Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Had a few days off after my last LSR on Saturday (been away with work) but back to it tonight with an interval session (not too quick) and then a slower 7 miler tomorrow and a 5 mile tempo on Friday 16 miler at weekend. Will see what next week brings - tend to leave last 2 weeks before a marathon to how I feel.

CC2 great news on Edinburgh - now they have got finish sorted out it is a great race and great support.

Shielsy - be careful and you will get to Sunderland start and finish in OK shape.

• Options

Well, I know I'll never be in the same league for name-dropping as some of our regulars here, image, but I started my day, along with a handful of other parkrunners, with a 5k jog around the town moor with an Olympic silver medallist.

Sonia O'Sullivan; what a lovely lady. She had run the Newcastle NSW parkrun last Saturday and wanted to do the double. Great way to start the day.

Shielsy; take it easy and look after yourself. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly in London. You don't want to risk anything unnecessarily at this late stage.

Great news that you've got in for Edinburgh, CC2. I hope you can recover fully enough to give it a really good go.

Well done on your run, Fiona. Ran at the regular parkrun time this morning, and it wasn't too bad for running. Would still be nice to see a bit of sunshine, though.

Sounds like you're in good shape, BP.

Blimey, Bob - sub 30s a length over 3 miles ! Mighty impressive. I think I would need a foam roller to keep me afloat if I tried that (and an outboard motor) image

I do have a foam roller, but can't remember when I last used it.

Hi Mandie, Hi Vixx image

• Options

XL - that sounds like a great start to your Wednesday. Sadly by parkrun time I was in full swing at clinic. image

Supposed to have 3x1 mile intervals tonight, but I have a bit of a snuffly nose and seeing as I'm tapering I might just do something else instead

• Options

Evening all.

XL - did Sonia O'Sullivan race the 5k or was she just taking it easy?  How many were there?  Did you get photos?  Did she remember her barcode?

Oh, and once again:  I'm doing Sunderland, not London (I wish I was doing London though!)

Fiona - thanks for the foam roller info.  It was my afternoon off today so I duly hot-footed it to Start Fitness once I left work and bought one for a tenner (though I was very tempted to get one of those knobbly ones called The Beast  image )  Now I need advice on when and how to use it.  Are there any Youtube videos showing the best methods?  Do you do it straight after a run or wait until you're showered and rested?  How often etc?

I also bought a running bra (I've already got loads) just because it was navy and yellow ... my club colours - very expensive at £37 but it co-ordinates lovely with my running vest image.

Just back from an 8 miler - it looked pretty nice but it was actually still rather cold out (I can't remember the last time I just wore a t-shirt to run).  Planned on sticking to a nice steady 9.30m/m pace, but did my first mile in 9.14 which felt fine, and the more effort I made to slow down, the faster I seemed to get *shrugs*.  

• Options
    Shielsy - I am remembering you're doing Sunderland .

There is a video on this site showing how to use a foam roller done by the asics physio so try in with the asics marathon stuff.

I have the beast - ouch although I don't know if its anymore ouch than the ordinary kind. I also have that bra. In fact I have loads of them in just about every colour combination going.
  • Options

Fiona - thanks, I'll take a look for that video.

I've stopped buying white sports bras ... the white Shock Absorbers that I've got are now grey, even though I've washed them in that special stuff just for your white 'skimpies'.

• Options

Sorry, Shielsy. Momentary lapse, I've been talking to so many London marathoners.

Sonia crossed the in just over 25 minutes, which was obviously extremely comfortable for her. There were 21 parkrunners, including the guest of honour. She then turned round and ran straight back to come in with the tail-runners.

No barcodes today image No volunteers either, so three of us took turns to run ahead and get the gates. There is a group photo on the Newcastle parkrun facebook page.

• Options

No worries XL - maybe if enough people say I'm doing London, it'll really happen, in a Beetlejuice stylee?

Sounds like a good day today at parkrun - what a nice gesture, to run in with the tail runners.

• Options

Lovely gesture, and obviously just the way she is. I'm sure they appreciated it. There is a lovely shot of the three of them crossing the line. Three wide, genuine smiles.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151402716217104&set=a.10151402715822104.1073741833.192057907103&type=1&theatre

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

I'll be in Newcastle NSW in November, but unfortunately not on a Saturday for their parkrun.

• Options

CC2- good news about Edinburgh.  Did you get an elite start there too?  But sorry i won't see you in London- although you would have been waiting around to see me image.

Shielsy- I'd definitely avoid speed work if you're injured. You get so much more impact and stretching with speed.  Keep it for the day!!I too don't have a roller (nor a braimage)- but I do keep a bottle of iced water in the freezer to roll on my calf instead.

• Options
    Evening everyone,

Havent been around for a week or so as been on holiday in the lakes, came back on tuesday afternoon and had my final grand prix race tues night and had an absolute stinker of a run !!

No idea why but had zero energy and within the first half mile i knew inwas struggling and it was going to et worse, mile after mile and each one slower than the last, someone i usally comfortably beat would over take me and id slide in behind them and hold the pace for 10-15m and then just drop off again, total killer but 5.2 miles at ave pace of 7:15 miles, slower than my pace at a half mara !

But at the awards afterwards i won a pair of trainers as i had finished in the top 20 in the overall grand prix rankings after all 8 races, so a good night after all !
  • Options

That's a shame, Graham. It seems nobody has yet managed to post official results at both Newcastle parkruns yet.

• Options

Well done on your prize, mr sj, but sorry you struggled in your race.  Sometimes it just goes like that, eh?

I have discovered that foam-rollering is excruciating - are you sure it's safe, people?

Cheeper than a sports massage though, that's for sure.

• Options
    Foam rollers are the devils work ! I was offered the trainers or a 'beast' foam roller and i opted for the trainers !

Im doing some foam rollering tonight as my quad and IT band is feeling tight on my left leg, reall?? looking forward to it.
  • Options

Ah, but if it hurts it must be doing good, no? 

No elite start at Edinburgh, but I did get Good For Age. I'll just have to push to the front.  

Always nice to win a prize Mr SJ, are they ones you'd wear normally?

• Options

CC2- that's a shame, sharpen those elbows thenimage

• Options
    Cc2 - I started about 4 pens back when I did Edinburgh and I can't say I found the congestion too bad. Beware of the downhill start tho'

Shielsy - ah I see you must be doing the foam roller correctly. In my experience a sports massage is just as if not more painful and you can't just stop like you can with the foam roller

Mr SJ - sorry to hear that running wasn't so good on Tuesday but a bonus to get a prize.
  • Options

CC2 - yes what Fiona says not must congestion at start of Edinburgh but road down to Holyrooyd is as says downhill and can catch you out then watch out for bit from Meadowbank down to coast after taht just plain flattish roads

• Options
    XL/Fiona/Shielsy/OS, thanks for advice, I'll keep working at it. When I look back at Cambridge I was running well at consistent 5:20ish per km as I knew I wasn't fit enough to go faster & it was comfortable & on course for my target. I managed a PB but not under 2hrs basically because calves cramped, I knew they would as they did after 11 the previous week. Went to track weds, 2 lots of 4x4mins with 1x400m at end of each. Managed under 8 min/miles for 4mins & had energy to do a 93sec 400 at the end. Hoping this will help, I guess I just need to make sure that I don't go off that quickly at the start. Thanks again & have a great weekend
  • Options
    Cc2 - no they're not, its a pair of more mile lightweight racers, they look ok nd quality seems decent but i need support in my shoes after all my leg issues and these are no good. Luckily i can take them back and swap em for something more suitable, not sure if that means trainers or clothes, going to town later to find out.
  • Options

Where's the best place to get a foam roller? The physio has just been checking me for my knee pain and has put it down to my IT band.

• Options

Well if you were local I would say start fitness but your not.  You should be able to get one in pretty much any running shop or physio website.  Start Fitness do mail order and were selling them in store for £10 so try their website. I think you have to pay delivery tho' if you spend less than £50 but they are usually pretty competitive on price so still might work out cheaper.

• Options

My legs feel weird today - not sore exactly, just ... heavy, if that makes any sense?  Do you ever get that sensation where you lie in bed and your legs just feel slightly tingly and heavy?

I've no idea if it's down to the foam rollering last night, or just coincidence.

I am in marathon tapering mode though, so obviously each slight twinge or cough is met with absolute dread and fear.  My desk at work is adorned with fruit, bottles of water and dark chocolate.

• Options

Shielsy - I find my legs get like that in last 2 weeks before a marathon after all the weeks of training - I find  it goes during the next training run 

• Options

Cheers BP - I hate this 'waiting around' business.

I'll got out for 5 easy miles tonight after work before painting the town pink.

• Options

Painting the town pink? Whatever are you getting up to?!

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Painting the town pink? Whatever are you getting up to?!

It's like a toned down version of painting the town red - since I'm in marathon mode I have to at least be semi-sensible.  image

• Options

Shielsy - I find my legs are like that every day image As Bear says it usually passes once I'm up and about and then doesn't bother me when running. I'll not breathe too heavily in your direction cos I have a cold. However, it seems mild and I hope (no demand) that it is all gone by next week