Options

Pirate Mentors / Mentorees 2011

Comments

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I've only ever done one long group ride and although it was fun, it was not good training - so many stops and starts and faffing

I did all my long IM training rides on my own and only stopped if I needed to pee or change a puncture - much better training than dawdling along stopping for cakes

cakes are over rated anyway - I'd rather eat a mars bar on the bike image
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Sit behind someone faster then.     I take your point but I think people differ on this one - I can do reasonably long - say 50-60 miles - solo rides fairly hard but they are less fun and harder mentally than the same effort done in a group.  Not getting left behind by your mates is always a good motivator and a bit of company makes the time pass quicker.   

whoops - x post with the one over the page - think it was Bassy.  

• Options
    +1 with bassy

training for long rides on your own or with someone whose a close match at least is also good mental prep for race day when you are very much on your own racing
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    pops - yes, long rides in company are more fun, but you can't chat your way round an IM bike
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Another reason to take up road racing then.
  • Options
    popsider - finding the right group would be key. however, learning to focus throughout the entire duration of a long ride is one of the skills IM people are trying to learn - that's what we have to do in the race.
  • Options
    i am going to try my local cycle club with the aim of getting a saturday hard ride done. i'll probably still do my longest ride alone.
  • Options
    Not for the first time, I find myself agreeing with melli & FB.  Group riding is a good way of getting in the miles and does provide motivation but nothing beats long solo rides for mental preparation for IM.
  • Options

Hello All!

Happy to mentor someone if they need it.  Happy to give advice on any aspect of training and racing and whilst I wouldn't want to set a plan I'd be happy to review one as necessary.

I completed my first IM in 2006 (Germany) in 13.26 self-coached and then did very little tri training for four years.  I bounced back in 2010 with IMCH in 12.43 followed by the little matter of a Double IM two weeks later (32.16) which went really well and I totally enjoyed! image  All of my exploits have been self-coached and I have realised that you can achieve much more than you think and don't have to do crazy distances to prepare for IM or even Double IM.  I would rate myself as a middle of the pack athlete but I also have an MSc in Sports Science so can get a bit more down in the weeds if needs be.  Definitely not going to be any use with any bike mechanical questions though unless they are SUPER basic! image

• Options
    Group rides, either with DB or my local cycling club have also helped me learn about bike handling. And a good place to find cycling mentors too image
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I do agree Melli - getting the right group is the key - or solo - it's about getting the effort for the duration right.   I tend to opt out of certain local training rides these days and sort my own rides with a few others - if we do stop it'll be towards the end of the ride and then the bit afterwards is just an easy ride home - the training is done first.  

Winter I do a steady group of our chain gang but do a lap solo first so I end up with 45-50 miles without going into the red - I'd just find it hard to go out on a wet, cold, Tuesday evening and do  that route on my own.   It has taken a few years of being into cycling but I've learned to use the local rides to suit me rather than letting them dictate my training.   I couldn't do it for 12 months though - some of the year I set aside just to do whatever is most fun.         

Take the point about the need to focus for a long solo event - inevitably there will be times when I can only get out at times that others can't so I get enough solo stuff done - I can see why that's necessary.   

• Options

I agree about the mental toughening bit but I also feel more motivated going with company....and I clearly remember fb beasting a few of us on a long Cotswold ride....

Having said that, you do really need to endure a few shitty days out on your own when things aren't going well....if you train hard the race gets easier...

...(how fecking trite was that???)

• Options

Happy to throw my services into the mix.  Done 4 x Ironman (Switzerland, Austria, Lanzarote and Bolton).  Doing Nice next year and targetting 12 hrs.  Based west wales, love beer and food so out there with the more balancing act guys, rather than hardcore diet and train!!! 

Agree with above, group rides are great but in perfect world, for IM you need a couple of long solo rides.  Not only for mental toughnes, but to get your own personal pace right.  get this wrong on the day and the marathon becomes rather long!!!!

• Options
    I think group riding is essential in the winter just to keep your spirits up and get you out of the door when the weather it cr@p.  As has already been mentioned its all about picking the right group.  If you find your self tucked into a pack for 4 hours, its not an issue in my opinion as you will still be working, and probably doing yourself a favour by going easier (effort wise), especially in the base building stage.  When you get stronger, get up the front and do your 15-20 mins then sit back in the pack and recover. As the season progresses and you need to start getting the intensity specific to your race plan, nothing better than a few 25, 50 or 100 mile TT's and get a weekly 10 as your speed work.  Speed and power training is highly neglected by long distance age groupers.
  • Options
    *lurks thinking how fab it is that so many people are willing to help & hopes all the willing mentors are not taken before I can make a definative decision re Outlaw 2011*
  • Options
    image Get on with it. Sign up and play. imageimage
  • Options

I wouldn't disagree with any of that Dooz. It might be a bit scary sounding / advanced for total beginners. I'm sure those that have advocated solo riding here have done so as a contrast to 'riding with a couple of friends chatting, stopping to wait for people and having multiple cake stops' rather than as opposed to joining the local chain gang for 3hours hard tempo riding.

I agree that people can neglect hard riding. Basically we're both saying make your training effective. For some people that is going to mean riding alone rather than bimbling with a friend. Definitely for me I benefit from trying not to get dropped by Mike and I think mixing with a few good cyclists will do me good.

• Options
    i don't think 'group riding is essential' though image i've done very little so far.  or maybe I hope it is essential - i'd like to get a huge improvement by including it!
  • Options

Group rides very useful for confidence and also so you actually think about how far you can go. Just best to be able to get with people of the same ability or who are willing to keep at the same pace as you.

As for cake stops? For training overrated, might you my version of a cake stop involved a pint mug of tea, a very big slice of cake and a fag.

• Options
    I don't understand your last sentence?
  • Options

image Perfectly normal to not understand I'm special. image

As for cake stops? For training overrated, mind you my version of a cake stop involved a pint mug of tea, a very big slice of cake and a fag.

There is a excellent cafe in the peak district that sells tea by the pint and legendary to all that bike/run/climb/cave around those parts, was just talking alond about it. Sorry for the daft refferance. You go out do the miles and get a cup of tea before having to go back.

A reward for a good days training very useful but save the reward till after you have fineshed the training.  

• Options

I think the definition of group riding can vary from one perspective to another.  What I meant by essential, is more of a training partners, friends aspect to drag your arse out of the door on those cold winter mornings for 3-4 hours. Admitedly, some very determined people probably dont need to have someone to do that, but the vast majority of people are more likely to train if they are meeting others.  That 'group' definition I also class as going out in pairs/threes.  I just think itas a long winter to train on your own all the time.

Many cycling clubs arent actually that intimidating, and are quite friendly.  At mine for example, the winter club runs are very slow, ave 15mph (to some of you this will sound fast, but in a group it really isnt).  The faster riders tend to have there own training ride every sunday, which is still steady (relative) at about 18-19 mph.  It just doesnt have a cake stop.  Chain gangs are a different story altogether and should be avoided by beginners at all costs.

Joining weekly winter club runs are a good way of meeting new people, getting steady miles in and learning new routes, and training tips of some worldly old cyclists. 

• Options

Grindleford station cafe? I know it well. I lived in Sheffield from 1986-1998 and walked up and down Padley Gorge many times.

• Options
    I must admit, I prefer my tea and cake after a ride, its hard to get going again once you stop.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I would have thought that all you folks can help/advise each other along without needing individual mentors. I dont follow any schedules for any of my running or Tri stuff, but plenty of forum folks offer me valuable advice when I ask for it.

I do all of my training on my tod, but then I dont do Iron distance stuff, my longest runs are 20M and bike rides are 60M. Mark Allen makes his athletes go off and live and train alone for some of their training, so they get to really know themselves.

• Options

me too! i pre-prep my dinner (that's lunch to you image ), put the oven on the timer and sit down at the trough after a hot bath.

blimey, I think I'd forgotten cold, wet winter rides.

• Options
    They arent far off lol.
  • Options
    mellifera wrote (see)

Grindleford station cafe? I know it well. I lived in Sheffield from 1986-1998 and walked up and down Padley Gorge many times.

You've found the level. Nothing finer although there are a few places that run along the same lines now on the verges of hendersons country.image
  • Options
    People can do that TR but the two ways are not exclusive. You have already have built up a huge amount of experience - some of the people who've decided to do an IM are total beginners and have little experience even in running. There's quite a lot to learn and not that much time to do it. I think if you've been exercising for a long time you forget how much you've picked up over the years. Your remark about Mark Allen (which I've only heard in the context of him advising Macca) demonstrates that. I bet some of the people signed up for Regensburg don't know, or have only recently discovered who Mark Allen is because they're so new to endurance sports.
  • Options
    Cake wrote (see)
    image Get on with it. Sign up and play. imageimage

Oi!  You know it's out of my hands.  I've frickin trained for the vit with a great big neuroma in my foot, gone through having new cycling shoes, new trainers, 2 different sets of orthotics and steroid injections - I ain't doing an IM till it's been dug out.  So until I've begged the surgeon to fit me in asap after the vit, I'm not comitting.  I'm just hoping I'm not being over optimistic... Surgery before mid November, 2 weeks off completely on crutches, 4 more weeks taking it easy (able to swim & build up cycle & walk/run), then start training - at latest new year? 

So anyone want to mentor someone who's very logical & will have to work out why something doesn't work, or why it does work, will be recovering from surgery, and whose weakest discipline is running? (wow, I'm really selling myself) .... On the plus side, I absorb info like a sponge, I will practise & practice things until I get them right (I've knocked 15mins off 1500m swim in 4months).

mellifera wrote (see)

I reckon Cake was refering to the woodbine in Hope, Grindleford cafe's more reknown for their breakfasts than cake.  Both are fab, you've got to love all the signs at Grindleford!  I'm defo all for cake stop at the end of the ride - there has to be a reward image