Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

It's a beautiful day, here! We dressed for the promised rain and sweated it out in bright sun...clear views to the hills. I'll wait til it gets dark...any time now...and go back out with the headtorch..'getting the hang of it, now.

DLR, I've gone from being an overglider to a kicktastic. It's not really progress...Some of the people I swim with are like fish...lovely fish.They glide past me as I labour up the pool, hardly making any splash and, again, on their way back down...It's great to watch..but, so far, impossible to copy..

Emmy, I've just really appreciated how smart my smartphone is image and have planned some off road-ish stuff. With GPS, what can go wrong? (= they can find the body...)

• Options
    Ah, ATM - you've hit the nail on the head with smartphone usefulness - in a rather forensic fashion!

I'm in Belfast, flew in this morning, and the weather's glorious. Going to catch up with the folks and have a late afternoon wobble around Bangor. Joyful.
  • Options

Good afternoon...

My plans for the weekend...

Tomorrow I'm doing the first part of the running coaching course with England Athletics.  Very excited about this.   This will allow me to start coaching clients and I can then do the next stage which is a four day course in February or March.  

Sunday, I'm at the Winter 100 ultra and the Piece of String Ultra.   The Winter 100 is a 100 mile ultra (no prizes for guessing that!) and I'll be running the last 25 miles doing the sweeping role.   The Piece of String is advertised at 'The Worlds Most Pointless Ultra'.  Fabulous idea.   The runners start with no idea of how far or how long they need to go.   It will be a total mystery..  they just keep running until they are told to stop...   image

Weather looks shite for both days.....

• Options

My weekend is a rather pitiful walk/jog tonight and again on Sunday.

• Options

Emmy - tip top up here/down here. Sun shining, Running Anatomy book ordered from ye olde-fashioned bookeshoppe along the street. And Christmas presents all bought and wrapped image

DV - thought your course was this week, apologies. That Piece of String run sounds barking mad and brilliant at the same time. Where is it? Good luck with both of them. Same day for both? - sounds tough.

NGUG - have a good one tomorrow.

• Options

Just had a really good 8.5mile "burn" round Regents Park outer circle which included 8 x 2minute sprints. PBs falling all over the shop inc new 10K PB 46m37s. tomorrow will be my third running day on the trot - ad it will be slow slow slow recovery 7/8 mile wth Dan (my mate who's running Paris with us but too shy to reveal himself on our lovely thread) - After tomorrow gonna take 3 days off the training. Hope everyone's training well and not getting blown over or soaked in rain........

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Emmy - tip top up here/down here. Sun shining, Running Anatomy book ordered from ye olde-fashioned bookeshoppe along the street. And Christmas presents all bought and wrapped image

I'm sorry.... What?!

• Options

Hehe. I'm not good at much, but I'm good at being organised.

• Options

TJB - Well done on the new PB. That's better than I've ever done over that distance.

Weedy - Very organised. I'm currently working off the plan that if I convince myself Christmas and New Years don't exist then they aren't happening!

• Options

I'm like that with my birthday Eggy. I'm currently 21 and have been for the last 17 years.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

TheJB, Dan, Dan Mystery Man is quite right to keep a low profile..Now, we all want to meet him/coach him/have his babies...any or all of the above.

I'm off to the supermarket ( livin' the dream...) but running the 8k there as soon as it gets dark enough to wear the new headlamp...image  The weekend includes a big family/friends surprise dinner organised for my cousin by her husband. I hope he's right in thinking that she'll love it.

The String thing sounds mental.

• Options

Weedy - Birthdays don't bother me. They were never a big deal in my family when growing up, so I've never really attached any importance to them. One of the lads in work was trying to wynd me up as my next birthday is one of the "big ones". He soon gave up when he noticed I really don't care. Plus I certainly look my age. A friend sent me some pictures he uncovered of us when we were about 18. We look like kids and damn I was really really skinny!

I used to love Christmas time, but these days I really just want that time of year to be over and done with.

• Options

20 miles done this morning with a friend who uses a walk/run strategy. 6 min run then 1 min walk. Ran at her pace (about 1.5 mins / mile slower than me). It was a lot of fun and the slower pace and walk/run approach really made it quite easy.  I think I might benefit more from this slower pace on LSR's than had I run at my own pace actually.  I usually find it difficult to slow down enough on the LSR, so this was good.

• Options
    I'm not a fan of Christmas either. Looking forward to 2 weeks off work though.
  • Options

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Sad I didn't get Radar Sal to bite on my hook earlier today. But I did lay out a challenge to the 16-18 yo lads I do fitness training for at the hockey club, to beat me running 'suicides' tonight. All running on soft grass so knee was ok. Ha ha, the old git still has it image

Glad you managed to do some wet arm waving tonight Eggy. Anything to get the old ticker going hey!

sorry, here's your bite image I was out continuing my spectacular drunken trawl in the opposit direction of the running wagon. image I have changed my 1st running school session to a physio one as the back of my leg isn't functioning right.  Will head for a swim tomorrow and sunday to try and keep some semblance of fitness. image

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

TheJB, Dan, Dan Mystery Man is quite right to keep a low profile..Now, we all want to meet him/coach him/have his babies...any or all of the above.

Oh no, JB, you've awakened the caledonian mafia!

On doing a half two weeks before a marathon...this year I did windsor (hilly course) 2 weeks before amsterdam.  PBed for bothimage I was cautious on the half though,  committed to easing off if anything felt wrong and didn't go full pelt.

• Options

I'd planned to run yesterday and today.  Haven't done either.  Work was busy but also bottom of my foot just doesn't feel right.  Half wondering if I could have torn something and it's just not healing quickly but no idea when/how.  Will still run Sunday but booked in at physio on Tuesday.

• Options
    RS: Silverstone Mar 3rd if its a calm day is the place to run a Pb. It's completely flat. Has about 6000 runners. The pens are well organized and its mainly clubbers and people who are training for VLM so u not likely to get held up, plus its very wide for first 4 or 5 miles and the track tarmac is lovely and soft kind to the legs. The downside is its a bit dull visually. If I get there in condition to have a crack at something special, Reading on March 17th will be a taper run, although I will hope to run that sub2 still leaving plenty in the can for Paris. Of course if I have to run Silverstone slow then I can have another Pb crack at Reading which is also one of the quicker ones.

Eggy: todays Pb helped by the sprints. I've increased to 2 mins per Sprint.(was doing 1 min previous). I do it by time rather than distance, find that less pressurising. Will keep increasing every couple of weeks.

What's very cool about today is I had a hangover and had quite a bit to drink at the first of many Xmas work dos. Feel a bit wiped out tonight tho. Maybe should rethink the booze before a race theory.

What's the deal with the caledonian mafia? They train you and them have your babies. Sounds like fun. To throw a bit more fuel onto the fire Dan is a bit of a catch and he doesn't know it if u get my drift!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Radio silence from the Tafia, re Dan...

Running to the supermarket on rather dark, lonely, cycle track is the new black....image The few ,solitary, dog-walkers looked suitably nervous about the  new-headlamp-tester heading towards them at ( very low) speed...

Got one of these   DLR?

• Options

Dannirr - Sounds like a good way to burn off yesterdays feast.

RS - Hope the leg is feeling better soon.

DLR - Fingers crossed that your injury clears quickly. I'm learning all about slow healing injuries and not liking the results of this learning process.

ATM - Sounds like you're enjoying the head torch. Maybe you should invest in one of those Tron suits HS used at the Speed of Light festival.

• Options
    These injuries are frustrating hey Eggy. I realised this evening I have a shin splint on my right leg. I'm only running one, sometimes twice a week. Looks like the near 17k on Sunday is too much training stress for me now. The irritating pain of becoming detrained :/
  • Options

TD - I can't imagine how fustrating the last year must have been for someone like yourself. You are so passionate about our hobby and have achieved such amazing results it seems unfair for you to be sidelined the way you have been for much of the year.

I have to admit to myself that I've been lucky and until recently had almost been completely injury free through years of running. I think the fact I'm not used to being injured hasn't helped me. Learning to be patient is a new skill I need to learn.

• Options

Morning KOC fans...

The Piece of String run started at 00:01.  The first instruction for the bemused runners was 'run towards Swindon'...  that's it...  nothing else...   I'll update more later..

I'm just doing a quick bit of work before I head off to my coaching course...

• Options
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    These injuries are frustrating hey Eggy. I realised this evening I have a shin splint on my right leg. I'm only running one, sometimes twice a week. Looks like the near 17k on Sunday is too much training stress for me now. The irritating pain of becoming detrained :/

I know it must be driving you mad, but you have nothing to gain and everything to lose from constantly trying to get back out there and run.  Take some time off..  a month or more...  there is no rush....  let your body sort itself out, take the medical advice over the knee...  ride your bike...   taking a break isn't going to set you back..  this year hasn't been your best year...   so.. let your body get better and then try again..

• Options

that is early KOC posting DV.

so back in the uk at last and waiting for mrs sr to get back in from her 5km before i can run in the great outdoors again. it is 2 degrees at the moment so it will be quiet a change from the last couple of weeks.

10 days to go until proper paris training starts image

have a good weekend everyone.

• Options

SR - what's your thoughts on the Ashmei jacket?  Which did you get?

TD - similar boat here in that I seem to have developed a bit of plantar fasciaitis just as initial injury clears despite modest running.  I wonder if your/my gait or footstrike altered with injury/op leading to new injuries?

Eggy if its miniscule consolation I think it does get easier.  This is the third time I've had a relatively long lay off and the second year running.  I'm definitely more philosophical about it this time - though that doesn't stop me feeling pretty down from time to time still.  Take it easy fella and work your way back through the Wire box set - I'm back in the world of Frank Sobotka and Stan Valcheck at the moment...

• Options

I woke up this morning full of bounce.......for once!! So in Kaz style I have probably overdone things!!image One hour of circuits followed by a 5 mile run............I wish they had a Boot camp class here, I think I would really enjoy it!!! image 

Starving now thou..........think my extra energy this morning came from the Friday bar of chocolate!!image

Eggy - Take care. I know how fustrated you are and I would be the same If I listened to the qualified people around me!!image

DV - Hope the course goes well. I am inspiredimage

Oh and I am really enjoying my new TV to, I have spent more time watching tv this week then I have in months!! Must be the fact that I can see it without my specs!!!image

• Options
    Really feel for you guys on the injury bench. I would be a nightmare patient - no patience and I'd drive everyone around me up the wall. Hang in there.

What would Kaz do? She would overdo!
  • Options

Had a beautiful 74 minute run along the Coast Path from Brighton to Black Rock.

Was about 25centigrade so jumped in the bay after and a lay on the beach for an hour.

http://www.weekendnotes.com/coastal-art-trail/

Beaumaris Cliffs by Alfred Coleman

The walking trail large image

• Options

Morning all. Today's word of the day is 'hatonglovesontrackiebottomson'

Ditto from me Eggy.
    Good to hear you're full of beans Kaz
    DV - loving the String run directions. Keep the updates coming please
    Jimbob - do we get to play 20 questions about Dan, Dan The Mystery Man?