Options

Chester Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Hi Runner 33

If your train does not get in until 8:50 you will have to get a taxi to the Rugby Club, which is about 3 miles from the station.  Registration closes at 9am so no time for hanging around. 

Personally I think that you are cutting it too fine - can you get an earlier train? 

Race day instructions are now on web site 

Regards

Chris 

• Options
    I think there's one gets in at 7:50 as well.  This would leave me with enough time even I was to walk from station to start wouldn't it?   And putting my bag in storage?  In fact is there anywhere for bag storage?
  • Options

Hi Runner 33

7:50 arrival should leave you enough time, bet you will be able to share a taxi with other runners as an alternative to walking (its 2.7 miles btw).  Will try & sort something out re baggage storage and will message you direct.

• Options

I'm glad you can register and collect your number on Sunday evening .  I was a bit concerned about there being large queues on the Monday.

• Options
    Subbuteorob wrote (see)

I'm glad you can register and collect your number on Sunday evening .  I was a bit concerned about there being large queues on the Monday.

Yeah, I hate rushing, which means I'll be chilled for once and only live in Elton near Chester so Monday should be the most relaxed pre marathon preperation ever... just starting to get nervous now... good stuf!!

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    I must say it all seems very well organised. Well done chaps !
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Yep well organised indeed ... well done. I'm getting quite excited now!

• Options
    D2D - I'd have loved to run this - but I'm away with the family that weekend. Curses....
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

D2D The Hospice of the Good Shepherd is the official charity for  this race.  Why don't you ask the organiser to donate your fee rather than pay me?  Doesn't really matter how they get the money, as long as they get it?

• Options

17 days to go.... it's getting closer image

Cheers Pug image

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    got Eyam half on sunday and this is a killer
  • Options

Yeah I was meant to race Chester Half this weekend however, decided against it, the training I've done and races during April... could be one race too many, so I'll be watching instead...

Cheers Pug image

• Options

Hi Folks

Two runners from Lincoln are after places, even if short notice. I have pm'd Devoted2Distance in case that place is still avail, but still need another place. Please contact Steve Campion directly at   stevethescanman A~T tiscali.co.uk

• Options

I'm shaking in my boots at the thought of this image

it might be easy easy easy,

then again it might not

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    hi mic phil

this will be my 4th mararthon and hoping to beat 4h21 which I got at Blackpool in 2004 and also doing Anglsey in September
  • Options
    Last long run (21m) for me today, topping off a 110 mile week. Looking forward to easing right down now. Hoping for a fairly cool day in 2 weeks time but dead excited, just got to break in my shiny new pair of adidas adios.
  • Options
    Pugheaven™ wrote (see)
    Chieftain Tank wrote (see)..., simply because it's against the rules having general people handing you a drink? Not sure where we stand on rules for this? For example, can I have my Dad hand me a drink at set points?

Cheers Pug image

Against the rules? I have never heard of such a rule is this in general or just for this race? For instance I find the orange drinks really acidic and prefer the rasberry or mixed berry varieties as they are kinder on the stomach. Do I stand the danger of disqualification if my wife hands me a bottle of lucozade then at the half-way point? What possible hard can this place on general runners - anyone come to think of it?

If this is the case then what about people handing out jelly beans or orange segments?!!

• Options

I have seen this in many races, I think it counts as assistance!!!  I don't agree with it, but dems da rules.

It really is no different than someone picking a drink from a table, except we can not all arrange for a table.  In fact it is just like taking the race organisers drinks.

Just get your wife to hand it to you, but say no more. image

• Options

and where would we stand if we popped into a shop to buy a drink? (I have done that before!!)

• Options

The organisers appear to have a pretty good set up for drinks stations. I do need to try and pick up some of the orange drink that is going to be on offer and give it a go during training, is it ok?

I have run in loads of races where racers have picked up gels and drinks etc from spectators and never thought anything of it, although i would rather just go with the stuff provided than worry about spotting somebody on route.

• Options

LOL at Hellen popping in to a shop.

I nearly had to on a hot mara, but had no cash.

I don't think I would worry too much and will try the orange stuff out as well, but more importantly carry my gels with me.  This is going to be a great race!

• Options
    I find carrying gels a bit of a pain in the arse, the only ones i can really handle are the Go gels but they are quite bulky and I wouldnt try and carry more than 2 or 3.
  • Options

I can only take Go gels too!  They are isotonic so easy to ingest.  I have taken to using a bum bag to carry them and my phone.  Since I train with it it does not seem to worry me in a race.

I used to carry a 750 ml bottle with me in maras too, but thankfully I have knocked that in the head. image  Definately not needed in this race.

• Options

Did anyone register and is not able to participate? I need a number and number transfer is possible!!!Of course I´d pay all fees!!!

Thanks

Bernhard

• Options
    jamesito wrote (see)

The organisers appear to have a pretty good set up for drinks stations. I do need to try and pick up some of the orange drink that is going to be on offer and give it a go during training, is it ok?

I have run in loads of races where racers have picked up gels and drinks etc from spectators and never thought anything of it, although i would rather just go with the stuff provided than worry about spotting somebody on route.

I tried the Sainsbury's stuff yesterday and it tasted fine - basically a typical orange drink. Not sure about how it stacks up against Lucozade etc., though with the isotonic properties.

As before my issue is that when you drink large quantities of orange flavoured drinks the acidic part seems to upset my stomach more than the blander berry flavours. Will have to live with it I guess - at least the organisers have given some considerable throught to the matter and have provided us with bottled drinks rather than the cups. On a marathon you need to be able to take a decent drink and bottles will help to do this.

• Options

agree about the orange flavour, I can drink it but dont drink as much as I would if it was berry or whatever the red one is. 

The time I went into a shop was on a hot day when I really fancied a cold coke from the fridge!! (I often call in a shop on my LR for a coke!!)

• Options

I use a Camelbak bumbag thing and fill it with SIS PSP22. I presume that is allowable. Whilst it is quite heavy to start with it does help in that it stops me setting off too quickly. It will be empty round about mile 17 and then I'll switch to the Sainsbury's stuff. I never seem to get on with the gels. Seem to give me stomach cramps. Prefer to take a little carbohydrate all the way around -  that seems better for my constitution.

Did my final long run on Saturday 20 miles in 2:59. On target for an attempt at sub 4 but if it is hot I'll just aim for a PB 4:20 or so.

• Options

I run this route daily for about 5 years and when it is hot it can be scorching with little cover most of the time.  It can also be windy on the way out, (usually).  I think we should be good at the end of may, not too hot.

I used the Lime PSP Electrolyte as it is not as heavy as the PSP22, though I like both. Can't do with Lucozade as it melts a hole in my stomach. image  I also find the Powerade blue one good to hold back dehydration.  Not having to carry any drinks will certainly bode well in this run for me.

• Options
    Yeah will be using the lIme if it is hot. I do a lot of my training on the Wirral Way so I assume the Chester course will be similar