Options

Ironman Wales 2011

Comments

• Options

Pebbels I think is cycling it this week so he should be able to inform.........i think its going to be closed roads which will be brilliant..........

mind just remember when pebbles gives us his opinion........he is one of the strongest pirates on the bike and is used to hills.......image

there is quite a bit of flattish roads down tenby way near the coast.....it depends on how they do it for the traffic free part...........I'm away this weekend so hoping taht when I get back we will have more infoimage

I might go and recce the route once its made known........just an hour or two down the motorway for me

• Options
    Assuming it'll be the same as the Sportive rhis Saturday as part of The Long Course Weekend, then 191.49km with +1,092m of climbing.
  • Options
    It's a shame this looks as though it will be in September (as is Challenge Henley) - I find this too late to wait for my 'A' race and I can't afford to do two!
  • Options
    Perfect timing, you will have all summer and its fanatstic weather and late nights to get the training in.image
  • Options

Cona - the distance between IM is a little more complex....I'd say 2 or 3 weeks apart is actually easier than 5, with 6 being even worse but 8 being fine.

Its all down to the recovery from the peak, you can push it for 2 or 3 weeks but come 5 or 6 you're on the way down. You can combat this if you're used to a heavy volume (relative to your finish time) and don't do a standard taper. But if you were doing say a 16 hour per week plan, with a 3 week taper then a 12 hour IM will be quite a shock to the system and after 3 or 4 weeks you'll have slumped a lot from your peak. If you're used to 20+ hr per week, don't taper and race 10hr then you don't get the same impact.

It's all possible and different people will cope differently, it depends on your goals. I'm tempted myself with a 3.5 week gap which is right at the start of the dip, 2.5 would have been much better.

• Options
    image wrights any old chap down to make lurking easier. As you were. image
  • Options
    IM talk in their latest pod-cast have it taking place on September the 11th.
  • Options
    So this would be run by the Bolton organisers that nobody likes?
  • Options
    No...................................
  • Options

So someone else has got the Mdot franchise as well. Or does Wales count as a separate country for Mdot.

Or have I missed something obvious?

• Options
    I've already entered one Mdot next year and will also be doing 4-5 halfs. Think I'll save my money for a big one in 2012. Thinking Oz or South Africa
  • Options

Don't think the Mdot people care, if you come up with the money. Germany  has two 2 Mdot races - IMDE and IMR. But they can't expand it endlessly, because they would run out of Kona places to offer.

• Options
    "because they would run out of Kona places to offer"

no they wouldn't - they'd just reduce the ones available at each event so the totals are still the same. and they have changed the rules for pros now which leaves more a/g slots available overall - partly to accommodate the newer events and make the pros work for their places - no guaranteed slots for them all now.
  • Options

The IM Wales race doesn't add further slots either, think of this new race as taking over from the old Bolton one which loses the franchise next year, IMUK has 50 slots for 2011, IMWales has 50 for 2012.

The following year, no IMUK, no overlap, looks like it could be the way forward, however, you never know with IM, they may want two for a few years and see what happens.

I think saying IMUK is run by people no-one likes is a little harsh, you have been on the RW forum for too long. It may not put on a race that you like or many pirates like and this is due to many things but it won't stop people entering.

• Options

FWIW, I thought Bolton was alright on the night so to speak, though running out of gatorade etc wasn't a clever move and swampsition was bad. But these are all history as are many of the moans.

I don't really do abroad given the choice and just wondered why so much potential excitement over IMWales when IMUK seems to generate the opposite.

• Options

Its an English thing!

• Options

Its new and its welsh will be greatimage

Rose so you don't think wales will have any slots for 2011image..not that i was thinking of getting oneimage and even i have to admit Tenby is a beautiful area

• Options
    So, those racing IronMan UK in Bolton in August 2011 are going for slots at Hawaii in October 2011, whereas those racing in IronMan Wales in September 2011 are going for slots at Hawaii in October 2012. So two races in the same country, 6 weeks apart, but going for different years in Hawaii.
  • Options
    Right..so that will give me a bigger rest between the two events...................image.......
  • Options
    Will IM Wales be called IMUK?
  • Options
    Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

Don't think the Mdot people care, if you come up with the money. Germany  has two 2 Mdot races - IMDE and IMR. But they can't expand it endlessly, because they would run out of Kona places to offer.

Wasnt there rumours of making Lanza the European championship? - All Euro Age group winners (and various places) qualify for a European version of Kona.

Dustboy wrote (see)

So someone else has got the Mdot franchise as well. Or does Wales count as a separate country for Mdot.

Or have I missed something obvious?

The IMUK franchise was acquired by WTC (the global owners of IM) last year so they can effectively do what they want and open up as many competing races as they think will sell.

I am surprised at Wales in September though as there could be problems with the weather and certainly the potential sea swim, in light of the Gulf stream the tail end of any US hurricanes could make that interesting image
  • Options
    Gyraffe wrote (see)

someone was saying that IMwales and IMCymru have both been registered on the net..................I prefer IMCymru but we will wait and see.....

In britain I think its pot luck with weather anywhere form April to September...............any month could have torrential weather or heat waves...........last weekend was lovelyimage

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)
    Gyraffe wrote (see)

someone was saying that IMwales and IMCymru have both been registered on the net..................I prefer IMCymru but we will wait and see.....

Is Cymru Welsh for UK?

• Options
    "So two races in the same country, 6 weeks apart, but going for different years in Hawaii."

and

"so you don't think wales will have any slots for 2011"

yes - because under WTC rules, events starting after Sep 1 in any year qualify for the following year for Kona, not the same year.
  • Options
    Cymru is Welsh for Wales.

As to being IMUK or IMWales or IMCymru, I'd guess it'd be IMUK unless there is another one running. IMCymru, who knows where Cymru is, and likewise Wales.
  • Options
    I'm not going to biteimage
  • Options
    what time's the announcement tomorrow??

and have you seen that IM70.3 Galway in Ireland got the WTC green light yesterday? that could be a good one
  • Options
    Pebble 2 wrote (see)
    I'm not going to biteimage

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)

... I don't really do abroad given the choice and just wondered why so much potential excitement over IMWales when IMUK seems to generate the opposite.

Wales is abroad ... ive just come back and they all speak in foreign tongues image
  • Options
    it's to keep you foreigners guessing what we're saying about you..