Options

Sub 4:30 anyone?

Comments

• Options

Sulking as i'm out injured, quad strain that instead of getting better is getting a bit worse, so i've decide to give up for the rest of the year.  I'm hoping the two weeks rest will do it a lot of good fingers crossed.  So fell short of my goal of 1,000 miles by 67 or so, but managed to lower my marathon time by 54m this year, and did my first ultra, so cannot complain.  Hope to take the extra 7 minutes off my marathon time next year to get below 4:30 image I'm now just going to sulk on the forums for the next couple of weeks and be really grumpy, until i can start running again.

• Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Oh Booktrunk, so sorry to hear that!  Enjoy the festive period, so make the most of your time off!  I'm sure the rest will do you good and you will come back fighting fit!  I wish you better soon image

• Options

Thanks Pipski, hurting less each day, but still has painful moments, so getting there image

• Options
    That's not great. Hope it heals quickly.

Bit of a slack week (for me), managed 10miles on Tuesday, 7 on Thursday and 11miles today. Too much partying and working.
  • Options

Cheers Tim, I intend to be back running weekend of 4th Jan if not before, did a 5k dog walk yesterday and the same today, it's better than nothing image might jog 1km or so on Xmas day to officially use my Garmin 620. image 

• Options
    Doesn't that really depend whether the man with the white beard delivers the goods?
  • Options

Hi all I'm new in here. Entered Paris as 4:15, my first marathon so though everything suggests I can go 3:59:30 I'll be happy below 4:30

Enjoyed a breezy(howling) 11miler yesterday which ended with 4x1000m LT intervals. I'd wanted to fit LSD, 400m sprints, mid-long easy, hill sprints, LT work and mountain biking onto a 5day/week pattern and this seemed the best place to fit the LT work (every 3 weeks onto Saturday long runs), any thoughts?

• Options

Time he delivered the said goods the day they came to the uk image  but to excuse treating myself I told my oh he can take it and wrap it up on Xmas eve image

• Options

Hello this is natty to drunk to give a sensible replyimage just wanted to say hi.

• Options
    thisisnatty wrote (see)

Hi all I'm new in here. Entered Paris as 4:15, my first marathon so though everything suggests I can go 3:59:30 I'll be happy below 4:30

Enjoyed a breezy(howling) 11miler yesterday which ended with 4x1000m LT intervals. I'd wanted to fit LSD, 400m sprints, mid-long easy, hill sprints, LT work and mountain biking onto a 5day/week pattern and this seemed the best place to fit the LT work (every 3 weeks onto Saturday long runs), any thoughts?

Hi.

My view is that you should only be targeting one aspect per session. When your 11mile starts getting up to 16+ miles you won't have time to get the LT runs in. I'm just upping the pace to MP for the last quarter of my Long Run. Which gets you used to running at MP on tired legs.

400m sprints and hill sprints sound like they're targeting the same thing so I would just do them on alternate weeks.

A 5 day week pattern? If I read that right you've got 5 hard sessions there on consecutive days. I would extend that to 10 days and alternate each session with just an easy run. Do you mean only running 5 out of 7 days.

• Options

Eek, no not all consecutive! Therefore yes, I train 5 out if 7 days (4run, 1bike)

And never consecutive hard sessions either! And have 'rest weeks' and 'peak weeks'.

Example 'Peak week'-Mon rest, Tues 3miles inc 8x400m@5k pace, Wed 5miles@MPace, Thurs 3miles inc 8x1min hill sprints, Fri rest, Sat long SLOW 11miles ending with 4x1km@LT, Sun 1hour bike

Example 'Rest week'- Mon rest, Tues 3miles slow (before breakfast in glycogen depleted state to encourage use of fat as fuel), Wed 5miles slow(often before breakfast), Thurs 3miles slow, Fri rest, Sat shorter long slow8miles, Sun 1hour bike

• Options

Well, that's week one done! Nice and straightforward. Here's to another 15!

• Options
    Ok. So my 10mile race on Sunday produced a 1:19:18. This kind of makes a bit of a nonsense the aim of a sub 4:30 and indicates a sub 3:45, with another 2 months hard training I think sub 3:30 could be on the cards! Mad.

What have I been doing?

Mon: 6 miles easy

Tues: Rest

Weds: 10 miles include 4 @ HMP

Thurs: 6 miles easy

Fri: 6x1000m plus mile warm up and mike cool down

Sat: 6 miles easy

Sun: 13 or 16 LSR with last 25% @ MP.

So I'll drop out of posting my training for a bit but keep following and adding my 2p every now and again.
  • Options
    PipskiPipski ✭✭✭

Don't drop out Tim, we like you on here!  Your 10 mile race was fantastic!  I so hope you achieve your sub 3:30, you definitely deserve it!  Happy new year to everyone! I managed to keep up my training over Xmas, but felt I was running hungover most days!  I tried to race a 13 miler but the weather was horrendous...very very windy and pouring with rain the entire time.  My time wasn't great, as I finished it in 2:03 and by the time I had finished I was fit for nothing.  The weather literally took my breath away.  I did a slow 15 miler again and by the time I had got to mile 11, my legs were really sore.   Jogging the last 4 miles was hard work.  I was running 10:45 aswell so I was going slowly.  However I looked back on my forums and about a month ago, I posted that I had extremely sore legs at 7 miles, so I must be getting stronger.    Will I ever run the full distance with strong legs!???  No one said marathon training would be easy! image

• Options
  • Options

1st run back from 3 week out injured tonight. 

4 miles at 10:05 per mile, considering it was windy and very muddy/slippery underfoot I'm happy was a bit knackered at the end of it but no pain, hurrah, quad fixed, still think I have a niggly ITBand so I need to up the strength work on the muscles around my knee I think to take the strain. 

Anyway 5 months from next marathon and then six more weeks until The Wall. Think I should maybe stick another marathon in early in April just for a test run, maybe run 1st half Hardish (create a new half PB), then jog second half. 

• Options

Timr: great running, now it's building stamina so you don't flag in the last 10k, you have the raw pace it's now Stamina you need to work on and ensure you get a sub 4h under your belt. 

• Options
    Cheers. I'm not going anywhere the other threads are well established.

Started back on the regime on Thursday following Christmas and new year's upheaval. This morning was tough. Down to 10:00/mi average, wet and windy. Yuck.

Pipski - get in that other thread. They're waiting for you!
  • Options

I'm thinking of really committing to P&D up to 55m and once I get through the first 10 weeks starting to make the weekend runs long back to back runs as I am doing The Wall 6 weeks after my spring marathon. 

• Options

Well I'm going for it 18 week p&d for MK marathon at 4:22 planned pace image 

ended week 1 today with a 19.4km run at 7;04 per km

• Options

Happy New Year one and all.  Hope yours has got off to a better start than mine image  Been lurgified since Boxing Day and haven't ran an inch since image

• Options

blurgh!! Poor keggy image

• Options

8m tonight. Wet

• Options

I attempted to drag my sorry arse out of the door yesterday! You know it's got to be bad when a driver stops to ask if you're ok and if you need a lift!  Don't think I'm ready to go back to running just yet

• Options
    That's not great. I tend never to be ill but last time I was, back in 2010? I think I was out for a couple of weeks and not right for a couple of months after that.

I think our fitness levels are so high we're only knocked out by proper flu strength viruses.
  • Options

So, come on people, how is your training going, still got the can't be arsed after Xmas feeling or are we all back at it and raring to go with our Sub 4:30 plans.

TimR looks to be at the head of the bunch currently, but still has to put a lot of long slow runs in, as I think Tim said he had stamina problems keeping going the whole way... image Fast first half... iffy 2nd half?

I'm aiming for 5th May. put my times into a VDOT calculator recently http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm Which seems to work in chunks of 30 second or so and that came out saying I should get my arse in gear and aim for 4:18 I'd still be very chuffed with 4:29:59 but it seems I should be aiming for another 10 minutes off that.  I'm doing the P&D 18 week plan, i'm half way through week 2.  I have a niggly thigh, that won't go away, and next physio isn't for another two weeks.  So I've decided to just carry on doing all my runs, but possibly skip some of the speed sections, run the same distance just not as quick as i'm worried if I push it to hard my thigh will do something horrible, 3 weeks off at Xmas didn't help much so I might as well see if I can run it off.

Andi I think has 4:29 planned, and his Marathon is early April...

So how is everyone else doing? What maras are you signed up for, or aren't you yet? and how's things going?

• Options
    Hi booktrunk,

Managed to do a far but of running up till christmas and have been crossing days off on my whizzy new plan ever since 1st jan. Actual Hal Higdon plan doesnt kick in for a coulple of weeks so treating these weeks as pre-start to keep me warm.

Have enjoyed adding some core work in and will be back swimming tonight but really looking forwards to Reading half and Edinburgh full and im hoping that reading will give me a more realistic idea of what I can expect in terms of time.

Have even managed to shift the excess Christmas pounds!! Only negative is a sore shin which I need someone to have a poke at I think. Just waiting for pay day.
  • Options
    Based on my parkrun PB from a couple of weeks ago that calculator has me doing it in under 4! Will see what a half does to those numbers but like the fact it gives you training paces
  • Options

lol Keggy, last year I had a taxi driver offer me a 'free' lift home as wellimage I told him I was walking cos I was doing intervals - he smiled knowingly and drove off.

Tim I've been running for 18 months and so far injury/illness free image

Ah, the plan, I did have a 21 week plan but didn't do any Marathon specific training for the first 8 weeks of it so now down to 12 1/2 weeks to go and need to get myself going!

That said I've managed 2 b2b 50 mile weeks and have run for 20 consecutive days now image (all on the treadmill btw).

4:29:59 is still my goal - Spring would be good but might need to defer it till September depending on trainingimage

• Options

Andi: I'd love to know where people are putting their money for the big showdown image What do you think the odds are?

I'm thinking Evens?

You are pumping out way more miles then I am at the moment.  I've only done 24 so far this year. But, I've now got a reasonable endurance level, thanks to Ladybower, and hope to build on that. Am hoping beyond hope that after my three big runs a marathon will seem like a nice warm up image