Options

Leicester City Marathon

Comments

• Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    I think we are being too subtle limper so I doubt PH will get it ;o)

And both! I have two birds (tiel and an african grey) - the parrot IS mad as well as me and Mr parrot :p

What parrot do you have?
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Limpette2 has an Amazon [blue fronted]. She's not hand tame and although she talks well she prefers to shriek loudly!!

<<bluntly then>>
    Hippo get yer purse out girl!!
  • Options
    Next week i will
  • Options
    ok. have spoken to my training partner who i was doing Abo with and he is up for Leicester,. so will get entry in over w/end
  • Options
    Think I'll enter this too!
  • Options
    Abingdon reject - lurker alert!
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    C'mon guys.

<<arty farty voice>>

Leicester IS the NEW Abingdon!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    So who's definitely doing this one?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I shall be there slo sho
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    great, Shades. I saw you at Abo (sniff) last year, but you had so many of your girls with you I didn't get a chance to talk to you!

Not that I've signed up for this one. I swore FLM would be my only mara, and I only did Abo because I was hacked off about not getting under 5 hours. As I did that at Abo, there's no need to do a third mara, as my husband keeps telling me. So that's decided.

But if I were to consider it, I'm still wondering about places to stay, as I'd be coming by train and I can't find an Travel Inn near that part of the city.
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Slo - I am not a list person and refuse to be part of one, but I can tell you that myself and Limpette [eldest daughter] will be there. So will Hippo in all probability, work permitting. Roz is signed up as well.
    If I were you I'd get it booked and worry about accomodation later. Where do you have to come from?
    Limps.
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Limper, I'm in Kent, so will have to come up the night before. Knowing how nervous marathons make me, I like to get as much as possible sorted out well in advance so I can concentrate on just worrying about the training!

It would be lovely to run with Roz again, I must admit. She was such good company at Abo last year.
  • Options
    Evening All, I was all set to do Coventry Half again this year cos I had a terrible race last year but cant turn down a race in the town near where I grew up! My parents live there and have a couple shops over that way and are busy drumming up local support for the course - will be awesome! Any one know where the course will run - are there any details yet?

Ill only be doing the half mind - with Abingdon gone bet this will be huge this year. I am excited already!!!!! If anyone wants help with local knowledge, accomodation and directions etc just let me know!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    slo sho - I'll be looking for somewhere to stay the night too as I'll be driving up the night before.
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Maybe Jelly Bebe can give us some advice on accommodation then? Near the Victoria Park start preferably?
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Roz is great company Slo!
    She dragged me round one of my Draycote Ultra laps in February. Given that her legs are twice the length of mine I think I did well to still be breathing when the lap was over!!

Where I drive up from will depend on which university Limpette starts at 2 weeks earlier!!
    I'll probably just come up on the day though.
    Probably.
    Oh, I HATE decisions!!
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean about Roz's legs, Limper - I felt like a kid trying to keep up with Mummy running with her! She didn't half make me laugh, though...

It's one of the things I love about running - you can start off running with a stranger, and an hour later you're bosom buddies!
  • Options
    Ill have a look for you guys - there wont be anywhere within walking distance of the start but will only be a ten minute drive or so I would say.

Ill have a look over the weekend and ill post you what I find. I have also spoken to a hotel at the end of the M69 where I used to work to ask if they wil have any good rates for runners (will be 20 minutes to the start from there and is one straight road pretty much). So Ill have a scoot and let you all know.
  • Options
    I'm going to sign up for this today whilst the OH is away - it took me a while to summon up the courage to enter Abingdon, so I'd better do it before I find an excuse not to ...
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Well done Schnecke :o)

There is NO excuse!!
  • Options
    Hi All

I Live in Leicestershire & would recommend this one as an abo substitute.
    I cant comment on the course as its new for 07' (it did used to be V V Hilly all rural!) The change will mean I shall be entering!

Anyway on the hotel front - there are quite a few in city center, Ramada, Days Inn & Campanile all central. At the Walkers stadium there is a new Express by Holiday Inn & just off M1 there is a Hilton (approx 10mins from city center)
    Hope this helps - see you all in October
  • Options
    going to enter this one i think.

will be my first marathin after doing a couple of halfs and already signed up for 2 more halfs before this marathon

if i get into the FLM 2008 then this would give me a good idea as to what sort of time i'll be aiming for
  • Options
    JennyB where do you live?
  • Options
    There are quite a number of large hotels in Leicester and a fair number of smaller ones which are quite close to Victoria Park. We will put a list of hotels on the web site when we publish the route but in the meanwhile the closest "chain" hotel to the start is probably the Ibis who are offering a double room for £51 on the Saturday and a special rate for runners of £40 on the Sunday if you want to stay and relax.
    People seem to have spotted that the runners world on line entry is available as we already have quite a few entries, and that's before we can even advertise the route!
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Is anyone local to this who may have an idea on some of the 'undulating' parts of the course?

After FLM 2005 I was motivated to carry on as I'd done what I considered a reasonable time. But I'm rather depressed after FLM07 & would like to do a slightly quicker marathon this year.

Sooooooooo mad at myself for never doing Abo :-(

• Options
    Hi Jelly
    I live just outside of Loughborough
    This will be my 1st attempt at the Leicester Marathon - the hills did not appeal before. Now I hear this course will be flat & fast, bring on London 2008 qualification! ;0)
  • Options
    still lurking

Do we have a route yet?
  • Options
    Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Ello all. Another Abingdon replacement hunter here. Its this or Loch Ness for me. I want a flat fast course to go for PB. Doing an ultra in July and want to use that as base training for a good time. Anyone got any experience of both and recommendations? Having said that had to pull out of Paris a few weeks back due to injury , so any time right now would be a bonus!
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Loch Ness is beautiful and well organised.
    Not flat though!!
  • Options
    Not flat though!!

understatement of the year that one Limper