Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    A folding mountain bike! Sounds like a niche product. Check out wiggle Poacher. They have anything you could need and more - decent delivery and cheap.

Super 3 county ride this morning with a couple of similar ability riders - about 65miles round forest of bowland in Lancs, Yorkshire Dales national park then through Dent and Kirkby Lonsdale to tick off Cumbria before dropping back to near silverdale (lancss) to the finish. Lots of hills 5000ft plus of climbing and on the rivet the whole way round. Lurvely.
  • Options
    17 miles here at 4 am. Quite hard after yesterday's race. Still I survived and enjoyed.

A good pair of padded shorts would be first on my list Poacher. Definitely sub 9 is the target. 8:30 would be the dream and less than 2000th position. Anyway all running is focused on 29th May.

PFJ - we are eager to hear something?
  • Options

Thanks SJ/BI. Picking up the bike tomorrow. Montague Paratrooper.

BI - just checked and I scraped 1931st with 8.49 on the down in 2014.  So 8.30 could be very comfortably under 2000.  Still debating about whether to come back for no.3.

17m at 4am - Gul eat your heart out...

• Options

18M at 6pm for me (well, 5.50pm) after a 6 hour rehearsal.  Pretty knackered now.

• Options

Lorenzo - Haha, yeah I can imagine them thinking that. I saw that the other day. Amazing really when you think about it. Hopefully you can have a good winter and give the sub 3 a decent stab. I'd say you're not very far away now.

Gul - image

Poacher - Have you done Médoc? It's a great event. You know you want to do Comrades again!

Bike it - Good stuff. A 4am Gulesque start though!

Jools - Not surprised, that's a lot of running crammed into 3 days.

13.1 miles in glorious sunshine today. 8.1 on the road and 5 up and down a trail path @ a nice comfy 7:50mm pace, although some other runner made me run a bit faster for the last 3 miles or so. image

• Options

Hey troops, just in from a Berlin techno club!LOL. Anyway 3:11. Was the result, pretty much ran my perfect race. marginal Negative split on the 2nd HM with a pee stop. No strong negative thoughts at all. It was quite a congested first half I'd say, a lot of zigging. No real race stories, P&D was the hero of the day. when I was doing strides on the schedule I have to admit I was asking myself why, but they were a saviour over the last few K.

PJF.

• Options

I think there are a few undulations in the Leicester marathon Gul, although I've personally never run the full. Good early morning 10 miler there.

Brilliant Parkrun 0052

A decent 15 mile pace Lorenzo, did that feel comfortable?

2 good sessions Jools, you need to shut the curtains or move your desk so you can't see outsideimage

Sounds an intriguing race BikeIt and good value too. Terrain and heat sounded like they played a big part in the time - not normal conditions!

A hectic weekend there GM plus your half marathon run- you need a rest now!

Excellent time there in Berlin PJFimage . I'd love to run in berlin sometime. Looking forward to reading your report after you've got over your techno Club experience.

First run for a week with 10 miles yesterday and a couple of miles in the middle @ 7.20 pace. Was still feeling it in my calves near the end, but feel fine tonight. Was going to go out today too, but have been in Liverpool all day doing a tour of Anfield and then driving home.

• Options

Poacher - hope all your limbs and digits are still intact.
    SJ - sounds like a cracking route for your bike ride.
    Bike It - 4am?! Are you nuts? Nice one.
    Jools - I should think the six hour rehearsal was more exhausting!
    GM - an enjoyable run.
    PJF - congratulations - you must be really chuffed with that performance - perfectly executed. Look forward to a full report!
    KR - a good recovery run! Undulations? That probably means mountains thenimage
    GPS battery died during my run this morning, and I was running a new route too! With the help of map my run, I think it was about 8.2 steady milesimage

• Options
    Very well done PJF! That's a great time and sounds like you ran it very well. image

Not sure about your techno clubbing!
  • Options

PJF - Great performance and time, well done!

• Options

Great stuff PJF - you must be very pleased. Not sure I'd have fancied a techno club a a post race celebration though!

KR - to be honest, it didn't feel that tough. Just need to go a bit fast for a bit longer now!!

8 miles this morning with the middle 5 at an average of 7 min/mile. Was hoping to see the supermoon eclipse (??) but it was too cloudy, and probably a bit too late as well.

• Options

Morning all,

A great weekend's work, with a special mention for PJF's escapades in Berlin. Fantastic result, well deserved.

Many other good training runs, bike rides, parkruns and other adventures being logged.

15.5 for me early on Saturday, which ended up being the total of my weekend's training and amounts to the longest run of my Oxford campaign. Nothing else to report. Certainly not going to talk about the rugby!

• Options

Great run PJF but we need a fuller report once your ears have recovered from the club.

• Options

Good work PJF - nice to see you achieve your goalimage

• Options

Berlin September 2015

First of all Berlin is an incredible place, not too big or overly busy, everywhere made really accessible by the SBahn.

Saturday morning my mate and I took on a light 5k runs through East Berlin, running alongside the largest remaining section of the Wall. We headed into town on the SBahn exiting at, as we climbed the stairs the it was, the Brandenburg gate, under the clearest of sky in the brilliant sunshine, all set up for Sunday, It was like Mecca for runners, all nationalities, thousands and thousands.  I knew it was going to be special. We spent a good chunk of time at he Holocaust memorial & Museum. That was worth the trip alone.

Getting back to running prep. it was bad! The city was so amazing we spent 8 hours on our feet Wandering around before grabbing an awesome Pizza and heading back to the hotel. Early to bed, then it started, my dads snoring and needing a p*ss every 30m I'd estimate 4hrs sleep pre race.

Race morning, good breakfast at 6:15. .Blood sugar levels were spot on, which is always an added concern. headed into town and made the march from the station to the Riechstag with what must have been 20,000 others along the river. 

For those thinking about Berlin, one lesson would be to the location Mega early as it is  well organised but so busy. By the time stuff was dropped off, toilets visited and the slow procession to the start pen, there was no time or space for any kind of warm up. It was 08:55, showtime.

The elites were introduced then bang, we were off. I was in the 3:00 - 3:15 pen quite near the front but still it took 4m to cross the line.

I had a 3:10 pace band, with 5k splits and my garmin showing miles as per training. My mantra for the race was simple 'hit your numbers' HR 160 - 170 and 7:10mm. 

The first 5k was manic, runners everywhere, much more congested that I had expected. First few miles were slower than target MP @ 7:25mm, zig zagging around trying to find a nice space.

Next 5 was similar in terms of congestion but By this time I had settled on a 7:15mm pace always tracking the blue line, the shortest route round the course. Passed 10k around a minute behind my 3:10 pace band but with HR @ a comfortable 155. 12k required a toilet stop, no idea why but it worked. I started to chase down the 30s or so lost time and found a nicer rhythm by the time I got to 15k the HR was still in the 150s but the pace was 7:07. So the signs were good.

The people lined the streets rows deep on the course and it seemed like every 3k there was water. The next milestone was HM which I came through in 1:36. I was really enjoying it at this stage, checking the numbers... All good so relax, smile and enjoy this part. 

15 - 19miles I felt strong and was tempted to go harder. But I managed to tame the inner chimp and convince him that it could lead to a tough last 10k, why not hold off and see how you feel at 21? I thought of BB's post where he talked about the marathon being a 21m MP race and a tough 10k race to finish. I felt ready for that Challenge today.

at 21 there were some casualties, but I didn't feel close I was still smiling and hitting the numbers maybe 162/3 on the HRM. I then felt confident to crank it up a bit 22/23/24 were in the 7:00's and the HR was bubbling at around 170. I took on my 4th and last gel at 37k and I knew the last 5k would be tough but at no point even considered backing off, I knew I had room in my numbers to sustain it.

In the final 3k it was the first time in any marathon that I felt that I was stronger than those around me, although was digging deep and took so much confidence from extending the strides out, just as P&D intended.  No racing going on but a couple of others were striding alongside. 

tbc

• Options

With 1k to go I was really using the strides training, too much, the HRM was at 200bpm, it was only 1000m but I'd blow up so I focussed on reducing the HR to 185, this occupied some time and when I looked up and refocused was at the Brandenburg gate, I powered on and crossed the line with a yaaaaaas! The clock said 3:14xx the Garmin said 3:11:31. I had smashed the PB by 10m  more importantly smashed 3:15.

There was a 3:08 in me yesterday, but that's what brings us back again and again!

• Options

PJF, great report too. Like the way you held back short of 20 miles and then when you pushed you knew you could go all the way to the end.

• Options

PJF - Excellent report and such a controlled marathon by you. There's more to come from you for sure! image

• Options

Lorenzo - I saw the super blood moon and was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. (Woke up at 3am and thought I'd have a peek).
    PJF - great report and must be a great confidence boost for the next one that you finished so strongly.
    Not doing well with my watch this week. Today the memory was full, but I didn't notice for a while. When I eventually did I had to try and work out how to delete some old sessions and then retraced my steps to see how much I'd missed. Ended up with an estimated 10.65 easy miles.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

morning all - few days away meant only 1 x 7 mile run last week , but back to it later on today.

Excellent racing by PJF I note - congrats on the PB image , and great report . . . . 

• Options

Nice report PJF and a good sign of things to come that you felt you could have got 3.08. But a 10 minute PB is awesome and the sub 3.10 more achievable next time round.

• Options
    That's great PJF, but what about the techno clubbing report?
  • Options

Well done again PJF - an object lesson in controlled running. Mission accomplished!

So Gul, how far would that run have been if you hadn't doubled back? image

6 easy yesterday, 6.5 today including 3 in 20:09 (6:43m/m) in the middle, just about half mara pace.

• Options

Well done PJF, cracking report and result. Well played!

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. September went something like this:
    Notice of redundancy - wife's b/day - wedding anniversary (had to scale back on both events) - redundancy confirmed - job hunting kicks off - eldest son goes to university - official notice period starts - job hunting highs and lows including one offer being withdrawn and another with sudden recruitment freeze...
    Friday - job offer
    Today...job offer accepted.
    It's also my birthday! image

Mental month. I managed to get 77 miles of running in which included a 13.1 thinking session on Saturday while I mulled over my job offer and other options. Got back and was surprised I'd knocked it out at 7.37 pace with just half a bottle of water. That was a balls out PB time years ago!

Still a few things to sort out but hopefully I'll be in a less stressed state from next week.

Time to read back and see what you've all been up to.

GD

• Options

PJF: loved that report.  A marathon going to plan, brilliantly paced and a mahoosive pb: it doesn't get much better than that image

Sounds like happier times chez G-Dawg, too.

• Options

GD - congrats on both the birthday and the job offer/acceptance. It's a trying time, but the other offers being withdrawn may well work out for the best; a sudden recruitment freeze may indicate it's not a place that's in the best financial position anyway. Hopefully getting something sorted relatively soon means there's some redundancy cash still in the bank? image

• Options

Nice one on the job front GD - congratulations.

And an excellent report from PJF which captures why Berlin is such a great city as well as a great race. One of the best finishes anywhere as you run through the history of our times. Should be on everyone's list, and very do-able from the UK.

The new bike is sitting in the kitchen. Forgotten how different cycling is from running. Hugest respect for duathletes and triathletes who are good at both.

• Options

Yeah - good news on the job front G-Dawg. I bet that's a relief and you've still got strong running in you as well.

Abbers, looks like you are going well. 

Slokey - here's the attempt at a techno club report. just for you image. Post marathon I got showered and my dad, my mate and I headed into an area called Alexanderplatz there was a Munick Oktoberfest style beer garden set up. So we devoured a couple of brockwurst and a few pints. we headed off (walking again) an decided to find a Thai that really hit the spot. Bear in mind I hadn't touched a drop since June left the wine menu to the guys that had allegedly done all the hard work, trape sing round Berlin trying to cheer me on. anyway wine was consumed and all were merry. we headed back East in a Taxi to the hotel. It was only 2100 and the night was young, so I suggested we go to a famous techno club Berghain that was a 10m walk. So we queued for 45m looking totally out of place amongst the German techno hipsters, as we got to the front the bouncers to both our surprise said Yah. So we were in ( only 25%get in apparently). Oh and they took our mobiles and put stickers over the cameras, strictly no video as or evidence was allowed to get back to the real world of what goes on. inside the club it was like Mad Max meets Frankie Goes to Hollywood.but no 80's music only 150 bpm banging techno in an industrial wasteland. Absolutely incredible, the short of it was we were out of our depth, way out of our depth! We lasted about an hour then headed back to bed for 12.30 but at least we did it! The club opens at 2000 on Thursday and stays open til 0600 Monday - the majority of kids inside didn't have a clue whether it was day or night! 

• Options

G-Dawg - Happy birthday and excellent news on the job front too! Hurrah!!image

Birch - Welcome back wondered where you had gone!

Abbers - Looking good!

Gul - That watch of yours keep you on your toes.image

5 mile trail run for me tonight in very sunny but super fresh windy conditions. Lovely run with some nice hills and the legs felt nice and fresh. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great report PJF- we love stories like that. Runners who do on the day what we all know to be true, a muture run holding back until 21 miles when the real run starts- you deserve the rewards. I love the detail of your dad snoring. I did not identify at all with your choice of post race nightclub image

I have had a very strange week. This op has knocked me back mentally and physicaly (I am a really dreadful patient) and it might take a while to get my confidence back and run in anger. It's not really about running, it's the impact on a fit and healthy chap of suddenly feeling week and feeble.