Options

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    I think you should keep your LSD runs to yourself Jon lol!! Was it a psychedelic experience down the valley this morning! (Couldn't resist!)
  • Options
    Lol you are such a funny man Sean.

Joking apart I reckon that 10mile loop is one of the best road training runs around here without going off road.
  • Options

lol re LSD run. Nice to see you here FB! Yep we are lucky down the valley to have some cracking routes, although difficult to avoid the inclines - great training though!?

34 in a year is just amazing Emmy - it sounds as if it is an addiction!? Two a year is enough for me - as I've said (once or twice!!??) before I wouldn't even contemplate doing any more - the desire the remain married is (a lot!) stronger!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Welcome Sean! I'm a little bit of a loon image I run a lot of doubles (2 marathons 2 days) and tended to run almost every weekend... this year will be quieter as I try to focus more on quality (so only 2weekends a monthimage).

Roger - Not sure about 27... I'm still totting up my totals for next yearimage Where abouts are you located? If you're south - have a look at Wokingham or Fleet. Cheap half marathons and a superb race.

John - I regularly did my LSRs on a saturday (due to work/life) and I can understand the methodology behind me. For me, I actually run better on tired legs so its a nice little warm up to a shorter LSR on sunday.

RE: Barca as a city. I have a lot of friends that are marathon junkies so I get to hear about the good races and Barca came up last year from a good friend of mine who ran it and said the atmosphere on Las Ramblas was one of the most memorable experiences that they had from a marathon... so i couldnt resist. Chuck in a great medal, some willing fellow running victims from the Paris thread and i'm there!

My last 10km tempo of the year done and felt alive. A great day to be running!

Apart from Sean is there anyone planning to run tomorrow?

• Options
    I'm planning a run tomorrow too still not sure of distance having to juggle childcare etc. Hoping to sneak a long one in tbh..,,
  • Options

Hey guys,
    Thought it was high time I joined in with this thread.  Barcelona will be marathon #5 for me and the current plan is to beat the PB I set in Berlin this year.  Couple of names on here I recognise from previous threads, Emmy from Berlin and Goldeagle from Edinburgh.

Running been going very well for me just lately and in the past couple of Sunday's I've started the long runs as my training has become more marathon focused.  Including Berlin I am on a hat-trick of PB's and was very confident of adding a 4th tomorrow at a 10k (current PB a touch weak) but I am off work today sick with a stinking cold!  I am in serious danger of paying to enter a race and being a DNS for the first time ever, rubbish!  Desperately hoping the Lemsip and Beechams work a miracle and I'll see how I feel I feel in the morning.

• Options

I will be going for a run tomorrow morning - I love running on new years day morning and seeing all the hung over people sleeping in cars and firework remains etc.

Might try 15 miles, as calf feels better (but slight ach high up on the calf, which is strange as i pulled the lower part of the calf, but i think i got that last time as well)

Good to see the thread getting a bit more interesting. Regarding the hills i presume Barcelona is a flat marathon?

• Options

Welcome newbies. My session didn't go particularly well, legs are more trashed than I realised. It wasn't on plan till tomorrow but there isn't a gym open in the county so it was a bit of necessity. No worries more or less did it just lots of breaks which isn't ideal but hey ho it's right at the start of marathon training and I can't remember when my next race is. Feb sometime so I'm going to get stuck into it with no races to worry about. 

• Options

Banksy - just seen you do strength training! I do lots, probably more than running now actually as i do 4 days weights a week if i can, mainly concentrating on heavy upper body and core - dont pound the legs except off season.

Typically i will do

Monday -  flys with  dumbels, bench press, 30 pressups with 15kg weights and 15 pull ups (3-4 sets of 10-12 reps)

Wednesday - squats, deadlifts, precher dumbell and barbel curls, kick backs, skull crushers, Overhead pull (3-4 sets of 10-12 reps)

Then same again later in the week. As marathon training ramps up i might drop down to a maintenance 2 days a week.

• Options

Hi there Monks - hope you're 100% again very soon - unfortunately I've lost a bit of money entering races I've not been able to do (family stuff cropping up in my case)

Sorry session didn't go as well planned Martin (I had feared as much) - at least there was a good reason for it - rather than a niggle flaring up again

Interesting Wenty. I must admit I don't do any weights, core work, cross training etc

• Options
    Well I managed to get my 8 (rather than 9) miles in early so that means I'm off the hook for tomorrow (but might go for a jog anyway!) had to knock a mile off cos our hosts had a gammon joint in the oven. Gotta get some protein in, it's all about the protein & the carbs tonight!! Lol!

Which 10k are you entered for Monk? I did the Weston hangover race last year which was a great start to the year image
  • Options

not long finished my last run of the year. 8miles steady. that gave me  1751 miles for the year! 33 more than last year!! happy new year to all of ye!!image

• Options
    Nice mileage Murpski, I'm 200 down on last year!

The 10k is called the New Years Day 10k and it's in a little village just outside Norwich. It's sold all 600 places and would've started the year off on the right foot. But I'm 75% sure I'm out, got worse as the day's gone on so not sure I can even see me getting a tempo run out of it. Looking at the forecast of 35mph gusts, rain and real real feel temps of 0c it might not be the worst race to miss!

Will rest up, come back and get a strong January in, in mileage, nutrition and the gym.
  • Options

thanks Monk. I think its an addiction with me!! now with the little ine in the house i get my sleep in on the run!! I have a nice easy short 4 miles tomorrow but id say ill get a wetting!! Once tomorrow hits Barcelona suddenly looms large! i have a half and a ten miler planned as warm ups for the big day.

Just relaxing now with a couple of bottles of IPA and two ronnies on tv! Oh and my little daughter on one side and the dog taking up the rest of the sofa!!

• Options
    Unlucky Monk. Sounds like a good race. Hopefully you'll be fighting fit soon! Enjoy your run tomorrow John
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Monk - welcome to the thread. Lovely to see you here. Did you definitely DNS?

Wenty wrote (see)

Good to see the thread getting a bit more interesting. Regarding the hills i presume Barcelona is a flat marathon?

I've heard it's 90%flat but there is one incline around 30ish km. I'll try to get more info from my source!

• Options

Thanks Emmy,
    Yup first ever DNS.  In truth am too ill so didn't even want to go in the end.  Comfort eating Malteasers and cookies dunked in tea instead!  There's a ten miler round here first week of February, I'll work towards that race now.

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

/members/images/742324/Gallery/profile.jpg

Morning guys.  Here's the profile Monk/Emmy  can you see it ok?  Original is :

http://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.com/files/altimetria.pdf

Also here is a link to a MAPMYRUN  upload from one of last years runners..

http://www.mapmyrun.com/es/sants-montjuic-catalonia/barcelona-marathon-route-78374264

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

Well, I kicked off the year with a 14mile run.  Intended it to be pretty sedate 9:15/9:30 min/mile but the rain made me go a little quicker so I ended up just over a fraction over 2 hours which is just a bit faster than my planned marathon pace.  According to my schedule 51 more planned sessions to go!  image

• Options

TM - that's got to be the right/sensible decision. Hope you're fully fit soon

Nice one FB - 'twas a bit damp down the Conwy Valley this morning - a lumpy 10k route for me at slightly quicker than (current) target marathon pace/effort. A good start to the year running wise - any remnants of a hangover soon went. Signed up for my 7th Snowdoniia marathon on my return, although FB had already beaten me to it (I wasn't in a fit state to sign up after midnight last night!!)

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

I see Sean has signed up too, I have booked in but I'm still planning to do Abo as my A race in the Autumn, but based on reading E mmy's exploits feel a bit better about two in 7 days now!  As it goes I have an entry for Blackpool which I think is three weeks after Barca!  Reading some of the earlier posts and was interested to read about the pacers.  I was hoping to hang on to a 3:45 as long as I could.

• Options

where i live is quite hilly so that course is flatish to me but someone from Holland might say it was hilly! Its all subjective!

• Options
    Yep. I'm in for Snowdonia again. Hopefully make a better fist of it last time after a dismal decline over Waunfawr hill last time! Looking forward to Barca though. Likely to be a little warmer?!
  • Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

All of a sudden it doesn't feel like Barcelona is very far away at all! ........ training ticking along nicely at the moment taking advantage of the extra time over xmas and new year to get out and get some good run ins - as well as the obligatory extra carbs and protein of xmas! image

Got the central Lancashire half marathon this Sunday which will hopefully put a good marker down.

The course looks nice and flat to me - with the second half being pan flat apart from the incline to the finish.... a few undulations here and there are probably a good thing.

Have worked many times in Barcelona so looking forward to this - great food and accomodation out there, I hear the support is pretty good too...... just hope its not too hot! Could easily be 20C but equally as low as 10C .... hopefully the latter image

• Options

Hmm - I am feeling guilty as not run this week so far as the weather has been dreadful, with howling winds and pouring rain and everywhere waterlogged. must get out this afternoon for a 10k at least! Starting to feel good though and I think the rest from injury may be a good thing. Course looks pretty flat to me and dont mind a few undulations here and there.

• Options

oh well time to drag myself out and run this beer off lol. Just a nice easy 8 miler. 

• Options

I'd agree with you Wenty - no-one wants to have to rest from running due to niggles/injuries but with the current weather (due to get worse later - to carry on over the weekend!?), the recent festive period and the early stages of spring marathon training now is far from being the worse time!? Hope your 10k run later goes well!

Course looks flat to me - particularly compared to the races I normally do

• Options

All this talk of monster mileage over Christmas is getting me down.  I'm still at 1 * short run (5 mile ish), 1 * ParkRun and a long run (currently up to 16-17 miles) each week.  Finding it takes too long to recover to do anymore than that.  But I am cycling/swimming on the non running days, although I've pulled a muscle in my lower back at the moment, so I suspect the long run this weekend will infact become 10 miles, tops.

• Options

That's the first 8 miles of 2014 done and dusted. And it was pretty enjoyable too! I've eat too much, drank too much, and now I just want to get fit again. Sunday's 16-miler should hopefully put me back on track.

Like many of you, I'm rather tempted by the Snowdonia bash  in October - the only problem is I've entered Berlin at the end of September. As I've only run three marathons in my life before not sure I would be up to running two within a four week period. Can't believe 1200 signed up for Snowdonia inside the first day. It does look a cracking event.

The other thought is to go for Manchester three weeks after Barcelona. Apparently Manchester if the flattest in the UK - not something you can say for Snowdonia. Can't help thinking I might be trying to run before I can walk, to coin a phrase.

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

8.25 miles this morning around Betws -Llanrwst last 3 at mp which felt okay. Rest day for me tomorrow.

I'm signed up for Blackpool three weeks after Barcelona roger dodger, which is pretty flat (I did the half last year when John Bach did the full!). I'm going to see how I feel a week or so after Barcelona, I know after Edinburgh I felt okay but took a while longer after Abingdon.