Are you and "in" or an "out"?

1474849505153»

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Banned? Again? I shall miss him/her* like an unpleasant affliction that one is relieved to be rid off but vaguely pine for!

If this were possible we could run a sweepstake on who would be the first to spot "Colin" when he/she reappears under a new pseudonym.

For older readers, who was that bloke from the Mirror who would give you a Tenner if you spotted him? Monty someone?

*(I do hope 2308 was a him or my faith in the female of the species would take a knock)
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    HA77 said:
    I stopped posting any replies to him as I got the feeling he was losing the plot. I had visions of seeing in the news a story about a middle aged man named Colin from South London driving a van into a mosque.

Likewise I resisted replying as it did seem to be attention seeking of the highest order, hence why I suspected trolling. That would actually be better than him losing the plot and feeling the need to express himself on here. 

I wonder if banning is just for a time delimited period and if he'll be back? Or whether he's going to go somewhere else? At least he shouldn't be thinking about doing something on the Tube.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Guarddog said:

I wonder if banning is just for a time delimited period and if he'll be back? Or whether he's going to go somewhere else? At least he shouldn't be thinking about doing something on the Tube.
    He can deffo login as am getting the usual thread notifications when he tries to post. Perhaps they've moved him to an alternate Universe a la The Flash and Earth 2? No doubt he'll return and unmask himself as either Bernard Manning or Chubby Brown.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    senidM said:

For older readers, who was that bloke from the Mirror who would give you a Tenner if you spotted him? Monty someone?

Wasn't that 'Chalkie White' as in "You are Chalkie White and I claim my £10"?
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Ynnec said:
    He can deffo login as am getting the usual thread notifications when he tries to post. Perhaps they've moved him to an alternate Universe a la The Flash and Earth 2? No doubt he'll return and unmask himself as either Bernard Manning or Chubby Brown.

I saw that too. Must be very frustrating writing stuff that no one is reading, but vaguely satisfying that we're still talking about him. Wonder if Jackie Collins* felt like that?

* although to be fair I'm not aware that people stopped reading her stuff, or actually talked about her.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Poor Colin, haunting the thread like the world's most tedious ghost. All those invisible posts about the great replacement theory and how he's afraid to sleep in case he wakes in the morning regenerated into a Romanian homosexual. People are often accused of masturbating too much online. In Colin's case though, he probably needs to wank a bit more.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Colin, this isn't a conspiracy to ignore your posts, they're just not registering on the forum. If you don't believe that, log out and have a gander.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    It is a conspiracy Colin. Everything is.
  • Ynnec said:
    2308 said:
    Ynnec said:

Now that you've conquered Mt Risk, perhaps it time to ascend the peak of Mt Statistical Significance.

That will tell me where a bomb is, will it?

The probability of getting seriously injured whilst travelling on your pimped up Brompton are far greater than on the train/tube. But hey, your choice. Just be sure not to veer off the road and collide head first into a Postbox. The resultant trauma and shock induce a cardiac arrest and you have to be given the kiss of life/resuscitated by a passing Somalian asylum seeker.

You'd enjoy the last bit wouldn't cha?
    We've had that conversation. Unsurprisingly, Mr. Tinfoil Helmet is still convinced he's safer on his bike. Probably because he feels he's in control. Despite not, in any way, being in control of all the other traffic. A bit like Brexit:

Johnson: We're working hard to get a deal!

EU27: No, he isn't - does he think we can't hear him?   

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I swing between enjoying Brexit as this weird melodrama and worrying about it. Most of the time it feels like a panto going on in the background, while trying to shake off the uneasy feeling that the horse keeps sidling closer and closer.
    Brexit really isn't really about leaving the EU. It's a collective midlife crisis. Some people take up cycling and buy a carbon fibre road bike, others start reading Spike News and fantasise about what the Jews are up to.
    At the heart of it there is such a damaging cynicism. This deeply held belief that everything has been made deliberately false and corrupt by vague antithetical controlling elites. It's a paranoid conspiracy got out of hand. It's a belief the whole game is meticulously rigged. That empirical foundations and emergent ideologies are fake and oppressive constructs. All principles are lies, and hypocrisy, misinformation and conspiracy are tactics. That's why it doesn't matter how much your own representatives might lie or contradict themselves. Victory is force of will. What that victory is is the tricky bit. I don't think there's a cohesive sense of what victory looks or feels like. And simply not being in the EU will not "feel" like victory.  Brexit is this sucking void that won't be satiated that easily. How, when or if we leave the EU, the "Brexit" identity isn't going anywhere 
  • Boris is quoted on the BBC website as saying
    ""There are two tasks we simply have to do - we must restore Stormont and we must come out [of the EU] on 31 October, or else permanent damage will be done in the UK to trust in our democratic system," he added."

So suspending parliament and suggesting that he will go against a law passed by parliament will have no effect on the trust in the system, will it?

JT - your comment reminds me of a Terry Pratchett quote I love:
    “It was much better to imagine men in some smokey room somewhere, made mad and cynical by privilege and power, plotting over brandy. You had to cling to this sort of image, because if you didn't then you might have to face the fact that bad things happened because ordinary people, the kind who brushed the dog and told the children bed time stories, were capable of then going out and doing horrible things to other ordinary people. It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, then what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.”

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I've been at the gym tonight and they had the Sky coverage of parliament on. These political contortions are hard enough for anyone to follow, but given the state of the live subtitling the deaf have not a fucking clue what's going on.

Which book is that from Nessie? Terry Pratchett was always good at subtext, and sometimes he'd give insights which seem so obvious when written down but can be so hard to express and encapsulate. I've often gone back to Feet Of Clay and Night Watch for comfort reading.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    My first ones were Mort and Witches Abroad in the mid 90s - both library loans. I love Death (the character that is).
  • That's from Jingo.

There's a Pratchett quote for just about everything, isn't there?