Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Hmmm no alcohol, no TV, lots of early nights - you're making me feel a bit guiltyimage - at least I know what to blame next time I get an injury!

Mind you I could handle no DIY!!

• Options

Lack of sleep is without doubt my biggest failing. I train purposefully, consistently and (mostly) sensibly, I stretch, go to pilates, gave up cricket as it wasn't compatible, have cut right back on the booze and eat well, but no matter how much I tell myself I'm going to address the late nights it just doesn't happen. Any tips, Mace on what helped you make the change? I get really frustrated with myself, but there's always something I find to distract myself well beyond midnight most days. image

• Options
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Hmmm no alcohol, no TV, lots of early nights - you're making me feel a bit guiltyimage

I don't have a TV and I sometimes go to bed quite early. Erm, what was the other thing?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm the same as Bob. I'm rarely settled and in a position to sleep until comfortably past 11.

Then I get woken at least once somewhere every night.
  • Options

Bob - Cov half is a different route to last year I believe - or at least they've extended the city centre section.  Won't be way out though.  Good session too.  

Mace - Your talk of sleep repulses me.  I don't think I've had a good nights sleep since some time in 2007.  Not even joking.  

Lit - I know you talk sense re: doing Cov BUT physio agreed I could do 13 which I might as well do in company.  I'm going to see how I feel on Saturday I think before making the call.  I def won't race it though.  Warwick in a few weeks can be my target half.  

Tested the legs out with a 6 mile recovery run last night.  Felt stiff and creaky but all over rather than just in problem areas which I'm attributing to a few days off.  Afterwards everything felt the same, no worse.  Stretched and strengthened.  So today tried out an 8 with the buggy as had a few errands to run in town.   Looser today and all felt reasonable - still some discomfort in right knee but nothing major and not affecting my gait. Physio reckons it is a case of managing it anyway. Have iced and feels ok now. Will rest tomorrow.   

• Options
    DT19 wrote (see)

Then I get woken at least once somewhere every night.

?????????

Do you sleepwalk?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

Lack of sleep is without doubt my biggest failing. I train purposefully, consistently and (mostly) sensibly, I stretch, go to pilates, gave up cricket as it wasn't compatible, have cut right back on the booze and eat well, but no matter how much I tell myself I'm going to address the late nights it just doesn't happen. Any tips, Mace on what helped you make the change? I get really frustrated with myself, but there's always something I find to distract myself well beyond midnight most days. image

Bob, it's just a change of routine and is perfectly normal for me now. My wife has always been an early riser, she gets up at 5-5:30 as she likes to get up and sort things before the kids are awake. She used to complain at me going to bed so late because she can't sleep until i go to bed. So she was getting fairly knackered.

One day she just asked if i'd start going to bed earlier and run in the mornings instead of evenings. I'd tried this a few times previously as i don't particularly enjoy running on my own in the evenings but, although i enjoyed the early mornings, i didn't have any energy  . So, i gave it another go and gradually got used to it and made sure i did have the energy needed by going to bed early.

I'm at the stage now where i almost always beat the alarm. If you wake up like that then you can't be too tired to train, surely !? On the rare occasion the alarm wakes me i assume i'm too tired to train so i'll do it at lunchtime or evening or can it depending on how i feel.

• Options

I have considered asking my wife to nag me into going to bed earlier! One of my problems is that I'm a proper night owl. No matter how knackered I am during the day and early evening, I always begin to feel more lively after about 8.30pm, and am rarely tired when I actually go to bed. I'd sleep from 2am until 10am left to my own devices I think.

Guess you're right about it being routine. Thursday night's routine is always Question Time followed by This Week for me. Got to start somewhere...so will try to ensure the TV is off before the QT starts tonight, as once it's on, I always get drawn in! image

N.B. Sounds positive, McF. image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think 'sometime' would have been a better term, Skinny!

Same here. I can absolutely on my backside all day promising myself an early night, then come 8 onwards im no where near as tired.

• Options

Not that it matters for me since I won't be racing it image but the weather forecast for Sunday is bastard windy *technical term*.  

• Options

I'll need extra brylcreem on the combover then.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Its not looking like pb weather for even the non mortals such as Muddy!

Mcf- The route is the same as 2014, hih as th first year with th new route. Just read that 4000 people are entered which is double last year. I hope they are equipped to cope with that.

I hve been told the start was pretty congested last year so this year could be carnage.

• Options

Muddyfunster

Race Report Coventry Half

After having flu all week I wasn't looking forward to this race but then I was up all night with sickness and diarrhoea so only managed a couple of hours sleep before the alarm went off.

Thought about staying in bed but decided I would struggle down to the start and see how I felt although I wasn't up to any pre race warm up or strides.

When I got to the start I realised that the 40 mph wind was directly in our faces and the route was a point to point so would be in our faces for the whole route.

Before I had a chance to decide not to do it or get myself in a good position for the start the gun went off and I found myself right at the back with the fancy dress runners so I had to just about walk the first few miles.

I felt dreadful and my legs felt like lumps of concrete even though I was only jogging but at least being in the group shielded me from the wind.

Finally things thinned out and I felt the full brunt of the wind in my face but leant into it and battled on just stopping a few times to be sick on the side of the road. Through halfway but a lot slower than PB pace I decided to try and up the speed slightly just to get it over with.

Surprisingly my legs responded a little but it was all uphill to the finish and tree branches were being blown off the route towards us by the gale force winds.

Felt like I should give it all I had and started passing a few people and suddenly I was at the finish and perhaps the time wasn't as bad as I thought. Forgot to stop my watch but might even have been a small PB.

EDIT: Results now in 1:17:26 for a 1:28 surprise PBimageimage

• Options

Just like the dream I had last night ...

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Skinny - Excellent work, gold star for you methinks!!

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Stupid question alert. What does one wear to a physio appointment? Do they get you to take clothes off a la sports massage or should I put on trousers that will roll up so they can look at my legs or is this all nonsense and I can put my skinny jeans on and they won't undress me?

EDIT. Can only imagine where skinny's going to go with this one....
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    They differ in preference. I do mine in running shorts as they seem to give access to all areas.
  • Options

Skinny - image.

Madbee - My physio asks me to wear loose fitting clothing, so I generally go for shorts or joggers. When I had a hip flexor injury I had to roll the top of my shorts down so he could massage and ultrasound the area.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend, which I think is Bob, mace, McF, DT and Muddy (naturally). I might parkun tomorrow if I don't get in too late tonight.  

• Options

I wore my shorts under my skinnies, Madbee, and was asked to take the jeans off.  

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Thanks all image shorts under jeans it is image
  • Options

I'd go with 'it depends what's wrong with you'. Though as my problem the last time was a sprained ankle, trousers I could roll up made more sense than skinny jeans. When I used to have very tight shoulders, the other physio (don't get too excited Skinny) would get me to take my top off but wouldn't undo my bra till I was lying face down.

• Options

I wear shorts so they don't have to ask me to take my trousers off which always seems more embarrassing with a physio than a doctor - somehow the 'rules' are different.

• Options

Really? Don't you wear any underpants, Skinny?

• Options

Skinny - Love it!

Madbee - I wear running shorts with tracky bottoms over the top to fizz appointments, the latter being easier off than jeans.

Tommy - If you go to Rushcliffe for tomorrow's parkrun (which I guess you would with it being on your doorstep nowadays!), and give it plenty of beans, you'll get a right old boost to your runbritain ranking. Loads of the regulars are likely to be doing the 10k the following morning, but still turn up to parkrun and just jog round, so the RB algorithm assumes conditions must have been appalling and gives it an enormous SSS rating. image 

Good luck. First time sub-20 for you tomorrow I predict - no pressure. image

Lit - The physio undid your bra for you? image

Keep looking at the forecast, hoping for good news on the weather for Sunday. 'Only' 22mph to 25mph winds forecast now, compared to the 25mph to 28mph last time I looked...though when you look at the detail, it's still suggesting 'gales in places'. Harrumph.

Very easy 5 miler for me last night, mostly at recovery intensity which is starting to slip under 8:00/m pace for the first time. Still failed to get to bed before midnight. F off today.

EDIT: Copy/Paste failure - Good luck also to the Coventry massive and to Mace - is it the Thanet 20 you're doing?

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I do wear underpants. I don't mean that the rules are different for me - I'm an old man I don't care who sees my stuff any more but the physios always seem a bit awkward asking you to take your clothes off, asking if its alright if they do this and that whereas the doctors just tell you what to do even if its bend over and give you the 'fickle finger of fate' test which is specially reserved for men over 40 as part of a BUPA health test.

• Options

I haven't been to a doctor or a physio since 2013 but I don't remember either being especially awkward. Though admittedly none have ever required me to fully undress.* It is true that some physios are reluctant to actually touch you, but I think that's annoying and try to go to the ones who just get on with it.

*Oh! Except from waist up for an ECG. Nurse apologetic in case it was cold in room.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

I do wear underpants. I don't mean that the rules are different for me - I'm an old man I don't care who sees my stuff any more but the physios always seem a bit awkward asking you to take your clothes off, asking if its alright if they do this and that whereas the doctors just tell you what to do even if its bend over and give you the 'fickle finger of fate' test which is specially reserved for men over 40 as part of a BUPA health test.

another reason to dread hitting 40

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

Lit - The physio undid your bra for you? image

I have to do this quite frequently with sports massage. When you have a girl lying on her front on your table its hard for her to undo it herself. So you have to step in. Of course you always ask first!

Bob – When you say recovery pace do you just mean a very easy aerobic run? I think of a true recovery run as one that is simply designed to speed up recovery with no aims of developing fitness. I’d have thought that 5 miles at sub 8 whilst perhaps not very taxing would still be more taxing than doing nothing and as such isn’t really a recovery run.

I had quite an enjoyable session last night. 1,2,3,5,3,2,1 minutes with 90 second recoveries. In total covered 3.12 in 17.06. So basically goal 5K pace of sub 17. Then a very rare occurance this morning of a pre work run. Just an easy 10k.

• Options

The one I hated was the gastroenterologist who said 'I am just going to look at your bottom'.    Naively, I thought he really meant 'look' when he said 'look'. I would have appreciated more warning.

Madbee - I've been asked to take my top off even when problem felt like it was in legs, so don't go BLT (physio might feel awkward even if you don't care)

20.5M this morning on no breakfast and no carbs after the run last night. Fine except I now feel both hungry and slightly nauseous. Easy weekend now.