Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Eeek.  No idea on heart rate, but the book I've got says not to train over 20 miles - over that the risk of injury outweighs the benefit.  It sounds fine to me (not that I'm remotely qualified to comment on an experience of all of two marathons!) but I really would suggest ramping down that last run.  Also make your longest run about 3 weeks before race day to give yourself a chance to taper.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience than me can advise

• Options
    I meant the final long run being the VLM .......... silly image
  • Options
    SR I've tried to send you the last newsletter by pasting it into the message thing, but if it didn't work just let me have your e-mail address and I'll forward it instead
  • Options

Hash, got the email now, via your message, thanks.

Mark,  I'm a fan of HR training, especially as where I run is so hilly it helps me maintain a constant effort over the ups and downs.  So hopefully I can help.

If you want to train by HR you'll obviously need a HR monitor! The first step is to find your maximum HR.  Various formulas exist, e.g. 220 minus your age, but frankly everyone is different and these can easily give you wrong values that throw your training out.  The best thing is to do a max HR test.  It's distinctly unpleasant, but you only need to do it once!  Warm up well, and then run for 2-3 minutes as fast as you can.  Jog for 2-3 minutes and then repeat the 2-3 mins running as fast as you can. The max HR you record during this session will be your maximum, and it usually occurs at some point in the second hard session.  You do really need to push yourself though, I was nearly sick!  It's also more effective, and likely to give you a more accurate value if you do the sessions up a slight hill.

Hope this helps

Mark

• Options

cool thanks Scuba

I will try this out..... I want to treat myself to a new Garmin 405 image

• Options

I like  the crunchy snow but boy is the slush hard work.  7 miles took me nearly 90 min image  I did run up and down outside the house twice to get it over the 7 of course image

No pizza here tonight, we had wild duck as supplied by The Teen before Christmas image

• Options

I needed to do about 6.9 to stay on target for the year but couldn't possibly leave it at that!

• Options
    Good girl!! I'm glad there are a few of us. The OH looked at me like I had horns coming out of my head when I didn't stop and ran straight past the house image
  • Options

Bridget,

You're times were very similar to mine (6.5 miles in 82 mins) so you've made me feel better about my awfully slow paces today!  Mind you it must have done some good, my quads are still rather tender!

Another nutter here Pixie, I was running circles in the local park to make sure I got the miles in!  Mind you I wasn't the only one, I passed the same bloke 6 times, he was running circles in the opposite direction!

• Options

It gets embarrassing after the first couple of passes, doesn't it!

Back to the coal face for me this morning, how many e-mails do you reckon after a week off? I'm hoping for less than 200.....

Just realised I forgot to post the split times from yesterday.  No idea what the bike time was, so I took a guess when I uploaded it to Fetch.  The treddie was set for a very gentle 8km/hr just as a warm up to check everything was still working.   Soooo glad it was, and everything's behaving this morning too, so imageimageimageimageimage

Anyway, splits for the last 4m which I did outside so can rely on the garmin's much better memory than mine

Mile  1 -9.30 average HR 132

Mile 2 - 9.28 average HR 142

Mile 3 - 9.14 average HR 140

Mile 4 -  9.48 average HR 145

• Options
    Me too.  Well, not work-related ones anyway!
  • Options

Well done everyone on their runs this weekend.  Thanks to Seren I did 5.5 miles which made my weekly total 25.2 which is the furthest I have run in weeks.   I was ably assisted by Benji and am sure without his help I would not have been as quick as I was.  Felt great though.

Looking forward to this weeks training.  But not sure when I will fit the long run in as I am doing a coaching course on Saturday so will have to try to squeeze it in on Friday - Maybe if I run to work again....

More snow forecast here tonight/tomorrow image

• Options

well done Hash tey are good times considering the westher My ten miles averaged  9.51 which is slower than I would normally do,I'm around 9.30 pretty similar times I guess. I have got a sort of "marathon" head on me now and am determined to try and go slower than I normally would on those long runs RW tell me for yesterdays average 9.53 so by a strange quirk of fate I was almost bang on image

It's the speed sessions  I will find hard theres no way can do 7.53 on a treadmill! still I'l cross that bridge when I come to it, have fun at work.

• Options

Well I was certainly slower than I've been for a long time yesterday, and it definitely didn't feel easy! Scuba, if you're running at 70% WHR you ARE training well, regardless of the speed, so I'd go by that. If you push up the HR it will become the equivalent of a tempo run. Once conditions underfoot improve, hopefully we'll all speed up with no extra effort!

Like the idea of herbs and garlic in the pizza dough, Hash. We have done similar with garlic puree, so that works well.

I have a recipe that has a black bean salsa with salmon - yummy. Will have to try & find Gordon's tuna and black bean recipe now.

• Options

Hi Vicky,

I hope you're good today...Well done on completing the weeks training -here's to an enjoyable week 2!

Great to hear your progress on the knee front too, at least a firm trusted diagnosis allows you to continue with some confidence.   Re. your question on the physio, I'm not sure on this front, but will look into and get back to you.

I'm just wondering if anyone had a chance to see or get involved with our Lead Sport Scientist Nick Morgan's Q+A session on Friday?  There was some great information shared, especially on the subject of fuelling for long runs, so do go back and have a read through if you can...

As the long runs get progressivley longer, now is the time we need to be considering our fuelling needs and planning how we can get that essential 30-60g of carbohydrate in per hour. Are we going to use drinks, gels, jelly beans, or a combination?  How many are we going to need, and when should we take them? Are we going to carry them on race day or make use of everything on course?   Lots to think about!   Vicky what are your plans, and are you making use of any products that work well for you at present?

Emma

• Options

morning all

2 of my 3 have gone to school so part fo me is saying I should go out for a run whilst I can..............but I have ran for the last 4 days so part of me tells me to have a rest day.......

if the snow comes back later then i will be mad that I didn't go out.......couldn't do any speed sessions out though because of all the snow and ice..............so could only do the slow or the easy run................decsions decisions.......................might do the 6m slow to get it over with as i can't stand the thought of doing that on a treadmillimage

• Options

big big snow heading our way apparently by tomorrow lunchtime/ afternoon, seren ... so might be worth getting out today or tomorrow morning ... having said that, the forecasts change by the hour!

Nice running Rio biggest mileage for ages in this weather is worthy of a standing ovation! And nice one hash too!

• Options
    Emma - I'll be using up the Christmas dates for long run fuel before going back to jelly babies!  I use gels in long races though as easier to carry.
  • Options

BB................I got out and did 6 miles slow..........pushed it a bit because it was hard work in the slush and ice.....

I will definitely have to do the speedier sessions on a treadmill unless we have more of a thaw because couldn't go fast out there at all.

I feel so much better for having done it...

• Options

If the predicted snow arrives tonight I will be running to work and home tomorrow and/or Wednesday which should do me for the week then!  But I am going to attempt to do the planned session today (tomorrow's session on the schedule)

I will probably go back to High5 gels as I really am not keen on the lucozade stuff (sorry Emma image)  And will have to work out how to stay hydrated again as I rarely drink on my runs in training however long.  Did most of my IM training on limited hydration too and survived ok.  Just make sure I drink plenty before I go out and plenty when I get back home again. 

Am prepared for a telling off now

• Options

Afternoon all, a quick lunchtime lurk.  Have I really only been back here half a day???

Emma thanks re the physio.   Your long distance diagnosis was absolutely spot on.  Rolling up and down on a rolling pin isn't my idea of a good hoot, but it isn't half doing the trick and that along with the exercises is really doing the job.  Like you say, half the battle is being confident in the diagnosis - it cures the paranoia straight away!  Nutrition-wise I haven't needed to start using any extra gels or jelly beans yet, but I will do for the longer runs when I start going over 90 minutes.  Hydration is pretty much sorted after last year, I know the location of every accessible tap in the district so I plot my route around where I can get refills, putting different loops in as the runs get longer.  Finding a wee-stop with enough shrubbery takes some doing in January, though!

Seren, I know what you mean, it's difficult isn't it?  I loved being able to get out there on Sunday, even if it was only for half the run.  The first half in the gym was just endurance, but as soon as I got outside I loved every minute of it.  They're forecasting more here too, but even if it doesn't snow, if it freezes over then it will be slippery as hell as it's really wet out there.  

Rod I'm in the same boat as you, it looks like speedwork on the dreadmill for me on Wednesday.   Yuck.   Rio, can I borrow Benji and how does he feel about treadmills?image

• Options

Afternoon all- hope your all well!!! 

Some good running in the snow guys!

I haven't been out since my snowy run but feel good that I only missed out on one lot of intervals off my first week of marathon plan so it coud be a lot worse!

TBH think I've caught a bit of a chill it took me 2hrs to gte home the other night (normaly only 40mins at most after a late shift) cos the buses were murder and I've never really experiencced being 'chilled to the bone' but I understand it fully now never want to be that cold again.  So took a few days off and enjoyed lie ins before and feel a lot better!!

Hopefully will get out for 3miler tonight with running buddy as pavements seem to be round here and got 11 miles planned for tomorrow but might head down to the river where its abit more off road!

HAppy and safe running all

• Options

Hello one and all, sounds like you all had good weekends and some productive running done! Well done hash, for your 7 miler, and for Future ref 4 miles of cycling = 1mile of running aprox. So pleased you had a pain free knee that’s really positive! Now lets keep it that way!

I am not sure about Physio, but they may well have one in store for you at the next LS SXX day...I am sure Emma will find out!

Take care this week and if it is still too slippy when you have to do the faster stuff it may well be worth doing it on the dreadmill, as we do not want to upset the knee again.

Markofkent: As long as you progressively build the time on your feet it looks like you will have banked sufficient amounts of running to run the marathon, as for the time you are aiming for that all depends on your natural ability.

Liz
  • Options
    Hash I think Benji would run on a treadmill.  The dog was born to run.  He loves it - the longer the better despite his little tiny legs.  Puts me to shame - there he is trotting along barely above a walk and I am slogging my guts out!! and all of his legs put together would barely come above my knee!
  • Options

Hash, I'm seriously impressed at the pace you managed on your 4 miles out, given the weather conditions.  I am usually a plodder, and have been Super Plodder Extreme this last week.  Running rather gingerly.  Loving getting out tho, and any bare patch it's good to lift the pace a bit.

If anyone else finds themselves having to do tempo/intervals on the dreadmill, and not knowing what speed to set it at, I found this tonight, works a treat., tho there's no chance I'll manage the paces!

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/convert.php

• Options

Wow!

Thanks HT - I was planning a treadmill session and was pondering the very same thing. Brilliant image

• Options
    I was using that pace converter earlier *cough* at work *cough* to convert minute miles to mph and writing it down in my Filofax image Just in case I need to do a dreadmill session. Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    thanks HT.....i was just trying to work some of hose out in my headimage