Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Kelly W - thank you!  I've just had a play and set myself up a workout thingy for my next interval session image

LB - yikes!  What on earth did you do to yourself?  Hope it was a bug, rather than running related.

Pig - I agree, I found it on your advice, so you should take all the credit.

Dinner ended up being 3 crumpets, hummus & cucumber sticks, ovaltine & museli.  I'm going to be ravenous tomorrow but I just CBA today.  Must go to bed.

• Options

thanks for the info wotsit - i know i'm not drinking enough (water, that is LB image ) so i know now what i should be aiming for. 

well done for the intervals session last night - sounds tough with where the intervals fell !

• Options
    Wotsit wrote (see)

LB - yikes!  What on earth did you do to yourself?  Hope it was a bug, rather than running related.

It was both actually, Wotsit. image I had been suffering from pulsatile tinnitus for a few weeks, but I'd had it before when my mileage had been high and I knew it was related to strenuous exercise, so I lived with it. On 20th Sept last year I plodded out early on a hot sunny day for a 19 mile run and to cut a long story short, I had insufficient water with me and at 5 miles I began to feel so dizzy i felt I might fall into the road. At 9 miles I stopped at my parent's house for a wee and felt so unstable I called Mr LB to ask him if I should abandon. He didn't answer so I ran another 10 miles and collapsed in the gym. I was suffering from a condition called vestibular neuritis and unfortunately some of the symptoms are IDENTICAL to those of dehydration. I was going into kidney failure and I was very very ill. The rest of the year was a complete washout for me and I had to DNS everything I'd worked for (including the marathon I had set my heart on) I ended up going anyway, to support other forumites but I cried like a loony at the expo because it was MY race. One of my kids wrote on the Adidas wall "I'm sorry you have to suffer mummy" image

So now I've learnt my lesson. I am NOT indestructible and I need to pay far more attention to my water intake and my nutrition, which is why I'm so interested in what you're doing! I'm hoping I can pick up some tips from your journey through the Super Six! Your blog is making great reading!image

Today is the day that hopefully I will be officially signed off from the hospital. I have an appointment to see the consultant this afternoon and I expect him to say I'm better. He better had or he'll have one irritated Liverbird to deal with! image

• Options
    fingers crossed for you xx
  • Options

Blimey LB - I can't believe you kept running, feeling that bad.  I'd have been straight back home the minute I started feeling unwell.  Especially if it had a name!  Named illnesses are proper serious.  Hope your appt goes well this afternoon.

Pud - glad to be of assistance!

• Options
    Wotsit - well done on the intervals last night - was wondering how you made them "work" in a group run so interesting to hear your tactics.

Liverbird - crikey. Glad you have made a good recovery. Hope your appointment went well today.
  • Options

HL - last night was the first time it really had worked in a group tbh.  When we'd tried it previously the group overall pace had been too quick and we'd not managed proper recoveries, which made it all too hard.  This new group springing up is brilliant for me - not least because a couple of them are training to my 4:30 schedule image

I've perked up a bit since Wickett arrived home.  Perhaps I was just pining for him? image

Rest day today.  legs are feeling good - normal, which is pretty much a new sensation for the day after a run since starting this programme.  Hooray!

• Options

Wotsit - i did my first interval session today using the Garmin set properly - was brilliant. Told me when to speed up and slow down during the intervals which really helped. Not sure if anyone finds this but sometimes the pace can be a bit sporadic when viewing in actual mode. I think the intervals must work on an average pace because my garmin said slow down but the actual pace was within limits. This worked great for me cos i usually find i am speeding up slowing down constantly so when i view the run in training centre it looks like a red arrows display. My intervals were all within the limit and came in at about 8.45min/mile - was well chuffed.

so what i was trying to say was yes the set programme works well - it is rude not to waffle though

• Options
    Abs11 - did you use one of the already designed workouts or did you do your own?
  • Options
    It was the RW one downloaded via training centre. i am using the sub 4.30 plan, with the paces updated for approx 4.15 (ha ha - i am hoping) I tried designing my own workouts before and that meant one pace 4 timesa week so missed the point somewhere, but that is what being a beginner is about.
  • Options

Doh!  You'd have thought I would have considered the RW one.... imageimage

Thanks Abs - will have a play with that next week.

• Options
    Wotsit - glad that persevering has paid off and hope that you can carry on with those group runs.

Glad the legs aren't complaining!
  • Options
    You're doing great Wotsit!! Pining for Wickett indeed!! image
  • Options

Thanks girls image

I had to wear socks in bed when he wasn't home!  Its not right.

• Options

I think you're doing great too Wotsit! Especially keeping the intervals going up the bloody hills! image

Thank you all for your kind words! I did go to see the doc today and he DID sign me off, although I failed the hearing test. image It would appear that the damage caused to the vestibular nerve was quite severe and it may be sometime before I get back full hearing. Still - useful for ignoring Mr LB legitimately! image

I had a good tempo run tonight. I've upped the pace and am now coming in at under 9mm for short runs, which is fast for me. Wish I had a group to run with sometimes.....image

• Options

Hooray!  Great news at being signed off LB - were you expecting the hearing test results? 

Am dead jealous of your 9mi short run pace.  I *will* get there!

• Options

I was expecting to pass Wotsit! image

Hate the word "fail".....image I think I can hear OK!

I would be delighted with anything under 5 hours for my marathon! Shades has fiddled with my training paces and I feel much happier with them now. My LSR at the weekend felt very comfortable indeed. Most of the Shadies are miles faster than me but I don't care anymore. I've already learnt that you run your OWN race and we're all different.

Only half the world is watching you matey! No pressure then! image

• Options

Oh no!  I'd presumed you'd expected to fail it.  Bummer.  On the other hand, if you think you can hear OK and you've still got some recovery to do you'll have bat like hearing once you're all better!

I'm at work and still feeling nauseous.  The two may be related.

• Options
    Or PREGNANT!!!!!!!! imageimageimage
  • Options

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.  NOT!

Anyway, not that I'm paranoid at all, but in my experience week long nausea has only ever meant one thing image, so I've peed on a stick and its all OK.  Not that it wouldn't be, because I'm not that dozy, ish.  Or at least I am more careful.

Wickett will now be sleeping in the garage, wearing tight undergarments and refraining from using the toilets at home (after all, that is how you get pregnant, sitting on toilet seats after a boy) just in case.

I'm told that there is a bug doing the rounds at college which is just nausea and headaches.  I now might accept that this is the more logical, though less dramatic, conclusion.

• Options

Hello from the sofa..........

Finished the box of chocs tonight. No running, turboing or anything energetic in this house.  Someone kick my butt!

• Options
    Its been a pilates night tonight.  Lots of stretching and core work.  And this horrible cruch thing:
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/marisafaith/Hundreds.jpg

I will have abs of steel soon.  Oh yes.
  • Options

Looks like a birthing position to me......image

• Options
    ouch I can feel that from here
  • Options
    I live in fear of trumping in positions like that! image
  • Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    I live in fear of trumping in positions like that! image
    LOL - you and me both image
  • Options

I shall have buns of steel too then image

I have received the european lucozade mountain in the post today.  Its all in powder form (other than the chewy bars and gels) so my instinct seems to be to mix them with vodka to see how it tastes.  That'd be bad.

Tonights run is:

40 mins with the first 20 mins very relaxed and easy and the second 20 mins faster pace and quite near to threshold if possible.

Which sounds... challenging. image

• Options

Hi Helen!

Its great to hear you had your products delivered today! Just a quick note to introduce myself on the forum and that I am looking forward to meeting with you on Saturday.

As a member of the Lucozade Sport Science Team I am here to provide any advice you may wish regarding your nutritional and hydration strategies leading up to the London Marathon!

All the best for your run this evening (500ml of water is more advisable to mix with the powders!)

See you at the weekend,

Chris

• Options

Where is the science in that? image  Is there any research on the effects of lucozade when mixed with spirits?  I think not!