Options

PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

It's tough.  I've been seriously considering if I should even try to get in to Austria next year because I can't see work being any less demanding next Spring.  The thing is that IM training is how I deal with stress.  My other fear is that if I did drop IM entry next year and consequently trained even less, I'd have no outlet.  I've already written off Nice.  It is what it is, and it ain't gonna be pretty.  I'm now trying to work out my strategies to do a better job next year.  Mind you, my issue is work not idleness image

• Options

Have to agree, Work has been really getting in the way recently , But at least I am working, unlike my last IM when I had just been given the push !

As you say, It is what it is (and I've never been pretty)

• Options

Mouse, are you getting the 7am flight out from Bristol on the Friday?

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    No, Pingu, I'm not on that flight.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

I think I am seeing a pattern here - people are getting jaded with IM.  

fwiw - most of you have a few IM under your belts now and have fallen into a trap of signing up with a load of enthusiasm and then losing the desire or being waylaid by work, personal or other issues.   dare I say the challenge has gone and you're getting bored with it??  

OK - that's a generalisation and there are those for whom an IM is still a big deal as they are still competitive at the distance and want to compete, or it's a big part of their personal life without other distractions like partners, families, work to get in the way.  

I gave up on IM as I had nothing left to prove to myself - and I don't miss the training or all the hype that goes with it.  been there, got the  tattoo kind of thing.

but then I'm motivated by challenges and there are others to fill my life now - for me at the moment that's being a BTF ref and trying to improve there and help others enjoy the sport.  

I do wonder whether a number of you need to take a serious look at why you're doing IM and ask "why"?   sure - we're all different but I think I am seeing what I know I and others have gone through.

I'm just throwing this out there as a thought - be interested to see what people think

• Options

Work has been getting in the way, Not stopping me training tho....

Never raced abroad at a triathlon, So last unknown. Rallied for years on the continent, and did Paris marathon last year to keep Suzie company. Doing the Pirate trip abroad just seemed like the "last big thing" in triathlon at least.

Next year I have promised Min & Holgs I will have a go a Time Trialling

• Options

FB - I've got lots of improvement to make at IM distance, not bored by either the race or the training, just a case of life beating training coz after all it's only a hobby, rather be in this position than a full time athlete through unemployment. 

All being well I'll get a better run at things next time and be able to do a decent job of getting the training I need to improve, reality is that if I can get a good run at it, although I'll never get to Kona, I have the chance to be a lot quicker than previously, apart from Lanza (see above) every IM has been a pb, no reason to think that'll stop.

There are times after a good running race result I wonder if I could be really ace at just that again, but that's no more than a passing thought so far. It is nice to finish in the top 10% every time though image

• Options

I think I'm in the same boat as others!  Next to no training completed.  Life, family commitments and other shit etc...  

I'll swim, see how far around the bike course I get and see what time's left before deciding on an amble along the sea front or going into the pub!  

If I do complete it within the time it'll be a miracle!

Having sailed with the ship at Outlaw I thought I'd do more training this time around and try to do myself a little justice!  My main bike training week was cancelled so I'm stuffed really!  Hey-ho!  

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

FB - I don't think I'm jaded with IM yet.  I still very much enjoy (!) it and feel a great sense of achievement at the end.  There are particular courses that I still want to do.  I enjoy the friendships and camaraderie I have with my cohort of pirates and the same with the tri club I belong to.  I enjoy all three elements of triathlon.  All this in spite of the fact that I'm really not very good at it.  Like Symes, I feel I have more to gain, for me, from swimming and cycling.

For me, it's simply the balance.  I believe that there is little point in doing something if you don't give it the respect it deserves and this year work has prevented me from doing so.  If work is going to continue to cause issues, my logic is that I have to consider if I need to race shorter distances (or not race at all) in spite of the fact that I would rather be doing the IM distance. 

• Options

Are you all paying the extra baggage allowance for these sandbags? image

• Options
    They could do with more sand on the beach at Nice - keep bringing them !!
  • Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Are you all paying the extra baggage allowance for these sandbags? image

You clearly haven't seen my training data on Garmin Connect.....  it's less sandbagging, and more wishful thinking! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Does packing oboes count as training??

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Does packing oboes count as training??

Oh no.... not the 'wind section' joke..... image

• Options

FB you make a valid point its definately more of a mental challenge to train for subsequent IMs after the first couple when for me at least fear was a goid motivation

image i still love it 90% of the time and had a break last year when i went off and did my first ultra really looking forward to my first foreign race butvi will not deny its been a struggle fatigue wise this last few weeks and next year will be IM free gottacplan to finally crack a sub 3 marathon whilst i am still (hopefully) capable image

• Options
    Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

FB you make a valid point its definately more of a mental challenge to train for subsequent IMs after the first couple when for me at least fear was a goid motivation

Its a good point, as fear definitely motivates me for this, my first IM.... I am very nervous about being ready, and unclear about how ready I am, especially as i've had a few niggles in recent weeks, and been a bit down on what i'd really like, or had planned, to have done.

• Options

MC if you've a good training plan and stuck to it fairly well you will be fine, stay relaxed and keep a pisitive mental attitude remember its a challenge but it's also funimage

Also people with terminal illnesses, limbs missing etc, etc have cracked IM treat the first one as a bloody long training day with catering and an audience and you won't go far wrongimage

• Options

Doubt it will come as a surprise to anyone that the enthusiasm hasn’t faded with me.  There are many things I like about Ironman, many of which Mouse picked up on, i.e. camaraderie at races, holiday with friends etc.  It cant just be that though as ive been out to the likes of Arizona on my own for the weekend and still really enjoyed it.

There’s still something special about crossing the finish like, overcoming the odds (which in ways explained below are not always in my favour).  Many people have said to me I could do better, yes im sure I could, but finish time just doesn’t motivate me, it makes next to no difference to my enjoyment or feelings of self worth.  I did consider taking 6 months off this year to try and do better but decided it’d be for other people and not actually for me.  Im starting to wonder whether I should counter such suggestions by asking why they didn’t do better or be more competitive at School/University or that they could do better/be more competitive in their career (I could have done better in those to).

For me Ironman is just something I do that I enjoy, if I didn’t do it I don’t know what id do instead, though im fairly sure it would involve getting even fatter.  Ironman is a motivator that helps me stay fit.  In my teens I went to the football, partied and got drunk a lot, in my 20’s I played golf, partied and got drunk a lot, in my 30’s I started doing Ironman, partied less and am finding in my 40s I probably need to get out and get drunk more J

For those worrying about their training, a 17 cut-off is a long time, ive certainly winged it round plenty of events.  Contrary to popular belief, most years work or some kind of injury gets in the way.  Last year I was struggling with a bad back and only really managed 6-8 decent weeks training for Lanza, similarly for Henley I picked up the training again 6 weeks out.  In some ways its winging it round gets easier after years of racing as you retain some endurance and you also kinda know you can make it if you just keep going, the rest is stubbornness /mind over matter.

As far as my personal targets this year, im hoping to set two Ironman PBs.

• Options

Is there anyone coming to France that works or live in London (trying to arrange a shield handover).

Cheers

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

17 hours is a while but you'd miss the cut off in France if you take that long.image

Aside from that, wise words from the coach image

• Options
    MandMsMandMs ✭✭✭

I will be working in London for a couple if weeks prior to France.

• Options

Whats the cut off in France? Isn't it 17 hrs?

• Options

M and Ms, keep reading your name as Mr and Ms! 

• Options

16 hour cut off for France!  

I'll be going out towards the beginning of June for some work and driving down.  Company will pay for my crossing and diesel down, so if anyone wants anything slightly heavier taken out I plan on leaving about 6th June.  

I probably won't be returning before the middle of July though!!

• Options
    Prince Siegfried wrote (see)

Company will pay for my crossing and diesel down, so if anyone wants anything slightly heavier taken out I plan on leaving about 6th June.  

I probably won't be returning before the middle of July though!!

It would be great if you could take Barlos!  No worries about bringing him back tho image

• Options

LOL Schmunks! I think I'm starting to approach the Barlos weight bracket myself at the mo!

• Options
    Iron Pingu wrote (see)

Whats the cut off in France? Isn't it 17 hrs?

16 hrs i think?  keep running like you past me in Blaenafon & it will be easy for you!image

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Siggy - I wonder if you're driving if you'd be our gas cannister mule please?  Saves worrying about whether we can/can't sneak them on the plane, or buying them out there.

• Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Is there anyone coming to France that works or live in London (trying to arrange a shield handover).

Cheers

Golden Boots - but can he be trusted?image

• Options
    M..o.use wrote (see)

Siggy - I wonder if you're driving if you'd be our gas cannister mule please?  Saves worrying about whether we can/can't sneak them on the plane, or buying them out there.

Good shout Mouse, I'd be willing to chip in for a bulk order