Options

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

emmy - Strange but we have just been talking about this on a sub 3 hour marathon forum and we were all saying that our training times were so much slower than what race pace and plans expect.

Personally I cant come close to race pace (circa 6:10 min miles) and run most training runs at 7:50 min miles - big difference.

If i could or did i would be injured permenantly i think!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wenty - One thing that i took from the P&D training was miles at MP and doing the warm ups/cool down miles. Since I've been doing the longer stuff - i find that it takes me 7-8 miles to get warmed up into a pace but once i'm there - i'm pretty stable. Which is why i think running on feel works for me.

According to VDOT my marathon pace is around 8.16mm and I do manage to hit that most MP runs but I'm normally reaching my threshold pace (7.59) towards the end of the run as well.

• Options

my race pace i talk about is my 10k time. MP is more like 7 mm but in trianing 7:30 - 7:50 will be as good as i get.

I need a stick i guess to keep beating me with! I think you have to use feel more than trying to hit schedule times.

Anyway with running a marathon nearly every week you must be permenantly running at MP. image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Here you go Wenty

/members/images/334358/Gallery/untitled.png

Nah, I will use marathons as LSRs so there may be 10-15 miles at MP but the rest will be slower. It also depends on the race and the day. The next few marathons i'll be running a large part with my dog and his happiness is my main aim. So we will be stopping for water stops/poo breaks etc. This means normally a slightly slower time but i'm happier for it.

/members/images/334358/Gallery/Saxon_Shore.jpg

• Options

I think the recommendation of trying to do a chunk of your medium and even longer runs at race pace is a good idea to get your systems operating at that level..... So for example 3 of 9 miles boost effective to go from 5-8 at race pace for example. Then gradually building more race pace into things - means you are much more used to the pace psychologically and physically.

Emmy no need to measure the VO2 max sessions you just give them your all and should be in a fair amount of pain by the end! image

wenty sounds like we have similar targets - you gotta believe its possible! Lets me more American about this! Whoop / Holler

i'm going to try and do a couple of HMs in jan and feb and feel that a sub 1:25 is needed to enable a sub 3 marathon..... Current PB 1:28...... 10k PB 38:02.... But I'm better over the shorter distances for sure at mo!image 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Banksy - i'm the opposite. it's a goal of mine to try and get new 5/10km pb's in 2015 as they're quite soft and I think that there could be room to reduce it by a few minutes.

• Options

Banksy - your pbs are the same of mint to the minute!

Thanks for the Stick Ems!

• Options

I know this race is a few months away yet and I shouldn't start panicking but I seem to have deleted my confirmation e-mail from the event organisers. I'm sure I received one. I registered a few weeks ago - the money has gone out of my bank - and I've checked on their website that I'm in the entry of runners, which I am. But I've read somewhere that you need to provide the letter of confirmation to pick up your bib number and chip on the day before the race. Any suggestions please and have you all received a letter of confirmation? cheers

• Options

As a race organiser myself Roger - I know that many people do not bring heir confirmation emails etc, and often they end up in junk folders so you will be fine with a piece of ID. If you want to make doubly sure i'd drop the organsiers an email to request a resend of your confirmation.

Intended to go out for a 10 miler today... the planned route was a little longer than expected and ended up being a half marathon! Oops .... bit of swimming tomorrow for general strength and weight off them legs I think image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Roger - I'd also take a screenshot of the confirmation that you're on the entry list (with your number) and some ID. I've done that before - have you checked your junk box? that's where i've found a few.

Banksy - any ill effects from the additional mileage? What sort of swimming do you do? Any specific exercises/water jogging? or just a nice gentle recovery?

• Options

Roger, Don't panic. They send you another e-mail a few weeks before the start date, this is the one that you should take with you.

• Options

Emmy - no ill affects ... just a little bit less supple than usual! image

Water Jogging is the race walking of the swimming world .... you would only do it if no one was watching image

Just some easy swimming - only 1000m .... have done some tris in the past so find that it compelments things well. The Sauna is a good place to do a bit of stretching too.

What sort of pace do you guys do your long runs at out of interest?

• Options

I find it difficult to complete my long runs at a constant pace, I love running over the hills, so tend to find my pace changes as the hills get steeper, although I do try and keep a steady level of effort.

• Options

Thanks for your advice folks. I did e-mail the organisers and they re-sent me a confirmation within a couple of hours. Very impressed. I'll try not to lose this one!!

Anyone on here running the Portsmouth marathon next weekend? I am and I'm starting to regret it. Apparently it's only 40 per cent on tarmac, the rest on flaming shingle and muddy tracks - and that's not to mention the winds which look like being gale force. To say I didn't do my homework would be an understatement.

I like a challenge but I might decide to go shopping with the other half instead - or better still the pub. Shame it's 140 miles from home

• Options

last time I was on here it was about 3 pages.....wow.....  I've been quiet, I've been losing body fat and dieting....so hoping that the schedule, starts next Sunday...will go okay and I can knock some time off my runs.  Already a good minute quicker on my 5k's, so it seems to be working on that distance.  I managed 35 secs of a 15k last Sunday, so was chuffed with that too. 

About to book somewhere for Barca.......getting very excited, but not sure if that's for the marathon or the footy....eek

Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy Fit New Year to you all

• Options

25km tom morning ... 500m vert - on the trails.... should keep things interesting...

Roger - maybe do it if you think you are up to it, but use it as a training run and enjoy it. I was surprised last year how enjoyable entering races was, but scaling it back to 80% or so, it can be very enjoyable - especially if you ramp it up towards the end and start passing loads of ppl image

Whats the score with the footy Onetit are tickets still on sale?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    roger dodger2 wrote (see)

Anyone on here running the Portsmouth marathon next weekend? I am and I'm starting to regret it. Apparently it's only 40 per cent on tarmac, the rest on flaming shingle and muddy tracks - and that's not to mention the winds which look like being gale force. To say I didn't do my homework would be an understatement.

I've had friends run it last year and A LOT of my friends are doing it this year so i'm a little jealous image

The route isnt that inspiring but the shingle/mud isnt too bad as long as it doesnt rain too much. It's not really a PB course but it will have a great medal! Unfortunately for pompey - you'll always have those winds.

• Options

Thanks Emmy. Sod it then, I'll go for the medal. I watched a bit of the Great South Run on the box a few weeks back and the runners could barely stand up because the winds were so fierce. I suppose I can then overdue the Christmas festivities big-time with a clear conscience before getting back in Barcelona training mode.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hiya Roger, last year a few friends said that as it had rained quite a bit the week before they struggled with the mud but if it's dry then it should be fine. I know that being on the seafront can be a struggle.

There'll be a lot of comradery amongst the runners. The medal is bespoke and from what ive heard - specially commisioned for this race. Kinda sad I cant add it to my listimage

• Options

Roger, I am in for Portsmouth marathon next weekend, but pulled a calf muscle this weekend, Its only mild but cant run at all at present and slight pain to walk.

I will take the week off running (not that i have a choice as i cant run at present) and heat, foam roller etc and try a test run on friday. Not looking good for me though! This will be the first time I have bailed on a marathon image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wenty - Sorry to hear about your injury image wise idea to rest a little and come back stronger

Update from a friend RE: Portsmouth:  There is a fiar bit of trail, bits of beach etc. but there is some real fast flat stuff too, especially right at the start.

• Options

I didn't think you knew the word Rest Emmy!

no choice but rest image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Pot calling kettle, Wentyimage

• Options

Hi there, re Footy....

I sent the link to my hubby in the hope he buys tickets for my Christmas present - ever hopeful.  But if not, will check it out when we get there - I am sure we will get in?!!  Now I see they are playing Man C in the CL, and the return leg is in Barca, so might extend the stay there, if it's the week after the Mara - so excited....

Running is going well, losing weight, which is helping heaps. Bought some compression socks today, dead sexy!! 

Schedule starts on Sunday, and then we're off to UK, so it will be two days of cross training at my inlaws.  Jolly good. 

• Options

Emmy - I'm a couch potato compared to you!image

You have done more marathons this year than i will do in a lifetime!

• Options

OneTit, just for info, the Man City game is on the 12th March.  (they had to decide between 11/12th and 18/19th March).  So you'd be going early to catch the game. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25389927)

Actually I am delighted the City game is the 12th, if it was the 18th or 19th you would bet they'd move the Osasuna game from the 16th (Marathon day) to the day before.  I'd quite like to watch Barca as my reward for doing the Marathon and now this should be fairly certain - can't imagine Spanish authorities having Barca play Man City on 12th March then making them play Osasuna on 15th March

If you want to get tickets for Osasuna, just go on Official website http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football they are selling out fast, I bought mine about a month ago and it was quite difficult to get 2 seats together

Since this is a running, not a football thread ...

My training is going okay, I am adding 1 mile per week to my long run (up to 16 miles now), with 2 shorter runs (3-6 miles) each week and a strength session.  I am finding the long runs really tough at the moment though (had to do walk/run for the last 2 miles this week).  Hopefully this is just a phase and I can power through ...

• Options

Wenty - hope the rest/rollering does the trick - fingers crossed for your test run Friday.

Emmy - hope you manage to get a MT hoody!

I've been doing lots of fairly easy base mileage since the Snowdonia Marathon, although I got a call up to run the Welsh inter counties event last Saturday which was a bit of a shock to the system having done relatively little speedy stuff since February! 12 week countdown/"plan" starts next Monday!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

John - are you a MTalker supergrouper? or how did you know I was looking for one? image

Wenty - not at all! image It's all relative.

How are we all getting on? Is there anyone planning to go out over christmas?

• Options

Go out to get wrecked, Emmy? Or go out for a run?

Portsmouth Coastal Sunday followed by crate loads of beer Sunday night in Southsea.

Ridiculously preposterous amounts of Christmas food and drink Wednesday because I will have a clear conscience.

Short run of about five miles Boxing Day morning before watching my beloved Tamworth spank Nuneaton in the Conference - and then a few more beers.

Serious Barcelona training won't start until the New Year.

• Options

lol Emmy - I am indeed (I'll send a friend request!) - I've listened to MT from the start. My clubmate, Martin Green (who appears from time to time on this thread) was the jammy git who won the big 2014 London marathon prize (+ a t-shirt in the last comp!!) 

lol roger - your Xmas plans sound similar to mine (apart from the football - I'm a lifelong Blackpool FC fan!). I'll probably go for a few runs Christmas week and will probably do a 15+miler either on the 28th or 29th