Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Tricia, Welcome back I'm sure you be back up to speed in no-time

OH, I don't know how you do it well done with the sea swim and 5k run 17 mile double today

NP, lol @ Buddy, nice run up on the trails and a good swim today, enjoy the double day tomorrow

-------------------

9 miles with 5 @ LT, I needed a toilet break which ruined the run and I couldn't get back into a decent rhythm, I'm going to the Shetland Isles tomorrow for work hopefully I'll get a run of sorts in. 

• Options
    NN well done on the recovery run, good sign for the legs.

NP quality pace for LR and a good double .

Tri welcome back to it.

Stewart good 9 all the same, enjoy your trip.

OH great LR in chill

Away with work again this week so got 8 m early morning with 7 @ 6.54 , pushed it for 5 which were all around 6.35 which was pleasing. Then another 6 tonight @ 7.46 which was pleasing considering the Yorkshire hills. , first decent double day for a while.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH man of steel getting into the sea for a swimimage well done on the 5k loop. Buddy passed the snowman today no problem lol.

Try welcome back from your altitude training camp think the skiing and running at altitude would help out maintaining fitnessimage

SC well done on the LT run enjoy your tripimage

MG1 seen the splits on Strava nice pace, love pushing the pace a bit and running on feel. Think its something more people should do rather than worry about HR peaks, couldn't tell you what mine would be and i'm sure your the sameimage Also love the hillsimage in Gods own country.

First of two runs banked 6 miles easy on the trails out later with the club for some sort of interval sessionimage

• Options

Mon was 10km in treadmill in sub 38min 30secs. Today was a rest day. 

Wednesday and Thursday will be 4 miles on treadmill + 20 mins easy weights + 10 mins rowing  or 40 mins RPM bike.

Friday will be a rest day ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Sub 17 what park run do you do and whats your age?

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

NN,

Awesome - great result.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Evening All ... been catching up. image

AOH - the most bonkers training session.image

NN - the most glorious race.image

Wasn't in work yesterday so missed my bike commute but did squeeze in a 4 mi run ... today was back to bike commuting and I also did my first FIRST session of the 16 week HM plan ... 12 x 400m @5KP wi 90s rests (with 1.35mi wu/cd at each end). I had no idea what my 5KP is at the moment, so aimed for 1:41 intervals (23 min 5K) but in the end averaged under 6:32/m pace. Was dreading this but it was not nearly as bad as I expected ... in fact it was good fun. I might cheat on my rest/cross days during Jan and do a short 1-2 min recovery just to complete a January streak (seems a shame to blow it after 19 straight runs).

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart well done on Monday's LSR - great week's total tooimage

Rob hope the ankle's better after the restimage

OH well done on yesterday's treble - 17 miler, sea dip and the 5k loop!image

Stewart well done on the 50m for last weekimage

MG that looked like a hard double, well doneimage

NN nice PB !imageimage

NP nice 16 miler with the group - fast pace!  Nice easy trail run today, enjoy the club session tonightimage

Tricia welcome backimage

Sub17 good luck for Saturdayimage

HM hope you're getting some runs inimage

Dr Dan nice FIRST sessionimage. Yes I'm still Hadding....when able...

----

Bleurgh.  6 days off, another course of antibiotics after the blood test.  I hope this isn't another false dawn but I'm back running - just an easy 2m yesterday, and tonight was a treadie session - 0.5m w/up then 13 x 200m @ 5kp off 200m jogs, HR was normal for this sort of session, so fingers crossed I'm on the mend. Tomorrow's MLR will be a better test...image

• Options
    NP enjoy tonight's session.

DD good work on the first session, nice bit of pace.

Tek excellent news that you are back out, hope its now sorted.

Another early 7 m up and around Harrogate, felt pretty tired after a rubbish hotel sleep but got it done, another one tomorrow up hills.
  • Options

My local Park Run is Claisebrookcove in Australia. My age is 33.

My Park Run/5km PB is 16:48. I am working towards running sub 16:30 Park Run, sub 36 mins in 10km, sub 44 mins in 12km and sub 1:20 HM during the year.

I only need 2 more Park Runs to reach my 50th Park Run. I will notch my 50th Park Run by the end of this month.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tek - glad you're back at itimage. That session wasn't very "hadd" though.image

MG1 - - hotel sleeps are never good. Well done on getting the run in.

Sub17Parkrun ... soon to be renamed imageSub16:30ParkRunimage.  I'd be glad to see sub-20 again ...and it took me 7 years to get to my 50th ... I've always had clashes with kids' activities on Saturday mornings.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

DR Dan well done on the 400m session and a nice way to start your HM plan.image

Teknik nice to see you starting back at it mate, hope thats you sortedimage

MG1 Nice couple of good runs in gods own countryimage

Sub 17 nice set of targets to have and aim for, had a look at your Parkrun course great for fast times very flat and out and back, also looks like to get plenty of great weatherimage Lucky if we see the sun in summer hereimage

Yesterdays club session was w/u followed by 8x800m in 2:51-2:53 then c/d. Today was 70x25m front crawl and just over 10miles steady on the trails. Looking forward to Fridays swim and massage image

• Options
    Another earlier 6 this morning, NP no flat caps or whippets so far !image
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

----------

Tek,

Sadly not at the moment.  I've got a sinus infection and 2 weeks of antibiotics.

• Options

morning quick post will catch up later 

Wednesdays seem to be turning into doubles day for me

A nice sunny / chilly 3 miler  yesteday morning for the sake of a run round the block which includes running along the seafront and I am addicted to it !

Track session last night 6 x 800 off 1 min rest average 3.15-3.20 minutes for each 800

Also a nice surprise last night , earlier in  the week I was emailed asking me to return the outstanding female athlete of the year trophy ! I havent got it I said ! apparently I was awarded it last year and as I missed  a few club meetings it kind of got forgotten ! anyway it was given to me last night to keep for a week ! then it has to be handed back for this years winners name to be engraved ... we are a big club  probably tne largest in Devon  and there are some awesome names on there ( some twice) and I can hardly believe mines there now 

• Options

Congratulations NN!

The RW training plan for sub 3:30 suggests running 5 times a week, but I'm cutting it down to 4 runs while I'm still apprehensive about my ankle. That's not going to be too detrimental to my plan is it?

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG well done for getting those runs in while away

Sub17 good luck with the new targets

Dr Dan sorry to contradict you but the 200/200 session is straight out of the Hadd doc (p20."On wk 8, we introduced a session simply designed to get Joe used to moving faster biomechanically, without incurring high lactate. I call this 200/200 or 200-fartlek.")

NP well done on the club session and nice 10m on the trails

HM hope you shake that lurgy soon

NN congrats!  Well done on the track session

Rob probably not, but if you're worried about the ankle you'll be better off just slowing all your training down.

---

MLR of 10m yesterday plus 1m of runs to/from the station.  HR high and climbing despite slowing down, not a huge surprise, glad I got it done. 

• Options

Hey everyone. I'm running my first marathon (Manchester) this year after completing 8 halves last year. I was up to 17 miles just before Christmas and then injured my groin in the gym which put me out for a month. I've just resumed running again (a cautious 2 miles on Saturday and then 4 miles on Monday and today). I'm wondering how quickly I can regain my fitness (given that I'm 48 and not that fast to start with). The only thing I've done since the injury is yoga, which helped heal it, so aerobically I'm not in the best shape, alas.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Teknik wrote (see)
    Dr Dan sorry to contradict you but the 200/200 session is straight out of the Hadd doc (p20."On wk 8, we introduced a session simply designed to get Joe used to moving faster biomechanically, without incurring high lactate. I call this 200/200 or 200-fartlek.")

This is why you are at Hadd Master Level 3. imageimage

• Options

MG, a cracking pace the other night, I only see 6's when I'm doing strides image well done with the 6 last night.

NP, a good couple of days training banked, nice reps with the club and another trail run in the hills

Tek, good to hear you are on the mend and a good MLR 

Sub17, another few weeks and you'll have your 50 T

NN, I am not surprise with the club award, congratulations image well done with the double

Rob, I have seen others take out an easy run for a bit of x-training

Cal, just build those miles up slowly, and don't worry about speed work.

------------------

No running whilst away, I spent the whole day in the airport and didn't arrive in Lerwick until after 8, so I decided to take that as my rest day, last night I did my 7 mile GA run with 8 strides outs it was good to get the legs turning over, club night tonight I think this might be the last hills session before moving onto the flat, I think we will be building up towards mile repeats.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Cracking training there NP. Jealous about the 70 x 25m swim ... really need to start swimming in Feb!!

NN - was a great story! Well done. Outstanding indeed!image

Tek - you're on the way back now.image

Cal - it was only a month, so just get the consistency back and you'll find that aerobic base is still lurking there in the background, waiting to be reactivated.image

SC - nice 10 miler, How to you fit the club sessions in with P&D?

1.2 mile recovery yesterday, for no other reason than to keep the Jan streak alive. 11 mi cycling yesterday and today as well. Today's run was session 2 of week 1... balls it up a bit by misreading/remembering what I was supposed to do and ended up doing 3 @ 8/m instead of 3 @ 7:25/m. Probably for the best, given how little hard running I've done.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Cal I agree with Dr Dan, it's only been a month, you'll be fineimage

Dr Dan well done on the continued streak.  I talk a good Hadd; one day I might actually run a good race!image

Stewart well done on the 7m yesterday and the strides.  Enjoy the club run tonightimage

---

5.5m easy commute run for me todayimage

• Options

SC the legs will be nice and fresh for tonights club run enjoy them hills !!

Tec nice 10 miler and easy 5 today

NP your club session was similar to mine image 800s  yours were very quick good going , nice swimmimg and more good mileage today , enjoy the massage

Rob P what have you actually done to the ankle ? I agree with the others  down a bit for  a while , 4, days could be enough , it depends on your recent race times and fitness I guess 

Doc Dan my posting has been a bit hit and miss , which marathon are you doing ? 

Cal only  48 image?  we dont talk about age here its no excuse , if you were up to 17 miles before christmas the endurance will still be there dont  panic ! what are your half times ? 

14 miles in 2 hours  tiday ... 8.34 pace today was a bit worried about doing a long run the day after a track session but its the onky chance I have this  week , felt good though 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options

NN - Great couple of days running. Very nice pace for todays 14!image When is your goal half marathon, you're going to be flying!image

Tek - Well done on the 5.5image

Dr Dan - Good going on keeping the streak, shame about the mis-read session though!image

Stewart - Well done on the 7, hope your enjoyed the club run tonightimage

Cal - I'm sure you'll be back doing the long runs within a couple of weeks. You'll be fine if you had already got upto 17 before Xmas! I've only just got up to that distance.

Rob - No point in pushing it too much if the ankle is a bit dodgy. Just doing slow and easy miles would be best for now. Not that I would listen to that advice...image

NP - Good running as swimming as alwaysimage

--------------

Lets see, Tuesday - 9miles with 4x1.9km off 2 minutes. I thought I was a bit slow but was closer to a few faster guys than usual.
    Wednesday - 6 miles easy
    Tonight - 10 with 7 at 7:45 (was just a steady run with a couple of mates)

Ticking along nicely at the momentimage

• Options

I went for a 10k this evening and my ankle seemed much better. It's hard to describe what's wrong with it. Like an ache from the outside of my ankle and running up the tendon(?) for a couple of inches towards my knee. I must have rolled it at some point without realising it.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

NN congratulations on outstanding female athlete of the year even if lateimageimageimage Some great running by you over the past couple of days, must of put a great spring in your step, so well deserved image

Rob take out the easy run and just watch pushing the pace on the faster sessions for a week or so.

Teknik well done on the MLR yesterday don't worry about HR and well done on 5 miles todayimage

Cal Welcome young ladyimage if you did 17 before christmas you where ahead of the game and the endurance will come back, just build it up again you have near 12 weeks to go and if you move the taper back a week and only taper for two week you will be in great shape for it.image

SC nice running on the hills not sure why you want to move to the flatimage Mile repeats are goodimage

DR D well done on keeping the streak going, don't fret the mix upimage

Two runs today first up the forest in the clouds getting soaked " is it raining if your in the cloud"? 7.53 miles @ 7:14 pace and 6.26 miles tonight @ 7:09 pace. Just running relaxed and on feel. Short pool session tomorrow morning and a massage in the afternoonimage

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 Cross post nice three days of training looking good.image

Rob well done on the 10k tonight, nice that the ankle has improved.image

• Options

Belated congrats on the award, NN.

Rob-Perhaps tendonitis, rather than a sprailn?- perhaps KT taping when you're running and some pool running/ x- training to get you through?

NP- sounds like a wet couple  of days- probably not worth even trying t odry out between all thoose wet runs and swimming sessions.

I did a nice hilly run today, about 6 miles, but quite steep- had to turn around a bit early as the steep bit of the path was sheet ice, and not safe underfoot, otherwise enjoyable as first decent run back after the ski trip.

Hoping to get out for a good hilly trail run on west highland way on sunday.