Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Stewart - Sounds character building indeed, well done on toughing it out!image I had a similar run last months, high winds and hail which was stinging through 3 layers on my upper body. So you can imagine how sore it was on exposed flesh!

Tek - Well done on the 2 runsimage

NP - Good luck for the raceimage

-----------

4 and a half miles done in pretty crap conditions. 

• Options
    SM well done for braving the elements.

16 m @7.31 this morning which was helped by a fast finish. Suffering from a bit cold and sore throat so a slightly shorter run than planned.
  • Options

Managed the 8.9 miles necessary to get my car- wow! the Erskine bridge was closed to high siders, and is quite exposed, so running directly into the wind on the up hill section resulted in the highest "beats per mile" reading for a long time- apparently I was "running" at 3.5mph, with a HR of 139. It was like a cartoon, with lots of running- like leg and arm actions, but absoutely no forward progress.

Made it to work in the end- on time, too, but it took me a while to recover enough to do much more than drink lots of coffee!

Rest day today, the forecast for tomorrow is better, then much worse again on monday!

Take care out there , all.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

------

NP,

Good luck.

• Options

Well done to Stewart and Stuart for battling with the elements.

Another fast 16 miles for you MG1

Glad you managed to stay on the bridge Tricia

wet snow and high winds here too (35 gusting 60 kts) made for a painful thawing of toes after 13.5 miles.

• Options

OH, ouch, I hope you have warmed up after the tough MLR today

Tricia, well done braving the wind on the bridge, you would have been very exposed

MG, a good long run today,I hope the cold clears quickly

SM, well done getting it done, the conditions out are awful.

-----------------

5 miles easy today, I kept putting it off but finally zipped up the suit and went out, I hope it is better tomorrow.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik nice easy doubleimage

SC great running yesterday in very poor conditions and again todayimage

SM6 again another good run in very poor conditionsimage

MG1 hope you managed to drop the lurgy whilst out running, nice 16 miles at paceimage

Try well done on the run to collect the car again very poor conditionsimage

OH great running in them conditions it's been a bad few days but great running.image

Well after helping out at the local Parkrun this morning in the snow I went home got changed put the ski boots and ski's in the car only to find the snow wasn't deep enough for a quick ski so set off of an easy run two miles in it started to snow, near blizzard conditions for just over 4 miles with a few sets of strides. How the wind drops for tomorrows race.

• Options

NP - Well done on the 4 miles in the blizzard, and good luck for the race todayimage

Stewart - Hope you get decent conditions for your run today. Is it 20 for you as well?

OH - That's a great effort in those conditions!image

Tricia - That sounds like a tough run for the car!image

MG - Still a good long run even if it was a bit shorter than planned!image

-----------

Not too rough this morning, so meeting my mate at 8 for 20 hopefully.

• Options

Managed 10.75 miles today, which is not so bad given I only resumed running just over two weeks ago. Tried to ramp up the pace a little after the first two miles but only maintained it for four before I slowed down again. Legs pretty fatigued and grumpy by the end. On the one hand, I can't expect too much of myself just yet, but on the other, I have a half in three weeks. I'm not going to get a PB there but I'd rather like not to embarrass myself either.

• Options

Cal - Well done on the run this morning, I'm sure you'll be fine for the half image

--------------

20 done @ 8:35. A bit tougher than Mondays 19, but I could list quite a few valid excuses for that! Satisfied enough with that with 10 weeks to goimage

73 miles Monday-Sunday (although I counted Mondays 19 as last week) which is the highest I've ever done, and 245 mile for the month. Also a highest total. Definitely went along well this monthimage

• Options

I ran 17:03 in my 50th Park Run. I ran the last mile a bit too easy and narrowly missed sub 17 mins.

It will be interesting to see what time I run on a flat 12km road race in 4 months time. I will run a 10km race on a flat course to get a stand alone 10km time in lead up to my Half Mara. race in mid. August.

• Options

S17, still banging out good times at pr

SM, awesome run and two LR's in a week in hardcore, brilliant totals for the week and month

Cal, a good run and you'll manage fine at your HM in three week's time

NP, well done volunteering at pr and a nice little leg stretcher, I hope the race has gone well

---------------

I got my first 20 miler bagged today, not the greatest run I had but it is done now and I pick a cracking day for it no wind and no rain/snow in sight, the pace was really slow which is not a good sign, 58 miles for the week and 226 miles for the month, I am very happy with both, 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done for getting the 20 done, great week and month's mileageimage

Stuart nice pace for the 20, excellent week's work and well done on the month's totalimage

MG another excellent run, hope the throat is betterimage

Tricia well done on the car recovery in the galeimage

HM thanksimage

OH well done on the 13.5 - sounded brutalimage

NP well done in the blizzardimage. Hope today went well...

Cal well done on the 10.75m, building nicelyimage

Sub17 congrats on the 50thimage

---

Easy 4.6m Saturday and another easy 5.2m in the pouring rain today.  45m for the week, rebuild continues...image

• Options

Cal: A great distance considering you're only 2 weeks back.

SM: Well done on the 20 miler. Awesome monthly total too!

Sub17: A great time there. Do you guys get the t-shirts from Tribalsport down under?

SC: Another one up to 20 miles! Great going this month too.

Teknik: Good running, keep it going.

-----

I did a damp 15 miler this morning in around 2 hours after my first ever sports massage yesterday. Luckily I wasn't feeling too tender this morning.

I'm following the RunnersWorld Marathon Plan that gets emailed weekly which is seeing me through so far, but I'm a bit concerned that it finishes two weeks after the Manchester Marathon so if I follow it to the letter I'll miss the taper. I guess two weeks before the race I want to start cutting back the mileage?

• Options

Well done on the 20's, both, 245 miles for the month is pretty amazing, SM6- mine is 88 for the month, and that's a pretty average january for the last 5 years, only plus point is that I managed it despite a 2 week ski trip at altitude where I couldn't do more than short slow runs on the tready.

Did 16miles, with 10 at marathon pace- alldone in reasonably calm, gently drizzly weather- tomorrow looks horrible again weather- wise, so back to the tready.

• Options
    OH sounds vile, great for,getting through it

Stewart excellent for getting the 20 under your belt along with good weeks and months running.

NP,hope the race has gone well

Call good running, you will be fine in three weeks.

SM quality weeks running

Tek well done on the weeks running, coming back nicely.

An easy 4 recovery this morning , snap Stuart, 245 m for the month for me as well , 57 for the week. Bit of a sore throat going on which is a pain.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

MG1 great monthly total, hope the throat clears up.

Teknik good to see the recovery going well.

NN not doing London, too expensive for just another run. Run training has not been great and I think you invest so much in marathon training (and i am so injury prone) I would only commit to another one if in PB shape.

Stewart well done, great run today and an amazing difference from up Daviot way - snow knee deep!

Stuart that's an amazing weekly total, great you got the 20 done today - no hangover then?

How did the race go NP?

OH well done getting out yesterday. I managed an hour at 8mm av pace in horrendous gales and horizontal snow. That was enough and my longest run in a few weeks. No ill effects but far too icy/snowy for the road bike today so ambitiously took the old bike (20 year old shopper) into the wood. Hilarious and fell off a few times but a good laugh and a fairly soft landing in the snow. Hope to get back to regular training tomorrow.

F

• Options

Tek Great to hear things getting back together again

Cal welcome to the group 10.75 miles sounds fab if you've only been going 2 weeks!

MG1 great pace for 16

Sub17 Awesome effort with the 50th 17min park run

RP Great 15miler especially in the damp

FC Sound like challenging conditions well done

SC Well done with that 20 miler

NP strides in snowy conditions... or was that slidesimage

SM6 Great pace for that 20!

Last couple of weeks been good recovered well from 19miler closely follwoed by 8miler (that was last week).

This week was the joy of the northern athletics cross country championship Witton park at Blackburn. Basically 4 laps of 6-12 inches of mud. The rest was the hill which had a bit of gravel near the startimage. 2nd lap was interesting the hail started lashing. Pace and time disappointing but I enjoyed the running. Will be seeking advice on nailed running shoes. Today I consoled my self with a muddy 6miler at 7'40s /mile. This week is a high mileage week looking forward to Fridays 20 miler.

• Options

Michael - thank you. I ran 8 half marathons last year and got up to 17 miles just before Christmas so I was doing OK when I fecked up my groin in the gym. Been out for a month with that. It was really painful for about three weeks. I just feel like I've lost a lot of ground with the layoff. The groin isn't completely healed either but it coped really well with 7.5 miles last weekend. It was very grumpy after my run today, though, so I need to watch it.

• Options

SM6 Great 20miles banked, great way to finish a wonderful week of 73 and 245 for the month, looking good with 10 weeks to goimage

Cal well done on the 10 milesimage hope the groin is ok.

SUB17 Well done on your 50th Parkrun.image

SC great 20 miles bagged and looking strong, another good month with 58 miles banked and 226 for the monthimage

Teknik well done on both your runs and nice to see you back building up the milesimage

Rob well done on the damp 15miles can't you skip a week and move forward on the plan image

Try well done on the 16 and 10 at MPimage

MG1 nice running and totals  for the week 57 and 245 for the monthimage hope the throat is okimage

Fiona like the ride on the shopper in the snowimage that put a big smile on my face as I could picture you going through the wood in the snowimage

MG7 Well done on the cross country running and muddy 6 miler 15mm spikes work wellimage good luck with the 20 on Fridayimage

Well yesterday was a great day out with the club, picked up by the coach (bus) at 10am and home just after 10:30pmimage Got down to registration with plenty of time to spare a little drizzle and a bit of wind but conditions not too bad considering. 3000 runners taking part which is a lot for a 5 mile road race but paced with quality. Took a while to get over the start line and the first mile and a half was spent trying to pass runners who should have started further back garmin splits for first 2 miles 5:45 and 5:48 the course had changed from last year and took us into a park on an out and back leg. Managed to get into a group for mile 3 and 4 and was nice to be able to see the leaders flash past before the end of mile 4, splits where 5:42, 5:45. Slight climb in the last mile and the race to the line saw a younger club member close the gap on me and pass me 25m from the line and with nothing left in the speed bank I had to let him go. Finished 117th but 4th in my age group in a chip time of 29:19 so I can't complain with that. After the race it was a few drinks at the bar followed by a drive back north and a stop off for a meal. All in all a great day out with the clubimage

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageWow NP - that's a great month's training and a great 5 mi race to finish it off!image

124 miles in Jan for me, with 168 mile bike commuting on top. Happy with that given my starting position at the start of the year was in the "fat and unfit" category ... more important for me was completing the 31 consecutive days of running, which really got me back in the training consistency game. I'll have to start swimming nowimage and cut back to 3 days per week running in line with FIRST. I will not be running today. image

• Options
    No Pain wrote (see)

Rob well done on the damp 15miles can't you skip a week and move forward on the plan image

I can't because they're emailed weekly. I might follow it up to week 12 and then switch to another plan for the final few weeks. I should have seen this issue coming!

That sounds like a great race NP - Was it the London Winter Run?

• Options

Sounds a fun day out NP image

sounds like progress Cal image Have you tried some crosstraining in the pool?

mud baths are meant to be good for recovery, no? MG7 image

"FC go home" - visions of Fiona flying through the wood ET style image

great mileage for January, MG1 Stewart and Stuart image

onwards and upwards Tek image

another great parkrun sub17 image

21 for me today accompanied by Henry who helped and hindered image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Rob well done on the 15 miler, hope the massage helped. I think you need to switch to a plan that matches your Race Date - it's not just the taper, but the long run progression that will be out of synch.image

Tricia nice 16 with 10 @ MP, glad the weather wasn't too hostileimage

MG super week and monthimage

Fiona well done battling through that 8, and sounded like fun on the old bike!image

Michael well done on the XC mud-fest, nice pace for the 6 milerimage

Cal hope the body settles down a bitimage

NP that was a super fast 5 miler - 29:19!!  Not far off last year's PB...image

Dr Dan well done on the January streakimage

OH fantastic long run at 21m, well doneimage

---

Just a couple of commute jogs for me today, 7m in total.image

• Options

Dr Dan well done on the running but can't you run and swim on the same day?image

Rob you can find the full plans here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/big-marathon-index/7355.html

the race was Raheny 5 miles just outside Dublinimage

OH that's a great 20 in Henry image

Teknik well done with the 7 milesimage yesterday's race was 3 seconds down on last year but in worse conditions.

70x25m front crawl this morning and 6 miles up the forest late afternoon in Henry. 257 miles for Jan onwards and up wards with the milesimage

• Options
    NP excellent racing pal with a great month milage. Yes looking to also up the ante in milage this month.

DD good months work on both bike and running.

OH excellent in what must have been brutal conditions.

Tek nice work running.

2m warm then 8 with the club @ 7.28 then 2 m warm down. More sedate pace tonight due the wind and a few more in the group, happy with that as the chesty sore throat lurgie is still affecting me.
  • Options

NP, another great racing performance and excellent mileage for the month

Dr Dan well done getting through the 31 day streak, 

OH, bloody hell fair play getting 21 in today it is blowing a hoolie out there

Rob, well done with the 15 miler 

Fiona, I bet it was fun up in the woods image

Tricia well done with the MP run

Tek, good to see you're getting back out and running consistently well done with the double today

MG, still a cracking run I hope you're feeling better soon

----------------

An easy 5 with some strides, I think it was 8, it was rather windy out!

• Options

Getting a bit  slack on posting now everyone seems to be on Strava ... must do better !! 

NP superb racing at the weekend  I couldnt do I mile beginning with a 5 !! there must be some very fast men in your age if you were 4th ! still very respectable though ... I have a 5 mile race this Sunday and hoping for sub 35.30 , 

SM6 your pace has come on in leaps and bounds ! superb 20 banked 

DD 31 days streak is pretty impressive ! its been a wet/windy month or so so getting out everyday takes some determination 

OH 21 miles ! good effort indeed ! especially in the weather you seem to be getting up there 

MG take care ! you have been training g like a machine ! the immune system will suffer ! I always always !!! get a bug/ sore throat /cold  around end Feb beginning of March when marathon  training !  I remember doing a 20 mile race last year coughing up green gunk !! I was assured it wasnt a chest infection just a virus so carried on .. ( and was fine i may add) 

SC good consistant running going on how many weeks now ? 

Tek nice commuting ! 

I did 4 miles on Sunday quickish as I was short of time so try to make the short ones  count  .. ..7.45 .. 7.15..7.20 .. 7.15 . good short race practice 

yesterday I did 15 miles at just under 8.30 pace 2 hours 7 ... feeling very comfortable and wondering just how I would do in a marathon as these runs are at least 45 secinds per mile quicker than last year ... thinking maybe of doing an autumn marathon but it choosing which one ? may be Dublin ? 

186 miles for January not bad considering Im not marathon training ... plenty of 13/15 milers just no 18/20s 

• Options

An Other Half - no, I've learned to stay away from the pool. The chlorine gives me allergic rhinitis. I spend the rest of the day sneezing and not being able to breathe through my nose.

My groin felt much better yesterday and I did my first spin class since the injury, which went very well and gave me the chance to do some sprints.

I was still uncertain about running today but told myself to stop being such a puss and go out and run. Glad I did. I had always intended to run about 4 miles, but after a sedate 10:25 first mile it started to rain so I decided to turn it into a tempo. Got the second (mostly uphill) mile done in 9:30, the third (mostly downhill) done in a very pleasing 8:55 and still felt strong for the last mile so decided to throw in some strides and finished it in 9:03. End result was 4:08 miles in 38:45. Groin was fine

• Options

Cal weldone on getting out there ! sometimes its just mind over matter 

4 easy recovery @ 8.45 pace for me today