Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Good 10 miler this morning Skinny. I'm not racing - I had my quota with the 5 mile race the week before last and the half last Sunday. Tomorrow just has a long run in store to bring me up to 50 miles for the week.
  • Options

Get well soon those who are ill!

19:33 parkrun at Worcester for me this AM. This was the last time they did the alternative winter start and I can't say I like it. Got myself nicely at the front and then about 200 kids and plodders somehow parked themselves in front of me. Then I spent the whole thing realising that I was still flat and weary after all and wishing it was over. So business as usual. But pleased with the time (course PB - streak now up to 10!) I knew there were quite a few in front and I thought it's because I was slow, but the results show a bunch of fast younguns were up ahead.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Oh dear Lit. Sorry to hear you are not well. 

Well done Charlie!  Is that a 5K pb as well as a course PB?

DT were you receiving clients with the air freshener etc.?

I've just got back from a skiing holiday with ill people, and hope I didn't get the bug.  It was fun. Many bits are slightly sore now.

• Options

Hi Marrows and thanks. No my pb was 2 weeks ago - 19:19 at Arrow Valley.

Glad you had good skiing. Bit jealous if I'm honest!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Lit is ILL !!? Hope you're better today

I'm not going to say I haven't been ill for a very long time as that's tempting fate.

Weight yesterday am was 11-7 and I expect to see that drop a bit over the next 6 weeks with, as mentioned, my appetite seemingly dropping off a bit. I also seem to be craving fruit, veg, eggs and beetroot at the moment instead of bread, biscuits etc so my diet is hopefully changing for the better without any effort.

24 with a clubmate this morning ( he did 20 ) @ 7:29 ave which included miles 21 and 22 @ about MP and mile 23 @HMP which got the HR nicely up into the threshold beats per minute that I failed to hit in my threshold run on Friday.

87miles for the week and now thinking about a 3mile recovery this evening to satisfy my mild OCD
  • Options
    Crikey Mace. Thought I was doing well with a hilly 16 in 1.58. Sod the diet though - relaxed with a pain au chocalat, a banana, a pint of chocolate milk and a cup of tea afterwards. I have no compulsion to do a recovery run later !
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Marrows- no, we have separate meeting offices. Meetings in your own office are a data protection risk. Though I think there had been so much of it the general stinkiness was on me for day.

Charlie- good work on the 5k. Don't suppose you fancy meeting at arrow valley on last sat of month? I have a rare parkrun opp and could chase you around at your seemingly even pace!

Mace- nice running....again. I wouldn't be to keen to do another 3!

I'm off out for 90 ish minute run later. I finally feel normal today. Did 7 miles yesterday but felt like I'd just eaten a massive meal then had to stop at 4.5 miles to poo. Fingers crossed thats the last of it.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. I am feeling much better today. In fact, after spending all of yesterday reading novels and drinking tea my temperature had dropped two degrees back down to normal by dinner time. Though this might just be a measure of how unexciting I find Andre Gide.

So: 22 miles at 7:35/mile this morning and it was not as windy as yesterday but still quite windy confirming that a long run in 21mph wind with a fever yesterday would probably have been a mistake. I took some gels with me for practice and then forgot all about them until mile 14, which was helpful as it proved that the ronhill cargo shorts are even better than a gel belt. So I took one, which produced no discernible effects of any kind, then couldn't be bothered with the other one and carried it home. Otherwise the run was uneventful.

I will also not be doing a 3 mile recovery run this evening. Not even a 0.3 mile one, even though Garmin Connect tells me I have run 64.7 miles this week. That's how much I don't have OCD.

• Options

Lit - Apart from the Robin Hood wobble, in the couple of years or so I've known you, I don't think I remember you being ill, nor miss a planned run. Any better today?

Skinny - Like the sound of the steady run. Not sure I'd fancy the long one you'll be piling on top of it though.

Jealous of the skiing, marrows. Went once when I was 13, loved it, and have always fancied another try but never got round to it.

Another solid parkrun, Charlie - can't knock it while the streak continues.

Good long running Muddy and particularly Mace. I have no more superlatives.

Enjoy your run, DT - I'm sure in her fragile state, Lit will have enjoyed the latest instalment of your bowel troubles!

No race for me today. The forecast looked ok, but I still had rather tired legs (and a slightly tight hammy) on a second consecutive recovery run yesterday afternoon, so canned both Weston and Kibworth. This also meant I could properly enjoy a meal and a few drinks either side of a trip to see A View From The Bridge at the theatre. Having said that I did wake at 8am and the sun shining through the curtains did prompt a glance out of the window. The swaying trees saw me climb back into bed however. image

Early reports from Tommy suggest windy conditions, and a tougher course than expected, so it was probably the right decision.

The two recovery days do seem to have done the trick with the legs however, so I might incorporate a 2 x 2 @ LT into a run once the wind and rain has blown through later this afternoon.

• Options

X-Post, Lit - good stuff. image

• Options

Pleased to hear you are better Litimage

A holiday during P&D marathon plan Marrows - is that allowed - if so feel sorely tempted right now.

Good parkrunning Charlie.

Great training runs Mace and Muddy but obviously Mace's near marathon seems particularly mental.

Hope the niggles are nothing Bob and I can confirm it is windy here too.

Just back from 19.5 miles in a fairly sedate 8:09 average with the first 2.5 with Mrs Skinny. Found it tough again.image 

She made me laugh this morning by looking at me incredulously when I suggested I needed to practice drinking waterimage

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Just back from 19.5 miles in a fairly sedate 8:09 average with the first 2.5 with Mrs Skinny. Found it tough again.image 

Hmm, are you being a bit unfair to yourself there - i.e. if the first 2.5 miles were with Mrs Skinny, I'm guessing they were a lot slower and are what makes the average sedate, and that the rest of the run was a fair bit less sedate? In which case it is not surprising it was tough. Especially as I thought it was only 18 after your 10 mile + golf double yesterday?

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Glad you're feeling better, lit.

Some great long running by everyone!

Jealous of the skiing, marrows.

Hope your run was uninterrupted today, DT.

Well I did the 5 mile race today, and just missed out a PB, albeit on a tougher course and with a strong wind in the face for miles 4 and 5. I was aiming for 32:30 and was slightly ahead of target at the 3 mile sign before turning back into the wind shortly after this point. It was also uphill from ~3 to 4.5 miles and I just drifted off pace to the finish. The course also had a couple of short sharp hills which nobody had mentioned before and two sections (including the finish) over slippery grass, which wasn't ideal as it began raining lightly shortly after the start.

Slight disappointed, but given the course and the conditions, I guess it was to be expected. Considering a couple of localish 10k's in the next 6 weeks or so and possibly a HM.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done Tommy. Wind is a bastard, isn't it? But don't worry; you can get your 5 mile PB at the pancake-flat Trent 5 in May. image

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

The wind is a bastard, yes. I've got the Trent 5 pencilled in.

• Options

Unlucky Tommy - sounds like a good run by you ruined by the wind although you don't mention your time.

literatin wrote (see)
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Hmm, are you being a bit unfair to yourself there - i.e. if the first 2.5 miles were with Mrs Skinny, I'm guessing they were a lot slower and are what makes the average sedate, and that the rest of the run was a fair bit less sedate? In which case it is not surprising it was tough. Especially as I thought it was only 18 after your 10 mile + golf double yesterday?

Yes as ever you are completely right - on checking the last 17.5 miles were at a less sedate 7:53 so a good effort. Also with my run yesterday I set it up to be a tough run so really shouldn't be surprised when that's how it turns out - it was supposed to be 17 - I basically used the 10mm with Mrs Skinny as bonus miles.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Update: just been out to the corner shop to buy some crisps and it is gorgeous weather! Almost like spring, but much windier. Also I can report that running 22 miles seems to have cured my sore throat, but made me 50% snottier.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

33:03 I think, Skinny.

EDIT: results show 33:06. I've realised that I finished just after lit's ex-club-mate Tim, who was about 45 seconds down on last years time and another guy I've raced recently who was slower by a similar amount compared to his time last year. Have to take some positives!

EDIT 2: not the right Tim, or the right club for that matter. Whoops.

• Options
    Running always acts as a decongestant for me Lit.

Hard luck Tommy, the Beeston 5 beckons.

Going above and beyond Skinny, impressive. Is it downhill all the way now in terms of mileage ?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Skinny, it's a 19.5mile run! That's a monster run.

I think you need to remember to the niggle days where 20miles would be your total week mileage, and think how far you've come to be doing that in 1 go! image

• Options
    Tommy that's not bad bearing in mind conditions.

Muddy not quite yet.

Coach - yes obviously what you say is true but I am only suffering what most first time marathoners suffer from - a desperate need to get some indication that those last 6 miles will be okay and that MP truly will be okay on the day.

Anyway 6 weeks to survive including 3 weeks taper then I'll be able to find out.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

On the day, it'll come together.

Obviously I'd hate to do one myself and even now I finish a 14miler and think, "that was plenty", but you'll be fine image

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Some fab long runs going on there this weekend.  I'll chuck mine into the hat.  I do have mild OCD with these things but Lou's parents live up a really steep hill and could not be arsed to do the requisite running up and down the road to get it to 21 so 20.7 it was at 8:48 ave.  But it did mean I'd run a pleasing 50 miles bob on for the week.  

Was also the inaugural run of the cargo shorts as recommended by Lit.  They are comfy if unflattering.  Therefore will prob be my marathon shorts due to lack of chafing..  

Marrows - uber-jealous on the skiing.  We've not been since our honeymoon. Prob my favourite ever way to spend a week. Hopefully might be able to go next year when I'm back at work and earning again.  

Bastard wind, Tommy.  Next time you'll have it.  

Sounds like an enjoyable trip to the theatre, Bob.  Am sure your legs feel much better for a bit of culture.  

• Options

Some longtastic running going on there Skin. Taking a step away from running and back to reality for a moment... 19.5 miles is kind of insane.

Nice 5 miler Tommy. Bloody wind! If that bastard comes anywhere near my 10k next Saturday I'll... I'll... Just don't come anywhere near Long Marston, wind!

(Unless you are a tailwind that mysteriously disappears when I loop back.)

DT, that could be a plan re Arrow Valley. I reckon I am a consistent pacer but only because 5k is the only pace I have dialled into since I started again, so I know it well. Pencil it in.

• Options

Skinny - As above, you just ran 19.5m, mister!

Good effort, Tommy. The Tim you are referring to today is usually a bit quicker than that, but a little off the boil at the moment. He, and his clubmate Richard were the two who unwittingly dragged me round to my 18:51 in August at Beeston. We were all separated by 2 seconds there and it remains all of our respective parkrun PBs. I hope my base period reaps its rewards later in the year, as I see Richard broke 30 mins today. If not, I need to ask him what he's been doing over the winter so I can take a leaf out of his book next year! Beeston 5 clashes with one of my Vets league dates this year unforch.

Great effort today and this week, McF. Good run from Lou too I see via Connect. And yes, the legs had got their bounce back by the time I got out there late this afternoon, thanks.

I'm going to have to ditch the HR training though, just finding it confusing now. LT appeared to be close to 160bpm some months ago, but even a conservative 155 seemed to be too much on a 2 x 2m effort this afternoon. Despite a near 3m mixed pace WU, getting HR up was hard work in first mile, and when it clocked at 6:14 I understood why. Felt like a cross wind in Mile 2, but may have been helping the 6:19 (154bpm) a little. 2 mins walk/jog recovery, and back into the wind with 6:29 (152bpm) and 6:24 (153bpm) for the last. I think the 153bpm was about right, so now I'm just bamboozled.

Still, that was a manageable enough 4m with one fairly short recovery at ~6:21/m which is around 10k PB pace, and significantly inside Sunday's Rushcliffe disaster at 6:28/m! 10 miles in total with 3 shorts bursts of mile pace efforts to keep me interested in a lengthy warm down. Scratching my head on where it leaves me though, so think I'll go back to doing these sort of sessions to what McMillan tells me they ought to be, and just use HR to moderate easy/recovery efforts.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Lit – Do you hit the existentialist stuff when you are ill then!? The Plague is great though Gide can be a little dry. Well done on getting well again after only a day of illness.

Mace – Good sign you are fresh enough to ramp up the pace in the last couple of miles. Not a bad weekly mileage there either!

Tommy – Good effort there and looks like a PB would have been on the cards in better conditions/ on a faster course.

Bob – Sounds a pretty decent session there. I’ve never been able to get on with HR training. If it felt the right effort I’m sure it is!

I did a few runs over the weekend though nothing particularly noteworthy. Foot feeling a bit sore at the moment so may add in a rest day today instead of an easy.

• Options

Bob - I won't try and engage with the HR and bpm stuff - I'm sure someone HR literate will be along in a bit to post some complex stuff about why its okay. For what it's worth it sounds like a good run to me. 

Meanwhile I bought a 6 pack of hot cross buns for the heavily discounted price of 50p before my roast dinner last night and they had all gone before I went to bed.

One energy gel - a bit yuk and approx 50p

Six hot cross buns - a lot yummy and approx 50p - good value.

Just need to find out if Ron Hill sells shorts you can fit 24 hot cross buns in and I'll be sortedimage

XPost with Mr V - look after your foot - I would imagine its tough running without them.

• Options

As the 'bastard wind' deprived Tommy of a 5m PB by 10 seconds the only updates this week are:-

Madbee getting a year older and becoming a thirty something - even if that something is nothing image

Mace doing 90 miles a week and putting on a pound - not the greatest dietary example of the benefits of running!

• Options

And finally

This week's P&D stupid question

This Sunday I should be running 18 miles with 14 at MP. My plan is to run a hilly 12.1 mile race which will hopefully remove the need to drain every ounce of effort striving for a PB whilst still being a very good work out.

So 5 mile warm up, the race, 0.9 mile CD is the plan. I'm planning to run the race at slow end of HM pace plus or minus what the hills do to me - at one point there is a climb of about 400 feet over a mile and a half followed by a drop of 500 feet over 3 miles so its not going to be even paced!

My question is whether doing 18 miles with 12 hilly at HMP is a good substitute for the planned 18 with 14 at MP - or is the 14 at MP a key session I should be running on my own?