Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

If you can find something cheaper with just as good quality - share the love and we all might get one image

• Options

its all good Ems! proper - 'allo sailor salute!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

He was a very attractive man.... 

• Options

always good to have a distraction ....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

What about the Engerland  vests?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Bargain - but I'd prefer a Union flag rather than just St George's image

• Options

for me its the Blue U.J Stella McCartney all the way darling (he said in a pretentious fashionista camp accent) ....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

for me its the Blue U.J Stella McCartney all the way darling (he said in a pretentious fashionista camp accent) ....

and you call me a mincerimage

• Options

Haven't posted in here since the day entry opened, should try and fix that.

Booked my hostel last night (Caulaincourt Square incase anyone else happens to be staying there - private room as I figure that's sensible for a good nights sleep), staying Saturday to Monday because that's pretty much all I can afford to really. Figured I'd wait for eurostar to go on sale rather than fly, not sure how clever an idea that is. Are most people flying in, or are there many people getting the eurostar?

The clocks changing has completely ruined weekday running for me; haven't got into the habbit of running at night yet, even with (dim) streetlights I feel like I could lose my footing at any moment, so have retired to 6-8 mile runs at the gym on weekdays and will run outside on the weekends (going to start with 12 miles this weekend, and slowly push it up, figure the midweek runs will at least keep my stamina up. Have taken off every wednesday afternoon in March and half of Feb so I can get a couple of long runs a week in.

First marathon so maybe I'm taking it a bit too seriously with the training. Running is fun at least, have ended up at a point where when I take a rest-day I feel like I should be out anyway.

• Options
    Emmy_H wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

i can't help it - i've gone all Bubbles.

• Options

it must be all these invoices ....

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Daddsy.

One word of advice - get as early a train as you can. The last thing that you need is to be screaming across Paris trying to get to the Expo before it closes.

Have you tried running with a headlamp? It's amazing how much difference they make and they have the bonus of making you visible to others.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Daddsy - I went on Eurostar this year and every other person was sporting a pair of muddy trainers and a garminimage I definitely prefer it to flying - no luggage restrictions, far less hassle and being delivered into the centre of Paris is fab.  Watch for the dates that the tickets go on sale though - funnily enough they sell out very quickly!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Emmy_H wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

i can't help it - i've gone all Bubbles.

I prefer Emily Howardimage

/members/images/334358/Gallery/emily203.jpg

@Daddsy -I second Orbutt's suggestion. I've been warned about the expo on a saturday and how it's utter hell - so if you can get there early - do it.

• Options

i'm holding out for eurostar on the saturday morning - should i be booking a flight then?

• Options

Hi, thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I want to be able to get to the expo and then relax in paris for a while so i'll be trying to get as early a train as possible (given that I'd need to get to london first) when they go on sale. I haven't tried a headlamp yet, tried a handheld torch which helped a bit, but wasn't really good enough, perhaps a headlamp should be my next purchase.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm heading down saturday morning early from Brussels and then hoping that I can hit the expo before the majority of people are there.... that's the plan at least!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Trevor - Sorry I can't give any tips on going slow as I do that by default. I find if I just tune out and run along without really thinking about it I tend to be in the 9:30 to 10mm zone, so that's what I've tended to do on my LSR's. To get under 9mm I tend to have to focus on my running and my pace.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Thursday sorted - train tickets booked.  I shall be disappearing in a puff of smoke at 10pm but I'll be expecting the entertainment to be good prior to this....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Thursday sorted - train tickets booked.  I shall be disappearing in a puff of smoke at 10pm but I'll be expecting the entertainment to be good prior to this....

All form an orderly queue for Yer_maj's entertainment pleasure image

• Options
    Eurostar is definitely the way to go - city centre to city centre and you can carry all manner of fluids in your luggage without anyone objecting. Get in quick when they go on sale - someone here (possibly me) will generally post a warning when they're about to appear.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Aye and you can all form an orderly queue behind me for those n'all....

• Options
    Sorry folks flights already booked.... Never had issues carrying gels or SiS powder on planes
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Sorry folks flights already booked.... Never had issues carrying gels or SiS powder on planes

You must look more reputable than many of usimage

• Options
    I use Suzie as a distraction ! She has never made through an airport without being stopped

She even got stopped at 1 am on a Sunday morning flying out of Kathmandu !
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I was at the Expo on Saturday afternoon last year. We got there about midday and the queue was about 90 minutes to get in. That being said, they were very efficient and got us sorted quickly - I even changed pens.

However, the restriction on emailing medical certificates may cause a few headaches if there are problems.

• Options
    Emmy. I'd be happy enough to use the running shoes with 30 miles on them to run a mara. They don't need much breaking in.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    It was wonderful to meet DV today - we had a great time but after hearing about some of his endurance events I must confess to not being quite as confident of a victory as I had been!
  • Options

Really fun day today.  Dannirr has arrived safely from the US and we went to see his car that he'll be driving in the London to Brighton veteran car run on Sunday.  What a beauty.  It has been a priviledge just to stand in the background and see all of these remarkable cars.  Truly a snapshot of motoring history.  Dan took the car for a drive and I sat in the back.   Excellent fun and if the weather can stay dry for Sunday i think we will have a good day.

Before then...   we have the drinks and meal on Thursday evening...  meeting in the pub at 7pm-ish...   image

• Options

Vader - please remind me of the pub and restaurant name dude