Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Fantastic, KR - great report, too - well done

• Options
    Excellent work KR - I think if I'd succumbed to sleep I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the course again - no way I'd have been able to start moving again after the previous day.

2 full on bike sessions yesterday - one hard spin at lunch and an evening turbo

Same again today

I still can't run so am controlling the controllables. Planning to peak cardio wise by drilling the bike every day and tweak diet to drop a few pounds to be ultra lean - minimises the damage caused by having probably 2 peak weeks off running (maybe more). Some last minute strength and conditioning work will have to balance out the lack of condition in the running legs.
  • Options

Well done KR, 80 miles on that course is a great achievement. 

• Options

Amazing KR - really pushing the boundaries, too far for me! Total respect.

• Options

KR- that's an amazing amount of miles ,time for a rest now image

went to physio and was introduced to balance pods and weights to torture my knee some more and it worked ! ..had sore knee for 2 days after .. nuff said really image

• Options

SJ - sounds like a plan.
    Leslie - ouch!
    3 recovery miles d&d.

• Options

Great run there KR and 80+ miles is over 3 marathons which is 2 full marathons more than I have run in a day and ever intend to do. Also puts into perspective badbark's silly last one standing. Don't know if you followed his link but the basic idea is a 4.2 mile loop which you start on the hour and have to do within a hour: piss easy if you ask me: I'd knock that off in 35 minutes at a jog. Trouble is, you then do it again the next hour on the hour, and so on. The race organisers expect everyone to DNF apart from the winner. Mad, mad, madbark!

Like many others, this week has been punctuated by trips to get the Jones offspring to their various seats of learning. This has meant a few longer runs to pad the days when no running has happened. Got my first sub 7:30 pace long run in: best part of 13 miles @7:26 pace on Tuesday in an absolute downpour. For a sub 3, MP+10% is 7:33 so starting to find the groove.

• Options

Slokey - shame about the continued injury issues, but sounds like you have a sensible back up plan, so keep hitting the bike work!

GM - the Aussies only did what they needed to yesterday, no more; they didn't look that impressive against a Fiji side who ran out of steam in the 2nd half (understandably, given that they'd only played England 5 days before). Given the team named by Lancaster for the match against Wales, I'm now dreading Saturday night! Hope they prove me wrong.

KR - mind boggling. Inspiring stuff! Hope you're able to move reasonably freely by now.

Gul - building nicely again then. Are you looking for a mara or half as your next target? I know it was going to be an autumn mara, but revised plans?

Leslie - keep following doctor's orders... it's a drag though, I know!

PMJ - good pace on your MLR there. Dialled in nicely.

So a less than healthy day out in Cardiff yesterday, but I did at least manage to get in an easy 7 miles in the Forest before going, so it wasn't a completely bad day!

• Options
    Abbers wrote (see)

PMJ - good pace on your MLR there. Dialled in nicely.

Thanks for pointing out that my long run is only a medium oneimage

• Options

ha - no slight intended PMJ! image I'm never sure what the threshold is for an MLR becoming an LR. My longest runs are only about 15 miles in HM build up, so I'm not sure I should really categorise those as LRs either. It's all relative to the other distances you run I suppose.

• Options

Abbers - Yes, you're right, the Aussie like the All Blacks just did enough for the victory although the Argies gave the AB's a bit of a fright there. I am really looking forward to Eng V Wales, it's such a big game and I can't figure out who will go through from that group. The Irish group is probably the most straight forward and barring any disasters we and France should sail through. We need a win against the French though to avoid a potential qtr final with NZ. It's all very exciting and sounds like fun being there too. Good to get a run in as well!

KR - How does the body feel now?

PMJ - Solid 13 mile run there. I shall be doing a 13 miler this Sunday but @ a much slower pace!

SJ - Good work on the XT'ing!

A trip to the Queen of pain yesterday to try sort out my very stiff and sore calf muscles. She elbowed and prodded me for 30 mins, it was very sore but I quite enjoyed it! Hopefully I should see them loosen up a bit in the next few days.10k trail/cliffpath run with a friend last night,weather was perfect and actually felt strong on some of the climbs.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great report KR, amazing effort, but I am not at all tempted to try.

Still staying low after the Operation on my hand. I probably could manage a couple of miles but with the discomfort and painkillers it does not seem a good option. Hopefully will all be good in a few days.

• Options
    Abbers wrote (see)

ha - no slight intended PMJ! image I'm never sure what the threshold is for an MLR becoming an LR. My longest runs are only about 15 miles in HM build up, so I'm not sure I should really categorise those as LRs either. It's all relative to the other distances you run I suppose.

In P&D terms, the long run is 16+ miles and the MLR is there to reinforce long runs. As I am not doing any P&D long runs, I can't be doing an MLR, so my MLR is actually my long run and I am disappearing down a circular argument ...

Anyhow, just short of 7 at lunchtime for a pleasing 26.3 so far this week. #2 to Cambridge on Saturday and then Ireland vs Romania on Sunday means I need a reasonable run tomorrow and a quick parkrun Saturday morning to hit a moderate 40 miles.

• Options
    "Enjoy" the rest OO. Is your drinking hand ok?

Nice weekend plans PMJ.

I was treated to a leg pummelling by my good lady earlier today and found some very tender spots on my calf which received appropriate attention. 2 hrs on the bike this evening and the leg felt great so had a go on the treadmill. It felt fine at first but the second minute was quite painful so cut it short.
  • Options

PMJ - nice pace for your MLR! I think you'll find that P&D long runs start at 17 miles.
    Abbers - ideally looking for a marathon, but a HM in the build-up would be good too!
    GM - hope it was worth the pain.
    OO - glad it went okay.
    SJ - massage is obviosuly in at the moment.
    No run for me today - had some other stuff to do this morning.

• Options

45mins this morning with 6 X strides, carby breakfast then off to the airport. Talking of rugby I wonder whether the Berliners will be tuned into the Wales vs England match 2moro? I'm sure I'll find a pub.

• Options

PJF - Enjoy and good luck!

• Options

Thanks GM - I could have benefited from some of your calf treatment magic!

• Options
    Hey, best of luck this weekend PJF!
  • Options

I think I need to visit the Queen of pain too GM - nice trail run

Knee torture sounds very uncomfortable Leslie

A good paced long run there PMJ, weren't you doing 7.5miles in 7.30's a while back as a regular run?

Hope your recovery is swift 0052

Best of luck to you this weekend PJF!

Not run all week and body feeling a lot better now thanks, although both my calves still feel quite tight. Contemplating a run tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Plan is to enter the Leicester marathon at the end of October, which only gives me about 2 weeks of training, then a 2 week taper. I also have a small operation to deal with on 7th October, so my taper might start earlier. So I need  to do some marathon specific training in the next couple of weeks. But at the same time I'm not putting any time target in my head either and to just enjoy the race.

• Options

PFJ - all the best tomorrow - go smash it!
    KR - glad to hear you're recovering OK. What is the course profile like in Leicester? Not a million miles away from me, so a possibility one of these years.
    Busy weekend here celebrating Mrs GD's parents Golden Wedding. Got to bed late, and Mrs GD told me she still needed a couple of things for tomorrow, but no time to get them now. So I graciously offered to pop to Tesco's early this morning - so that's 10 miles with 10 x 1 min efforts with 1 min recoveries d&dimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:21 at the parkrun.Very happy with that after a difficult week. Still going to skip the half tomorrow and have a lomg steady run.

• Options

Belated congrats to KR. Awesome performance - I take my hat off to you.

Another impressively early start from Gul - did you pop into Tesco as part of the run and if so, were the 1 min efforts up and down the aisles?!

Very decent parkrun from OO - I'd be more than happy with that.

Haven't had much chance to post this week as it's been a bit manic but I've managed to get a fair bit of early morning running in and with an easy run tomorrow I'm looking at 60 miles for the week.

I decided to go for a progressive run this morning, picking up the pace after an estimated 6 mile warm up and surprised myself a bit by managing just over 15 miles (including the warm up) at a very pleasing average pace of 7:09. image

Is it too early to start worrying about the rugby yet?!

• Options

Nice parkrun, OO.

I was wondering the same as Lorenzo about Gul's Tesco exploits.  Selfie next time, please!

13.5M incl 5 x 1M off 3 minutes last night and then dragged my tired legs around 14M this morning.  Bleurgh.  Now sat at my desk trying to (a) summon up some productivity and (b) not just stare out of the window wistfully at the glorious weather.  Sigh.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good pace there Lorenzo. It will be an early meal out tonight then settle down for Rugby

• Options
    Great run KR. The course looks tough though - those kind of descents hammer the muscles. Seems like you enjoyed it and made a good decision to sleep rather than run into oblivion. Hope you recover well ready for the next one.

Go well PJF

A hard 10 mile off road race in the military training area for me this morning. Loose dirt road then Rocky dirt road and by the time the hard packed dirt road came I had overdone it and no speed possible. Hot at 23C and 2 big hills as well. Pace between 4:06 per km and 5:26 owing to the terrain. Hard but enjoyable - finished in 1:18 which was a bit disappointing but reflecting the terrain and conditions.. Also the best value race ever - t-shirt, a fantastic medal, cool drink at the end and on course - 10 rand entry fee or 50p in real money. Also the start finish line was marked by 2 armoured personnel carriers
  • Options

Lorenzo - That is a very fast 15. When are you racing a marathon? Must be close to a sub 3 marathon with that kind of run!?  60 is some going, I'd be tempted to eek out another 2.15 miles to make it 100k for the week.image

Gul  - You always seem to find a way to get it done and everyone else happy. Keep up the good work!

OO - Excellent park run after a tough week.

Bike it - Sounds like a good 10 miler. 1 rand per mile plus the extras! Lekker!

Jools - Diligent as ever, nearly there!

Hectic weekend here what with parental duties etc which included rising early for swimming academy, then 40 min break then football training for the cub, then home for 30 mins and then back out West to take my cub to Rugby and he was part of U8's guard of honour for Jersey vs Bristol match and then they got to play tag at half time. Dragged my carcass along with said cub down to the track for 5k at MP and it felt ok and then he wanted to play some more football! He's my inspiration to keep fit if I ever needed one. I think the last few weeks have caught up on me and now need to try and keep things low key for the next 5 days or so.

• Options

Thoughts on the rugby - bug*er, bug*er, bug*er. image

BI - 50p entry? OMG! Sounds like a tough workout though.

GM - I'm doing the Phoenix Riverside Marathon on 22 Nov. Only about 150 people in it, but it's up and down the Thames path a few times so I'd imagine that there'll be a few spectators on the route wondering why the runners can't make up their minds which way they're going. 

TBH I'm not yet in the right shape to be able to attempt a sub-3 in the autumn but if this training plan and the higher mileage works for me then I'll give it a damned good go in the Spring.

Sounds like you've had a busy day today - agree with you that staying fit enough to run around with the young 'un is an excellent motivation, along with people like this gent: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/34357191 

• Options

OO - nice parkrun.
    Lorenzo - like a supermarket dash? No, sorry to disappoint, but I paused the watch while I did the shopping. Great progressive run.
    Jools - nice MLR double. Selfie? Well I had to use the self-service because none of the checkouts were open at that time in the morning!
    Bike It - sounds like a tough one, so well done.
    GM - crazy manic! BTW An extra 2.14 would be sufficient for 100kimage
    7 slow miles this morning to make 45 for the week.

• Options

Not much running to report, but keeping fit by building large structures in heavy timber and mastering the art of using a scary circular saw. Quick read back:

Still reeling from GM's wedding snap
    Welcome to the OG50 world PMJ - the competition drops off now and you will undoubtedly be a regular age group champ
    Bike It - you are putting in great efforts, and at altitude in the heat. Are you aiming for close to 8hrs or possibly even a 7:XX?
    Impressed by Blisters' epic - KR's monster endurance (100miles beckons...)

Meanwhile, calling all bike experts. I finally found the time to buy a (slightly unusual folding) mountain bike but not having cycled for many years I haven't a clue about where to go for good-value kit, which bits of clothing are essential, what lights to get, etc etc.  In effect a bike newbie, not planning to race or do Slokey-Style challenges but to enjoy and stay fit & safe on/off road. Any advice welcome, however obvious.