Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Wow - there is some absolutely amazing mileage flying around at the moment, I'm totally in awe of you all for getting out in this weather.

I could have gone out for a little bimble this afternoon (early dart from work) but the thought of stripping off and putting on my running gear completely put me off. There is no way I can face it in a gale force arctic hurricane!!

• Options
    Bear - no I'm doing VLM. Only 1 more week than taper time.

Mandie - if I was nearing the end of marathon training I think I might have passed too.
  • Options

Lightning Run was postponed Fiona - date to be rearranged.

I'm doing Manchester Bearsted image (after VLM).

I've just been for another 5 in the now - lovely evening too image

Hi Mandie. I have the best jumper for running in, and as soon as I take it off to put it in wash I shall find out what it is so you can get one. I have that and a t-shirt on my upper body and haven't felt cold or sweaty at all image

• Options
    Mandie R wrote (see)

Wow - there is some absolutely amazing mileage flying around at the moment, I'm totally in awe of you all for getting out in this weather.

The problem is Mandy that the marathon waits for no man (or woman!) image.  The banbury 15 was cancelled at 7.30am today, so having seen that on thier website, i returned to bed for a bit more shuteye.  Then i did my 20miler which went well at marathon pace.  I did have to stop to thaw out my nose a few times- I should have worn my buff.

Vixx- sorry to see that the Lightning run was cancelled- better not be snowing for the Thunder Run...

• Options
    Wouldnt surprise me if it was shadowfax ! I dont think this weather is ever going to change.
  • Options

I wouldn't be surprised to see snow at VLM..... image

• Options
    Vixx - don't say that. image
  • Options

Fiona - of course now I have said it, it is of course unlikely to happen. The kiss of death maybe.... 

Mandie - I had a look at my jumper, which has no tags on it oddly enough - all I can make out is the name Crane. It's a fleece inside, shiny outside running top that I was bought pre-transition. It's a bit clingy but I wear a t-shirt over the top coz I feel a bit exposed if you know what I mean. Have had a look on eBay and can't find the exact top, but there are lots of ladies tops that are made by Crane and about a tenner. The material is good enough that it's lightweight and doesn't stifle you and yet you don't feel the cold at all.

Evening mr sj image

• Options
    My God it was fresh out there today! I ended up along the Fish Quay and up the dreaded Tynemouth Sailing club hill. Hope this wind goes before Sunday as it was rather unpleasant along there today. Talk about running to standstill! Has taken a couple of hours, tea and very hot shower for my fingers to finally thaw out.
  • Options
    I ran along that way yesterday muckers and it was horrible, trying to getup that hill into a headwind was no fun !
  • Options
    Yep, all in all v unpleasant, Mr SJ!
  • Options
    Is anyone doing a 20 mile run around North East at weekend as I have to come up for a few days as my mum is in hospital.
  • Options
    Old Shadowfax wrote (see)

Vixx- sorry to see that the Lightning run was cancelled- better not be snowing for the Thunder Run...

OS - Please don't say that!! I'm not very experienced at this camping malarky as it is. I'm dreading a year of bad weather at TR in case it completely spoils what is a fantastic event.

Vixx - I'm pretty sure Crane are sold in Aldi. They sell some amazing kit don't they? I;ve got a thick fleecy top that I bought when I first started running in the early 2000's. It comes right down over my bum and it has thumb holes so you can pull the sleeves right down and its been washed and washed and never gone all bobbly. Its because of that top that I very rarely but from anywhere else these days. (I think it only cost a tenner too!)

• Options

Sorry to hear about your Mum BP. Hope she is ok.

• Options
    Hopefully but it is not looking good at moment
  • Options
    Hope she's ok bearsted. Most of us on here will be doing north tneside 10k on sunday morning
  • Options

I'm doing 22 on Sunday, including the North Tyneside 10k. At least, I hope I am. I am still full of cold. 

• Options
    Bear - I'll be doing a 22 miler very early on Friday morning ie about 7 am cos I'm going away at lunchtime. Hope things are ok with your mum.
  • Options
    Where you going for your run Fiona
  • Options

Sorry to hear about your Mom Bearsted image

Mandie - I stopped wearing the top initially because the lycra was making me look like a very oddly shaped sausage but with a t-shirt over the top I don't feel so odd. image  They are good products though! image

Hope you feel better soon CC2!

Where are you away to Fiona?

Hi mr sj image

I wonder if Stringy got the parcel I sent him yet.....

• Options
    Having to try and remember run routes from 30 years ago to do this week when I am up in Stockton. I think I can remember a route I used for my training in 1981 for the first GNR.
  • Options
    Bear - sorry only just got back on the forum. Most likely I will do a mind numbing run from Benton to the town moor then 3 laps of the Marathon route round there and then home.

Vixx - my sister gave us a voucher for some hotel in Yorkshire somewhere and this weekend was the only time they had availability which was handy so I don't need to take any days off to go. image
  • Options

Have a good time then Fiona image

How's your Mom doing Bearsted?

• Options

Morning everyone

Bearsted - I hope your mum is doing better.

CC2 - look after that cold and don't be tempted to get out for a few miles too soon and set yourself back.

Really busy at the moment in work and home, but getting out more for my runs now which is finally starting to help my fitness. I did 4 miles with the club last night without the need for any walking and my knee didn't give me as much trouble as it has of late. Off to the doctors tomorow to try and get it looked at properly though.

• Options

lfc - sounds bit better news on your knee here's hoping

On my way up to Stockton today will go and see my mam this afternoon and try and speak to doctors as it seems they are not surre what is fully wrong yet and what the growth is that is causing the obstruction.

Thanks for all the concern it is much appreciated. I may be getting a bit paranoid but my father died 18 years ago from cancer and that was only 2 months after going into hospital and being diagnosed. Stupid thing about that was he was a hospital chaplain and had known within himself that he had a problem with his prostate but told no one and waited until he retired to go and get it seen to by which time it had spread.

• Options
    Just a post to get the thread back where I can see t instead of having t trawl pages. Still trying to come up with a route for my 20miler tomorrow but.think I might be there now.
  • Options

How is your Mom Bearsted?

• Options
    Just heard this morning - but further info difficult to find out - that she is to be operated on. They did not want to do this as she has a lung issue which might cause issues with surgery. I will know more later today as they can't tell me when the operation is even. I dispare with NHS hospitals they seem to big to be able to coordinate anything