Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Meadower and Orbutt, thank you for the welcomes! 

I am indeed in the rose pen, Bib number 71622. 

I took a look at the Hal Higdon runs, his novice one is pretty similar to the one I'm following at the moment.  I'll never be able to run 4 times a week but I figure as long as I stick to an absolute bare minimum of one short run during the week and a long one at the weekend I'll be able to get by (at the moment I'm doing 2 short runs a week and a 'long run' (well I'm calling it that, it's actually a 'short slow jog') at the weekend).  You are absolutely right, my mistake all along was comparing myself to other people but now I am just focussing on how much I am improving.  I ran 4 miles the other day without even a twinge in my hip which is just incredible. 

Hayley you sound like you're all over it!! 15k is a great start, I have a long way to go before I'm running that.  The longest I've ever run is 10k but that's with a bunch of obstacles running through it and I'm definitely stronger than I am cardio-fit.

I've heard that Paris takes quite a while to thin out, especially when you're a rose pen starter.  How long will it take before there's a bit of space to work with?  In my mind I need to keep to the middle of the road to avoid the fruit peel and water from the hoses!! That's probably my biggest concern - allowing my legs to settle into a running pace without too much slowing/speeding/dodging; the smoother it is the greater my chances of my joints staying in place!!!

If you experienced lot all had to offer one top tip for a beginner, what would it be? image

• Options
    Moominrun - I'm going to shamelessly pinch Dannir's recommendation for you - don't bank time, bank energy. In other words, don't go off too fast, you'll pay for it later. Especially in Paris, it's your first marathon, you're all excited, the music's playing, and you start off downhill. You go charging off, you think 'this is great, I'm actually much fitter than I thought, I'm going to finish way faster than my estimated time'. That, I guarantee, will result in a highly unpleasant last 6 miles. Start off slow, and slow down.

If your plan includes walking breaks (and that's a strategy I highly recommend, you might be surprised how they keep your legs fresh without having much impact on your overall pace), start them early, not when you start to tire. If, and only if, you get beyond about 22 miles and you feel you've got something left, then you can pick up the pace.

And if I'm allowed another one - take time to enjoy the experience. You only ever run your first marathon once, and you're running the streets of Paris. Don't get too bound up in race day stress to go 'wheee! I'm here!' image
  • Options

Top tip is the same as Running Rodent's - don't go off too fast. That isn't just a tip for a beginner, that's for everyone! And she's right, Paris starts off running dead straight and downhill, there's a lot of crowd support and it is extremely easy to run way way too fast! Yesterday I saw an old picture of myself at about the 3 mile mark on my first marathon (Paris 2014) and I'm already very red in the face, I went off way too fast and it is really obvious from the picture! Suffice to say that by 8 miles I was already really really struggling. Don't make it harder than it has to be by going off too fast, it's a marathon and not a sprint!

• Options

Moominrun_I'm there with you in the rose pen! 1st marathon for me too. Although I've done some halvesI still find the whole concept of a marathon exceedingly daunting! And I hurt my leg on Sunday! Never mind-better in a couple of days. It's great to know that there will be some people who I will 'know' in the same pen, as I am running it on my own!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Finding your first marathon to be daunting is perfectly normal. I'm sure most folk who stand on that start line for the first time have serious doubts about completing, but we do. Nothing beats that first time finish though, when you can tell yourself you completed a marathon.

For your first marathon, unless you come from a strong running background, I'd say the aim should be to complete and try and enjoy the experience and take it all in as much as possible. Time goals are great, but they do add a level of pressure and that can come later if you want it.

The one bit advice for newcomers to the marathon I'd offer beyond what's already been said by others is not to get caught up in what others are doing. This place is a great resource for advice and tips and it's filled with people with different training schedules, abilities and goals. Don't get concerned over what everyone else is doing. Stick to your plan and follow it. Ask advice is you feel you need it, but don't start to fret because it seems like everyone else is out running more, or longer, or faster. Everyone here will offer encouragement and support, no matter if you're the first home or last.

My main bit of advice. Join everyone in the group activities in Paris that weekend. Closer to the race plans will be organised for meals, drinks etc. I've ran this race four years in a row and that's all due to the friends I've met here through running Paris. I'll openly admit to being a bit of an introvert, and before Paris someone who went to all my races alone. Through this place I can't remember the last race I ran without good friends being there. It makes for a much better experience. I love walking into the pub after the race and seeing everyone relaxing with their finishers medal on.

• Options
    ..... drinking cold beers and eating hamburgers ......
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Welcome to all the newbies! I've got nothing more to add that others have not said. Just really enjoy it and make sure that you're doing nothing 'new' on race morning.

• Options
    I am working my way through the 60 odd pages of this thread, absorbing as much of it as I can.
  • Options

Hello and welcome to all newbies to the thread image

This is a really great place to be, a better bunch you will not find! There lots of support and advice in here and a good bit of banter too! I came across this thread a year ago and ran my first Paris earlier this year, despite not having a great run (my own fault) I couldn't fault the company and am back for another go in 2016... I will not be looking at the firemen next time or run through the water! ...I will however carry some blister plasters!.....actually I probably will look at the firemen image image

• Options

Hi! Welcome to all the newcomers, sorry I haven't been around for ages. 

A bit of an update - Eurostar booked, will look at airbnb next week (I'm aiming to have the travel done as soon into 2016 as possible, so I can concentrate on training!) and all seems to be going well.

This will be my third Paris, and I've even managed to nag/encourage/support Mr KeyserSuze into doing his first full marathon. It's awesome, you're going to love it. 

On a slightly related note, is anyone doing the DisneyLand Paris half next September? I'm dying to do it and I missed the Florida ones in January.  (apologies if this has already been discussed image )

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi last out of the water - welcome aboard image

Advice, loads to be found on here, ask away. 

MoomingRun. The race starts on the Champs Elysee, which is pretty darn wide. 

It starts in waves and each pen is split in half, so the first mile is never crowded. 

Once you get by the Louvre, the road narrows up a bit but most people are finding their pace by then so it's not too bad. 

There is a bottle neck at Bastille but it won't slow you down much. 

All in all, nothing to worry about. 

• Options

Hotel booked, Eurostar booked,

Anyone else staying Hotel Belfast?

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Thanks TheBigOne and Orbutt... Definitely York rather than New York. The official title is Yorkshire Marathon though it does start and end in York which is still a really nice place. Very similar to the experience in Chester marathon, just a pity they're not spread out more (this year just a week apart) otherwise I'd probably do both.

I'm still a bit achy and tired but will try a run Thursday at latest.
  • Options

Eurostar booked

Apartment booked

Childcare booked

Disney tickets booked - not yet image

Bring it on Paris!!!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

For the first time marathoners:   you've herd a lot of people say don't go out too fast, or "bank energy, not time" - but what exactly do they mean?  How fast is too fast?  Surprisingly, it is not much.  Going 15-20 seconds faster than your intended pace will have disastrous effects in the last 1/3 of the marathon.   And it is so easy to do - we all have done it, and some of us (ok, me) still do it.  Why?  Because you feel great, you are excited, your legs are bursting with energy ... and off you go.   Know your intended pace and stick to it religiously.   (for the old timers here, given my Chicago marathon performance 2 days ago, it kinda feels like I'm the pot calling the kettle.....)

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannir - wasn't  your fault, you followed a pacer who wasn't sticking with the plan. 

• Options

Pacing is much easier said than done, as Dannirr is alluding to. Even working out what pace to aim for in the first place is quite difficult, it has to be based on a realistic calculation of how your training has gone, and on a well-timed half marathon race I think.

What do the experienced runners do to work out what pace to target?

• Options

Hey,

I'm new to the forum, have just signed up to the Paris Marathon!

I'm in the green pen 52579.

This is my first marathon, I've done a couple half's but I've only been running since March. 

I look forward to this one, just need to get the med cert signed and stamped and good to go. Is this something that Doctors do without question or are they going to be a pain about it?

Thanks!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

amalik - Welcome to the thread!

Getting the medical form signed by your GP seems to be pot luck. Some sign it without a medical and no/small charge, some want to do a full medical and charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Most people don't have a problem with getting it done, but we do tend to get a couple of people each year who have a nightmare getting it signed and stamped.

• Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Eggyh73 do you have to send it beforehand or bring it with you?

• Options
    Instruction say present it at Expo to collect race number, bib
  • Options

Events Fairy, is that a PC term?

Can I please add my planned events?

18 Oct Bright10

1 Nov Billericay 10k

15 Nov Brooks Brighton 10k

17 Jan Jeskyns Challenge (HM)

7 Feb Great Bentley Half Marathon

28 Feb Brighton Half Marathon

20 Mar Brentwood Half Marathon

3 April Paris Marathon

Thank you

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hey Amalik - welcome. 

Medical forms are a bit of pot luck. I was fortunate this year as I visited the Dr on an unrelated matter an asked him if he'd sign it. Turns out he's a runner. Cue, discussions about various marathons. Form signed, no charge. image

present it at the expo to get your bib. It will be checked, so make sure you use the one on the website to ensure the correct wording. 

• Options

Heroine - some go with an approximation based on tune up races or as you say, training. Others are more scientific and work out their race pace from a heart rate benchmark like Max HR or Lactate Threshold and would race within.There's no right or wrong way. A good / scientific training plan helps you understand the possibilities and also boundaries, the Hal Higdon's and Asics or RW programmes are fine but probably don't let the runner realise their full potential as they are generic.

• Options
    Heroine in a half-shell wrote (see)

Pacing is much easier said than done, as Dannirr is alluding to. Even working out what pace to aim for in the first place is quite difficult, it has to be based on a realistic calculation of how your training has gone, and on a well-timed half marathon race I think.

What do the experienced runners do to work out what pace to target?

And at what point should one be setting that target pace?

For me personally, my tune up race 4 or 5 weeks out from the big day. Only problem with that is that I have about 3 months of marathon training in the legs when I do the tune up, so I may never deliver my best performance in said tune up. So my calculation is based on how fast I ran in a half 5 weeks out. Use a calculator like macmillan to work out the marathon equivalent, do the race at that pace and hope for the best.

There are still variables that effect you on the day, a very slight headwind, you're maintaining target pace, but working that slight bit harder, burning that slight bit more energy, depleting your glycogen ahead of time.

As PJ Frizzle, says you could get a more scientific training plan, monitor the paces a bit more, monitor fitness, gains more frequently as well general improvements and adjust the plan accordingly along the way and then set your target based on a 5k time trial about 7-10 days out.

Then all you have is go out and execute, and boy that is hard, all the on the day variables come into play. It really is a test to run that close to LT for that time, for that distance, making the glycogen last for the full distance, so that when you cross that line, you have nothing more to give, you've done your absolute best to produce that performance. Most people can't, but you know you've had a good day, when your splits are even and you run a very slight positive or negative split. I love that stage in a race (it's only happened a couple of times) where you are well clear of 20 miles, and you want to push the pace on a bit, and just on feel your are able to divide up that energy you have left to last you for the distance left in front of you. It's very satisfying, because if you get to that stage, it means you've done everything right so far.

• Options
    Hi

I have 2 Marathan training plans, one is 20 weeks the second is 16 weeks. They both obviously get me to the same place, the start line. My question is, is 20 weeks too long, burn out, injury.

How long do you prepare?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

All my best marathons have been run in the least scientific way possible! image

I think I'm a bit of a freak to be honest. I rarely look at my time and run races off instinct. For instance in Paris this year I wanted to beat my previous PB, set there in 2012. I knew I was in good shape as I'd ran a half PB on a difficult course three weeks previously, which gave me the confidence to decide I was going for that target. I wanted to match my split at the halfway point from 2012, which was 1:51. I did exactly that and I'd only checked my watch once, at 5km because I know I have a tendency to start off too fast. I came in with a new PB, two minutes faster the old one. Basically I faded less than in 2012.

In Stockholm when I knocked another three minutes off my PB I wasn't running for a time, just trying to keep a pace I was comfortable with, and only started to think I could run a good time as I went through the halfway point in 1:50, a minute up on Paris.

When I ran my half PB just before fracturing my foot I didn't check my watch at all! In fact in halfs or less I never check my pace/time.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    last out of the water wrote (see)
    Hi
    I have 2 Marathan training plans, one is 20 weeks the second is 16 weeks. They both obviously get me to the same place, the start line. My question is, is 20 weeks too long, burn out, injury.

How long do you prepare?

I tend to do 18 weeks. Even with that the first three/four weeks are fairly light mileage to help build up.