Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

never really "got" hilly marathons.  the buggers are hard enough without having to ascend up hills!!

• Options

Vodka on a feed station!!  I'll be looking into that race after Manchester..

I'm running royal parks half in a couple weeks, I'm treating it as more of a group run than a race. 

• Options

Agreed Pete, give me 26 flat miles!

• Options

25k for me today, 10k at mara pace and 15k a little qyicker than easy pace. felt good until the last couple of km when i felt really cold.

have switched my half mara to Arley so if anyone wants my Lancaster place let me know. rivington half next week then taper time

Happy running all! 

• Options

Hi magic, how long is your taper for the half?

• Options

ill probably do 2 weeks. penultimate week will be pretty close to a normal week but the sunday run will only be a 10miler at most.  race week will be a couple of rest days and a couple of race pace efforts. nothing too strenuous. i have rivington half on saturday next week so im expecting that i will be sore from that as im not used to hills  so that might impact the start of taper

• Options

Coop Goldbettle off here's the brain's behind it a few of the folks who go on some of the clubhouse threads have mucked in last couple of years. If you deside to want to play but of a booze up before and after. It's a hardish race in terms of the hill's. linky

• Options

Just entered this one and sorted hotel. Looking forward to some more self flagellation in  those last few miles already! Marathon number eleven for me 

Sounds like it could be flat and fast??? What's the story with the water pouch thingies?

need to recover from Loch Ness yesterday then prob start to try to pull my finger out just before the Christmas shenanigans begin

• Options

I found the water pouches really good. The further into the race I went the more water I needed and I found I could carry pouches quite easily. A little fiddly to undo as you have to yank them open with your teeth and a couple of times I soaked people near me. I'm sure there is a knack to it.

Flat and fast it most certainly is. A couple of inclines that go over train lines and that's about it. Definitely a course if you're looking for a PB

• Options

Well looks like the London reject mags are falling through letterboxes today, think Manchester will get a lot more customers in the next few days!!

• Options

Afraid the vodka marathon is at the wrong time of year for me Cake - I'll be out of country. Maybe the year after image I like hills - I ran Stroud trail marathon this year, it was lovely. 

I'm also a fan of the water pouches - I have tiny hands so carrying bottles is a no-go. 

• Options

Anyone else doing Rivington on Saturday?

Sounds like the London mags are falling through letterboxes today so will probably enter Manchester tonight before the early bird ends.

Same lactate session as last Tuesday for me today, 20mins, 5 rest, 15mins, 4 rest then 10mins.  Tough but felt strong image  really looking forward to Arley at the moment, feeling in the zone!

• Options

Easing off a bit this week as lower back problems have struck again, it was an easy week anyway so not too bad. Loving the night running but not fond of the dark mornings image

• Options

I'm running Manchester again for the 3rd year after the inevitable 'Sorry' magazine arrived this morning image

• Options

Welcome aboard KPO, not had my rejection mag today, something to look forward to tomorrow!

• Options
    Just entered the manchester marathon. I did my first marathon on Sunday with a time of 4.29.01, which got me thinking if I train a bit harder, lose a bit of weight, could I get a better time. Having a week off running this week, and then ease back into it.
  • Options
    I'm waiting on my rejection magazine coming aswell,after it's confirmed I'll be signing up for manchester too.
  • Options

Manchester is a great marathon.  Did it last year and have done London twice.  Prefer Manchester.  It's a real "runners" race rather than a giant fun run.  What the crowds lack in numbers they make up for in noise.  You'll love it. 

• Options

Think I've managed to convince the OH to sign up for Manchester too. It'll be her first. Also waiting on London rejections before signing her up (I don't mind missing the early bird discount!)

• Options

Just signed up. First marathon so slightly nervous! Did my first HM recently and loved it so hopefully this will be a good experience!

• Options
    Bigeater- cheers, good luck on the magazine

Andy- having also done both Id agree with you Manchester is the better marathon, I just have unfinished business with London image

Redbear- well done, put the training in and you will love it doing Manchester it's a great race and well supported
  • Options

For anyone interested the 4 villages half entries opened today.  A cracking half which i really enjoyed on my route to Manchester last year.  Places sell quick so enter soon if you fancy it.  Wilmslow entries open in November which is the other one i will likely be doing.

John

• Options

There will be other discount offers for Manchester either side of Christmas, usually codes in the local papers etc so don't worry if you missed the early bird this time around

I'm waiting until next payday post-Arley HM to get my entry in and then as AM says will be booking in for Wilmslow too. 4 villages always falls around my birthday unfortunately and the Preston HM is usually the first week in Jan

Last year there was an event at Oulton Park organised as part of the marathon build-up a 10K and a HM if I remember rightly

To those entering their first "full", don't panic, pick a training plan and try and stick to it, put the training in, adjust your plan if you have to but don't play catch up, listen to the very sage advice that some of the contributors on here offer and look to enjoy it setting realistic goals if you need some motivation

Like KPO this will be my 3rd Manchester marathon and I'm determined to stick to my race plan this year and hang onto the coattails of the relevant pacer

• Options
    rockinrockyrobin wrote (see)

4 villages always falls around my birthday

This is exactly the reason i do run it image  Its my birthday present to myself.  My bday is the 22nd so its the nearest weekend although last year was a day closer image

• Options
    AnimalMagic wrote (see)
    rockinrockyrobin wrote (see)

4 villages always falls around my birthday

This is exactly the reason i do run it image  Its my birthday present to myself.  My bday is the 22nd so its the nearest weekend although last year was a day closer image

It's actually on my birthday this year, United are away at QPR that weekend, I rarely tend to go out to celebrate these days so you never know, I might enter and have some post-race "refreshments" as a treat to myself

It would be nice to have the odd HM on a Saturday rather than Sunday, so the build-up doesn't eat into the whole weekend, although I guess more people run on a Sunday whereas I prefer to run Saturdays, do my long run in the week and have Sunday as a rest day

• Options

Well just had an email this morning with a guaranteed entry for the york 2015 marathon as I didn't get in this year and was on the waiting list they are giving the waiting list first shout for next year. Very decent of them. Anyone did it? Recommend it?

• Options

I go out on my long run on Saturdays too rockin, otherwise I spend the whole weekend either thinking about my long run, running my long run or recovering from my long run. Nothing better than a free Sunday.  

• Options
    Just Coop Going wrote (see)

I go out on my long run on Saturdays too rockin, otherwise I spend the whole weekend either thinking about my long run, running my long run or recovering from my long run. Nothing better than a free Sunday.  

And a cheeky snifter or two on a Saturday night knowing you're not up in the morning to grind out 13+ miles image

• Options

London rejection magazine arrived so Manchester it is.

Hotel booked and XS t shirt requested (I love it when they have XS sizes!)

This will be my 1st marathon (if I get to the start line), but not my first entry - I'm just easing back in after a fractured foot which resulted in having to defer my GNR and Robin Hood full entries.

Originally I was aiming for a cheeky sub 3.45 off a 1.42 half and 43.02 10k (I'm not a fan of 10 or 5k's) but I think anything under 4 would be a great start after the last few months.

I'm back up to 5-6 miles 4 times a week with my first longer run this coming Sunday. I was planning to use October to build up steadily and get my base back and then begin to ramp up in November using a parkrun each week to see how I'm progressing (and finally get that 50 t shirt!)

Planning to follow the RW 3.30-4.00 plan again as I was up over 20 miles and feeling great, but open to any suggestions image

I was thinking my husband might give it a bash as he completed his first half this weekend at RH and is still buzzing, but he told me to get lost so he's promised to run with our 7 year old at parkrun so I can concentrate fully...

Very excited after a few very frustrating months - here's to long winter runs and wet feet! image

• Options

Exactly Rockin, exactly image 

I vaguely follow a RW plan too snafflepants - with a few amendments following the last couple years training. Has worked well so far! I think mine is the sub 4 plan from before time began. I'm currently winding down for the royal parks half marathon in a couple weeks, will take some well earned rest then back into it at the beginning of Dec!