Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

well done DB and razor

I am sulking and marking - think I might have pulled something in my thigh as it is really painful! I wasn't even doing much.......

well, I will swim tonight with the masters club even if I need to use a pullbuoy, the coach is used to half of having something wrong with us at various times!

• Options
    Take it easy Maths.
  • Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Just done my last longer run before next sunday's north london marthon (if we can figure out how to get to the start line). Only did 9 and a half when I wanted to do 12 but unfortunately both the wife and little boy are laid up with a nasty cold. 

Going to still swim this week because I feel like I am making real progress with it and do my normal rides on wed and thur and just sack off the long ride next saturday.

An afternoon of marking is my prize for being consistent in training although I might fit in a trip to decathlon as well.

• Options

simo - marking seems to be my punishment for not doing my half marathon!!

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

If there is one job i hate asa teacher its marking followed by speaking to teenagers and then speaking to colleagues.

• Options

haha - do you like anything about your job???

most of the time the kids are great, colleagues can be great although SLT can be arses

marking is a pain though....

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I was being facetious, love it most of the time. Not sure I'll make it yo 60 doing it though.

• Options

Well this afternoon I nearly didn't bother going out for one reason or another, despite the weather being glorious. In the end I tweaked the position on my road bike (dropped the stem by a couple of spacers, and raised the saddle a bit) and got out for 16 miles.

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Just done my last longer run before next sunday's north london marthon (if we can figure out how to get to the start line). Only did 9 and a half when I wanted to do 12 but unfortunately both the wife and little boy are laid up with a nasty cold. 

Going to still swim this week because I feel like I am making real progress with it and do my normal rides on wed and thur and just sack off the long ride next saturday.

An afternoon of marking is my prize for being consistent in training although I might fit in a trip to decathlon as well.

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Sacked off my normal ride this morning pushed it a little too hard last night

• Options

The clocks changed at the weekend over here so I've got more light in the evenings.  I did a few short sprints uphill.  It seemed harder to do repeated 200m sprints than a 5k.  Still it all helps I guess.

Keep going everyone.

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Sorry about your half marathon Maths.  Hope your leg is better soon.

It's quiet in here - I assume everyone is out training!  My swimming is improving slowly in that I can actually swim now and can swim the race distance comfortably, I just need to get (a lot) quicker.  I'm still sticking to the training plan though and everything seems to be going really well.  Did my intervals run today which was good and will go out on the bike tomorrow.

• Options

I've been quiet 'cos I've done bugger all so far this week. Just having a quick coffee now before heading out for a run, 4 to 6 miles

• Options

Same here mate, a case of CBAimage

• Options
    Went out, got carried away with the pace and nearly did a sub 25 minute 5k, but the wheels came off and I stopped at 2.6 miles and walked home.

Our local parkrun is cancelled tomorrow due to an event at the sports centre, so my current plan is to run the 7 miles up to the nearest alternative, do that then run home. Then do bugger all until it's time for swimming tomorrow afternoon
  • Options
    Good luck with that Matt.
  • Options

hi all

leg loads better now thanks, although I seem to have been under the weather too - too many pesky kids with viruses where I work!

however, have done a couple of runs, trying to do at least one short run a week with minimal walking - not at a massively fast pace but not slow either. 

swimathon tomorrow - 5k swim is going to be tough without having done a great deal of swimming lately, I think there will be some cramp! Oh well, it is supposed to be a challenge after all!

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Hope your run went well DB.  Good luck with the swimathon Maths!

I'm so excited!  Did parkrun last week and got a massive PB of 30:19.  Did it again today and official result is 29:09!  So happy! imageimageimage

• Options

Awesome result Mrs L, well under the 30 minutes, well done.

Well I did it, 17 miles done this morning. First 7 miles felt great (overall downhill), steady pace. Enjoyed the parkrun, nice course and took it easy. Did 1 mile sub-10 and realised I needed to slow down to stay on track for running back home. The run home was uphill overall but nothing too severe, but was noticeably harder work than the run down. Last couple of miles were tough but had some inspiring tunes on the go, I can particularly recommend Amen by Halestorm when if you like rock and need a tune to get your mojo back up and running. Moving time was 3 hours bang on, average pace of 10:35/mile, and I'm feeling like I'm ready for Manchester now. Maybe one more long run once we're in Spain, and plenty of shorter runs just to keep the legs ticking over.

Thinking I might give the tri club swim session a miss tonight, let my legs recover. Or I might man up. Undecided.

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Well done on the 17 miles DB - and with a parkrun in the middle, that's great!  You sound very ready for your race, is it soon?

You were right about the parkrun - I'm so excited to have finally got under the 30 minutes.... but now I'm wondering if I can just knock those 10 seconds off and get under 29!  This may become addictive!

• Options

wow, well done MrsL

• Options

Part of it with 5k is not just getting fitter, but learning how to suffer. You'll get used to how it feels to push hard, and previous experience will tell you that you can still cover the remaining distance. You then learn if you can push harder or not

• Options

And back to Manchester Marathon, for MrsDigger's benefit, it's 3 weeks tomorrow. Anyone seen the photos on FB of the medal? It's big enough to eat your dinner off! So need to make sure I finish!

• Options

oh, that is close DB - I am a bit jealous, I was going to do Manchester last year but had to cancel - I think I spent most of Feb ill if I remember. 

I might head over to parkrun next week - it isn't very close to me and not very convenient because it doesn't fit in well with my masters swimming session, but I do enjoy it when I go!

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Half marathon PB this morning at the north London half took 4 minutes off my PB and the last one was short so really happy with it. Really arsey stewards though the whole point of the race is that the finish is on the Wembley pitch and then they expect people to bot take photos on the pitch. I've stood in the stands I don't need selfies of me there.
  • Options

Well done on the PB!

50 mile sluggish bike ride on my hybrid to get fish and chips at the seaside today. Struggled after yesterday's run

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

good to hear that everyone is doing well, I have just got back from a week in the sunshine of Fuerteventura, did some walking and swimming each day in an indoor pool.

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Well done on the half marathon PB Simo!

DB, 50 miles is an awfully long way to go for fish and chips! image Hope they were worth it.

My long runs are building up slowly and it's nice to see that what used to be my fast pace is now my slow easy pace. Swim and bike planned for tomorrow, I can't believe I'm on week 4 of my training plan already!

Maths, how did the swimathon go?  Hope you enjoyed it.

• Options

Hey Mrs L...I'll let you in to something I've noticed...most cycling clubs aren't really cycling clubs....they are tea and cake clubs or fish and chip clubs...most clubs cycle for miles to find a nice tea shop somewhere out of the way and have cake, sorry I mean energy rich food groups...image

Steady, I'm confused walking and swimming in the pool?

Well done folks on all your exercise...I ran on Saturday and then took the brat out for a bike ride on sunday.  She complained the whole way out and back.  Like a good father, I ignored the whining.  Although I may have bothered other road users and anyone living on our route.  She can be shrill.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pete, I did some walking along the beaches but the swimming was in the hotel indoor pool, although I did go for a paddle in the sea but it was freezing cold (Atlantic) so that was the end of that.

I am looking forward to bike club at the weekend, we go out on a circular route and end up in one café at the end, so the faster ones do more miles than the slow group but still get to see everyone.