, who will invoke it?

A bit like accidently voting to bring back capital punishment, then realising no one has the nerve to pull the lever to do the job.

Incidentally, did you realise the French last attempted to guillotine someone in 1977!

Meanwhile, the stock market is on the way back up, and the pound strengthens against other currencies.

As for the returning England football team, now is the time to give them their 'send off'.

A question of timing. As are many things.

🙂

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The local news here was funny. There were reports on HS2, Leeds financial sector and some other county council stuff. Everything came with coda: this may not be happening or relevant anymore as no one knows what's going on.
  • Options

Didn't you know JT, this is  Britain's new slogan image

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Sadly I think we'd have to be really up shit creek for parliament to get away with not invoking A50. And I can't see any way of legitimately doing that without putting the question back out there. Conditions would need to be so unmistakably dire only the most adamant Eurosceptics, nihilists, anarchists or the hopelessly bewildered would vote leave.

To be fair my computer when I delete something always asks me if I'm sure before permanently deleting it. That I'm an incompetent idiot is accounted for in the programming. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing, now everyone's actually paying attention, to double check what we want to do.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Do anarchists vote? I suppose if you're a proper anarchist then no. Weekend anarchists maybe. If you're a really super duper anarchist you might revolt against the confining concepts of anarchy itself and go and vote. But then you'd probably have to draw a huge cock on the ballot and kick over the booth to be sure you've got all bases covered.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I really shouldn't be left alone of an evening with a tablet and nothing much else to do.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Attempted to guillotine someone? Did it get stuck or something? I shall Google.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Another annoyance with Farage and his fellow UKIPers is they want the whole EU project to fail. Can't he just leave alone now he's got us out?

Apparently my Dad has been ill, he is consumed with guilt for voting leave due to the barrage of emails from his children. Whoops.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Sadly the horrible closet tories who didn't admit to voting to keep David Cameron as PM at the last election are the same closet racists who will be quietly ashamed of their horrible little nasty inner Tory but they don't own up to it in public because that would show them for what they are- twunts.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wonder how many people were under the impression that an 'out' result would mean the UK was 'out' the following day?

In the meantime, the vote allowed the inner,

/members/images/493151/Gallery/alf.jpg

out of the box.

The immigrants I've spoken to are both worried and confused about this development.

Don't worry, he won't survive unless you feed the bastard.

Must be embarrassing for those who revealed their inner racist. I mean, I stood there as someone laid into immigrants assuming I was in agreement.

Well, I try not to get emotionally charged over things outside my control, which; unless you can stop thinking, is difficult despite the tactic working.

Anyway, I was feeling a tad bored so I casually mentioned I was married to an immigrant. Well it's true, I am.

🙂

• Options

VDOT - Let's agree for a moment to swap the word "admit" for the word "tell"

Now then, I would imagine there are few who would actually "tell" people the way they voted in any general election so why this one would be any different? The result only came as a "surprise" because the pollsters got it wrong

I voted Tory in the last election because I thought it was way too soon to let the other lot back into mummy's purse, not because I am a "closet racist" or a "nasty twunt".

It is also interesting to reflect, is it not, that the very referendum in which so many vented their spleen was probably won by the Labour voters who, in voting Labour, never actually voted to have a referendum.

And are both those things also not proof that there are no simple answers to complex questions and that is why referendums such a bad idea?

They are banned in Germany you know?

• Options
    15West wrote (see)

Another annoyance with Farage and his fellow UKIPers is they want the whole EU project to fail. Can't he just leave alone now he's got us out?

Apparently my Dad has been ill, he is consumed with guilt for voting leave due to the barrage of emails from his children. Whoops.

• Options
    15West wrote (see)

They need it to fail completely because it would vindicate their position that it's all corrupt and we're better off out of it.  A prospering EU alongside an independent UK (regardless of how well we're doing) wouldn't so that.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Screamapillar wrote (see)

And are both those things also not proof that there are no simple answers to complex questions and that is why referendums such a bad idea?

Completely. Especially this one when the implications were totally unknown. It's crazy.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Screams, didn't know you were one of themimage

...the Torys stood at the last election (partly) on a pledge to hold the referendum so you ,perhaps unwittingly, voted for this at least being an option. On that basis It seems a bit odd to suggest that referendums are dangerous. You voted for it, as I would wager did lots of 'traditional labour' voters who wanted to vote their foreign neighbours and workmates out of the country so they could claim their homes, cars and business.

We are in a very deep pit and voting conservative put us here. No other party would have given the option Leave. Hopefully this will make the Tory 'twunts' unelectable...if society remains intact that is.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

As long as there is no decent opposition the Tories are safe.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Someone once said that the electoral success of the Conservative Party is based on persuading working people to vote for it when that is not in their interests.

I see that Stephen Crabbe and Sajid Javid are mulling a run on a joint "blue collar" ticket, as Tories from humble backgrounds who have made good. And this is another reason for the Tories' enduring success: people make good, think it's all through their own hard work in isolation (nothing to do with luck, or the policies of the govt of the day, or connections), and then they shit on those still below them. Javid is a case in point, with the Trade Union bill and his lack of interest in Port Talbot.

(And given the timescale and their ages, they would both have enjoyed their progress from poverty to prosperity under a Labour government.)