Options

Vitruvian 2008

Comments

• Options

Just want to say, well done to all you pirates who raced today.

I was there cheering on a couple of friends from my club.  I  must say i noticed the support and encouragement pirates give each other, there seemed to be plenty of you out racing. x

• Options

We know anything more about the coach driver yet, or is this lynch mob I'm raising going to have to go after every bus driver in the East Midlands?  Grrrrrr.....image

As for Squish - Hope you get better quickly, but cracking work pushing the envelope of the 'Hurtbox'!! (I've ventured onto Tritalk - I'm down with my homie's lingo!).

Was it just done to outline to Crashie what she believes to be an acceptable injury for pulling out of a race?  (sorry, mate image ) I mean..... she pulled out after that, right?  Knowing that family, she'd blag herself a bike and finish it off....

• Options

she is probably on her way back to the course now

• Options
    Always room for another, siber!! 
  • Options
    (((Squishy))) hope it doesn't hurt too much and heals quickly.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Photos Taken Today

Welldone everybody.

Lovely to meet you! 

• Options

Hello Mrs K! Long time no see!

Thanks for the pics! 

• Options

Squish get Crashie to take good care off you

xx

• Options

Good pics, thanks!

• Options

I'm not a Pirate, or even a triathlete, but I was a spectator on the course today.  Big respect to all of you who did this event.   

I hope your friend mends quickly and also that the people in trouble after the finish were ok too.

I thought that the course was somewhat dangerous considering that fairly busy A-Roads are used.   I suppose having the race on a Saturday morning did not help with the traffic situation.  I witnessed a few stupid overtaking and cutting in moves, but I also witnessed some careless swinging out and overtaking by competitors, as they were being overtaken by vehicles.

I was a spectator at Cowman recently too and the course appeared to be somewhat safer from my point of view.

I had to help one guy back to the race HQ.  He was kicked in the head during the swim leg but started out on his bike.  I was in the lay by before Ketton (with my wife and kids).  When he stopped by our car he asked for help as he felt he couldn't continue.  He didn't look in good shape and I thought he was possibly suffering from concussion, so wife, kids, baggage and kids car seats were left by the side of the road as I got him and his bike back to Whitwell.  Hope he is ok too.

• Options

Well done all!!

Love to Squishy image 

• Options

Well done all who raced today if the conditions were anything like as bad as here it will have been a tough day out.

Squish get well and see you on the start line soon hun (()) x

Go pirates  

• Options
    lovely photos.............the weather seemed to be a lot better than I thought it would be.................
  • Options

Well  done to all who raced today.

The female pirates had the worst of the conditions - most weed on the swim and the worst rain of the day came when there were just women and the odd slow man left out  on the course - including some of our very own pirates.

I had a great time marshalling - I thoroughly recommend it as a way to pass a day. The woman I worked with on the finish commented that it was a very friendly race - much more so than others she has marshalled at. Everyone was unfailingly polite - no one lost their cool or was rude when we asked for their chips - many were apologetic that they couldn't bend down to undo the chip.

And now as I got up at 3.15 to be there .... and was too tired to stay to party - I shall say goodnight.

Thank you pirates for letting me share your day.

• Options

phew, glad that squishy's injuries aren't life threatening/ending at least.  hope that collar heals quickly and all other injuries fade away swiftly.  there's probably  some playful joke about the psedonyms crashie and squishy but it's beyond me at the moment.

anyway, any sign of the remergency of the teenage stripper?  she's probably dead by now.

• Options
    wassa remergency ?
  • Options

well done mr bump!!

i think a few good turns were done for and by people today from what i have heard

• Options
    Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    wassa remergency ?
    ah, in my defence the oven's given up resulting in too many bottles of wine waiting for the food to finally cock.
  • Options

Waiting for what JD???? The mind boggles

Well yesterdays race quote of the day, mellifera on seeing me out on the run shouted "Pebble 1st time I've ever seen you run" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheeky buggerimage. Twas a tough day what with the wind and cold, anyone else cold on the run.

• Options
    A quick hello from the TriTalk side of the internet.

First a Heal Strong to Squishy.

Second it sounds like it might have been a TTer "Ash" who collapsed at the finish.
    He did the race in 4h 39m odd and then threw up a lot at the end.
    Spent a long time with the medics, but recovered enough to see his mum finish the race.

Thanks for all the support on the run from Pirate racers, supporters & race crew.
    I did suffer a bit on the run and the banter was a great help.
    Still it was better than being forced to DNS last year with a bulging disc.
    ( I was supporting on the Ripple & the park bench last year)

Without wishing to argue who is the best. image
    If is safe to say RW & TT were the two best represented/supported clubs there.

Take care, Paul. image

PS
    Hi to D74 if he is reading.
  • Options
    Cheers Paul, tried to give a big up to any TT'r spotted, and the Marquis's bunch on the ripple were a big help
  • Options

well done paul and pebble.

pebble - how did the pacing go with the powertap?

any news on squishy this morning?  

• Options

I'm not a pirate but I did the race yesterday and was amazed at the sea of yellow - definitely going to look into it!

Was following squishy by a few mins so unfortuantely didn't see the incident happen to help identify the bus.

However, I feel kind of good that I was raising money for the Rutland Air Ambulance (did it instead of wedding presents from getting married a couple of weeks ago) so at least it was put to good purpose to get her to hospital quickly. Here's to speedy recovery!

• Options

As its was pis*ing down in Wales, I put a normal wheel on this time JD, but I wish I'd used it now. It was a tough day on the bike with that wind, it was never seemed to be at you back always in front or to the side, was aiming for just under 5hrs, came in in 5:07, was on track until I had a dodgey 5k between 11 - 16,  took on some jaffa cakes and high 5 at the far turnaround  then ran back to the finish ok, and felt strong at the end, so taking some positives from it.

Nice to meet some new pirates and some not so new ones, any news on Squishy??

• Options

Morning gentlefolk!

Thanks for the good wishes for Squish...she is awake and propped up on pillows, reading as I type.

The definitive story is as follows:

She was riding through (one of the villages) when she was overtaken by a bus, which then cut in on her as there was a central pedestrian refuge in its way. You've probably had a similar thing happen, it's a common cycling 'near miss'...except that it wasn't a near miss...

the bastard hit her and then kept driving.

No excuses for him, he would have known that he'd hit her, and coaches are equipped with n/s mirrors. He would have heard the bang; he could have looked. I have nothing but contempt for him, as a driver and a human being.

Fortunately, one of the following competitors happened to be a trauma doctor (huge thanks to him...we only know that his name was Tim) who looked after Squish until she was airlifted to Leicester Royal Infirmary.

She had a full series of scans and x-rays to ascertain whether there was any spinal injury, but fortunately it only turned up a fractured right collarbone (right being the side that the bus hit; draw you own opinions as to how hard the impact was...) and some surprisingly trivial cuts and scrapes.

I suspect that in a few days, she'll be balck and blue, bless her.

The collarbone is giving her a lot of pain at the moment and obviously she'll be incpacitated for 6 weeks or so. She retains a sense of humour and is already getting the hang of having a manservant, though my name isn't Bob...

The police officer investigating the incident is a road cyclist; we suspect that they are taking this hit and run very seriously...

The bike frame is a write-off, the top tube has been cracked where the handlebars were swung round into it during the accident. Squish says that Symes is in big trouble for telling her it was fine image

Huge thanks to Flying Ant for the chauffeur duties...bot bad for a yam yam image...to Holly for the support when I was losing it...to GOM and Mrs GOM for the speedy catering...to Melli for the hug, even if it did nearly cause me to fall to bits image and to all the as-ever wonderful Pirates for the help and support.

Squish would particularly like to thank Symes for staying with her, suggesting that she was 35 and for trying to cadge a lift in the air ambulance image She's grateful to all the Pirates who stopped

• Options

Healing thoughts out to Squishy and I hope all other competitors have no aches and pains this morning.

Hopefully we'll get some more news at some point.

• Options
    Crashie, thanks for update, sppedy recovery wishes for Squishy.
  • Options

Thanks for the update.

I take it someone got the bus company - I'm sure they will be able to track the driver in question from his route/time he was there etc.

((())) to both.