Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options
    Loving all the race reports,great to see some amazing PBs and truly inspirational stories.

Congratulations Mr sj on the new job.

I saw quite a few incidents on Sunday of collisions caused by people with iPods,trying to change music and not look where they were going.One was a guy dressed as the hulk who had removed his big fslse hands and crouched at the side of the road to fasten his lace.A headphone wearing bloke ploughed straight into him knocking the hulk over.A few choice words were exchanged before the headphone man ran off.It did make me chuckle when the hulk stood up and put his big false hands back on then ran after him shouting Dont make me angry.

Hope all your sore legs ease off soon.
  • Options
    Just heard todays news.

Heart goes out to the families friends and colleagues of the two brave police officers murdered on duty today,truly tragic news.
  • Options

Really shocked to hear the tragic news of the two police officers.  Thoughts go out to all their families, friends and colleagues.

Brilliant PBs from so many of the regular forumites.  Who says the GNR course is not a PB course?  Well done to Mr SJ, Shielsy, Fiona and RLTW and anyone else that achieved a PB or your own personal goal. image

Well done to Mr SJ on getting the job.  Really pleased for you.

Mandie,  I found one that you and Steve are in....  All of Steve's head but just your right side!  I found the ones of Steve and then looked for photos of the lady (No.20735) and there you both are!

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa Great North Run&photo=AAAL2109&match=20735

• Options

CC2 you must have been running SO fast they couldn't focus on you image. There are none of me either! 

MrSJ, brilliant news, congratulations. It's been a good couple of days for you hasn't it. image

There are some lovely race reports here, shows what a special event this is and why people keep coming back year after year. .

• Options

Thank you again everyone - too many people to say individual thank you's but i mean it to you all! image

Well done Mr SJ!

Mandie R - Typical that you have no photos and wanted some. I didnt really want to be in any but seem to have about 10! ... All of when i stopped for a bit as i was having alot of bother about 10 mile in with my quads. Looks like i didnt even run the race haha image 

... however heres my finishing one, since i havent got round to putting a profile photo up yet! image Looking very tired and determined to get to the end! http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa%20Great%20North%20Run&photo=AACX2838&match=55462   

• Options

Hi all.

Really busy at the moment, getting ready to go back to work. My cars been fixed and it was £5 cheaper than the quote, so £745 is a bit of a bargain...not.
    I'll catch up with posts tomorrow night.

My race report and blog is here. Not anywhere near as good as the ones i've read over the past few days mind.

ta-ra all. image

• Options
    Great photos shielsey and newbieabbey !!

Theres quite a few of me and ven a very faint smile creeping across my face on this one -

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa Great North Run&photo=AABA0495&bib=6092

Im just about to finish and stop the garmin and knew i was getting a massive pb !

Stringy - thats a bargain ! Im almost tempted to have a new tubo fitted to my car for that kind of price !
  • Options

Wow - the great news just keeps on coming.

Massive congratulations mr sj, and all the best in your new job. When do you start?

Some great photos, terrific shots of you Shielsy. You'll have to have at least one of those as a great souvenir of a fantastic day.

• Options

Everyone has great photos!

This is my best one:

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa%20Great%20North%20Run&photo=AABC1207&bib=32298

Congratulations mr sj on getting the job! image (More money for running clobber).

Nice one Stringy on saving a fiver! :S Safe journey back to work.

Sad news about those two police officers image

• Options
    Xl - if paperwork can be sorted then i'll be starting on monday !!! If not, it will be a week monday
  • Options

Working hard there, Vixx.

That's terrific, mr sj - will you have to bake your own cake to celebrate ?

• Options

Hi everyone.. i briefly popped in the old thread asking for travelling advice which i got thank you. Had an amazing day and PB of 6 minutes on my last race half but only 2 minutes on my last training run image I made the fatal mistake of trying to get past people too much and my legs were done about mile 6... oops! but i finished as the arrows went over which was the highlight of my day. I said straight away i wouldn't do it again (too many people for me ) but watching it last night i have of course signed up for the reminder service.

Congrats on everyones run/news image

• Options

Ran my 1st GNR this year, absolutely loved it!

I started running back in april (could barely manage to run 1.5 miles) after giving up the cancer sticks. I ran in the Great North 10k in July so then signed up to do the 5k on the saturday before the GNR. In training I had only ever ran more than 7 miles twice as I did not expect to be running the GNR this year however on wednesday I was offered a place in this years race so decided to give it a go and see what it was like!

I got to half way ok but then it all started to get very hard going! I had to walk on a few occasions as my legs were in agony, I have never experienced anything like it before!! Even going into the last mile I was completely drained, my legs refused to work despite the crowds willing me on!

When I first told friends and family that I was going to run it they all said that I couldn't do it, I wasn't ready for it etc. It wasn't the best support in the world but it just made me want to prove them all wrong!

Before the event I said to myself that just finishing the race would be an achievement and it was really just to get an idea of the course for the future etc, but anything under 2:30 would be nice.   

I eventually came through in 2:24 feeling extremely emotional! I did it!! I proved them all wrong!!!

I had to text family to tell them I had finished, if i had rang them I would just started crying my eyes out in front of thousands of people!

What a day!!! 

• Options

Great story, F1nch - I hope your family have been a bit more positive for you, now that you've shown them what you're made of.

Congratulations, Carrie.Remember, you don't train with 40,000 friends; there i sno 'only' about taking two minutes of your training time.

• Options

image thanks. i still can't get over the volume of people... you hear the number but its hard to visualise it but when i did..blimey i think my jaw hit the pavement. And then watching it last night and an hour in the helicopter did the sweep back to the start and the whole route was just a mass of people from start to finish... incredible!!

• Options

Nice one F1inch and Carrie. Everybody on here runs at a different pace.  Some fast some not so fast (me). Its the fact that we have acheived something fantastic that matters and hopefully enjoyed the day(s) as well.

• Options

Mr sj - great news about the job, congratulations!  Those lucky kids image.

I was aghast that you actually seem to be almost smiling on some of your race photos, blimey image

Great blog, as ever Stringy.  But I would have picked up the tenner, myself  image

• Options

Here goes my usual once a year sortie from lurker to contributor on the best RW forum there is. Race report for GNR #7. Hope it’s not too gushing...

Having done only half the training miles of the previous year and with a right knee niggle, I wasn’t expecting anything special in terms of times, but still prepared my nutrition carefully with a Chinese take-away the night before (plenty of carbs in the noodles!), waking up with a raging thirst at 4am. Wholemeal pancakes for brekkie got me right again and down to the start for 9.00 to take in the atmosphere, banana and energy drink in hand. Met a few friends, arranged to meet up at the end, wished each other luck, the last trip to the toilet and then bag on the bus in plenty of time. My usual lip tremble at Abide With Me turned into a full blown sob as my mum, dad and father-in-law have all passed away since the last GNR. Plenty of stretching (another thing that staves off cramp) before getting into pen B at my usual spot. Loudspeakers weren’t working properly there, so didn’t really get into the mass warm-up. A bit of banter with my neighbours, the Red Arrows fly-by, the surge forward and then the gun. Under the start after a minute, great to see Ellie and Kat (local lass) on my side. Felt a bit more crowded than previous years, but free running room by the underpasses and loads of shouts of encouragement from the hardy spectators. Felt good, really good. The drizzle and slight tailwind creating perfect running conditions. Times well under expectation. Had I gone off too fast for my condition? 5k in a tad over 20 minutes. Mile 5 hill not a problem. 10k in 41 minutes. Heading for sub 1.25 and a good PB as long as I could hold on for the second half.

Still going well at mile 8. Then took evasive action to avoid a stray Powerade bottle and felt a pain in my left calf. Not too bad at first, but grew quickly. By the mile 9 water station it was like someone was birching my leg with every step and my mile splits increased by 20-30 seconds. Grabbed a water bottle from Tanni and asked for a bit of help from above. It came in the guise of the BUPA boost zone. A great track playing – don’t know the name – got me mentally right again. Miles 11 and 12 were a bit of a blur. I was just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other. It turned out to be quite a good tactic as I didn’t notice the inclines or the long stretches where the GNR devils normally lie in wait. The downhill bit was agony, a bit slippy as well, but then left onto the coast. Another mental trick  - the last mile does not start until the 800 mtr banner. Ignore the fact that you’re on the home straight ‘cos it’s a bloody long one. Wait for the 800 metre banner before winding it up. Not that I could do that anyway, but I kept going. Frustrating because I am normally a strong finisher. Finished in 1.27.50, only 44 seconds outside my PB. Very happy at the time considering and started planning next year for a sub 1.25 with a ramped-up training mileage and intensity as I walked down to the BUPA tent for a free massage and maybe just a little tear to myself. Finishing one of these things well is still a big deal, even to a veteran runner like me.

Received a load of texts saying that I was on telly for a good 10 seconds going down the finishing straight. Fame at last. Once again, the GNR lived up to its reputation. Still the best race in the calendar. Great crowds. Great organisation. Great finish. Great coverage. Great atmosphere. Great North Run.

• Options
    Just catching up on the thread - some really great photos this year! You all look really relaxed too. I always look half dead!

Many congrats on the new job mr sj. Great news. I have lost my smileys, but am wearing a party hat for you, promise!

Thanks to RLTW, XL-man and Mandie R for the birthday wishes. Love the fact that it almost always ties in with the GNR weekend. Just a shame that this year the lurgy got me.....

Fiona J - have done a few park runs in town and have done the Whitley Bay course a few times, but not on a sat. Am trying to convince Fuddle jnr that getting up early on a Sat will be well rewarded with a hot choc. Think I have almost convinced her.

Hope everyone is loosening up a bit now, and hope your bruise eases off soon Shielsy, it sounds extremely painful.

Wow that was long! Sorry image (man made smiley!)
  • Options

Great report, Narrow Feet; not too gushing at all. We love the genuine feeling that comes through on all the reports. Any chance we'll see your next post before September 2013 ? image

I saw that helicopter sweep on the live broadcast, Carrie; truly remarkable. It was a shame they stopped filming at the Tyne Bridge and could not go all the way back to the start - I presume for Air Traffic reasons.

I will be volunteering on Gate #1 or #2 on the  moor on Saturday 29th, MF - so do say "hello".

• Options

Found some pictures myself, with a pb gone I enjoyed running a fast last mile and managed a smile & a mobot at the end, just love this event even when it doesnt go to plan..  http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa%20Great%20North%20Run&photo=AAAB1626&bib=17385

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa%20Great%20North%20Run&photo=AABJ0324&bib=17385

Legs still aching and found some potassium tablets that may have stave off cramp in future plus I'll be doing more hill training next year. Great to see all the 1st timers signing up again, it really is addictive and helped by the wonderful people of the North-east

• Options

First post GNR recovery run tonight and legs have recovered already - had to hold myself back to recovery pace - happy days

• Options
    Shielsey - it was a slight smirk as on one hand i knew i was about to stop running and on the other i knew i had a massive new pb on the cards !

Narrow feet - brilliant rce report and fantatic time, well one !

Think i may pop along o whitley parkrun on sat for a leg stretcher, quads are a little tender today but not too bad, 3 weeks to get ready or kielder offoad duthlon !
  • Options

Another longtime lurker winkled out of anonymity by this fab event.  Great experience again (3rd time)  -  it even gets my hard bitten husband dewy eyed when the Red Arrows go over and I got a course pb which I was well pleased with considering I accidentally knocked my watch off at mile 7 so had no real idea how I was doing!  Only 2.16 but I only took up running 4 years ago to mark my 50th birthday so there's still time to improve!

We've done the sensible thing this year and already booked our hotel for 2013 and made sure we get the right date this time.  Unlike this year when we turned up last Friday night to be congratulated by the lovely check in girl for getting such a great rate when they' were totally sold out at around £400 a night, just before she realised that it was for next weekend.....

'Are yous doin the run?' in that wonderful accent.  'That was the plan'.  'Ah never mind, we'll get yous sorted' .  And she did and found us what I think must have been the last twin room within a 100 mile radius for the two nights, right in the city centre.

Seen my photos and I look exactly as dreadful as I thought!

• Options

Me too Lilytoo.  but we had just run an awul long way!  Welcome.

• Options

That's the comforting thing and I haven't stopped smiling since Sunday either!  Thank you image

• Options

One of my favourite running songs is 'Ever Fallen In Love' by The Buzzcocks and sitting on the floor of the big tent listening to the band playing it and eating hot pork cob and dribbling gravy all down my happy chin will be a memory that will keep me going through the cold peak district winter training months and remind me why it's all worth it.

• Options

Hahaha just found this one of me

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/GRUK/2012/Bupa%20Great%20North%20Run&photo=AABO1144&match=38779

I'd run the last mile with the Scottish chap in the hat. Never met him before, but he was running at the same speed as me and he was lovely. We kept chatting to keep each other going. As we got to the finish area, they opened up another funnel, so with no one in front of us, we just decided to sprint for it like we were about to win the race lol........nearly killed me image