Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

It is indeed dissapointing to hear about the lack of Grandstand fninsh. However the inclusion of a big screen and beer tents for spectators should keep my wife happy while she has a lengthy 5+ hour wait for me!

I'm hoping that the showers are substantial enough to cope with the numbers of runners, as the thought of a shower, change of clothes and cold beer may be enough to carry me through those last few miles!

• Options

Wexster - I would book somewhere now, like pizza hut etc, I know you can book a table in advance. I went to pizza huit last year and ques to get a table were going outside the restaurant.

With regards to Arthers seat, you do pass it but there is certainly no hills image

• Options

There is a chain of Italian Restaurants, one of which is called Vittoria - if you google Vittoria Edinburgh you will find their Website. I think there are at least 3 restaurants and they have great reviews on Trip Advisor.  I booked a table online with total ease for me and my friend for the Saturday night.

Jeanette

• Options
    One20FourOne20Four ✭✭✭

Am more than a bit peeved too about the lack of grandstand finish. I've done a few races where they finish at such places and it's great,......... but hey ho................I'll probs be sooooo tired I will just want the finish line to appear no matter what's there !!!

Overall I think they have left it late to advise about the route / get race numbers out (we like to have them early don't we..It's part of the fun getting your number in the post!) and put final details on the site.

I guess it's a big logistic job though and I certainly wouldn't want to do it so lets just crack on and do it and have a great time (for the first 18miles or so anyway!!)

This is my first proper taper and I read that it's hard but didn't think it would be. It bloomin is though !.......Have just been out for a 6 miler tonight and feel like a fraud for not going very far!!.........I'll stick to my schedule though cos they must know better than me (I hope!!)

8 to 10 miles at the weekend then a couple of easy runs next week then OMG that's it!!!!!!!!!

Good luck everyone........hope it all goes realy well......take careimage

• Options
    oldscotiaoldscotia ✭✭✭

Answers to some questions? :

Is it hilly ? Definately not, and you certainly don't go over Arthurs Seat, you run past it.

Bus services ?  Have a look at the Lothian Bus Service for the 22nd May. The company have posted special details on their website. Despite what the Marathon organisers say Lothian Buses are providing a service on the day to and from Musselburgh to the city centre albeit restricted. See the 26A service.

Is there good spectator support? It is not in any way comparable with the London. There is support at the start and the finish and a long the seafront around Portobello. A lot of the course is out in the country not in the city and spectator support is patchy.

• Options
    Thank-you Oldscotia.
  • Options
    Bugger. My Card wouldn't go through on the site yesterday and now they've closed entries to the Half Marathon. Does anyone know of anyone looking to transfer their place? I don't think I'd be able to raise the money for a charity entry in time. image

This is what I get for having the fear and leaving things to the last minute!
  • Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭

Thanks for answering questions on course. I was hoping for spectator support, especially as have never run further then 20 miles and so would be nice to have something to motivate me. I also train with music but run events without music so would have been nice to have people cheering. Was in a pub on Tower Hill when it was London and was great atmosphere but never mind , I shall enjoy my first marathon experience.

Probably say never again ( like I did after my 20 mile race), and then probably enter another one next year.

• Options
    How are you all dealing with the tapering? I did 14 miles on Monday, 8 last night and will probably do another 8-10 tomorrow with just a short one mid week.

I tested my new running gear last night and will also be getting my name printed on my shirt for that added motivation!

It's a bummer this no drinking lark, it's my birthday today and the temptation is looming....
  • Options

Hail Hail

Enough beating round the bush - its a bunch of fucking shit.  They promised a grandstand finish and have reneged for whatever reason.  For runners it a lack of well-needed morale coming across the line, for supporters - big screen my arse, just stay home and watch it on Sky.  Seriously, you wont be able to see your runner coming in the final straight, and then you'll get a 2 second glimpse as they cross the line.  The final instructions thing smacks of penny pinching too - lets get them all to download and print them themselves and we'll save on the printing and postage costs.  Race pack to be delivered by the Fri before the race?  What if you're travelling up to Edinburgh for the whole weekend?  Race packs should have been sent out with 2 weeks to spare.  This is one of the UKs most expensive marathons, and I expect better VFM and better organisation.  Call me a grumpy old git, but this will be my 4th Edinburgh and also my last.  I'm one of the lucky ones - I'll be towards the front end (sub2.45 target) and will get the best experiences (ie no running out of water, reasonably organised finish area), but I will not be back. 

Oh, and the website aint working at the moment either.

• Options
    Does anyone have an Edinburgh marathon place that they do not want ? contact me on 07810536854 if you do thanks.
  • Options
    I know of a female place going begging for Edinburgh.  Do you fit that description?
  • Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Just for reference, I was just reading the EMF website...

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/?emf_half_marathon

"The EMF Half Marathon will start at 08:00 with the marathon starting later at 10:00, ensuring only one set of runners on the course at any one time, but it will still capture the big race excitement of the Edinburgh Marathon and the grandstand finish in Musselburgh."

• Options
    Oldscotia, can you tell me how long the journey is from Fisherrow to St Andrews Sq? I will be staying at Premier Inn but think it would probably be better to drive to the start and park in a car park as I would have to drive to Fisherrow anyway?? Thanks in anticipation.
  • Options
    Driving is a no no - how can you have a celebratory drink afterwards?
  • Options

Number arrived this morning,oh god, its really happening next week innit

Jakesy  red start 231

• Options
    11 miles done this morning, feeling the sharpness returning, time to rest up now until the big day!

C'mon Mr Postman, bring me my number...
  • Options
    Nr 8181 Regent Rd Green pen.......See you there?
  • Options

Blue 10522 Regent Road Start

Is it too late to chicken out ??

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

See you there Duffs...

Blue 10563 Regent Road

Eek!

• Options
    Good to hear Chri5B - Go on the blue runners!!!image
  • Options
    Jeepers, one week to go.
    No number arrived in Wigan yet.
    Some pretty negative comments about the organisation.
    All will proved soon enough.
    Just got my accommodation booked, driving up Friday for a chilled out Saturday.
    Keep up with the tapering...
  • Options
    BeddersBedders ✭✭✭
    Mine too arrived this morning; Red - London Road - 142image
  • Options
    Metcheck forcast:
    5 degrees, feels like -1, 25 mph Northerly wind, freekin'...!!!
  • Options
    My number just arrived. The reality of it has hit me. My 1st ever marathon. I'm not as well prepared as I'd hoped. Had problems with injury. Then my cross training was messed up because I broke my hand so couldn't swim or row anymore. I've done very little running this past month in the hope that my injuries will get a chance to heal. I'm not expectng a good time. I just want to make it over the finish line and kind of enjoy the experience. I know it's going to be hard. I'm just panicking right now.
  • Options

I'm sure you'll do fine Abi_Snail, Most of the hard work will have been done before this last month anyway. I just aim to finish as well and have fun on the day. Just enjoy the day

• Options
    Number arrived this morning 6592 pink,Regent road start....not many more sleeps now.Weather forecast 15C and overcast,a wee bit of drizzle would be nice.
    Dave.
  • Options
    Just checked the forecast and I found one that says 6 degrees, feels like minus 1 and another that says 17degrees feels like 18??????????????????
  • Options
    Can I choose the 17 degree one?
  • Options
    My number arrived today also. Red start for me. First ever marathon, getting scared now.