Options

People who walk the Marathon

Comments

• Options
    What - about you being young, thin etc? <<snigger>>

No, I agree - what it takes is hard work - providing you put in the effort you get the reward. OK - there can be problems along the way like finding out your gait is all over the shop and you need orthotics, but ultimately bar medical conditions it's entirely in your own hands.
  • Options
    so when people say - wow that's amazing, you ran a marathon, i couldn't even run for a bus, i kind of think - well neither could i if i never did any training... it's nothing to do with any inate talent, it's just application.

hang on - am i talking seriously about running? ugh - must stop immediately.
  • Options
    I trained, and trained
    But i still had to walk bits

ill keep trying!
  • Options
    Hmmmm - me too! ANyone would think this was a running forum!

Right - off to wuk :)

No Dr Nic today :(
  • Options
    when i say 'run' ph, i mean 'covered the distance' ;-)
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Getting rid of the 3:15 runners will increase congestion. Even finishing at 3:32, the finish area was still quite thin. It's only when it gets more towards 4 hours that it starts getting overwhelmed.

I agree that anyone can do a marathon, but at the same time people shouldn't do it if they aren't prepared, and the FLM shouldn't encourage them to do so.

In the '94 Marathon magazine, there was an article comparing Eamonn Martin (who won) to some daft person who'd finished in 9 hours with no training at all. "For one, a brisk morning stroll, for the other, a journey to the limits of human endurance". And they meant that Eamonn had it easy, and that daft person was the real hero. Oh, er, right.

• Options
    I can see the point.

I do agree about it being uncrowded at the 3:30 stage - I can't see in light of this why they're essentially cutting down on the GFA places in 2004.

Granted that level of runner will want a bit more space than thos further back, but I don't think they need to go that far.
  • Options
    Well, I have done my best to read the majority of posts here and I have to have my say here as the thread is starting to grind on me.

The overall message I would give (and has been given in many other posts) is:

If you plan to do a PB or are not interested in enjoying and being part of a fantastic day and just merely want to get around as fast as you can to prove your capability and speed, do another marathon where you won't be held up and are more likely to meet your aims. Nothing wrong with this goal but don't expect to do it at the FLM. Take part if you wish but expect the hustle and bustle of the event and stop the moans and groans thereafter. That being said there is some basic etiquette to be followed by all participants. However, no good us talking about it. It should be documented and published by the London Marathon organisation so that everyone has a common understanding, not just a few on this forum. If you feel strongly enough about it, take action and contact them.

The FLM has evolved over the years and it doesn't take too much to realise that the event now is not just for runners to prove their speed and race. It's about experiencing a fantastic day of running/walking a long distance in front of thousands of people and enjoying the day. And most importantly raising money for worthy causes / charities. No other event has the potential for raising the sort of money that the FLM does so don't knock it. I for one would not want it any different.
    Be proud that the UK hold the best marathon worldwide. I also think if you were to obtain a definitive statement from the London Marathon organisation it would not state the event to be purely for runners.

It can't be that bad an event if 70,000 people are rejected each year!!! Come on guys and gals, let's start thinking positive. I bet you all will be trying to get a place for next year....

I won't even start on the runner / walker scenario as I have run out of steam!!! One things for sure, we are all runners. Some fast, some not so fast. Who cares. We all are achievers and again let's stop criticising or downgrading....
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    RRR - Hear, hear, I agree with everything that you say. FLM is a fantastic event, raising millions for charity, inspiring people to take up exercise etc. However, there are plenty of other marathons that would welcome entrants who want to do a race without the congestion and the hype. Different races cater for different types of runners, and the time limits set by those races indicate the market they are aiming for. Dublin Marathon has a huge number of walkers/power walkers, and as in any big race you always get a few that maybe don't start where they should, but you just accept that in a big event this will always happen. I wouldn't dream of blaming slower runners or walkers for my inability to finish in the time I had hoped for.
    I no longer enter FLM as I prefer to do quieter marathons, but I think it's a super event. I usually do a race on the Saturday and on the Sunday settle down on the sofa to watch the best telly all year, Paula running the FLM.

The hardest part of any marathon is to get to that start line, especially those tackling the distance for the first time. Whether they run or walk, and in what time they finish, doesn't matter, they had the guts to get off their butts and have a go.
  • Options
    Shades - I just wanted to say that it's a really good point about the start line being the hardest part of a marathon. I've never done FLM but I did Edinburgh a few days ago. I was pretty slow and have to confes that I was a weeny bit disappointed in my run/walk time. Thinking again, though, in light of what you have just said about having the guts to get off my butt and have a go, I'm fair chuffed! That's a tremendous piece of encouragement to a new runner like me and I'll remember it the next time I'm puffing my way through a training run.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Oh why not! I shall add my two penn'orth! :o)

First - I have no desire to run, walk, waddle or plod a marathon. But if I had the muscle power in my arms I would raise my hat to every single person who crosses the line, in whatever time, whatever their mode of propulsion.

No - I'm a 12-minute miler, but I'm lucky enough to have as a (very supportive) friend, a rather splendid gazelle-type person (2:34 marathon at 37 is quite good, isn't it?).

He says it breaks his heart every year to see and hear of so many people who do the FLM with nowhere near enough training, nowhere near enough basic knowledge about their bodies, nutrition, hydration and the fact that It's Not Cool to run for miles with two fractured shins. Or even a sore knee.

They end up never running again because they've knackered themselves mechanically. Understand that he's not criticising them for wanting to do it, he just wishes that more were made of the physical damage you can do to yourself by putting your body under such strain when it's not ready for it.

He was pleased to hear that I don't want (yet anyway) to tackle a marathon just because I want to tick it off my list of things to do before I die.

He wants me to keep running. Or walking, if I need to.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    FAJ - Well done for completing Edinburgh, and to do your first marathon in the summer too. You didn't say 'never again' and that's a good sign. I don't know of anybody who completed their first marathon in a better time than they had hoped for. But whatever you did was a PB, so keep up the training and when you feel ready you'll be able to knock a few minutes off that PB in your next marathon.

Juliejoo - I agree with what you (and your friend) are saying. I think FLM do all they can to ensure people are fit and able to take part by sending out their magazine with training advice etc. Unfortunately, you can't make people read it or take any notice of such advice, and they will suffer on the day.
  • Options
    Bansleyrunner, You may be right but the organisers aren'tidiots and probably if they didn't cull the GFAs in the 3 - 3:15 bracket there would be loads of whinging messages from them too complaining about being held up.

BO
  • Options
    I can't recall having heard a single one, not that it means it didn't happen, so maybe that is the reason.

I'd have thought there'd be even more of a logjam for the women though - as plenty of GFA women will get mixed up with men of similar pace - 3:15 to 3:45 must have been a lot more crowded than 3:00 to 3:15?
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Coo, I came over here expecting some fireworks on the "walk/don't walk/who's a proper runner" debate, prepared to defend my right to train and then run slowly, only to find basic common sense being talked by several people.

A quick congrats to SHADES who has enough experience to be listened to by all (97 marathons to date is no mean feat).

As another 12 minute miling run/walker (yes, one day I will run all the way!), I have only been 'barged' on very rare occasions. I find that a quick 'beep beep' gets people moving over with a smile on the (very) rare occasions it's necessary.
  • Options
    do people really think they can run a marathon from scratch in 16 weeks ?
  • Options
    The first time I wathced the marathon (last year) I watched someone I know fly by at 22 miles looking great. I then came back 2 hrs later to see people looking like they were in total agony! I swore then that if I ever did it, I would do it properly and be up there with the guy I knew and not in pain at the back.

This year I did run it, and I ran all the way. I was in pain by the end but finished in a respectable 4 hrs 12. I don't think people realsie quite how far it actually is!
  • Options
    how does FLM compare sizewize to other big maras like New York, boston and in relation to slowere runners, run walkers walkers and charity fundraising ?
  • Options
    I'll add there that I was running 30 miles a week quite comfortably before I got my place and trained really well taking in all the advice of the forums. THey helped me no end!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I do think the 16 and even 12 weeks schedules (from scratch) are a bit irresponsible.
  • Options
    12 weeks !!!! er 12 weeks to a decent 10k maybe !
  • Options
    Glad you all think this. I am attempting HalHigden's Intermediate I schedule as I have done 1 marathon and am doing Abingdon. I think this is very tough schedule with one day off a week!!! I am not sticking to the schedule either cause I am shattered. This is an 18 week schedule but with one day off a week...... I guess there's no easy solution to training a marathon though.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Well, yes and no. I'm always a bit suspicious about whether all those Higdon "5m easy" runs on off days are any better than staying in and watching the TV. You can mount a pretty good marathon campaign on 3 good sessions a week (long run, sprint/hills and pace run).

And without wanting to offend anyone (you all seem to be very easily offended on this thread) of course it's possible to train from scratch in 12 weeks. It depends on who you are and how old/fit you were when you started, but 3 months is enough for many people to get quite seriously fit.

• Options
    FLM is about the same size as Chicago, NY, Paris and Berlin - though in terms of overall participants Berlin is by far the largest race,they have separate classification for power walkers and inline skaters. Last year there were about 8000 inliners! Growing so fast that this year for the first time the inliners are racing separately on the Saturday and the rest of us as usual on Sunday.
  • Options
    Toomuchapplepie is quite right - 3 months is plenty for many people, although I would add if you're a true beginner then I think you should build up your running slowly over about a year before tackling the training load needed to comfortably run a full marathon. On the other hand, if you're fit and strong from other sports such as cycling it might take a lot less effort.
    Incidentally, I always think that training is like money in the bank - after years of distance training it takes much less effort to get fit for another marathon race. In the end it all comes down to experience and listening to your body.
  • Options
    wow that sounds like much more fun !

powerwalkers - hmm.....
  • Options
    Bune - there's more of those power walkers than you would expect, and they take it seriously. The year before last I got overtaken by the same pair of girls at every water station during the 2nd half of the course! They finished in around 5 hours.

Inliner races look too dangerous to me, I've seen quite a few and several nasty multiple pile-ups. Last year's finish almost wiped out the crew of helpers at the line, two guys both going flat out trying to win the race, clocked doing almost 50km per hour! The winner's time was 1 hr 01
  • Options
    are they winter speedskaters in summer training?
  • Options
    never thought of that, could be I suppose, but inline skating is fast developing into a definite sport of its own here, many cities have one evening a week in summer where some of the streets are closed to traffic. Ludwigshafen has regular training routes of 10km, 25km and a short lap around the city center.
  • Options
    Sounds like good advice. Glad to hear that training will get easier (in theory) over time!! :)