Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

I've never tried Pilates, but I'd really like to. I did take up yoga and I've found it brilliant for stretching and strength training. I'd be very upset if I had to give it up!

Sounds like you never really get a rest at all! image Should read "running round rather than running" really then, on the rest days, shouldn't it?image

• Options
    Spot on.  Mind, I think that is probably true of most women with small children.  They're like a mess creation machine!
  • Options

I've had my nutritional assessment through.  I am the Mary Poppins of the nutritional world - my report basically says 'Practically perfect in every way'.  Ish.  I may have extrapolated that.

Basically, having altered my diet since winning the comp, I'm now doing the right things.  I've got a few recommendations for making sure I'm eating enough additional calories on a training day and adding in some more nuts and more sources of iron. 

She recommended making smoothies for post-run, which I've been intending to do and not getting around to for ages.  Best add some more fruit to the Ocado order.  Healthy eating is expensive!

My example diet should be:

Breakfast - Porridge made with oats with added seeds, nuts (including 2-3 brazil nuts) and dried fruit or muesli or other wholegrain cereal plus semi skimmed and fresh fruit
    Glass fruit juice  

Run – with sports drink if over 60 minutes
    Post runHomemade smoothie with milk, yoghurt, banana, mango, strawberries and honey 

Lunch - Multi grain bread sandwich with chicken, tuna, ham, egg plus salad with homemade soup or pasta/rice salad with salad and cold meat/chicken
    Yoghurt with fresh fruit 

Mid afternoon - Fruit/yoghurt /cereal bar/rice cakes if hungry 

Evening - Fish or lean red meat or chicken plus pasta or noodles or sweet potato or basmati rice
    Or risotto, lasagne, fish pie etcVegetables or salad
    Low fat custard or rice pudding with stewed fruit or fresh fruit and yoghurt 
    Water/low sugar squash during the day

• Options
    I sooooo wish I could stick to that.... image
  • Options

Hey Liverbird. I can recommend a Pilate teacher in your area if you are interested.

Wotsit - my analysis said I was undereating by around 800 calories a day!!!!! Now that's a lot of cake.

• Options

FatFace - Actually, when averaged out over the week my calorie intake per day should be 2600 and I'm currently eating 1800, so I'm much the same.  Unlike you I'm trying to lose weight, so as long as I add in extra calories on a training day I'm doing OK.

Hairy Thistle - my diet is really close to that at the moment, with the just small extra addition of chocolate.  I'm trying to stick to 2-3 squares maximum.  Funny how motivating it is having lots of people watching you run!

• Options

Must be a bit weird having us all watching you all the time - but I guess it helps to keep you on track!!!  Quite glad I didn't enter the comp now!! 

Well done on the healthy diet, my diets not too bad, but I tend to miss meals, especially on the days I'm at home on my own.  I keep thinking "oh I'll just do that before lunch" and before I know it its 3pm and I have to pick the children up!!  

Pilates sounds great, but I really struggle keeping regular classes up (if only the children's regular stuff stayed regular!!).  

Did 7 miles tonight on a treadmill (good job there was a good programme about elephants on!) and in a not completely unreasonable time, so ready to start my half training next week.  I'm following a full marathon schedule, but only going up to the 16 mile long runs.  I'll see how you get on to see if I can be convinced to complete the schedule and get to full marathon distance!!

• Options
    Wotsit wrote (see)
    Lunch - Multi grain bread sandwich with chicken, tuna, ham, egg plus salad with homemade soup or pasta/rice salad with salad and cold meat/chicken

That is some sandwich!   How do you get it all to stay between the bread ? image
  • Options

Nice work on Saturday Wotsit, particularly as you were feeling under par.

Reading your nutritional advice has set my tummy rumbling.

I eat smoothies as well.  However, when I've done Slimming World in the past, they've said not to do this because of the way the smoothie breaks down the fruit.  What do you think of that?  Should we just forget that piece of advice?

• Options

thanks for posting the nutritional advice wotsit.  i was quite pleased reading it that i seemed to be pretty close to it all the way through......... until it got to the evening meal.  image   i was going to get a juicer, but i may just dust off the ancient liquidiser that has been in the back of various cupboards for ages, and do some smoothies instead.

mouse - i seem to remember that fruit was free at SW but pure fruit juice wasn't .  could never understand why. 

good luck with training for this week.  i did my 12 mile long run on saturday in rain and wind.  sploshing in the puddles at the end of the run cheered me up no end image

have fun xx

• Options

With my science hat on....

When you create a smoothie, you are breaking down all the fibrous strands within the fruit, so though you get all the vitamins, nutrients etc, you don't get the fibre to either bulk out the food or help speed food waste through your digestive system.  It doesn't fill you up in the same way or keep you as full for as long as the whole fruit.

*However*, for the purposes of my food intake, smoothies are a good idea because I'm not concerned with fibre (of which I eat lots) or the fact that they're high in sugar.  I want a nutrient rich post run snack with protein (milk) and natural sugars (from fruit) to replace the carbs I've used up and to give protein for muscle recovery.

Slimming World are right, its a bad choice for slimmers but its a good choice for a post run recovery.

Pig - Cocktail sticks.  Like with a club sandwich.  Oh and a dislocatable jaw helps.  Think 'snake swallowing a turkey'.

DG - I'd never have been sticking to my weight loss goals without you all watching.  It gives me enough of a feeling of panic to act like a great boot up the rear!

• Options
    Pud - stick with the liquidiser.  Juicers really take out all of the fibre, liquidisers just chop it finely, so the juice that comes out of a juicer is higher in sugars & therefore calories than the stuff that gets liquidised.  Plus a juicer wouldn't let you do smoothies with milk/yoghurt - thats the vital ingredient of Wendy's post run smoothie.
  • Options
    Oh and if anyone else is thinking about compression tights, may I thoroughly recommend these people: www.sigmasport.co.uk  I've been wearing Wickett's boy fit ones, but I've just bought my own, hopefully to be returned in a size that fits, after my misjudging my size.  Tip top service, fast delivery and they're in the sale!
  • Options

Hello interloper.  Should I don my flack jacket, now I've caught your attention? image

How on earth did you manage to run so fast yesterday, given your blood alcohol level the previous night?  Is this some kind of odd carb loading strategy I don't know about?

• Options

the recommended food thing looks quite generous? but i see that it makes no allowance for eating random children's meals/sweets that happen to be lying around......

the running all sounds great wotsit? i ended up running my 10k in the same way as your suggested 40 min run (slow then fast) as ran the first half with my sis (35 mins..... image) and then by myself (28 mins) - the second half felt GREAT but did feel guilty about leaving her behind...... hmmm....

compression tights - consensus is that these are the way to go then? have tried the socks ( a la Paula - v sexy...) but not the tights - will investigate...

• Options

wotsit can i be rude and ask what size tights you needed in the end? i'd have gone for a medium but it says UK dress size 10-12 which - erm - is sounding rather snug?!

• Options

Thanks for the science bit Wotsit.  I'm going to keep eating them, cos I likes em.

Gladrags - I've got Skins and I am a very ample woman (size 14-16.) My Skins are actually a size small.  I only know that brand but I'd say a medium is too big. You wants em toit.

• Options

Hello everyone *waves*

Compression kit is definitely the way to go - I have 2XU tights and top, and Linebreaker tights. As to who suits what, my personal thing is to go for those with the highest denier as they "hold" more - 2XU have some fab winter ones. AS far as the the sizing is concerned, go for as small as you dare - they should be hard to put on and hard to take off in order that they are doing their job properly. I'm a size 8 - 10 and so I buy the extra small - small, which would be the "right" size, work well as work out tights, but don't offer the same compression benefits as the tighter ones do.

p.s. Wotsit - you have to remember that KK is actually a proper cat when it comes to running!!! image

• Options

The linebreak compression tights I've just sent back were a L - I'm a dwindling 14.  They were pretty loose.  Wickett's are a medium and they're nice and tighty (though they accidentally went into the tumble drier yesterday, so lets hope they still are!) I'm hoping the womens are the same size, just a different fit.

When I bought his, as a present last Christmas, I did buckets of research into which brand and Linebreak got excellent reviews.  They're by no means the most expensive, so seemed by far the best value for money.

• Options
    Tbh Wotsit, I prefer my Linebreakers too, but we sell 2XU so I'm not supposed to say that!! image
  • Options
    <taps nose>  We aint seen you, right? image
  • Options
    wotsit - did the nutritionist give you an indication of how much you should be drinking through the day?
  • Options

I do hope Pud means water.......image

Your nutritionist sounds like they've been in my cupboards. That's basically what I do eat all the time!

So why am I not a supermodel?imageimage

• Options

Portion size, LB.  Thats always been my downfall.  Now, I use www.foodfocus.co.uk because it lets me count calories using my own portion sizes (so I have 60g of cereal, rather than the 40g on the box).  I thought I was doing brilliantly with what I was eating, until I had to weigh things for the nutritionist and realised that my portion sizes meant that I was actually eating 50% more calories than I thought I was image  Its actually really interesting being utterly anal about what you eat and recording every mouthful, once you've weighed it.  makes you think about food in an entirely different way.

Pud, Wendy says 35ml/kg/day for fluid intake - that works out to 2450ml per day for me.

As for the example food day, the idea is that I should eat all that in the midst of full on training, when I need the extra calories.  At the moment, if I ate that much I'd put on weight and I still want it to fall.  Wendy estimates my calorie requirement to be 2200 calories per day, plus whatever I'm burning off when running, so 500 ish on Mon and Thurs and 1200ish on Saturday.  Which is actually quite a lot to add in to a single day, so I've got to be creative about it!

• Options

Evening all.

I've just discovered that you can search at MotionBased for me (wotsit, obviously image) and get a breakdown of all my recent runs.  Which is exciting.  Ish.

It was more intervals tonight - 40 mins with 3 x 8 min intervals at threshold pace.  How is it that, regardless of the route, I'm always doing an interval going up a hideous steep hill? image  Anyway, it worked quite well - I ran with the joggers and played hare and tortoise, where Ali & I and a couple of others raced on, then slowed in between intervals and the others, running at a more constant pace, caught us up.  Must find out if there is a way of marking my own 'laps' on the garmin so that it chops my run up into the individual intervals.  Anyone know?

Having done so well with my diet, I'm on my own tonight and can't be bothered to cook, so I'm eating leftovers in a sporadic way.  Normal service will resume tomorrow.

• Options
    Wotsit you should be able to transfer a workout to your Garmin.  I've done this from Garmin Training Centre to my 405.
  • Options

I think you've hit the nail on the head Wotsit, with the portion sizes!

That fluid equation is really useful too! I've never heard that before. I'm afraid I measure my hydration levels according to the colour of my wee! image (Sorry to be graphic but it's true and we're all grown ups on Wotsit's page)

Having been so severely dehydrated last year I was hospitalised and drip fed because I was unable to take fluids orally, I now have a new found respect for water and am especially careful about how much I drink. I always have to learn the hard way, but at least I DO learn....

I guess it depends what the leftovers ARE really, Wotsit! I know what you mean when you say you can't be bothered cooking for one. Mr LB doesn't eat in the evenings and it can be a real pain cooking for the minis at teatime and then starting again hours later for just me. I had pasta tonight, but I'm ashamed to say sometimes the most I can be bothered with is cereal.....image

Sounds like the run went well!

• Options

I rate Food Focus. I lost quite a bit of weight with it last year. Christmas successfully reversed the trend.

I like the way you can offset exercise and think it encourages healthy eating rather than starving