Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

MSE, your lapproach in Berlin has some echoes of my Hull Marathon though much further up the laid back scale. You have a few races to choose from but as PMJ said better to aim your best effort at the faster run. With 2 or three weeks between them you can also afford to push hard if you turn at any of them feeling great on the day.

Back to business this week with 3 runs in the bag and 19 miles already bagged, none of them showing any return of pace. Off to the Lakes this weekend no doubt doing the parkrun and run round Derwentwater on Sunday. 

Glad your legs are coming back strong Leslie, mine are still in denial.     

• Options
    Just a quick note before I read back. Just got confirmation of my Boston place. Not all qualifiers got in but my time put me in the younger age group so it was comfortable in the end.

The whole family want to go to this race...via New York! Best get saving.

GD
  • Options

MsE - Not going too mad here don't worry.image Just trying to squeeze some running in while i have the chance. Gosport looks like a good option to me. Should give you enough recovery time after Berlin and enough time to try out some faster sessions. 

Jools - Sounds hectic. When do you get to Chicago? A friend of mine is doing it.and will see her complete her full set of major marathons, with NY being here quickest at 3:07.

OO - Sounds like a great weekend coming up. 

Leslie - Making progress there.

Abbers - Nice session banked. 

Jersey marathon on Sunday and it looks like the weather will be perfect if the forecast doesn't change. Interesting to see the runners of note. A Russian who has won it the past two years is back and he has the course record of 2:18, he's aiming for a hat trick but there are some Kenyans in the mix with quicker pb's although they have found out the past couple of years that it's not an easy course. On the women's side it looks like a one horse race with the quickest being a Kenyan as well, with a 2:40 pb. Last year there was a notable absence of quick ladies and 3rd place ran 3:25 and won quite a bit of cash. Would be cool to see some of the faster ladies from the thread over here running a quick time and potentially picking up a podium spot and and all expenses paid trip plus extras. I'd love to run it next year again, here's hoping. image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice.  I think I will see what plans I can adapt with a view to testing the gears in Gosport.  Hideous race photos arrived showing how much my form has slipped (back to strength work) and how lardy I have become BUT I also spotted the lady who I helped in Berlin in there and was pleased to see she finished!  image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg wrote (see)
    Just a quick note before I read back. Just got confirmation of my Boston place. Not all qualifiers got in but my time put me in the younger age group so it was comfortable in the end.

GD

This is exciting news for the Dawg family image!  I recommend you look into booking that hotel early.  Prices rocket around marathon time and the best deals go quickly.  It is the Holy Grail for many in the US who try their whole running careers to get into Boston.  Congrats!

• Options

Abbers - I'm sure the 6x800 reps will have benefited you even if you didn't quite hit the pace you were aiming at.
    MsE - I would also say aiming to "peak" for Gosport and taking a more relaxed approach to the Dorset Coastal seems like a good plan.
    Jools - busy, busy - at least you're in the taper now!
    Leslie - looking promising!
    OO - have a nice weekend in the Lake District.
    GD - great news!
    GM - sounds like a good race in prospect.
    8 miles with 13 x 0.2M intervals this morning. Did a few less than last week as I'm hoping to do parkrun on Saturday and didn't want to overdo it! Not quite as fast as I did them along the towpath in Leeds, peaking at 1:07 as opposed to 1:03. Will also need a mini-taper next week as I've now entered the Peterborough HM (Great Eastern Run) a week on Sunday (9th Oct).

• Options

Great news about Boston, GD.  It's on my list, although it would have to be a year when my club hasn't got aspirations of a team title at London (or if I'm too slow to have a chance of being 3rd scorer!).

Just about got 5 miles with 6 sets of strides done.  Got back home post-rehearsal and realised the schedule said 10 sets.  Ah well.

• Options

Jools - just as well you're into your taper; sounds like life is getting in the way of running a bit! Don't think missing a couple of sets of strides is going to make much difference at this stage!

MsE - definitely target Gosport. Fast & flat, as long as there's not a horrible sea gale on the coast. Think others on here have done it before (Lorenzo springs to mind if I recall?).

Leslie - good progressive 10 there, ending with some quite nippy miles.

OO - enjoy your weekend! Forecast is reasonable, so you might get some good running conditions.

GD - congrats on the Boston place. How's your recovery going?

Gul - still a good session; suspect your HM time at Peterborough will be a tad quicker than mine in Salisbury!

7 at lunch including a 5 mile tempo section. Oddly came out at exactly the same 34:37 overall time as the same session last week, although all the mile splits were different. Not sure if it was my imagination, but felt a little more comfortable too.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg wrote (see)

GD

Joolska wrote (see)

Great news about Boston, GD.  It's on my list, although it would have to be a year when my club hasn't got aspirations of a team title at London (or if I'm too slow to have a chance of being 3rd scorer!).

Just about got 5 miles with 6 sets of strides done.  Got back home post-rehearsal and realised the schedule said 10 sets.  Ah well.

If you wait till you are an old biddy (like me), and still run sub-2:50, you may be eligible for an elite bib.  A friend of mine who is 47 has run with the elites on two occasions now and has qualified again next April.  Her PB is 2:48.  She has the most amazing race photos where she is in a group with the likes of Flanagan and Linden plus notable Kenyans and Ethiopians! She then runs the rest of the race on her own image

• Options

GD that's fab news. A special event on a tricky course and as had been said, the really big one for the US counterparts of people like us. Better get booking - Boston isn't that big a city and the race falls on a holiday long weekend. If you can stay walking distance from Boston Common it will help on race day morning.

While you are at it, look at tickets for the Red Sox - Fenway Park is one of the country's most historic sports grounds and walking distance from the city centre. A night at the baseball is great fun.  You can book online and print out a ticket/barcode.

Nice reps Lorenzo - I thought at first that starting at 1.30 was an attempt to out-Gul the king of the early starters. 

Nice tempo-ing Abbers

Gul at last you have entered a race. what is the target? P'boro is pretty flat so surely a PB attempt.

Joolska, missing a few reps is nothing - les jeux sont just about faits by now, just need to stay out of trouble.

Back in the UK - blowing a hooly on the Northumberland coast, not much fun after the lovely Adriatic weather last week. Bah.

• Options

MsE - Your friend is a bit good! Did she start running in her latter years or was she always fast? Must be amazing just seeing those gazelles in action. 

Poacher - Welcome back to the Northern hemisphere. It really is autumn now. 

Gul - Great news re your half entry. Will be great to race and capitalize on your great training. Did you run your pb on that course? 

Abbers  - Good tempo run.

Another double for me today. 5.2k hilly lunch run. 1:45 quicker than the previous day and felt a lot better. Out tonight again for a 4.2 mile hilly run, wore my compression socks for the 1st time in ages. It's a tough run that, start climbing about 1/2 a mile in and climb to about 270ft in the next mile and a half. Felt sluggish to begin with but once I reached the top I felt good and cruised back down to sea level. Found my rhythm and 7:15's for the last mile and a half felt easy. Got my boy back in the morning so no more running now until park run. Hopefully the legs should recover in time to give it some.     

• Options

Jools - is Chicago on the 9th?
    Abbers - good sign that it felt more comfortable - onwards and upwards!
    Poacher - Yes, it's flat, but it's also where I set my PB 3 years ago when I wasn't a MV50! Have a vague idea of aiming for 6:30 m/m which would give me a minute or so in hand on my current PB.
    GM - sounds like a good session. All the best for parkrun.
    Can it really be the last day of September already?! 5 recovery miles d&d to bring up 256 miles for the month (passed 2000 for the year on Monday, I think).

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Was thinking the same Poacher- wouldn't have fancied the Humber Bridge yesterday image

Congrats GD, Boston was on my list too, just a shame it's so close to London.

I had a decent session yesterday- first time my legs felt a bit quicker.   

• Options

Boston tends to fall on either the day after London, or the Monday before (as in 2017). There are generally a few people at VLM wearing a Boston shirt or jacket and it's definitely possible to do both in a week, although the chances of a PB at either would be very slim. But doing 2 maras in different continents 6 days apart is a nice challenge.

• Options

Yes, Chicago is the 9th.  Last session last night: supposed to be 3 x 1M but club session of 3 x 2.2 km was close enough, and certainly easier than solo efforts! It's an undulating loop, but I was certainly consistent: 8.23, 8.20 and 8.21 for the 3 loops.

Off for a gentle 6M shortly and then sports massage this afternoon.  Will work tomorrow in lieu of achieving little today.

• Options

Great report G-Dawg and congratulations again on your new PB. Good news on the Boston place.

Like the spontaneous driveway reps Lorenzo, you must have looked a nutter to anyone looking out of their window.

Good session Abbers, always good to get the session completed from a mental point of view.

Well done on the double run & early start GM, fitness should return building it back up like that.

Nice progression run Leslie.

Go for it in Gosport MsE!

Impressive monthly mileage Gul

Another week of sporadic running so far trying to fit in around busy at work and family stuff. Did a progressive 7 miler this morning starting off at 8.27 and finishing in 7.12. Not sure how I'll fit my long run in this weekend?

• Options

Month up as Gul says. 178.9 miles for me at an average pace of 7:45 and just over 1,700 for the year: well off 2,000 so impressive total from Gul. I'd like another 500 in the last 3 months to top 2,200.

Caught up with a guy at lunchtime today and passed a few pleasantries and then he said "Enjoy your run" and meant "Now sod off and leave me alone!".

• Options

Gul -nice miles and a race at last image

PMJ- chasing down runners again image

Stats for Sept:

only 95 miles, what a crap month ! image with 1176m for the year to date ..

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

ano month curtailed by CNBA  -  136 miles ;  YTD = 1543  . . . .

• Options

For those of us who are less adventurous there is now also the Boston, Linconshire marathonimage It would be ideal for me in 2017, but it falls on my wedding anniversary (April 17th)!
    Jools - consistent indeed. Looking very good - really hope it all goes to plan for you.
    KR - all the best trying to fit in your long run this weekend.
    PMJ - nice mileage. As Leslie says, you are forming a habit!
    Leslie - October will be better!
    Birch - here's hoping October sees you finding more motivation. Impending XC season may help!
    7 miles inc. parkrun this morning. Found myself on the shoulder one of the faster guys during the first lap and was thinking I must be going at a suicidal pace. Lap 1 in 5:54, so a bit fast but not too OTT. Still on this guy's shoulder and we swapped places a few times during the 2nd lap as he seemed to be lagging at points. 2nd lap in 6:03. Then he started to pull away and had obviously been holding back! Managed to keep in him sight for a while which helped me maintain my pace and then started closing in on a couple of other runners. 3rd lap in 6:01. Couldn't quite catch either of them, but ran the last stretch in 0:44 to finish in 10th place and an unofficial PB of 18:42. Certainly chuffed with that as it would be a 12 second PB!

• Options

Nice parkrun PB Gul. Whatever they do, they won;t steal 12 seconds off you.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - nice mileage. As Leslie says, you are forming a habit!

Not sure it is a good habit. Seem to be unable to do an easy run at the moment, Monday was supposedly easy and was 7:30 pace, the Tuesday a handicap race at about 6:17 pace, then the next 3 days averages of 7:35, 7:29, 7:24. Today was pacing parkrun at 21 minutes and then an extra 5k lap in 24 minutes as cool down.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Excellent parkrun Gul!  Congratulations! image

• Options

Gul - The hay is in the barn now that's a cracking time ,well done and looking very promising for that half  image October should certainly be better for me (I Hope) 

PMJ for a man of your ability 7:30m/mile  is your easy pace and will seem very easy especially if you are doing no other speed work to tire yourself out .It doesn't seem very long ago you were targeting a 2:50 mara ! Was he a celeb then or are you sworn to secrecy  image ?

13.1 mile this morn, 6c and very misty Autumn is a coming image,hands were froze for first 2 miles !

4m easy,  4m steady as I saw 2 runners in the distance then did a PMJ image and dropped the hammer to catch em ,said hello on the way past  but after that put as much distance as I could between us with a 7m/mile then a 6:30 mile 10 which as all in image then 3 steady again (7:20) 

13.1 in 1:37:40 which is not much slower than my last half !

• Options

Super stuff Gul - no wonder you're chuffed.

I fancy doing Boston one day GD but London keeps enticing me - sounds as though you'll have a fab time.

Funny old week for me so far with Lichfield followed by easy runs in York (along the banks of the Ouse) and Taunton to take me up to 167 miles and 1,698 for the year so far so just behind PMJ.

19 miles off road this morning, heading over to Leith Hill, up it and back. Got caught in the rain but being off road made it a pleasant run. Threw in a sub 7:00 last mile as well.

• Options

Leslie - nice going!
    Lorenzo - looking good for Beachy Head!
    18:42 is my official time today.
    Fastest 500 makes for interesting reading.

171 Stehen John HARRINGTON  18:42
    203 Philip Morris JONES 18:52

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - congrats, that's an excellent park run time. Must be a very high WAVA as well?

No such heroics from me 20:03. 19:42 at 5k on the garmin and knew I'd have to sprint to try get under 20. Wasn't to be but a bit of progress, so not too bad. Conditions were tough, very strong wind and soggy on the trail section meant hopping over huge puddles and felt more like XC today. Luckily the 40mph winds we are having today are to drop to 10mph for the marathon tomorrow. Would have been pretty grim if it was today.
  • Options
    Leslie H wrote (see)

PMJ Was he a celeb then or are you sworn to secrecy  image ?

Just general pacing: first Saturday of the month all paces form 19 minutes to 38.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

Leslie - nice going!
    Lorenzo - looking good for Beachy Head!
    18:42 is my official time today.
    Fastest 500 makes for interesting reading.

171 Stehen John HARRINGTON  18:42
    203 Philip Morris JONES 18:52

I'll give you that for the moment but the other stat is you have 23 runs there and I have 1 and my one is faster than all but one of yoursimage  I'll have to come back when I am in form and put up a better marker.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Well, as parkrun mentioned,(big congrats, Gul)  I'm honour bound to report a shocker today ( can't just report the pleasing ones) image   (but there is a bit of context)  . . .

After my recent CNBA  "attacks", on thurs I gave myself a talking to, and did my "efforts in the park" ;  4 miles worth of 1/2 mile & mile efforts, followed by 5 hills of between 300 & 400m  . SO, the VoGit legs were trashed today, even after a 6 mile "recovery" run y'day,  so to today

10 miles with chums before the parkrun (but this not unusual), wasn't sure whether to start, but thought JFDI better than CNBA, so lumbered round on my "wooden" limbs - 23.11 official, prob about 23.00 actual, as I started back a bit.

Only 3rd VoGit , scraped 70% WAVA as a (slight) consolation.  

Still, the mile very slow jog home gave me 14 to start the month, so onwards & upwards 

Bit of a "me" post, but as fairly quiet on here today, don't feel too guilty image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - Good start to the month. If it's any further consolation, my 20:03 only yielded 69%, so quite a bit more work to be done here. Keep going and I'm sure you'll be back up there again. If there was ever a day to win a park run today was it. A lot of the really fast runners missing mainly due to the marathon taking place tomorrow and I'm sure the weather probably put a few off. The winning time was 18:57. Gul's time today would have won it easily.

Gul - What's your local one? Is it on or off road, or a mix of both? One guy who came 2nd today was a visitor and he said his Garmin had 5.12k, even allowing for a 1% error, it's obviously a bit long as I'm sure a lot are. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! image