Options

Ironman Wales 2013

Comments

• Options

i have calf guards now and will not be wearing them to the breifing as i want to keep them clean for the big day.........image

i have ran and cycled this week........i need to swim soon.......there seems to be a mile swim at porthcawl on saturday in the sea...£15 is a bit steep but at least it will mean i will get wet

• Options

I have calf guards and I may wear them to the briefing ....

• Options

So, four weeks tohospital will all be over, and we'll be waking with achy muscles, and hopefully a smile on our face. 

Two more weeks of focused training for me, concentrating mainly in hills for leg strength on the bike and run, anx keeping the swim ticking over, then the taper madness can kick In

• Options

to hospital MTri...hopefully not

• Options

'hospital' WTF was I thinking, 'today' it should have read, but hopefully it wasn't a preminition.

• Options

Hi all, just a little bit of advise needed.  I am thinking of doing ironman wales 2014. I live locally to the race so can train all those horrible hills but have only just started swimming and cycling in April this year.  I did the long course weekend (the small distance of everything) and have run several marathons, my fastest this year in may was 3.39.  My hubby is doing the race this year and I am wondering if 12 months is enough time to get bike fit in?  any advise appreciated image

• Options

you are fit as you can run a good marathon time so definitely enough time to get bike fit...........and you can train on the course which is a bonus.........

• Options

seren nos ... thanks for the reply, guess I had better get training!!! good luck to all doing it this year, I will be on the side line cheering you all on.

• Options
    M...eldy wrote)

or have calf guards I may wear them to the briefing ....

Something your not telling us...like your racing?

• Options

Race numbers are out...well they would be if the email wasn't corrupted and un readable.

• Options

Proper email is out as well with correct numbers, race briefing times are a bit of a pain on both days but hey.

• Options

Starting to think about specifics for this race, and starting with the swim. 

When I did this in 2011, the year some ran down the beach, I started in the middle if the pack, both left to right, and front to back, and didn't really suffer any aqua ruck, possibly due to the runners, or the fact we wam along the beach from the start. 

However, working on the start line in 2012, and the revised course if straight out for about 100m before turning left, the first turn looked like a tight squeeze. 

So where do peeps think the best place to start is. On the left, and get battered at the first turn. Or on the right, and just swim a little further. 

• Options

My theory has always been, wait for the gun to go off, count to twenty and the start, everyone goes off too fast and it allows me to take at the carnage and pick my best line, over the day 20 seconds is not going to hurt me and if it saves me a kick in the face its been worth it.

• Options

The hardest bit is actually doing it...with all the adrenaline flowing its hard to stand still

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

We stood at the back for ages at Lanza. Probably nearer a couple of mins. From the description given, I'd say keep right if its a left turn. 

• Options

Roughly what swim time are you aiming for MRI?

• Options

Target is around the 1:10 mark. That's what I did in 2011, and at the Long Course

• Options

About the same as me, then. I would line up towards the front on the right, swim hard to the first buoy, turn slightly wide and then look to catch a draft from the people coming through on the inside of the turn. You'll be quicker if you can actually keep swimming round that turn, than if you turn tighter, but have more congestion.

• Options

The first 5mins of a 10+hour day aren't really that significant are they? If you pick up the right pair of feet for 3.4k you'll have a good swim regardless of where you start or if you choose to get battered for the first 400m. If you don't pick the right feet you won't. I certainly wouldn't be swimming hard at the start. You wouldn't sprint the first mile of a marathon would you?  At 1:10 you aren't looking to make the front pack and you won't be shelled out the back of the field either. 

As you were.

• Options

Im beginning to wonder if getting battered at the start or on the turns is a myth or just bad luck (you could get battered at any point by anyone).  Most of my heavier contact swims have been starting in the middle or towards the back.

Ive started pretty near the front now on the turn side in my last 8 events, im certainly not a fast swimmer but have been getting 1,06, 1.08 times.  I think I save maybe 5 minutes on the swim by saving time at the start, on the turns and getting a faster draft.  5 minutes does matter in the scheme of things, not to me maybe but its a big chunk of time.

Wales last year I dont remember any real contact, there was a bit of a log-jam getting round the first buoy but just be patient.

One other thing is spatial awareness, I try to sight ahead looking for jams to avoid and clear bits of water to swim into.

• Options
    Hi all

... I'm back......no training for a week and eating crap food...not the best peak training week to be sitting on my arse by a hospital bed but back home now.......I have my number image
  • Options

Seren, hope everything is ok at home now...good to see your still coming to play

• Options

i have a nice little sprint tri on sunday to look forward to.........haven't done it in years......a nice little 750m sea swim to get my wetsuit wet..........a few nice hills on the bike and a little run along the seafront and up to the rest......

think its the welsh championships so will just have to nobble all the other old ladies thereimage

• Options

Is it the Tuska Tri Seren?  Good event, and should be a nice blast before Tenby

• Options

yes Mtri.haven't done it for a few years.....Helen jenkins did it when i last did it,.....I beat her into the water but didn't see her once the gun had gone off image

• Options

Gun had gone off? you shot Helen Jenkins...image

• Options

I am hoping to come and watch so where would I best be standing to cheer people on and what time? Should I aim for Tenby itself and get there for the bike or the run?

• Options

Rocco - if you can, get there for the swim and then stay in Tenby.   the swim will be amazing to watch from the top of the bay, you'll then watch them running to T1, see them come back through Tenby on the bike for loop 2, and then see them weave their way through the town on the run with a few beers in hand.

it's an easy IM to support from within Tenby itself

• Options

Sounds like a great day. What time is the official swim start?