Options

Dublin Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options

well my favourite bridesmaid dress story is that the dresses that we got for my sister's wedding.  I'd bought a brown evening dress in a Zara sale for a wedding, suggested my sister had a look at the dress, she fell in love with it and decided that she wanted it as her bridesmaid's dress.  We couldn't find them in brown so tracked the last two size small in black down to a shop in Dublin.  When we went to buy them they were €12.95 each!

For shoes, I'd been given a pair of fab gold sandals by my pal for christmas.  My sister rang her up for the name of the shop and got the last pair slashed to €25.  The most expensive bits were the chiffon wraps to cover our shoulders in church which were a staggering €25 each.  Thus each bridesmaid was suited and booted for less than €100(ok only €0.10 but still good!)  Dresses were gorgeous, empire style and full-length.

so keep an eye on Zara GFB, they've great post-christmas sales!  I like the idea of having one colour and a variety of different styles, especially with so many bridesmaids, stops it looking too crowded in the photoes.... would the bride go for that?

DTB, being a bridesmaid is a pain in the butt.  Be glad that you never were one.  I'd much rather rock up to the wedding having spent the morning getting my hair and nails done, go to the mass, drink gin and tonics or champagne while the bridal party are getting photographed from every angle and not have to endure rigour mortis of the face by about eight o'clock from smiling all day.  Mind you, my memories from this year are somewhat tainted by losing a job and a boyfriend in the impending days before the wedding! 

• Options

Amadeus, you wouldn't like being a bridesmaid either... 

and all this rubbish about bridesmaid's getting lucky is complete horse rot.  However as a friend of mine did point out to me, spending your entire time at the wedding whizzing around either dancing, smoking, or doing shots at the bar doesn't really leave the men folk much time to make your aquaintance! ...  Last wedding of the year on December 7th... then for the first time in about six years... no weddings!

• Options

LR - wots that pic u've got??? says PS hubby image

GFB - good call on black bridesmaid dresses - I had four bridesmaids, 2 big 'uns (as in 'older' - not size-wise) in black evening gowns and the two little 'uns (10 & 11 yrs) in ivory - whole wedding was black & ivory (including linen, guests etc....) - looked fab in the photos image

BK - lololl on the curse of the list!!!!!!  I've just had a quick analysis of my splits and realised that i ran the 2nd half faster than the first!! SHOCK!! But i did have young lady pushing me to mile 16

New dining table arrived today - canapes all round tomoz, watch you don't scratch the glass though - we'll have a little decorum if you please!

Hubby is getting stressed, he's just been receiving emails all day today about the races that "he's entered" - Stockport 10, Jane Tomlinson 10K - well, thought it would be nice to run togevva

Now about the White Peak - should i do the full or half mara? Votes pls

• Options

...Pink Shoes...I LOVE having food handed to me!!...<<snaps up a canape>>

I've catered this month...my mums birthday, my sons/dads birthday (same date) imageMY BIRTHDAY!!image...friends from England dinner party,  and this week my sisters birthday!  Please someone look AFTER ME!!!!!image

**calm blue ocean....calm blue ocean!!**

• Options

GFB.....GFB.... <grabs GFB gently by the hand> ... OK honey - sit here on one of PS's v.v.v.v.v.v.v nice new black leather chairs!!  At PS's v.v.v.v.v.v..v. posh new table!!  Hand's GFB a humongous plate full of all sorts of finger food (my fav!!!!) - sausage rolls - cheese n pineapple (yummy!) garlic bread... d'ya like olives?  Samosa's... onion bahjais (????) - i can buy em - can't spell em lol

• Options
    Sorry lads; only read the 1st 20 posts, but a potentially interesting thread has deteriorated into a 'soap' chit- chat. Nothing to add....image
  • Options

morning all

GFB is the wedding here (norn iron) or newcastle? the black dresses look fab tho

• Options

lol Treadmill, but you did add something very special - a nice little group insult to start our day! how lovely of you. image

Not sure how exciting you want the thread to be when the race is twelve months away!

In the meantime, if you've really nothing to add, why bother adding something pointlessly nasty? 

• Options

Morning everyone,

Cake anyone? Coffee or chocolate? image

This should help the 'chit-chat' along.

• Options

Morning folks.

A big(ish) warm(ish) welcome to Treadmill.

GOM - what sort of cake have you got? 

• Options

Barry,

It's listed in the post image

• Options
    Hello everyone!!

When can you enter this?
  • Options

Morning...you should have put that in the title DTB...only serious cake eaters allowed!! image...I ask you!!

(Thanks for all the yummy things PS!!)...and pass the buns!

• Options
    GOM - thought that was an offer of a drink image  I'll have some chocolate but I'll make sure I keep it for lunchtime.
  • Options

When can you enter this??  I always thought entries opened the next day for the next year...I haven't a clue!..../nohelp!

I'll have a slice of chocolate cake please GOM!!

• Options

Morning all -

HTA - probably best to check the website at www.dublincitymarathon.ie for info on the 2008 race. From memory, I think they normally open it about a month after the race each year.  

Aren't you a big pal of Mr H's? How is the old boy? Must drop him a line to catch up - last I heard he was injured and eating chocolate. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Right then - here's a little discussion point for anyone who would care to participate. Yesterday I had a heated exchange in a busy supermarket with a women who parked in the Parent & Child spaces without any kids in tow.

So, in the interests of some group therapy, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on "Things that really get up your nose*". 

<SJ scuttles off to compile his list>

SJ

* Excludes the obvious entries "nasal hair and "certain Class A drugs"

• Options
    Thanks Jim, I havent heard from Mr H for a while now - well most of the year come to think of it - Hope he's getting better. I think its been a year for injuries - everyone I know seems to have been out. Must be something in the water !
  • Options

<<Hands cake out>>

Just looked at the website, doesn't look like entries are open yet. Plus I also followed the link to register and it is still the page for 2007! I wouldn't worry at the moment, the race, I think has never sold yet as of yet. So you will have lots of time to enter when registion does open.

• Options
    *writing my list*
  • Options

Thanks for playing GFB!

Without prejudice, and in no particular order, here are my initial thoughts:

• Doctor's receptionists
    • Litter bugs
    • Dog owner's who don't clean up after them
    • Noisy eaters
    • Lily Allen
    • Queue Jumpers
    • Bad Manners (not the 80's ska group)
    • Perpetual Liars
    • Novelty Phone Rings
    • Cherished Number Plates (worse still, "nearly" Cherished Number Plates)
    • Posh Spice

I could definitely go on (and probably will) but I must admit I'm starting to feel better already just for sharing!

<contented sigh>

SJ

• Options

People who pack your bags in supermarkets and put one or two items in each bag...

People who smoke in doorways and make you smell bad

People who phone loads of times and don't leave messages on the answering machine

(people!!)

(There's more...I'll let someone else vent!!)

• Options

OOOOhhhh there's more!!

• Definitely noisy eaters...makes me want to kill!
    • Kids who say "I fink" and "fanks"...
    • Kids who don't say "Fanks"
    • Soaps (and apparently we're in one too!!)
    • Guaranteed 24 hour delivery which comes in 48 hours image
    • Big Brother

I'll be back with more.....

• Options

SJ my head's gone into meltdown trying to think of all the thinks that get up my nose!!!

i need some chocolate cake to assist me & keep me calm!image

• bad drivers
    • smug shop assistants
    • call centres & trying to speak to a human being (even though i used to work in one years ago!)
    • slow walkers (i tend to walk pretty fast no matter what!! even when shopping!)
    • rude teenagers or rude people in general
    • people who 'walk' their dogs driving their car behind the dog (i kid you not!!)
    • litter bugs & fly tippers
    • the fat guy in the car who shouted abuse at me last week when i was out jogging

<<<deep breaths deep breaths>>> that'll do for now

• Options

Bit of a "people" theme emerging here!

Try some of these for size...

• Competitive Parents
    • Unreasonable Clients
    • Ten Bob Snobs
    • Talentless "Celebrities"
    • Egocentrics
    • Teachers who can't stop being teachers after school's out (controversial!)
    • Harbingers of Doom
    • Energy-Sapping Pessimists
    • Jobsworths
    • People who use Text Speak in eMails

Oh yes, get 'em lined up and pass me that AK47!

SJ image 

• Options

Morning all,

someone should tell Treadmill that he's left his "controversial" lock on (it's the one just beside the caps lock).  Is that a troll I smell?  <<sniff, sniff>>

Too early for cake me thinks, however what about crumpets or toast?  Or toast with bacon? 

PS sorry which photo did you want to see?  Bridesmaids dresses was it?(not being smart I swear, just couldn't following conversation).

Things that drive me bonkers are

• Bad grammar, "I seen" instead of "I have seen" in particular is the grammatical equivalent of nails down a blackboard.
    • Bad drivers, especially people that tootle along in the fast line at 42 miles/hour.
    • Raw stupidity
    • People with no respect for your personal space, who stand too close
    • Bad manners, in particular, men who don't hold the door for you and people who use their knife as a fork and lick food off it(stomach churning).
    • People who pack their mouth with food and then take a drink to wash the whole thing down (feel sick at the thought of it).
    • People who force their way up to the start of a race that shouldn't be at the top
    • Gangs of people who link arms and walk seven across in a race leaving you to scrabble up and down pavements or have to yell "EXCUSE ME" 16,738 times in the first mile of the race.
    • OH AND THEN, you get the cat's bum mouth and the silent but deadly tutting.  GGRRRR....
    • People who lie about their times, was chatting to someone a few days ago who said "yes, I did the marathon in 4:40, 15 minutes slower than last year".  Now it was only their 3rd marathon so it's not like they got mixed up and FFS, I know that he didn't do it in 4:25 because we ran it together (well meeting at start and finish) last year and I came in 30 seconds after him, that was the whole problem (in his eyes!).
    • Speaking of which, people who constantly try to outdo others "I've broken my two legs", "Oh yes, well I've broken three of mine".
    • People that smell bad (it takes two to three days of not washing not achieve, not talking the post-race "fresh" sweat).
    • Bad breath
    • People that wear clothes that are too small for them, in particular, overweight people in cropped tops, I don't know why but for some reason the flesh is always fish belly white and mottled.  The rule is "if it wobbles, put it away".  I REALLY don't want to see it.
    • Politcal correctness gone mad.
    • Perverted snobbery and begrudgery.
  • Options

SJ - LOL! this is def brightening up my morning!!!

ALSO: i dont appreciate people who talk down to me as if i'm thick

AND i dont particularly appreciate folk who judge by appearance (these in most cases are the same as the people mentioned above!)

SJ hand me that AK47!!image

• Options

Mainly for the benefit of temporarily easing Treadmill's frustration, here's a few running-related entries from my personal Room 101 to restore the balance:

• Horizontal rain
    • Fell or Mountain running 
    • Runners Nipple
    • The "Cheese Wire" Effect (Men Only)
    • Black Toe Nails
    • Hypoglycemia
    • Hecklers
    • Wet iPods
    • Other runners who don't acknowledge you
    • Winter Marathon Training

SJ

• Options
    ...do you think we need to put some prozac in our cake!!
  • Options

Afraid to ask but whats the "cheese wire" effect SJ?

I'm only guessing that it's a bit like a running induced wedgie?