Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - hope you're in fine form for Monday.
    Can't make parkrun this morning, so went out early instead. Tried out the first 7.5 miles of a potential run to work route, including a bridleway I've never checked out before. 15 miles @ 8:00m/m d&d.
  • Options
    What's with all the white space Gul?
  • Options
    Poacher - as I've now got the pass out from Mrs L, I feel as though I'll have to sign up for the Ultra in the Peaks. Great if you could make it as well!

OO - you're becoming a track addict! Decent ranking on Power of 10 as well.

Banstead Woods parkrun for me this morning - an enjoyable 2 lapper through the woods with a sharpish uphill halfway round (the start is about halfway up it). Paced it sensibly and then had a flat out last few hundred metres to hold off someone who was finishing fast. Finished in 9th place in 19:43, just a shade outside my PB for the course - reasonably happy with that.

Planning a decent bike ride tomorrow morning assuming the weather is OK.
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    badbark, now it is a week or so later, can you expand on your comments in regard to mental approach. In marathon training, it is said the best time to do a 21 mile run is when have already done 20. Reading your report, there was a lot of that, so once you got to 100 miles (about 160km) then you aimed at 4 marathons (104.8 miles or nudging toward 170km) and then eventually 200km + (and wow, wow, wow!).

But there was also some talk of "may well as do it now as I am never going to do it again".

So, now the dust has settled, does looking back at it encourage you to have another go and. if so, what mental training are you going to do? Next time out there won't be any new ground until you are well into the 24 hours and there is a risk that you may set intermediate times which are not so fast.

Yes, I think it’s likely I’ve have another go at 24 hours. I’ve no doubt I’m capable of breaking 220k to qualify internationally.

I definitely got the mental side of things right this time. However, it wasn’t something completely new I doing. I always break up my races into smaller sections and mentally stay in that section. In shorter races I stay in the mile, concentrating on hitting the exact pace planned. In the ultra it was easier as I never had to worry about exact pace. I just had to think about completing each distance goal.

On looking back, one mistake I did make was thinking about the unchartered territory, of more than my previous longest run, of 75 miles. I found miles 80 to 100 some of the toughest because I’d never run that far before. After 100 when I got running again, I never thought of the miles I had done. It was all about the miles I could do in the time left.

So if I was to run 24 hours again, I believe the fact that I’ve run 134 miles would really help. I wouldn’t be entering new ground until late on, when the finish line would be mentally in sight. Next time, I'll be racing not just running. :)

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    16 miles on the trails this morning. Found a few new ones and ended up in Sunningdale.
    Bought a Salomon ADV Skin 5 running backpack for a £43 discount on Amazon this week and gave it a test today. Worked well, best enter an ultra.

Despite the slower pace I can really feel the strength work on the trails in my legs which is why I'm doing it. All good.

Nice parkrun Lorenzo, great time.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I'll ever have that problem BB I've never run beyond 27 miles.
    18:59 at parkrun. That second seems important!:
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    0054 hope the hip is well greased up for monday
    Gerard I had 2 track sessions but an easy day in between 
    Gul first 7.5m ,just how far is it too work,that would be min 15 a day ?
    Lorenzo nice parkrun on a tough sounding course.
    Badbark 75 to 134 mile is a bit of a long distance pb !
    Gdawg goodluck with the ultra training.
    something funny about the formatting today,can't get my comments inline !

Away most of yesterday and it was bucketing down when I got in and my leg was  a bit sore with walking all day so took a rest day and an easy 5 today, would need to get a long run in tomorrow.

• Options
    Very sound approach there Madbark - might have to try that one. I normally breakdown the last few miles of a marathon into smaller chunks (e.g. 3 x 2 miles) but have never done it from the word go.

G-Dawg - here's one for you: https://www.surreyhillschallenge.com/events/the-ultra

I've done many parts of the route and it's a very attractive one. Interesting to hear that you're impressed by the Salomon 5L pack - I'm looking at getting myself a new pack and have got my eye on the 12L version. Is yours the one that looks like this:

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's it! My pals who do Ultra said I wouldn't need the 12 and the 5 would do.

I dunno?
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - strange. I'm sure that wasn't there earlier!
    Lorenzo - good parkrun.
    Badbark - your strategy certainly seemed to work.
    GD - what's the capacity of that backpack? Sounds like a good offer. OKay, just seen Lorenzo's reply! 5 litres then
    OO - crucial second indeed.
    Leslie - I should have explained. We' re moving offices around September time from Swaffham to King's Lynn (0.75 miles from my house!) and I've always thought I'd like to do a run to work so it's now or never! So it would just be a one off. About 17 miles there and 17 miles back. Enjoy your long run - hope the rain holds off.
    5 mile recovery d&d. 49 for the week.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    What on earth do you want to fill a 12L backpack with, Lorenzo?  Surely the smaller the better to encourage you to have as light a load as possible. I was watching one of Killian Jornet's epic runs and he had just a 0.5L water bladder as he said he could refill at three points. I know he is like a camel but he has a point.

I had a read back and (hurray!) everyone seems to be pootling along quite nicely on here. Power to the thread (fist pump).  Notable mentions include: Gul's decent weekly mileage (out of the marathon season!) and a nice MLR at a decent clip; OO maintaining his fleetness of foot; Lorenzo seeming to get that little bit faster despite being an ultrarunner now and signing up to the Brecon Beacons (will be stunning); GD getting the full body workout that comes with trail running while still knocking out decent paced MLRs (Berlin is going to be awesome as long as you manage those niggles); Leslie committing to his sub-3 at Dublin (it's in the bag with workouts like the one you did last week); Gerard bringing his team home in a triathlon relay with a fast time and planning ahead to see where he can do his 22 miler in Majorca (Strava segments are good to check this sort of thing out in advance); Andy signing up to the Venice marathon (friend who did it said the same thing as OO but hopefully they will have smoothed it over by now). 

On Thursday (11 weeks after I had my ankle op) I was cleared by the physio to try a run walk session.  I have done two since then on the treadmill (to make sure I am on a level surface) consisting of 11 or 12 reps of 1 min w/1 min walk recs.  Time will tell whether this is the start of my comeback but it feels good to be running even if it is only for 60 secs at a time.  Am making sure I strengthen the core, glutes and calf muscles like a nutter in the meantime.  

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Achilles tendinopathy sufferers, this is a really good overview of how to treat your condition.  I have found that it never quite leaves you once you have damaged the tendon, so worth bearing in mind where your threshold lies.  http://www.running-physio.com/achilles-risk-factors/
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo 12L is 12kg and that's a lot of blubber to be hauling about !
    GUL 0.75m from the house sounds brilliant leaving more time for training , a 34m farewell to your old place sure why not ! Nice weekly total.
    MSE that's great you really are on the road back now just don't overdo it I know how keen you are to ramp
     Will have to set a target nearer the time as sub 3 seems like a HUGE ask just now but things can change as we know ,will get there sooner or later !

15m today no rain (thanks Gul) and quite warm 17c at the end ,cracking day for a run , 7:57 average and got a few miles in around 7:20 and 4 mile of really tough hills in too but struggling towards the end as my longest run has only been 10m recently so it was a bit of a shock and my left hammy is back to complaining a bit as usual .

48 mile for the week .

• Options
    Point taken folks, but looking at the list of compulsory kit, there's a fair amount of it although I might be able to squeeze everything into a 5L pack. Not sure I'm able to compare myself to Killian Jornet, especially given his latest exploits of winning the Hardrock 100 (miles) despite dislocating his shoulder after 13 miles. The guy's a machine!

Sounds like a great new commuting distance to have Gul - it means you might be able to have a bit of a lie-in now! 17 miles run into work is eminently do-able; not sure I'd fancy doing the return leg though.

Glad to hear you're back up and running MsE - next race an Ultra?! ;)

Good stuff from Leslie - hope your hammy stops complaining soon.

2 wheels this morning with 56 miles on the bike - lumpy rather than hilly (apart from the short sharp 20% climb about 2 miles from home) to leave me with a total of 25 miles running and 76 miles cycling for the week.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    So glad you are back MSE , will be interesting to see your progress.
    Track tonight, not sure what to expect.
    Poacher, are we on for the smackdown at the Coastal next weekend?
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Morning all!  Excellent pace despite the hills, Leslie.  That's a great bike ride, Lorenzo.   I hope this morning's rolled ankle on your Strava run wasn't too serious?  Ice and compress to be cautious.  Have a good session tonight at the track, OO.  I am hoping I can get some track work in when I am stronger. I always had to keep away with my injuries before surgery but maybe I can return. I hope so as I love working out there.  Another TM run-walk effort for me this morning.  10 x 60 sec bursts.  Those 60 secs feel absolutely wonderful.  I'll do some calf, core and glutes work later.  I need to keep strengthening as I can feel the right side is weaker.  The arch of the foot needs attention as it is much weaker and affecting my cadence for example.  
  • Options
    Small steps MsE but in the right direction. I was marshalling at a 10k / half yesterday (3.5k from the finish) and one of your Guildford & Godalming teammates, Tom Griffiths, came flying by on the lead of the 10k by some considerable distance but then, oddly, started to walk up a hill before running on again. He ended up second and must have dropped 1.5 minutes to the eventual winner over those last 3.5k.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - great to hear you've got the all clear for walk/run!
    Leslie - good MLR. Hope the hammy is okay.
    Lorenzo - some cracking joint mileage for the week there.
    OO - ooh, we love a thread smackdown. Hope you're up for it Poacher.
    Stage 2 of the run to work route this morning. Only 4.5 miles further along to the 12 mile point (then back to make 9 for the morning). Not far off MP this morning @ 7:40 m/m. Annoying that I lose 30 mins driving there and back. Might be able to try the rest of the route by driving early to work and then running out and back.
  • Options
    MsE - thanks. Just one of those things whilst I was running down an uneven path about halfway round so carried on running (easy pace) and then stuck a pack of frozen peas on it while having breakfast. Fingers crossed that and the ibuprofen gel will do the trick. It's the other ankle to the one I kept spraining a couple of years ago, so at least I'm evened up now!

Sounds like you're putting a fair amount of thought into the commuting run Gul.

Ended up with just under 5 miles easy this morning - suspect I might be back out on the bike tomorrow.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good to hear things are generally ok for regular posters here.  I am still in the process of gradually regaining fitness and finding my mojo.  45 miles last week over 5 sessions.  I feel a bit more keen to run this week, so here is hoping!  
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Frozen peas for breakfast- nice Lorenzo!

We're all shouting Mojo at our screens Jools- of course you'll be back flying soon.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Very busy w/end this end. Took my son to see Olly Murs in concert on Saturday night, played tennis with him Sunday, bit of sea swimming with him as well but zero running. Back on it this week though. 5k hot and sweaty lunch time run, lovely. Will do a 10k later on the north coast with a pal. Will try catch up later.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - looks like a nice day for a bike ride.
    Jools - nearly there; here's hoping too!
    GM - good weekend. Enjoy your lunchtime runs!
    5 mile recovery run d&d.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    still lurking here too - but running (I'll not call it training) - still hampered by the hamstring/glute issue . . .
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

scores on the doors from last nights track meet;

100M- 16 seconds

3000M- 10:09

400M- 64.4 seconds

Happy with the 3000, less so with the others.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice going OO. I'd like to do a track meet one day.

Good to see progress being made MsE. Soon be back to full pelt.

Away for a few days in Kent and East Sussex, namely Hythe and Rye. Great weather, superb accommodation and no crowds.

Manged to get a cheeky run in yesterday. Ran along the coast for 4 miles to Folkestone and then ran back. Ran through a stiff headwind all the way there and was really looking forward to that wind being in my back on the return, only to find it just stopped as soon as I turned!! Mighty miffed!!

I checked the sea and the white waves had calmed and I was just left with no breeze and a hot sun in my face. Still managed a negative split with 8 miles at 6.58 pace. All four return miles were sub 7 but they were hard work in the heat.

Had to have a few beers to recover!!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Lorenzo hope the angle is fine
    0054 nice it of speed there 
    Jools it will come back soon enough just keep going till then 
    Gdawg good  steady 8 miler into the wind, enjoy the beers !
    Birch keep that campaign alive things will turn around soon .

club hill session and 26c here nice !

5x30 secs, 5x45 secs ,5x45 secs , 5x 30secs all at max attack there was to be a 5 x 1 minute session but people were starting to melt ! around 5:35 m/mile  for the 30 secs and about 5:50 for the 45s 
    using my watch more as a stop watch for the later ones so somewhere under 9 miles covered .

• Options
    Great 3000m time there OO and pretty decent for the 400m as well as it looks as though you kept at your 100m for the whole lap.

Leslie - sounds like a brutal session. Not surprising people were starting to feel it towards the end.

G-Dawg - I saw your run on Strava this morning and wondered what you were doing down there! Good pace for the 8 miles - were you aiming to go at that speed?

My ankle held up OK today - out for 20 miles on the bike this morning and a 7.5 mile run this evening as part of the weekly trail club run. I went a bit gingerly on the downhill part but felt pretty strong going up the hills.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Nah! I was angry at the wind dropping and denying me of my wind backed return.
    Turned into a heat slog! :p 
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO - gonna cut out the middleman and smack myself down.  Barely run a step for months so the Coastal is going to be truly ugly. The route does go almost past our house though (1st water station at Newton), so maybe MrsP can be persuaded to bring out tea and biccies.  See you at the start - I think Minni is there too so a nice thread get together.

I was in Keswick at the w/e and thought about the Keswick HM. But not for long.

Lorenzo - go light. Gather what you need, then throw most of it in the bin, and use the smallest pack you can get away with.

Mainly XT here - harvested at least 10lb of blackcurrants yesterday, jam -making must count as good exercise  o:)