Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options
    never surrender!!!!!
  • Options

As long as you vote BtS - you can vote as many times as you want!

Vote BtS

• Options
    I vote BtS, cos if he is training properly he wont feel the need to keep nicking my smokes

Go BtS
  • Options
    another vote for BTS
  • Options

Oh go on then - give the fat slow bloke a chance.......image

BtS....!

(At least then there's no chance of me being last in this race) image

• Options
    Bts as he leant me his washing up liquid at Bala
  • Options
    one more for BtS go Brian !!!
  • Options
    I vote for Torque Steer he will stick at the training and come up with the goods at the end.
  • Options
    Please vote for me.  I want it so much.  I've worked all my life for this.  I'm doing it for my family.  I want it so much.
  • Options
    BtS to divert some unwelcome votes for me...
  • Options

That's at least 18 votes (from 18 separate people) for BtS

We need more !

Vote BtS

• Options

Hi, my name is Jonathan. I am 36 and from Ellon in the North East of Scotland.

I led a largely sedentary life until a few years ago when I gave up smoking and started going to the gym. Initially, the running machine was my nemesis but I soon started to run & even enjoy 10ks. Last year I ran my 1st half marathon, the Great North Run, which I completed in 1:59:27. The following day I moved into a new house and 3 months of domestic bliss started to take its toll on my waistline! That Christmas, I had a chest infection and this stopped me from running for the best part of 5 weeks. These combined factors saw my weight soar to 15 stone 12 and running became painful.

Dieting has now taken my weight back down to 14 stone 5 and I aim to reach a target weight of 12.5 to 13 stone. As my weight reduces, I am seeing a definite improvement in my running and I have just completed 3 weekends of 10k runs.

The trusty Garmin Forerunner 305 that I recently purchased has proved to be worth its weight in gold and has really helped in my quest to improve my times (currently in the late 40s for a 10k). However, I believe that I would benefit tremendously from a tailored schedule and the support that this prize offers. I would love to return once again to Newcastle for what must surely be the best half marathon anywhere and would love the opportunity to considerably improve upon my past time.

• Options

Hello

I'm Tony McGowan and I'm 58 years old. and wish to nominate myself

I used to run a lot in the early 80's with a half marathon pb of under 1hr27. Since then i have ballooned in weight and then shrunk down again after starting running again in 2002.

Having followed Granny Denny's training schedule and being inspired by her dedication I knocked 25 mins off my marathon pb in April to finish in 5.55on a very hilly course.

I have no great stories of medical or other problems overcome but having seen how well us ordinary runners do when they receive personal attention and have the discipline of confessing thier failures or celebrating their successes with the on-line community  of runners I would love to be selected.

My  goal for the GNR is to be in the best possible shape so that I can finish in under 2hrs15 feeling that I couldn't have done any more  and to enjoy the whole experience.

Thank you 

• Options
    I'd vote for BtS - great fella.

Er is this a proper vote, or more like Ant and Dec where we all vote and they just choose someone they like anyway ? And pocket the cash.
  • Options
    PirateATOMPirateATOM ✭✭✭
    I vote for BtS too.
  • Options

I hope its a proper vote, as over the last 3 pages we've got 21 unique votes for BtS

Vote BtS

plus it'll be interesting, especially if they pick Debbo too for the Krankie showdown.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

VOTE FOR TORQUE STEER

He is a very hard working and dedicated runner and will give this he all.

• Options
    My running history should best be described as chequered over the last 15 years. I ran quite a bit in my early twenties. Did a number of cross country events, but finally forced to give up due to injuries (which is where the root of my problems lie). Since then I’ve tried on a number of occasions to rejuvenate my running but periodically forced to lay up through injury. Have now managed a good spell of 10months but aided by Physio & Podiatrist, where I completed my first half marathon in 2.03 last month.

Currently I feel like I’ve reached a cross roads. I’m pessimistic about how long I will remain injury free, and while I get professional help, it’s only repairing the symptoms and not solving the causes. I don’t believe I’m alone as an ardent runner, bedevilled by injury, who just wants to get out and run. I have no doubt I would personally benefit hugely through the training package to not only improve my own performance and longevity, but hopefully provide useful Insights to other battling runners.
    I would want to set a Half-marathon goal: 1.45
  • Options
    Another vote for Torque Steer. He is generous with his support and advice on the forum, so let him be on the receiving end this time!
  • Options

Torque Steer for my vote. He knows what he's doing and knows how to share to the best effect.

Oh yes, and he can run.

• Options
    Another vote for BtS ..................... he deserves the chance to be able to run away from Widow Krankie
  • Options

Running History: Have been running for just over a year and have completed a 5K, 2x10K a half marathon and to mark my 40th year I completed the Edinburgh Marathon in May this year.

Why you should train me: I have done all my training on my own, I run on my own & take part in races on my own. My running is regarded by many friends and family members as something that "I will grow out of" and it has also been refered to as "my mid life crisis"! Despite this negativeness I am out running through all weathers and nothing will curb my enthusiasm. I used Runners World magazine and your web site as my training bible while marathon training but it would be fantastic to have a coach to offer support and advice through the Great Run and to be able to receive and share advice with other runners. 

Half marathon goal: Did one in March 2008 in 2hrs 7mins - I KNOW I can do better( sub 2hrs could be achievable).Please show me the way.

• Options
    VOTE BtS - he deserves it!!!!!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Vote for TORQUE STEER
    Vote for TORQUE STEER
    Vote for TORQUE STEER

A great forumite and senior runner

• Options

I'd like to supplement my vote for BtS with some reasoning!

Giving BtS this opportunity will help him overcome his training demons, which are compounded by his bad back, fag smoking, whisky drinking, doughnut eating and general CBA'ness.  He needs a firm goal and support to make it there.  He will learn to train seriously and realise his potential, and he can hopefully put it to good use for future races too and will then be able to teach all the pirates a thing or two.

And because he'll be out training, he'll have less time to eat doughnuts, and he'll have more reason to get Wee Jimmy Crankie to do some housework and cooking for him.

Plus he's been around for years (read old) and is a fantastic pirate supporter and photographer. 

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

oy!  steady on about the housework and cooking Holly!

I'll be training hard too you know - can't have that snail beating me ; - )