Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭
    How many runs are people planning now as part of the tapering process? Funny as was getting fed up with long runs and had an injury but had a great 9 mile run on Saturday and going to find the next 12 days frustrating , though will wonder how frustrating it is around the 15 to 20 mile mark.
  • Options

no more runs over 10 miles,its time to look after yourselves,nothing you do now will help on race day so best thing is to just tick over til race day.

i`ll be doing some track tonight and thursday,long run of 10 miles at the weekend then 2 very easy 5 mile runs next week.

Travelling up from Liverpool on Friday night with the wife and two nuisances so we can have a day out in Edinburgh on the Saturday.

• Options

planning on doing 4 or 4 tonight, 6ish on thursday, 4 on saturday, 8 on sunday

then next week probably 4 or 5 on tuesday, then 4 on friday in scotland woohoooo!!!

• Options
    AlfretonRSC_77 wrote (see)
    Shorn sheep: actually from sutton in Ashfield the name stands for Alfreton road supporters club! Weird I know. Will be travelling up on the Friday a nice five hour or so drive. Mega. Glad to hear about gels means I don't have to carry any. I checked it out and it's about six miles from Musselburgh to Edinburgh centre. Is that too far for a warm down to walk it back after a marathon?! image Must admit Iam very much looking forward to it!!

There is a train from wallyford at 41 minutes past each hour, which takes about 6 minutes to Edinburgh waverly, near the start.

By the look of it wallyford is about 3/4 mile or so from the finish.

I for one wont have the energy left for a 6 mile (uphill) warm down!!

We are leaving a car near the finish (as close as we can get) the night before so I wont have too far to stagger!

I was at school in Mansfield - small world?

• Options

Hi, reading all your comments are making me feel nervous and excited at the same time.  It is 10 years since I ran a  marathon.  Last May I decided was time to start again, so I stopped smoking, and lost 4 and a half stone in the bargain.  I really didnt know if I could do at my age (49) but my training partner, Angela, has encouraged me and kept me going, as well as some lovely posts on here.

I have done recent runs of East Hull 20 on March 20th in 2 hours 44min and Rothwell 10k on the 2nd May in 45.05.  I really would like to do sub four hours but I know that is a lot to ask.

Good luck to everyone who is running and also thank you to all the supporters who go to watch their friends and family it is so comforting and reassuring to have a friendly face at the finish!

Jan

• Options
    Jan, well done on quitting smoking and the amazing weight loss,judging by your recent race times, i think its very likely that you`ll break 4 hrs. Good luck
  • Options

Nervous and excited here too!

Good luck everyone. You can do it Jan.

• Options
    I can only find a 10 day weather forecast.

Anyone have access to a longer range forecast and care to share what Sunday 22nd is likely to throw at us?
  • Options

Thanks Jakesy and Sequin,  good luck to you both.    Plodder hope this link works it tells you the weather

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk714day3;page=6;type=free;ct=10029~Edinburgh Castle;sess=

• Options

Just tested it,  highlight it, right click and then open link, it takes you to the 22nd May.

Jan 

• Options
    Jan,take it easy on the first half of your run on May 22nd,you will have more than enough left to get you over the line in less than 4hrs,have a good one.
  • Options

Wise words Slowhand. The race begins in the final 6 miles...

Sports massage tomorrow- much needed.

Anyone who has already done the course able to give any details about what to expect in terms of crowd support/course landmarks? Have only ever done VLM...

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Jan,

Thanks for the link. Looks good - fingers crossed.

• Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭
    'Final Details' are available to download from the official EMF site now. Login to your account and it should be there. I'm on the 'London Road' start (believe there's another one too)......?
  • Options
    Thanks Bedders and Jan for the links. Very helpful!
  • Options
    Hmmm i can't see where the final details are on my account!!
  • Options

Hello All been a couple of years since I posted on here.

Am I right in saying the finish is not actually in the racecourse this year, but nearer the pub at the east end of the racecourse?

In addition any advice for  travelling by car.Park in the city and travel back up or park near the finish and be able to just jump(not sure I'll be jumping maybe falling)in the car once finished, or park and ride options.

• Options

Had it confirmed on another site - The finish is about 600 metres before the grandstand and there will be no spectators at the finish.Spectators are to watch from a big screen which by the looks of it is in a school playing field (Loretto?)

They want £5 for parking at the course but the finish isn't in the course so a bit puzzled by this too.

Final rant there is an additional finger loop at gosford house to compensate for the change of finishing position  just what we always wanted.

It is frustrating when organisers leave you in the dark and expect you to accept any changes.

• Options

i havent got a scooby what the course is so it wont matter much to me as long as its 26.2

been circuit training tonight,feel like ive got too much energy now as opposed to being constantly tired for the last 3 months

• Options

Hi folks, newbie just signed up for this forum tonight ...

Has anyone got an entry for the Edinburgh Marathon on May 22nd they would like to dispose of in my direction at cost or thereabaouts?

Contact me on /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]tride.environmental@virgin.net]stride.environmental@virgin.net or 07960 481392

Thanks and best regards,

Doug

• Options

Took this snipet from the final details

"The finish line is on Linkfield road. There is NO
    ACCESS for spectators to this area. Spectators
    can watch the finish live from the reunion area on
    a jumbo screen. Do not attempt to reach the finish
    line. Spectators can rejoin the runners in the reunion
    area where there will be a-z signage. Please agree
    in advance with your runner where you will meet as
    there will be a lot of people in this area. If you have
    a while to wait until your runner is due there is lots to
    see and do in the reunion area or Musselburgh High
    Street is a short walk away."

Will they actualy inforce this? Its not on how they have taken that granstand finish away and want you to finish this years marathon in near silence. Well I would imagine they will be some people out who live in the houses. But that granstand finish was probably the best part of the race last year for me

• Options

From listening to a number of the spectators and runners last year there were some problems caused by the change in running surface from road to the covered grass in the grandstand and a few people cramped up in the final straight - although I did it last year as well as the Edinburgh Half this year with the same finish and there was no problem. Agreed though that that was one of the best bits of the race and the support over the finish was very welcome. Oh well - I'm sure people will sneak in anyway

9 days 23 hours 45 minutes to go image

Duffs

• Options

Yep not long now, nervous and excited!

I have noticed today there was 2 releases of "final details" yesterday. I have saved both the PDF's. As I suspected the mile markers were wrong on the route on the first release.

Now that the finish changes have took place, I am wondering where to tell me family to go to see me. Do they take the risk of watching/squinting at the big screen, or shall I tell them to walk about a quarter of a mile away from finish area to catch me coming in? What do you guys reckon?

• Options

I'd be tempted to tell them to try and catch you in person and agree a place (either a mile marker or a landmark) so you can look out for them and shout to make sure they see you (unless you'll be wearing a banana outfit or something so assistance not needed) - it'd be rubbish if they missed you on the big screen!

I suspect there may be finish line photos you will be able to buy so they can see (and laugh at) the relief at the finish as well (I remember one year there was a finish line DVD you could buy and it was sold according to finish time so you definately got to see yourself (cos I want to remember how red my face was after 26.2 miles)

Duffs

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭
    No grandstand finish?  Hmmm - a week on Sunday will be the proof but I'm far from convinced right now...
  • Options
    I think that after 26 miles I won't mind a lack of grandstand image
  • Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭

Have a 10 a.m start time. Am staying in a B and B within the city centre so will work out the logistics on the day.

As this is my first marathon I presume the best time for breakfast would be around 8 a. m and I will be looking for pasta somewhere on the Saturday night, I presume the place will be heaving.

Noticed that Arthurs Seat is between the 1st and 2 nd mile so I presume that part of the course is pretty hilly?

• Options

I'd look for somewhere nice and early for pasta dinner on the Saturday as it was heaving last year. If the course is the same (other than the finish) to last year it passes Arthur's Seat but doesn't go up so I don't think the hills are that bad (fingers crossed).

Wexter - the time is fine but check on the website under final details for your starting place - It's London Road and Regents Road and it's done by predicted finish times

Duffs

• Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭
    Thanks Duffs, I do not know Edinburgh but a friend of mine was talking about Arthurs Seat recently so had palpitations looking at the course map at the thought of it.
  • Options
    Gutted about the lack of the grandstand finish, especially as they continue to include it in the description of the half. There's something to be said for spectators, the amazing finish at the Glasgow Half last year really carried me across the line