Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Is the hub near the start then?

I read that there is a beer tent at the end also, will this be somewhere worth sticking around for a short while and having a drink while the rush dies down or is it a bit basic?

• Options

I wonder what the time ranges for each group are. I put down 3:15 as my predicted time and am in the white start on London Road.

• Options

RR54, I put down 2.59 and I'm on red

• Options
    Aah top spot on the trains only being every hour. I think the bus will be a better option for me. Thanks - I'll go buy my pass online.
  • Options
    Blimey. I now possess a mahooosive bus ticket. A4 size. I may blow it up to A3 in case the driver has poor vision.

Is it really a 45 min drive back to town ?
  • Options

Re: Race Numbers / Number Colours

Anyone who has done this in previous years, or any major events for that matter, have any experience of runners being in the wrong timing/starting block?

My pace has picked up noticably in the past couple of weeks, so much so that I should easily beat my predicted race time by at least 15 mins.

Is it frowned upon if someone gets into the wrong block? Don't want my time to be held back by other runners starting significantly slower than I would be. : S

Thanks

• Options

I just purchased my wife a "return" bus ticket... but I didn't buy one for our daughter (19 months old who'll be in a pushchair).  I trust the organisers don't expect the little one to also have a £6 ticket to get on the bus??

• Options

Darren - it says on the website that the starting pens will be enforced but I haven't seen that happen when I've run it in the past - and I reckon if you're asked if you say that you're training is good and you're time has changed I don't see them kicking up too much of a fuss.

6 days till it's all over (for another year at least)

Duffs

• Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭
    Slogged out 10K at a steady 10kph on the treadmill this afternoon, what an absolute choir. Although it may have something to do with 11 pints last night.....
  • Options

Bedders, were you singing image maybe you were still half canned

just back from 8 steady miles 6:40 pace,ive hadnt run since last thursday so was having to reign it in a bit and stop myself wanting to pick up the pace.

Tomorrow night is the clubs annual 5 mile race, so i`ve decided to marshall, i think they`ll have to nail my feet to the floor,i`m just no good at spectating

take it easy this week everyone,all the hard work is done

• Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭
    3 miles round my local park around 7.30 a mile, no race number yet. Getting worried now. Wish they had sent them out a lot earlier.
  • Options
    markmywordsmarkmywords ✭✭✭
    Good 6 miles on Sunday with a heavily bandaged ankle. Very little problem so should all be fine for Sunday!!!! Bring it on!
  • Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭
    Jakesy wrote (see)

Bedders, were you singing image maybe you were still half canned

Bollocks, just noticed the typo! image

This tapering business is an absolute nightmare, I just feel like a lazy sod!

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Hey all! Getting nervous and excited.  I put 2:58 and am on red start. 

Can't wait, my first marathon.  Just have to endure the train from/to Plymouth!

Sh's a journey!

• Options

Hi guys,

Just wanted to wish you all luck for the marathon this Sunday. I was also wondering if any readers out there who are not taking park of perhaps people who are have freinds or family who would like to be part of a cheering station for those people running for the Barnardo's charity.

So if you or anyone you know can spare any time between 11:00 - 13:30 we would greatly appreciate your help.

If this sounds of interest please contact me emma.marshall@barnardos.org.uk

Once again I wish all participants the best of luck.

Emma

• Options
    Toro - on the other thread you said you were going for sub 4 ?
    So why put 2.58 ?
  • Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭
    2.58 sounds ambitious for a first marathon , going for 4 hours  for my first. Hope my number is there tonight.
  • Options

Cougie, I think you've rumbled Toro there.

Toro, make sure you stick to the side so all those people who put the correct prediction can get by you and I hope that being overtaken all the race doesn't bother you too much.

Darren, I started the GNR 2 pens further back than my predicted time and it didn't make much difference really - and that was packed. It just made me feel good overtaking all the Toros!

This is my 3rd Marathon this year and I'm finding it hard to be motivated for it. I wanted to get under 3 hours this year and did it at the first one (Barcelona). I then ran in Milan 5 weeks later and just enjoyed it, went round in 3:22 - was looking at about 3:15 until much needed toilet stop at 24 miles. Italian toilets aren't great for your quads when you've run that distance! Not sure what I 'll do for this one but to be honest I don't care image

Better go and check my start position - think I put 2:10 (just kidding!)

• Options
    Annoying thing about this one is that you had the chance to change your prediction up until a few weeks ago.

I really can't see the advantage in starting further forward and messing your pace up by being amongst faster runners.
  • Options

Cougie, unfortunately there are a few selfish runners that do it all the time so they are not held up at all. I've even heard people say to others to make sure they put in a faster time than their prediction. Ten minutes in case you have a stormer I can understand but anymore than that is taking the P and totally disrespectful to everyone around and behind you.

Personally I wouldn't want to be overtaken all the time as Its not good for the mind, something that is crucial in a Marathon. I don't wish anyone a bad race so for those that do start too far forward because they've not thought about it properly, try not to get demoralised as you get left behind and stay focussed on your own race and don't let it bother you too much.

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. 1st time on this thread. I'm an Edinburgh laddie, and have done this mara every years since 05, so can answer a few questions here.

Unfortunately they've changed the end of the race, it used to finish in front of the grandstand at the race course, but now finishes on the road that runs alongside the racecourse, thing about that is, it was good afters as the racecourse had a few bars you could choose from afters for a bevvy, now looks like all the post race doings are across the road in the playing fields. They've just got a beertent, and I'm guessing now there'll be nowhere to get a seat undercover, so if weathers crap it'll not be much fun to hang about. Also, the buses back, yeah, would guess it'd take about 45 mins as the traffic will be murder, (luckily I'll be getting a lift), if you don't get the shuttle buses just walk up to the High St and grab any number of the multitude of local buses (cost £1.30) back into town.

Hope you all enjoy your stay in my hame town, bring clothes for about 15 types of weather as we get all sorts in one day up here (normally involves rain and wind).

Cheers.image

Neil - Red Pen, London Rd.  

PS, the boy who put himself in the wrong pen, bad idea chief, just get out the road of the guys that can run that pace please.

• Options
    My number just arrived. I put down 3:40 and they've put me in the Yellow pen. Is that the last pen??
  • Options
    Its my first marathon and am looking to do 4:15. I am concerned I will go off too quickly and burn myself out early! Does anyone know if there are any pacers at Edinburgh?
  • Options

Vince,

according to the website there are no pacers.

• Options
    Do you have a stopwatch ? Time how long it takes you to each mile marker ? Nine mins 45 secs is about right for you. And after mile 20 you can speed up.
  • Options
    Yellow is the last pen on London Rd  - that starts 10 minutes before other start which must have the slower predicted times. Just a guess as 3:40 is obviously not a back marker's time
  • Options

Thanks NMN. They didn't mention the other start in the final instructions. Maybe they only give you the bit about your own start.

Vince do you not have a Garmin so you can see your average pace? It's much better to run the same pace throughout the marathon although you'll probably start to slow after 20.

• Options

Hi ,

Some useful advice on this thread, appreciate it.  I have a few questions:

Is the first half easier than the second regarding inclines etc ?

How strict is the usage of MP3s etc marshalled ?

What is the biggest beer you can buy at the end?

How does this compare for "running room " compared to say the GNR ?

Finally I am in yellow  on London Rd, are the London rd starters expected to be clear of Regent rd starters or do they just merge??

Cheers

Pat

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Pat/Everyone else:

1. I'd say 1st half is easier in terms that for the 1st few miles your making your way down to the shoreline so the elevation decreases quite a bit (they've got the course elevation on the website), then it's pretty much as you were. The hardest part of the race will be when it enters Gosford House at 18miles, there's zero support, and tends to be warmer, then there's a pretty nasty (even though it's quite short) sharp incline/hairpin bend at Lyars Rd at M20, I think this will finish a lot of people off quite frankly, in the past this has ben at M16, god knows why they've swapped it round this year, seems a bit silly to me. Apart from that, the course is flat as you'll get. Looks like the wind will be coming from the West so depending on how strong it is (and I can tell you, living here, it can be VERY strong indeed) it could be a blessing or a curse, we'll have it behind us the first 18M and facing us the last 8.

2. Not a problem, if you want to wear one - go ahead.

3. Pints. Pity it's not gallons. Just do what i do and buy several pints. image

4. I'd say it's better at the start than London, I've never found it a problem crowding wise.

5. We'll be clear off the Regent Roaders.

Cheers! Another 6miles in at lunch. Feeling good, roll on Sunday. image

• Options
    Sorry for my odd question but how are we going to know our results?