Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Just a quick look in Daniels and Phase 4 comprises various combinations of 1600m (R) and 800m (F) paced reps with a few threshold paced intervals.  So sessions like like 2*(1000m T, 2*400m R, 4*200m F) are typical. 1min rest after the T and equal distance jog recoveries (ie long recoveries) after the R and F paced reps.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    McFlooze wrote (see)

.  Where is Bob when you need him?  

Bob's been running round in circles very quickly recently, although I ran about 5 miles with him on Monday at a very leisurely pace.

I'm going to attempt to run at half marathon pace tonight. That should be nice.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

what 5 miler are you doing, mcf?

I did 8.5 miles today, easy paced but very hilly. Planning a long run tomorrow.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

McF, not a clue on what you should be doing, but good luck with all the racing image

DT, hills are brilliant.  I hate them, but having done more hilly trail runs this year I felt a lot stronger than I did so they definitely have benefits.

Tommy, how did the HM pace go? image

Get well soon, Mudlet.

I made a dogs dinner of the Clive Cookson 10K on Wednesday night.  A decent PB at 42:08 but nowhere near what I should have been capable of.  This was due to
    1.  A slight rise complete with head wind throughout miles 1 and 4,
    2.  A suicidal 6:20 for mile 2 
    3.  A really congested first mile involving lots of ducking round people and accelerating to get past them without tripping them up as they slowed down within about 400m of the start
    4.  Not caring enough and sort of giving up during mile 4
    5.  Some really annoying bloke heavy breathing down my ear causing me to stick in some ill-advised bursts of speed too early on in order to lose him.

So I died a miserable death in the second half, basically.  But comfortingly, not nearly as badly as many others did, as I overtook a lot in the last mile or so.  Anyway, it'll do - still pretty shit but 2 minutes quicker than my ancient PB.  

Then yesterday I went cycling with a group for the first time - I was very uncertain of my ability and I turned up with my little hybrid bike that looked very much like a child's toy next to all the swish road bikes, so explained how useless I was going to be and please be gentle with me, only to find it a complete doddle so may keep quiet next time and just go for it.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Madbee - I know I have more issues with recovery than everyone else, and that I seem to be being way more cautious with the return to proper training, but don't forget that that that 10k (massive PB image) was only three weeks after London. There is absolutely no way I could even attempt a 10k now, but if I did, I certainly couldn't maintain a decent pace for more than half of it without dying. Just because your legs are feeling better (mine felt entirely normal three days after London) doesn't mean the rest of your body has caught up. And 10ks require speed endurance that I think you just don't have post-marathon - you'd be more likely to get away with the kind of shenanigans Tommy has been up to.

• Options
    Madbee wrote (see)

A decent PB at 42:08 

imageimageimage

Sounds like room for improvement too which as you like 10k so much image is excellent news as it gives you a good reason to run another!

I drove back from Lancashire last night and realised an hour into the journey that I had left my suitcase behind so turned a 2 hour car journey into a 4 hour car journey - very annoyed with myself image.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Madbee for some reason it seemed to be a tough night with most people well down on their expected times. There were quite few drop outs as well (including me) so I think your run was probably better than you thought it was.

ps I spotted you a couple of times and was going to come over and say hello but you always seemed to be running and I'd have felt awkward chasing after you!

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Madbee - massive PB image! Great stuff. As lit say's it's not that long since London and you'll be a bit fatigued. When I did the 5 mile race 10 days after London, I was fine for the first 3 miles, slowed through the fourth mile and only narrowly avoided a complete detonation during the last mile, if it was a 10k I think I would have had to slow right up in the last mile and some.

Skinny - whoops.

Mr V - were you a DNF or a DNS?

My HMP session went pretty well last night. It was tempo Thursday at the club, prescribed session was 4*8 mins with 60 second recoveries. Ended up covering ~1.25miles during each set so a total of 5 miles at about 6:30 pace, which is probably a leetle bit too quick but it felt about the right intensity. Might start Edinburgh at that pace and see what happens (wheels falling off after about 10 miles I suspect).   

• Options

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562644/Runner-70-left-cuts-dive-bombed-repeatedly-buzzard-took-10km-race.html

Not sure if you buzzard victims saw this or not - perhaps as younger specimens the buzzard does not see you as easy prey yet and is just sizing you up until you get a bit older?

Doesn't sound good V - what happened?

Well done Tommy and yes, 10 miles is normally the point in a HM where you discover that the tempo pace you have been running for 10 miles is in fact only your tempo pace and not your HMP and you have to endure the 3 mile death march to the end.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

I was a DNF rather than DNS. Just man flu coupled with rather humid conditions. I actually managed 6 miles which is a stupid point to drop out. But I thought I was going to be sick so thought I'd better stop. 

• Options
    Well done Madbee and commiserations Mr V. On Connect it looked like you'd ran an enviable 10k image

The muddy-son-ster is now back to unbearable energy levels albeit with a nasty cough. I felt unwell for a couple of days too so took Weds and Thurs off. Cutback week it is, then.

Good luck to Charlie in Worcester half this weekend. I expect big things...(I think they call them hills). Hope everyone else escapes deluges and viruses and enjoys their weekends.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Sunday, Charlie.

Just been out for a hilly 15. Quite enjoyable but had to finish with two faster miles of around 7.18mm due to toilet need. I actually felt looser and better running those last two though compared to most of the others.
  • Options

Thanks both. Good weekend all. Grats MadBee!

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Well done, Madbee. Benefit of a still soft PB is that you get to smash it all over again.

DT - it's Ryton Pools 5. WRRL. Not til Thursday night.

Good luck, Charlie!

Disappointing, Mr V. But I'm sure you'll be back at it soon.

Skinny - that sounds infuriating and exactly the sort of thing I'd do.

7 buggy miles today, was ok. Doing a colour run for my eldest's birthday on Sunday. Only 2.5k but should be fun for the kids I hope.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Madbee on the disappointing pb.

Skinny, that sounds like something my wife would do but I would be the one sorting out its return!

Is that flat, mcf?
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

I'd say so, DT.  It's 3 laps of a country park - one bigger, 2 smaller.  Slight meanderings up and down I think but reckoned to be a pretty fast course.  Surface is not tarmac all the way though - would say it's a bit like Centurion 5 (hopefully not torrential freezing rain like that one though)...  It's the race my club put on.  It will have quite a few fast guy out there as it's in the WRRL so might help you get pulled along. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ok, might come along if my wife is home in time as she's up in Halifax for the day with work.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    If not then Sphinx 5 is a couple of weeks later but Lou doing that one.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I cant make that date, have a work drinks event. Hopefully I can make this Thursday.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    So I tried one of the sessions off SGs thread. I picked 4x600m as it seemed easiest to administer (if not actually do). Aimed for mile pace and came out at 5.40 per mile average. Left decent recoveries. Very disconcerting feeling about half way around the third repeat where I felt like the ground had turned into custard or something. Bit like when you're dreaming and you can't run! Then ran home on jelly legs. Amazingly knackered for only 1.5 miles of effort. Good session. Hopefully it will make 5 mile pace feel nice and gentle on Thursday.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ouch, that sounds like hard work! Well done McF.

• Options

No PB for me at the Worcester HM. This route remains a enigma to me. DT pointed out on Connect that it's more up and down than the elevation suggests, but it was even more like that at Droitwich a couple of months ago and I did way better there. In fact it was Droitwich that made me think I could get low 86 here, especially with the 18.55 parkrun last week. But I got 88.51. Kind of surprised because I did feel like I was pushing it most of the 2nd half. I had a sore lower back after 2 miles - possibly from gardening yesterday - so maybe it was that. Anyway, I stuck with my group and managed to leave them all behind in the last mile, so I feel like I've run a decent race.

Next target: Pitchcroft 10k in 5 weeks time. I'm stopping short of calling it a PB attempt though.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Probably just a bad day, Charlie. I know it's disappointing but I'm sure it will come good. Are you following a plan for Pitchcroft?

I did one of those colour runs this morning. Bit of an eye opener. Can't remember people getting in a quick ciggie before any other race I've run! Ran with my 4 year old as the 8 year old bombed off to try and win (came seventh). Absolutely covered in paint so fun was had by all. Then this afternoon just did 7 miles off road. CBA to do a long run as was full of a v nice burger and sticky toffee pudding.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done again, McF - if it was me I'd have had a giant glass of wine with my burger and written off the afternoon run altogether.

I know it's not what you wanted, Charlie, but that's still a decent HM performance and not wildly out of line with your recent 5k and (especially) 10k times. I know you said your training had been more half marathon specific, but perhaps you're just a bit better trained for speedier stuff than endurance just now. Having extensive recent experience of not being fit enough to run PBs, I would count it as a good run if you felt good at the right effort level, and a bad one if you felt like shit.

• Options

Madbee - congratulations on the pbimage

Charlie - You should n't be too disconcerted by worcester.  I know a few runners who all finished a minute or two slower than I would expect.

DT - Ryton is not flat: It undulated and weaves gently round the lakes.  No doubt you could find a quicker course, but it is pb-able and teh twists and turns make it a fun course to race as you can pretend you're a tactical genius when planning your overtaking moves.

I did 6 tempo on saturday, in the wind on my usual undulating circuit.  Averaged 6:35 for the six miles.  Then Twelve miles yesterday, which felt like hard work.  I got a new watch for my birthday (43 when you next update the TTT) which tells you whether you've recovered from the previous session.  usually it say Good, but on Sunday it said Fair, which was ..um fair.

It also does cadence and vertical oscillation and all that stuff, which, as I'm sure you'll all agree is fascinating stuff.

• Options

Above updated for:-

Charlie - knocking 9 secs off his 5k PB which took him under 19 minutes with a magnificent sprint finish over the last 0.11 miles.image

Madbee crushing her 10k PB by 2:12 image whilst also having a really rubbish run with lots of excuses as to why it was only a 2 minute PBimage.

Lou getting a relay team medal and also getting older - happy birthday Louimage

McF also getting a relay team medal by winning the relays image - excellent and continues the excellent post baby performances (I'm thinking of having one myselfimage)

Honourable mentions should also go to McF team running a course record in the relay race and Tommy running the furthest of the current TTT members (I think RH may have run a similar distance but much further). I did consider trying to squeeze both these bits of information into the TTT somewhere but couldn't be arsed in the end.

Well done all.

• Options
    lou Diamonds wrote (see)

I did 6 tempo on saturday, in the wind on my usual undulating circuit.  Averaged 6:35 for the six miles.  Then Twelve miles yesterday, which felt like hard work.  I got a new watch for my birthday (43 when you next update the TTT) which tells you whether you've recovered from the previous session.  usually it say Good, but on Sunday it said Fair, which was ..um fair.

It also does cadence and vertical oscillation and all that stuff, which, as I'm sure you'll all agree is fascinating stuff.

I did 6 miles at MP on Sunday (I'm aiming for one quality run and one race a month at the moment and not really worrying about speed work). The evidence of the last month is that might come anyway without running quality sessions.

I don't do HR so it's a little more subjective but I ran 6 at 6:42 yesterday compared with 6 at 6:47 six weeks ago and was in better shape at the end yesterday. My watch tells me my cadence was 181 which is higher than normal - I'm wondering if the spinning is having a positive effect.

EDIT: So 6 at 6:35 on a windy undulating route sounds pretty speedy with a 12 mile chaser the next day - a good weekend's work Lou.

EDIT 2: It is slightly amusing that Tommy has run a 31 mile ultra and also his best WAVA is from a 100m race.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Hello!  I'm back from another holiday image.

Well done to Charlie on the 5k pb and to the McFlomonds for their relay successes but heartiest congratulations to Madbee on the stonking 10k pb imageimageimageimage.

I only managed one ponderous run of just under 9k on my travels but I have still managed to acquire two new pbs image,   46:11 for 10k (Wigan 2014) and 45:45 for "Short10k" (Trafford 2014).  That's assuming Wigan isn't also being re-measured...

I really must get my arse into gear and try to put that right, especially as I am now over four minutes adrift at the RHS of the bronze league image.  There's no time like the future so tomorrow the fightback begins (jet lag permitting).

• Options

Thanks for the table update Skinny. I see Velloo is slipstreaming me - impressive stats there image

I think you're right, Lit (and Lou) - the Worcester result is OK. Like I said, I felt like I put a proper shift in. Plus it turns out I came 17th out of 700, which sounds alright. I can't think why I would be better trained for faster stuff though - all I've done for months now is easy pace and more or less MP, plus the odd bout of segment attacks every few weeks. But I did feel strong doing that 0.11 miles in 1 second flat!