Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

I quite liked the four pocket version and could do with an extra pair of racing shorts. Obviously I'm also totally taken by the marketing speak of flexlite fabric, powermesh pockets, bonidex waistband and inner bamboo brief too.

8 miles of easy during lunch - could do with a power nap now.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am fairly unadventourous with shorts. I have 4 pairs of nike dry fit, plain black, 4 inch shorts.

Mr v- Forgot to respond to your comment re the 3 x 15 min thresholds. I certainly do NOT! I dont think I ever will either. 3 X 2 miles, 4 x 10 minutes or a continuous 25 minutes is about as far as I intend taking them.

Madbee- You were worrying about your murky orange marathon cell the otherday and MCf potentially sandbagging. You might want to look a little further afield with your concerns. With Tommy, Marrows and Charlie all about to hit sub 40 in the next month or two, I could find myself in orange with a 3.18 marathon.

7.3 miles at lunchtime. Been having some nerve impingement pain again in my lower left leg, as I was last summer. It got a little too uncomfortable today, that it has kickstarted me into doing something about it so I ordered one of these as a starter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005EWE10Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It helped quite a lot when i had it last year and the physio was treating me so i thought instead of paying £37 a week to have half an hour with one, i'd get my own and use it every night.

• Options

Jeeeesus! And I'm worried about spending £25 on a pair of shortsimage

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, but in a month it will have paid for itself!!!

I was spending £150-£200 a month on physio until injury stopped me running. Since October ive only spent £128 on physio, but have found nothing else to spend the rest of my pot on, so I have a fun fund at the minute.

• Options

Put it towards an earlier retirement ?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Lit - do you think the RH shorts are better than the SIS belt for holding gels ?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

mace - yes, I think so. Might have another practice run with the belt to make sure though. Current thinking is: you never quite forget you've got the belt on as you have to do it up pretty tightly to stop it bouncing or sagging, and has to go round smallest part of waist. Shorts didn't feel noticeably weighed down by gels (though admittedly only had two in the pockets on Sunday) and it's one less thing to have to wear.

Hmm. £37 for half an hour, a 'fun fund', and the fact that that thing looks like a retro sex toy. There's got to be a joke in there somewhere.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy- Im in my 30s (just) so considerations such such as that are a lifetime away and I leave my house and pension to sort that.

You have to spend frivilously now and again just to maintain morale!!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm only 32 and I wish I were retired already.

• Options

On the subject of being ill and injured all the time and pensions I've just seen this magnificent performance - apologies if everyone else has already seen it. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lmykh

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, he was on radio 2 this morning. He said he only took up running 7 months ago!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

Yes, but in a month it will have paid for itself!!!

I was spending £150-£200 a month on physio until injury stopped me running. Since October ive only spent £128 on physio, but have found nothing else to spend the rest of my pot on, so I have a fun fund at the minute.

Wow, what was taking such a colossal outlay?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

I am fairly unadventourous with shorts. I have 4 pairs of nike dry fit, plain black, 4 inch shorts.

Mr v- Forgot to respond to your comment re the 3 x 15 min thresholds. I certainly do NOT! I dont think I ever will either. 3 X 2 miles, 4 x 10 minutes or a continuous 25 minutes is about as far as I intend taking them.

Madbee- You were worrying about your murky orange marathon cell the otherday and MCf potentially sandbagging. You might want to look a little further afield with your concerns. With Tommy, Marrows and Charlie all about to hit sub 40 in the next month or two, I could find myself in orange with a 3.18 marathon.

7.3 miles at lunchtime. Been having some nerve impingement pain again in my lower left leg, as I was last summer. It got a little too uncomfortable today, that it has kickstarted me into doing something about it so I ordered one of these as a starter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005EWE10Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It helped quite a lot when i had it last year and the physio was treating me so i thought instead of paying £37 a week to have half an hour with one, i'd get my own and use it every night.

I had a look at something similar, and aborted the plan as I put it down to being another one of my "crazy ideas", so am interested how it's worked out for you.

Is it literally the equivalent of having a massage to unknot muscles? Is it safe just to be waving it over yourself?

Is it anything like those "toning pads" from yonks back, where you'd stick them on your stomach, and after a while the charge would dull. You'd then move, and get one hell of an electrical shock!

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

I'm only 62 and can strongly recommend early retirement image.

Just popping in to say hello.  I'm somewhat in awe of all the superb running going on around here.  Hope you can all avoid mishaps and convert great training into great race results.  Meanwhile I've finally shaken off my man-flu and have churned out over 50k per week for the last fortnight.  Still nowhere near my previous pace/heart rate stats though.  Looks like I'm in for a long haul back to full fitness.  Hope I get there before I reach 95.  But reaching 95 would be amazing in itself. Nuff rambling.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

I wouldn't count in it for me!

New trainers arrived today, Sauncony Kinvara 4's. They are very green. Feel a bit wide compared to Adidas but very light and pretty comfy (walking round the house).

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Come on, Tommy, you're my "one to watch" this year.  No false modesty, please, I expect jurassic improvements image.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was having a physio session a week plus a sports massage so 4 x 37 plus ??35.

For the last two years I've had a stream of problems non my left hand side, almost entirely in lower leg or bottom of hamstring. I've had various basic assessments on muscle strength, basic level biomechanics etc but no apparent reason so it comes and goes in various forms. Always at niggle status.

The electric stimulation is very much like what those slendertone belts are like. I use to have one in my 20s. The concept of them came from the use if electric stimulation in physiotherapy. The ultrasound you don't feel a thing. They squirt gel on you and just pass the device over you. The idea of ultrasound is that the waves breaks down deep inflamattion and scar tissue. Its fairly widely used by physios.

When I was treated by it last year it seemed to work. Plus, I go back to that physio I know that is what he will use. Therefore I just as well buy my own for cost of five visits.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

can see why that'd make sense!

I went to a physio who pretty much believed any niggle could be fixed by snapping your back. At times he'd also whirr some device over my legs too, but can't pretend I saw any benefit from that. However, from what you describe seems a sensible outlay.

I'm so frugal/tight that even some Osteo appointments I'm pretty much getting for free through work I think twice about doing! I think it comes from upbringing of not liking the idea of private treatment versus NHS.

• Options
    PeteHew wrote (see)

I'm only 62 and can strongly recommend early retirement image.

Just popping in to say hello.  I'm somewhat in awe of all the superb running going on around here.  Hope you can all avoid mishaps and convert great training into great race results.  Meanwhile I've finally shaken off my man-flu and have churned out over 50k per week for the last fortnight.  Still nowhere near my previous pace/heart rate stats though.  Looks like I'm in for a long haul back to full fitness.  Hope I get there before I reach 95.  But reaching 95 would be amazing in itself. Nuff rambling.

Hi Pete - good to hear from you - 30 miles a week sounds lovely. I'm not interested in any HR info but is it improving each week? How old were you when you retired?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hi Pete! Glad you are over the manflu and back to regular running.

I went for my run this evening as I was waiting in for a delivery this morning (between 7 and 10) and didn't think I could (be bothered to) get 14 miles in before 7am. In a mace-like cock-up, I'd got caught up in work and ended up leaving the house later than planned, so ended up rampaging along muddy trails in the near-dark with no lights. Luckily they are at least trails I know reasonably well in daylight, so I didn't end up in the river, though there was a terrifying moment when a black dog zoomed past me.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

I'm not interested in any HR info but is it improving each week? How old were you when you retired?

Thanks, Skinny and lit.  Small improvements but possibly not statistically significant! "Perceived effort" is dropping though so that's got to be good.  I retired at 58 but was taken back on part-time for a year.  Feel sorry for you youngsters who won't get full pensions until you're somewhat older.  Steer clear of the black dog, lit!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm trying Pete but it's difficult when I know by the time I retire there probably won't be any pensions at all. Luckily I have developed an alternative way of funding my retirement, based on not having any children and using all of the money I will save to buy champagne and helicopters.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Good plan except I don't believe there will be any helicopters when you retire either!  Maybe a solar-powered microlight? 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Okay, champagne and hoverboards like in Back to the Future.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I definitely think 'not having children' is an excellent saving plan!

Stevie, I used to resent paying money out on physio and the like but now I'm a bit older and don't rationalise my bank balance against how many binge drinking sessions I can get or nice clothes, I'm quite happy to spend it on looking after myself. ??200 not that long ago was a weekends standard booze fund.

I am also trying to avoid going back to physio as in my experience they find things wrong with you that weren't causing you problems and before you know it you are paying to have things treated that were never a problem.
  • Options
    Probably no champagne either. Most likely Scottish fizz will be a la mode.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Last time I went to a physio she gave me some helpful advice, charged me £35 and told me she never wanted to see me again. Maybe I was just lucky?

Edit: don't be silly Lou, there will always be champagne. With the 'no children' plan I'll be able to afford the vintage stuff, too. image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    At one point in physio she told me I had tennis elbow and would need to treat that. It was just a bit tight as I was doing a lot of spin. I explained I had no interest in that being treated!

I have a champagne rack in kitchen full with 12 bottles, largely stocked with bottles bought as gifts. I now cannot drink one until someone else buts me a 13th bottle to restock it!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Can't you just keep the normal wine in there too?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No....my wife raises this argument. Its a champagne rack. I won't allow even prosecco on it. I have a bottle of moet grand 2000 vintage. That is set aside for the day I get a pb in 5k, 10k or half!!! Let's hope it doesn't ruin in the interim!