Options

Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Unbelievable that they got the hurdles wrong, I'm guessing they missed out the last one or their stride would have been disrupted. How nobody noticed sooner, including the athletes, is beyond me. Also surprised there weren't more booing Dwain Chambers, I was and only a few others.
  • Options

Right I have just entered Chester. Put me down as sub 3:25. My PB is 3:32 but confident now of breaking this. Going for this should at least get me under 3:30 if i fail on sub 3:25. I may change this as currently training for adidas thunder solo so this may help my marathon pacing - who knows

• Options

Paul are you stalking meimage Stratford 2011, London 2012, Thunder run July 2012 and now Chester!!!!!   Congratulations by the way on your new arrival.

Shall I do a 16 week programme or 20 week decisions......

• Options
    Ha ha didn't see you had entered Gazelle. Did the Chester half a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed it.
  • Options

right .. one 16 week Chester Marathon 2012 training plan duly created, now all I have to do is follow the bloomin' thing !! imageimage

Decided on a 16 week, so doesn't start till June 18 (if my math is correct that is), so now still got 2 - 3 weeks of maintenance running left, starting in about 10 minutes with a somewhat hilly 10 miler (remind me to look up the word maintenance when I get back image )

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

12 week plan for meimage

• Options
    16 week plan for me too and if this weather keeps up it will all be done at 6am. Haha
  • Options

best time to run, and surprsingly popular. I see lots of runners out at that time.

• Options

Decided on a 16 week plan also, I'm loving running in the heat, everyone thinks I'm mad but it's so much better than the dark, rain and wind that a spring marathon has you doing!

• Options
    Totally agree gazelle take these days anytime over the freezing January / February runs.
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

just did Sheffield half today   in blazing heat   but flew round the course  getting 1h31   over 7000 runners   one was steve Davis the snooker player    shame that city does not still have the full marathon

• Options

Decided to bite the bullet and enter.  After getting injured twice trying to do Spring marathons am hoping my luck will be better trying an autumn. Have run Leeds, Sheffield Halves along with the Gt Manc Run and a couple of fell races this month, so looks like I'm over the worst. 

Realy love the reviews that this got last year (and Tony Audenshaw's outstanding review of it on Marathon Talk) 1st marathon so, would love to get 3.45, but would settle for sub 4 (or simply getting to the start line not injured.  Can't wait to start the LSR when its not pitch dark and freezing.  Look forward to the banter on here in the next couple of months

• Options

For those of us following the P&D 18 week plans training for Chester marathon starts on Tuesday.image

• Options

Just entered this today.  I was initially thinking about a trail marathon in Lancashire on the same day, but running has been going well recently and got me thinking that maybe instead of staggering over muddy hills for 4 hours, I might go for a flattish road course and see if I can get under 3.10. Would be good to link up with some RW forumites as I will probably be solo on the day (live overseas, can't see the family coming back for this one).  

• Options

maintenance of 7 miles tomorrow

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening allimage Sorry i haven't been on for a while- internet issues, which hopefully are now sortedimage. Not much running from me cos of a lingering cold/ chest thing- had my first jog today in a week and it felt like I'd never run beforeimage

• Options

Jason, tell me in a nutshell what you did to get from 3.13 to sub-3?  That's a hell of a leap.  Was 3.13 your first marathon?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

GK- My first was Snowdonia in Oct 2009- (10 months after I started running imageimage) in 3.37, Llanelli in Apri 2010 in 3.14, back to Snowdon in Oct 2010 in 3.36 (suffering from a bug and died after 8mimage), London in April 2011 in 3.13, then Chester in October with the 2.56. To be honest, I was disappointed with the London time as my training was all over the place and I wilted in the heat. Think the real difference was managing to keep to a plan- and run over 300m per month for the 5 months before the race, peaking at 450 in August....  

• Options

Thanks, much appreciated.  That is some serious mileage!  Not an option for me, I don't think, because where I live is incredibly hot/humid and running outdoors for long periods is so draining; I'm trying instead to concentrate on quality with plenty of tempo work on the treadmill and building up my LSRs very gradually.  But your post will inspire me to raise my game a little.  To be honest I would be delighted with any time that started 3.0x.  

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

GK- good luck with it, but you will need some volume and LRs are the bedrock of training for what is, after all, a long runimage- can you train after dark when it's cooler?

• Options

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer.  I will certainly plan to get up to 20 mile LSRs eventually (which will probably be Time On Feet equivalent of 22/23 miles in UK temperatures).  Wouldn't dare to run a marathon without that in the tank!  It's just that your sort of overall mileage would be almost impossible for me because of the difficulty of doing the necessary mid-length runs (say an easy 12 miler) during the week.  It gets dark no later than 7 in the tropics, and you don't want to be running here after that - apart from crime, no streetlights and uneven pavements make a lethal combination for knees/ankles!  And anything over about 10 miles on the treadmill would drive me nuts.  Anyway, let's see.  My current marathon best is 3.14 so you can understand why your post caught my eye!    

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

GK- There's always a headtorch. Won't help with the crime issue thoughimage Seriously, best of luck with it. What brings you over to Chester? Apart from the fact it's a great race, obviouslyimage

• Options

I'm from Lancashire originally (oh, Lancy Lancy), so I can make a weekend of it and see some old friends if I do a race up in the north west.  And early October is best from a work point of view, while leaving enough time between now and then to train.  So a flattish PB-able course with rave reviews in scenic Cheshire seemed like just the ticket.  I still might end up doing the trail marathon which is close to my old home, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Chester.  

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

did Buxton half today   and the weather was not very kind today    but got a PB of 1h33    coming 22 out of 146     was freezing and shivering when got home   even though I had long sleve top on in race   which just happened to be the one I got at Chester last year   and glovesimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

compo- excellent result and great to get a PB in those conditions!! Well done, mate- sounds like plenty more to come on a good dayimage

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

5 mins faster then last year todayimage

• Options

i am going to have to defer or sell my place as have broken my ankle, absolutely guttedimage can't believe no running for 2 months .... well done compo, good effort in today's conditions, i belive you ran gtr manchester marathon with me in similar conditions.... image

• Options

Well done Compo, I was out for a 6 mile jog today and that was quite enough for me in that weather! Brought back images (nightmares?) of Manchester marathon for me.

Shame Deli, hopefully you can find a marathon later on in the Autumn. Best of luck with the recovery.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage The sun is shining!image

Deli- gutted for you- hope you recover swiftlyimage

GK- Got to be Chesterimage

5m early recovery run for me today. Another short slow one laterimage

• Options

I did Buxton yesterday and the weather was very similar to Manchester marathon - wet and windy, but not quite as cold, although the hills made up for that.

Didn't manage a pb, but was glad I started, there were a lot who pulled out, which is a shame for the organisers.