Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

DLR - no. the timing is specific, but not for muscle recovery (although  like that idea!). It's diet control. My worst out-of-control period is between dinner (supper) and bed.  So if I have my protein shake about an hour after dinner, it satisfies my "hunger" and chocolate craving and I don't go nuts on other stuff.  But, in order to aid muscle recovery, I do have a 4:1 carbimagerotein shake (Endurox name brand) after every run over 60 minutes. One scoop for an easy run, two scoops for a long or hard run.

• Options

I see an emoticon gets inserted even when I dont want one.  That was meant to be a 4:1 carb : protein shake.  

• Options

GROUNDHOG DAY! image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hang in there, TJB...You've only got 3+ more weeks of this and then the taper..image

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

Hang in there, TJB...You've only got 3+ more weeks of this and then the taper..image

That's a frightening thought. Don't feel like I've even started training for this yet! image

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Jimbob - here's what I posted a while back about LSRs - although it prompted a discussion about training and glycogen depletion, which is a different issue:

The theory on long runs is (apologies to any medics out there for over-simplification): your body stores energy in two forms - fat and glycogen (carbs). When you exercise you use both kinds, but it's easier to access glycogen, which is stored in the liver and muscles, than fat, which is stored - wherever you store fat. A fit person who hasn't done enough endurance training will probably have enough glycogen to run about 15-20 miles - after that you switch to fat burning only. Fat burns more slowly, and needs more oxygen to do so, therefore you have to slow down, and feel crap - this is 'the wall'. The purpose of long slow runs is to train your body to burn more fat, earlier, conserving glycogen for later in the run, it's not to replicate race pace. It's a combination of endurance, speedwork and adrenaline on the day that will get you round at the right speed.

Today I'm paying the penalty of a hard training weekend. On the plus side, I don't have any aches and pains. On the downside, three days of galloping around in icy rain with wet feet and I think I've got Jimbob's tonsils image .

YM - interesting feedback from the Running School - sounds like you've really got something to work with there.

In terms of the LSR theory, not sure if there is an answer but how does this work?  How does your body decide that it needs to use more fat instead of glycogen?  is there anything that can be done / eaten to reduce the chances of feeling rubbish by 15 odd miles?

Am planning on fitting in a few more 16 odd milers before the race (on top of the 20 miler - my longest distance that i will run) and would be useful to know how best to prepare.  I know everyone is different but are there any specific types of food etc. i should eat on the day / day before that would help or is it generally pasta and some protien etc?

Thanks - this is a great thread! really helpful reading through all the posts.

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Time is flying - I can't believe it's that close. I have my last long run (32km/20 miles) planned for 24th of March and then it's taper from then on. Scary thought!

• Options

Vicky - The more long runs you do the more you adapt to them. As for eating on the day I'd recommend eating what you do prior to your long training runs. Never introduce something new on race day, as you never know if it will agree with you or not. Your body moves to fat when it runs out of glycogen. Part of the long runs in training is to get used to that happening.

The day before most folk carb load, but I think it's wise to make sure you don't over eat. Also try and stick with what you know. It's the training you put in that will see you through the day, not a magical meal the night before. Last year there was a couple of forum carb loading meet ups the night before the race. It's a good way to ease any pre-race nerves and put faces to names.

• Options

jimbob's tip of the week. (from experience) - have a good nights sleep before an LSR -= fun enjoyable relaxing spiritual long run.

Bad nights sleep = grumpy features for the next 2 days!

btw not so sure about carb "loading" - but if you are the kind of person who doesn't eat that much carbs like me then it's adviseable to have a few more carbs in your meal than you usually would the night before, plus some porridge before you set off - plus i benefit of quoffing some carbs within 30 minutes of getting back from the long run.

• Options

Carb loading is probably a bad term. The way I see it is do what you would prior to your long runs. Your long training runs should be used as practice for race day. I always eat a carb based meal the night before my long runs.

The last thing you should be doing before the race is introducing new things to your diet, be that the night before, race morning or in race refuelling. I'm pretty sure at least one person last year who had an apartment cooked their own meal the night before to ensure it was exactly what they eat when training.

• Options

That would be me image

Risotto round our gaff again this year if anybody wants any....

• Options

mmm lemon chicken n rocket risotto with a dash of parmesan

• Options

Now you lot are just making me hungry! image

• Options

spaghetti bologneighhhhh anybody?

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

My worst out-of-control period is between dinner (supper) and bed.  So if I have my protein shake about an hour after dinner, it satisfies my "hunger" and chocolate craving and I don't go nuts on other stuff.  

Me and thee both!

I'll give that a try.  At the moment I'm trying to quash cravings like that by going for a walk for half hour.  By that time I'm either over it or I've more or less earned it!

• Options

Hi Everyone. Just thought I'd come and say hello. I'm running Paris with you all in April. I had a go last year but didn't get the time I was after so having another go this year.  Looking forward to hearing eveyone's chat.

• Options

Sarah, Welcome on board. Hopefully we will get the time you want this year.

• Options
    Had 3 days resting up my calf, just spending a hour each day stretching hoping to try a gentle run tomorrow
  • Options
    Are you still running in Wrexham on Sunday?
  • Options
    Yes still planning on doing Wrexham think my OH tho is thinking of missing it
  • Options

Sarah - Welcome to the thread. What time are you chasing?

Well I managed to go for a very slow run and didn't die, so I'm counting that as progress! image

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)

My worst out-of-control period is between dinner (supper) and bed.  So if I have my protein shake about an hour after dinner, it satisfies my "hunger" and chocolate craving and I don't go nuts on other stuff.  

Me and thee both!

I'll give that a try.  At the moment I'm trying to quash cravings like that by going for a walk for half hour.  By that time I'm either over it or I've more or less earned it!

DLR and Dannirr - score another for that out-of-control period... What protein shakes do you guys use?

8 weeks - and it'll all be over!

• Options

Eggy - I'm looking forward to actually making the carb-loading dinner at the Champs Elysee pasta place on time this year. Hopefully! 

• Options
    Eggy - any run where you don't die is progress image .

Lots of new folks on the thread in the last few days - hello all! I've just 'outed' a new colleague at work who, it transpires, is running Paris for the third time this year. We're having lunch on Friday to talk tactics.

Dave and Mrs Dave - what calf problems do you have? If it's torn muscles, I e had good experiences with ultrasound - seems to speed up the healing process. Then again it might just be witchcraft. Hard to tell.

Gentle saunter this evening with my Paris buff pulled up over my nose to keep the cold air out. Worked quite well, although they now call me the Masked Bandit of Blackheath.
  • Options

Hi everyone.  I'm just a plodder, aiming for 4.30, never quite reached it. This is my 4th Marathon and really want to finish with a 4 in front!  My training is going well this year so I'm starting to think I'll do it.  It is so nice to be excited about doing a Marathon instead of dreading it. 

• Options
    I meant to post this earlier - I found it on the Paris site, under 'relive 2012'. It's from a description of the atmosphere at the start line:

'The entire world runs in Paris, more than one hundred nationalities. In reading the names printed on the numbers, one allows his or her imagination to wander. Amy and Alex are from Edinburgh. They have a joyful Scottish accent that is hard to understand. Next to them, Matteo and Luca, Romanian by birth and soul, try out their French, hoping to meet girls. The international dimension of the Marathon de Paris is evident. Do not forget that 40% of the participants are not French???'

image hard to understand?

The whole thing is worth a read - it starts with a description of the north wind hitting the thighs of the runners...

http://www.parismarathon.com/marathon/2013/us/r1_recit_depart.html
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah - welcome back. As memory serves me you finished in 5:12 image
    No, I'm not stalking you - you made an appearance in the Thread Finishers video last year, fast forward to 7:47 for your 10 seconds of fame image

IM2 I was one of those people leaving pasta papas with a full belly, just as you arrived. I'm sure you'll make it this year image

RR - my physio gave me bit of ultrasound ( I'm not pregnant, apparently) but he was quite frank in telling me that it may help a little but it's no miracle cure. Rest was the answer. A slight pull, 1-2 weeks. Strain or slight tear, 2-3 weeks. Bad tear, 6 weeks.

Went out for a pyramid session tonight. Didn't manage to hit target times but didn't collapse either.

YM - when do you go skiing?

• Options

Orbutt - through the tunnel Friday night, drive down overnight, arrive Saturday lunchtime....just in the middle of Packing Hell...image

• Options

Sarah - Here's to you hitting your target. Good to hear someone on here's training is going well this year.

RR - I don't think I do much for the easy to understand Scottish accent, but counter it in France with lots of pointing at things and looking confused! I think I'm the only person ever in Paris to be asked "Please, speak English" when attempting French.

Orbutt - I just rewatched that video. Great memories, but it also highlights just how far behind last years condition I am this year.